Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Mon AM 10.4 easy (7.55 min/m) PM 6.2 easy (8.07 min/m)
    Tues AM 5 easy (8.39 min/m) PM 6.3 (7.59 min/m)
    Wed 4 easy, 24x400 Continuous (LT/Easy), 4 easy
    Splits:Targets - 85/1.45 (5.40/7 min paces).
    Average - 84/1.43 (5.37/ 6.52 min paces)
    Thurs AM 4 rec (8.49 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.40 min/m)
    Fri AM 8 easy (7.48 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.27 min/m)
    Sat 3 rec (8.22 min/m)
    Sunday Rock and Roll Half - 1.21.34 (6.10 average)
    (4,3,2,1 miles MP w/ 1 steady b/w)
    Splits: 6.02, 6.02, 5.59, 6.02, 6.27, 5.54, 6.01, 6.07, 6.31, 6.01, 6.18, 6.44, 6.08

Total Weekly Mileage: 81.5

Hard to believe this marks a third of the way through the marathon training phase. Cumulative fatigue has well and truly kicked in now. Getting what I like to call #MMM (not to be confused with Turds Tub Tales) - Major Marathon mood swings; that feeling when one moment you feel you need a week of running before you lace up your shoes for an easy 6 mile to suddenly feeling like you are invincible and that you could go out with the leaders come Marathon Sunday (doesn't have the same ring to it as marathon Monday.

A fair bit of the week has been a blur to be honest and just a haze of training, working and eating and definitely experiencing mental fatigue (apologies to those I may have been slow getting back to on emails or forgetting to respond :o)

Wednesday's session was once again rescued by Dublin Runner who decided to join me. The basic run down of this session is 6 miles on the track changing paces every lap between Tempo pace and easy. Felt good on this session and felt controlled. I have botched these type of sessions before by doing the on or off sections too fast early on and them ending up being a death march but this time I was pretty well disciplined. It was definitely a slow burner though as the first few you feel grand and the constant pace changes keep you mentally tuned in so much that it flies by though by the last few reps I was working a good bit and that was evident by the HR on the off sections not really dropping which is exactly what you want to see by the end. Even managed to average a second or two quicker on the easy as well as tempo paced laps so definitely good workout. The 4 miles easy home after were tough but that is what is gonna make the difference come the 30th.

Just a short one Saturday for 2 reasons (mileage was in danger of being way too high for the week and also only had a short window while on lunch break as I was working till 4 and straight across town for the match after with herself. Made the decision to go into the Sunday session on fresh legs and ensure I gave it a good effort.

Sunday's race was not in the initial plans (had a 15 mile steady pace originally) but decided to change it up and get out for the club. It was also a good chance to get MP miles around the park and in a race setting so was a win win.

I knew it was gonna be a tough day when got to the start line with the wind. It was nice to not have to worry about pushing up in the corral so no warm up and just ambled in casual enough saying high to the few I knew that I bumped into.

Settled into the pace quick enough and the 1st few miles rattled off quite consistently even with the climb around by Christ Church and the buildings seemed to give us a little protection from the wind (6.02, 6.01, 5.58, 6.02)

A nice little group had formed and did consider just doing 13 miles @ MP instead but I thought better of it 1) because its still 12 weeks out and tougher session than want to be doing just yet and 2) the steady miles were a good practice of discipline for the day to prevent myself going off too hard to early when feel good, so I said my goodbyes and backed off the pace. The pace change was subtle but enough to feel like I was trotting though it took a while to start to see target paces or close to (6.30-6.45 was the aim) coming to the end of this mile a north sligo guy had just caught and passed me but as soon as I heard the watch go I was gone again.

Next segment and I was cruising again. Paces were a little all over the place simply because of the course profile (5.53, 6.01, 6.07) was a bit surprised by the last one mind you as this was the only part of the course that had wind on our backs (despite it being fairly warm)

And then we hit the park.........

This is where the session started to get tricky. Fortuitously my steady mile coincided with coming into the park up chesterfield avenue (6.31). I felt like I was controlled but I could see the lads around me were not kicking on here, the wind seemed to be sapping them all the more so they were running about same pace as me (i'll take that) got going again down Kybher and the wind was being negated by the downhill so I was still moving well. Military hill came then and I drove up it well, turned the corner and despite effort being there was reduced to near walk. I was really annoyed that the pace dropped as much as it did but I was already working much higher than i wanted to be just to maintain that (6.01, 6.17 :mad:)

At this point notions of what it would be like come October crept into my head and started to think to hell with this marathon racing shenanigans just get strong from the training :P thankfully they subsided and got back on track although had to work a bit on this steady mile (6.44). It was great not to have to contend with the Upper Glen road at the end of a hard race with winds in your face around the s bends etc, still have nightmares of the GIR earlier this year with similar conditions.

A Bro Pearse lad caught me here and we had been tooing and frowing a good bit for the whole race with my pace changes talked to him a bit and came to an agreement to work together the last mile (didn't tell him I was sessioning) hoped he would come with me in the last mile but I think the pace change was a bit too dramatic and I kicked on. Legs were heavy at this stage but overall still feeling quite strong.

Happy with the effort and ended up first scorer for the club (niggles/injuries etc) so was worth doing for that alone as well as capping off another good week. Very happy with the 1st 6 weeks, hopefully I can maintain it for the next 8 till the taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Mon AM 10.4 easy (7.55 min/m) PM 6.2 easy (8.07 min/m)
    Tues AM 5 easy (8.39 min/m) PM 6.3 (7.59 min/m)
    Wed 4 easy, 24x400 Continuous (LT/Easy), 4 easy
    Splits:Targets - 85/1.45 (5.40/7 min paces).
    Average - 84/1.43 (5.37/ 6.52 min paces)
    Thurs AM 4 rec (8.49 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.40 min/m)
    Fri AM 8 easy (7.48 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.27 min/m)
    Sat 3 rec (8.22 min/m)
    Sunday Rock and Roll Half - 1.21.34 (6.10 average)
    (4,3,2,1 miles MP w/ 1 steady b/w)
    Splits: 6.02, 6.02, 5.59, 6.02, 6.27, 5.54, 6.01, 6.07, 6.31, 6.01, 6.18, 6.44, 6.08

Total Weekly Mileage: 81.5

Hard to believe this marks a third of the way through the marathon training phase. Cumulative fatigue has well and truly kicked in now. Getting what I like to call #MMM (not to be confused with Turds Tub Tales) - Major Marathon mood swings; that feeling when one moment you feel you need a week of running before you lace up your shoes for an easy 6 mile to suddenly feeling like you are invincible and that you could go out with the leaders come Marathon Sunday (doesn't have the same ring to it as marathon Monday.

A fair bit of the week has been a blur to be honest and just a haze of training, working and eating and definitely experiencing mental fatigue (apologies to those I may have been slow getting back to on emails or forgetting to respond :o)

Wednesday's session was once again rescued by Dublin Runner who decided to join me. The basic run down of this session is 6 miles on the track changing paces every lap between Tempo pace and easy. Felt good on this session and felt controlled. I have botched these type of sessions before by doing the on or off sections too fast early on and them ending up being a death march but this time I was pretty well disciplined. It was definitely a slow burner though as the first few you feel grand and the constant pace changes keep you mentally tuned in so much that it flies by though by the last few reps I was working a good bit and that was evident by the HR on the off sections not really dropping which is exactly what you want to see by the end. Even managed to average a second or two quicker on the easy as well as tempo paced laps so definitely good workout. The 4 miles easy home after were tough but that is what is gonna make the difference come the 30th.

Just a short one Saturday for 2 reasons (mileage was in danger of being way too high for the week and also only had a short window while on lunch break as I was working till 4 and straight across town for the match after with herself. Made the decision to go into the Sunday session on fresh legs and ensure I gave it a good effort.

Sunday's race was not in the initial plans (had a 15 mile steady pace originally) but decided to change it up and get out for the club. It was also a good chance to get MP miles around the park and in a race setting so was a win win.

I knew it was gonna be a tough day when got to the start line with the wind. It was nice to not have to worry about pushing up in the corral so no warm up and just ambled in casual enough saying high to the few I knew that I bumped into.

Settled into the pace quick enough and the 1st few miles rattled off quite consistently even with the climb around by Christ Church and the buildings seemed to give us a little protection from the wind (6.02, 6.01, 5.58, 6.02)

A nice little group had formed and did consider just doing 13 miles @ MP instead but I thought better of it 1) because its still 12 weeks out and tougher session than want to be doing just yet and 2) the steady miles were a good practice of discipline for the day to prevent myself going off too hard to early when feel good, so I said my goodbyes and backed off the pace. The pace change was subtle but enough to feel like I was trotting though it took a while to start to see target paces or close to (6.30-6.45 was the aim) coming to the end of this mile a north sligo guy had just caught and passed me but as soon as I heard the watch go I was gone again.

Next segment and I was cruising again. Paces were a little all over the place simply because of the course profile (5.53, 6.01, 6.07) was a bit surprised by the last one mind you as this was the only part of the course that had wind on our backs (despite it being fairly warm)

And then we hit the park.........

This is where the session started to get tricky. Fortuitously my steady mile coincided with coming into the park up chesterfield avenue (6.31). I felt like I was controlled but I could see the lads around me were not kicking on here, the wind seemed to be sapping them all the more so they were running about same pace as me (i'll take that) got going again down Kybher and the wind was being negated by the downhill so I was still moving well. Military hill came then and I drove up it well, turned the corner and despite effort being there was reduced to near walk. I was really annoyed that the pace dropped as much as it did but I was already working much higher than i wanted to be just to maintain that (6.01, 6.17 :mad:)

At this point notions of what it would be like come October crept into my head and started to think to hell with this marathon racing shenanigans just get strong from the training :P thankfully they subsided and got back on track although had to work a bit on this steady mile (6.44). It was great not to have to contend with the Upper Glen road at the end of a hard race with winds in your face around the s bends etc, still have nightmares of the GIR earlier this year with similar conditions.

A Bro Pearse lad caught me here and we had been tooing and frowing a good bit for the whole race with my pace changes talked to him a bit and came to an agreement to work together the last mile (didn't tell him I was sessioning) hoped he would come with me in the last mile but I think the pace change was a bit too dramatic and I kicked on. Legs were heavy at this stage but overall still feeling quite strong.

Happy with the effort and ended up first scorer for the club (niggles/injuries etc) so was worth doing for that alone as well as capping off another good week. Very happy with the 1st 6 weeks, hopefully I can maintain it for the next 8 till the taper.
    The North Sligo runner was me Myles. I was saying to myself what is this luntic at. You seemed to slow down going down hills and speed up going up hills! Took me a while to put 2&2 together that you might be doing a session! Ya picked a tough day for it!

conavitzky wrote: »
    The North Sligo runner was me Myles. I was saying to myself what is this luntic at. You seemed to slow down going down hills and speed up going up hills! Took me a while to put 2&2 together that you might be doing a session! Ya picked a tough day for it!

Small world. Apologies for the mad race tactics probably should have said it early on. Well done yesterday you ran a strong race as every time I caught up with you you seemed to have kicked on to the next group of runners and worked through the field well.

Definitely a tough day for it but easier to have it with water stations and people to run with than doing that session solo in that wind.

Mon AM 5 easy (7.53 min/m) PM 6.3 easy (7.47 min/m)
    Tuesday 11w/ 4x8 min progressive LT w/3 min rec - (5.55, 5.44, 5.45, 5.40)
    Wed 11 hilly (7.34 min/m)
    Thurs AM 3 easy (8.33 min/m) PM 7.4 easy (8.03 min/m)
    Fri AM 15.5 w/ 10x1km w/2.30 rec (3.24, 3.23,3.24, 3.23, 3.25, 3.22, 3.23, 3.22, 3.21, 3.06) PM 3.2 rec (9.24 min/m)
    Sat 7 easy (8.04 min/m)
    Sun 16 progression (6.59 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 86

One of the tougher weeks I have had in a while for a few reasons. Tuesday's session was one I was dreading seeing the gusty wind out the office window blowing tree's, manically taunting me. Made the mistake of leaving the flats at home also but knew that every day can't be a handy in terms of motivation.

Used my usual loop but mistakenly had the wind in my face on the most exposed stretch up by the sports pitches. First one I felt sluggish and struggled to break 6 min pace, figured it was just gonna be one of those days and tried not to worry about the pace. Second one was a different matter entirely as I was hitting mid 5.30s having to slow myself down, the legs must have finally decided that no amount of complain was gonna get them out of the session so they may as well start helping. Felt good next two despite the wind. Last one and I knew I had to pop back to the office to pick up my bag so about a quarter of the way through I veered off the loop. This ended up making it tough enough as I was battling into the wind for almost the entire rep, misjudged the distance two so I was stuck with doing laps around the office block till the watch beeped. Was sucking diesel at this point just praying for the watch.

Wednesday I decided to throw in as many hills as I could find on the route home and ended up with a solid run up booterstown,Mt Anville, by Dundrum SC and around by Ballinteer. Not quite billygoat style ala some of the Wicklow folk around here but enough to hit the spot. This left legs a little heavy next day where ended up in work on my off day for a meeting so had a really short turn around between runs here and wilted a bit on the afternoon run with the Doc.

Friday and once again joined by DR for this one. This was one of the few sessions I have in the plan that were quicker than LT. Was a little apprehensive in how it would go and whether there is any pace left in the legs at all. Session itself was grand the recoveries were generous so I shouldn't have any time holding what ever pace I was able to manage. Legs felt like junk throughout the session as we rattled off one after another. By the time we got to about 6-7 the attritional nature off the session was becoming apparent as the legs were feeling it however paces weren't suffering and aerobically felt fine. 9th rep and after rotating the lead each rep with the wind he decided to kick on a bit in the last two hundred and said he wanted to do the same in the last one. I told him didn't mind pushing pace last one as given this was a rare speed session for me in this cycle I felt it would be beneficial. I put the boot down and the legs responded thankfully. Actually felt really good on last rep, legs turning over smooth and the pace while fast felt alot easier than it would normally feel (no sense of lactate build up or hanging on for dear life. Was really surprised to see it come in at 3k pace in 3.06. I was cooked for the rest of the day though and ended up doing everything in my power to aid recovery (good hydration, nutrient dense food, slapped on recovery boots for 90 min) over this cycle the days after sessions have been the ones I have focused on most in terms of getting the best out of them through good recovery and for the most part they seem to be working.

HR a little elevated the next day so kept it nice and handy but thankfully easy pace matched up with HR on the run so felt I was not too bad.

*Spolier Alert* - Those trying to read a sensible training log leave now *

Sunday was a disaster day. Had woken up during night sweating and coupled this up with sleeping through alarm in the morning (not normally like me) the body was already telling me it was not 100% right. Decided to put back my session as I knew I wasn't fully fit. Only problem is next week is a step back week and I didn't wanna push it off and encroach on that. Made the decision to do it after work (would allow me to justify staying up for the athletics as I would only be in the door)

Throughout work I knew I wasn't feeling right HR was a little high early on but came down into acceptable levels as it went on. Plenty of fluids and honey,ginger and lemon tea as well. Thoughts of doing session in the morning were looming but with it being a race week and a planned down week I figured I would get through it.

Set out from work and HR was a little high but I put that down to fact it was uphill to the house and I had the backpack. Dropped off the bag and HR was back down low. Stomach not feeling great and even though legs felt fine the body overall didn't, nothing in particular just bleh. Had mapped out a solid route for this run with some good honest climbs so was a little worried about the effort needed in the later stages. at 5 miles my body fired a warning shot as the food I had carefully selected throughout the day to try and have me as well fueled as possible was rejected. If I wasn't wearing luminous coloured shorts and jacket could have easily passed for a drunk on the side of the street :p

5 miles in, one dinner lost and I figured that I would be good to go. The plan was 18 miles broken down into 3 six mile segments - easy, steady and MP. hit the steady and body didn't feel too bad paces were holding steady even with the climbs from walkinstown up the Greenhills Rd. I had been justified in my dogmatic approach to this session.......... or so I thought. Came to Aherns in Firhouse and once again the body reminded me it was not my best fan. At this stage I kinda knew I was in trouble and worst of all I was a long way from home. Decided if I was gonna make it home I would have to make the MP section a little easier than initially planned so rather than go up by Scholarstown and climb to Marley I would take the low road (Firhouse) and down by Spawell roundabout.

MP section and I just didn't have it. Aerobically felt comfortable and legs felt good just couldn't push myself to hit MP. The pace had been upped slightly so tried to maintain that. Managed to trick myself into doing a detour to tag on so that it was still a decent length run. In the end it wasn't the worse run in the world and I think I got away with it in terms of not making myself any worse but it was a stark reminded to listen when your body is trying to tell you something.

Frank Duffy next week and a step back week so interested to see what I can do there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

*Spolier Alert* - Those trying to read a sensible training log leave now *

*wags finger* tut tut, you should know better than to go running when you're not feeling well! :p (yes, I did the same thing yesterday but that doesn't count :cool:) The great thing about the HR monitor I find is that you can get away with stuff like this as long as the HR isn't through the roof you're probably okay...

Best of luck on Saturday, I won't make it over to cheer after all as on RD duties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I hope you cleaned up that mess you left in Firhouse!

Firedance wrote: »
    *wags finger* tut tut, you should know better than to go running when you're not feeling well! :p (yes, I did the same thing yesterday but that doesn't count :cool:) The great thing about the HR monitor I find is that you can get away with stuff like this as long as the HR isn't through the roof you're probably okay...

Best of luck on Saturday, I won't make it over to cheer after all as on RD duties.

To be honest I would normally not have risked it but have a planned down week to break up the cycle as well as the race next week meant that leaving the extra day would have encroached on the recovery so I took more long term view (though smart thing would have probably been to just scrap the session altogether)

Nice handy week should undo and damage I did though thankfully.
    davedanon wrote: »
    I hope you cleaned up that mess you left in Firhouse!

Was trying to save it for the noisy neighbour territory but just couldn't manage it.

Mon 4 miles easy (8.49 min/m)
    Tues 6 miles easy (8.06 min/m)
    Wed 5.3 miles w/ 2 miles @LT (5.41, 5.42)
    Thurs 5.6 miles easy (7.53 min/m)
    Fri 2.3 miles shakeout (9.25 min/m)
    Sat Frank Duffy - 59.04 (33rd) (5.51 min/m)
    Sun 11.5 easy (7.48 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 46.4 miles

Step back week this week after high mileage the last 7 weeks it was a chance to freshen the legs up and get ready for one of the very few race efforts during this cycle of training. To be honest it was a godsend as this week was manic in work with much longer than usual hours and I was fried from that.

In terms of the race I felt strength wise I was much stronger than my PB earlier in the year (56.59) but was a bit apprehensive about given lack of quicker stuff in the past 10 weeks so didn't know how it was gonna go though was quietly confident I could give the PB a good scare........

....That was until I woke up the morning of and saw the weather. PB out the wind so figured just get out and race it and see how it went. Given the weather I didn't do a long warm up (foolishly) or too many drills just focused on not getting soaked to the skin. Good few faces including boardsies old and new (in particular cwgatling and Marthastew)

Got out well in first mile, felt a little sluggish but legs soon settled in. Dublin Runner soon on my shoulder as we exchanged pleasantries (looked like he had taken the casual warm up approach himself as he looked panicked as if he had just made the start line) First mile was (5.35) exactly where I wanted to be at this stage of the race. There were a handful of us in a group now (a number of guys I know and race in around the 56/57 PB region) and pace was a little hot but wind was on our backs and on the downhill I knew being in a group would be important later in the race (2nd mile in 5.23)

Here was where the assistance of the course was stopping. A bit of yo-yoing of the back and back on to the group but despite this pace was fine and didn't really feel the drag at all that I thought I would around the S bends (5.37)

Down military hill and back up by the Wellington monument nagivated well enough but here is where I made a major cock up. Dunno was it a lapse in concentration or working a little too hard but I fell off the back of the group just coming up to 4 mile mark (5.44)

This was exactly where I had told myself before the race I didn't wanna be; isolated into the wind up the North Road. Next three miles were fairly rough. I felt like I had completely blown up although pace wasn't as bad as I thought in hindsight (5.56, 6.09). Looping back around to Chesterfield Ave and got the full wrath of the wind in our faces (6.09). At this point a Civil Servant guy who I recognised caught me and I finally had someone to start working with again. He was pushing on and I managed to pull things together and get going again now wind was crossing us. My plan was to muster up as much energy as I could because I knew I was gonna need it on Acres Road and then climb the upper Glen Road.

Thankfully we were caught just before we got past the Papal Cross car park but a garda Siochana runner who was as strong as an ox and was kicking on the pace. He lead the charge as the other three of use pushed on with him each taking on the lead when we felt we could to share the work load (Mile 8 - 5.57).

Finishing with the wind we were met with the hill. Last time I had to face this hill in a race was the Great Ireland Run where the wheels were coming off and I was battling to just keep it together. Today was no different as I dug in but I was struggling and had number of familiar names on the chase (club mate cwgatling, 1st women Gladys Ganiel and Catriona McKiernan) the 1st two caught and past me by the time we got to the top of the climb but from here there was no wind or hills to contend with and the legs started getting going again (Mile 9 - 6.03).

It was weird from here I felt strong and legs were moving well and despite the suffering of the previous 55 min I now felt finally in a place where I could put the strength to good use. Managed to start clawing back the distance and was getting closer and closer passing 1st women but just not enough left to bridge the gap to cwgatling for top team spot (6.01)

Crossed the line in 59.04 official (33rd overall)

Afterthoughts
    Am I happy? Time wise goes without saying and you kinda want to come out with the figures to back up the training when you are racing so sparsely during marathon training,but overall not the greatest race. Not the worst mind you but I was well back from Dublin Runner the group I would have hoped to be near but I think the size of the gap was more down to where I got isolated. Should have kept in touch between miles 4-7 and had I done so I reckon would have been a solid days effort.

Still it is what it is and I am not panicked about it by any means, the legs are fresh from the down week so time to get back to the grind (which this mornings run was given the race and the late night Olympics)

Mon AM 7.2 easy (7.18 min/m) PM 6.3 easy (7.44 min/m)
    Tues AM 6.5 easy (7.43 min/m) PM 6.3 easy (8.04 min/m)
    Wed 14 steady (6.29 min/m)
    Thurs 8 easy (8.13 min/m)
    Fri 6.5 easy (7.11 min/m)
    Sat AM 4,3,2,1 km w/3 min rec (progressive LT-10k) - Splits - 5.44, 5.42, 5.28, 5.20
    PM 6.2 easy (7.43 min/m)
    Sun 18.7 easy (7.45 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 91.4

Race out of the way so it was back to it with a bang as I start into the serious side of training with another 8 weeks to go till taper.

First few days I am not sure as to whether or not it was the race or just the fact that I was making a conscious effort to do a bit more climbing in my easy runs but the quads were feeling the effects especially Tuesday evening with DOMS well and truly settled in. Spent a good bit of time on Tuesday night ensuring I did what I could to help (1 hr in compressions recovery boots, a protein shake and as much water as I could before bed) Seemed to do the trick as felt good Wednesday morning.
    I had arranged some company for part of this session but sadly last min cancellation meant I was facing this alone. To be honest it wasn't half as bad as I had built up in my head and once I got going I settled into the groove fairly well. Overall session was fine aerobically (HR a little high but given the warm weather was to be expected) and was quite controlled though the quads had taking a mashing by the end. Overall was very happy with the session though felt it for remainder of the day.

Friday was the first time, despite work being crazy the last while, that it actually interfered with training as I have usually managed to fit in runs around it but the late window I had carved out for second run got well and truly shut when ended up working much later than planned. Not gonna dwell on it but certainly not gonna let it become a habit either.

The weekend saw a change around of my plan swapping next weeks midweeks to this weekend and vice versa. The simple reason for this was company on the long run. These have been my achilles heel a little some what so far as I can do the steady's and progressions alone no problem but the easy pace time on feet runs are where I mentally moreso than physically struggle. We all have our sessions that are not our favourite and for me it's these simply because I am usually time sensitive to point where in the past carving out 2-3 hours for a single easy run has not been a priority (have no problem doing 2x10 milers over a 20 mentally) but they have to be done so jumped at the chance for company Sunday.

In the mean time had a session to contend with. Session itself was not too bad. I was a little worried I would struggle with hitting 10k paces as I ran the 4k and 3k reps but once I got going the legs responded thankfully and felt good the last while. Very happy with the session

Sunday had the company of yaboya and Dublinrunner for a handy one around Phoenix Park. Even had a good bit of support as we were mistaken for runners in the Dublin Tri :eek::eek: handy enough one despite legs being a little bit heavy from session felt nice and controlled. Wrapped the morning up nicely and freed up the afternoon perfectly for one of the better games of GAA this year (not even taking the result into account :D)

Mon AM 3 easy (8.26 min/m) PM 6.2 easy (7.07 min/m)
    Tues AM 7.7 easy (8.15 min/m) PM 4.1 easy (8.28 min/m)
    Wed AM 6 x (2k @MP/ 1k steady) PM 3 rec (9.25 min/m)

(Splits-paces):
    (7.30/4.02) - (6.02/6.29)
    (7.34/4.07) - (6.05/6.38)
    (7.31/4.08) - (6.03/6.39)
    (7.33/4.08) - (6.05/6.39)
    (7.33/4.17) - (6.05/6.54)
    (7.37/4.13) - (6.08/6.47)

Total Session: 16.8 miles w/ 11 ave 6.17 pace

Thurs 6.4 easy (7.42 min/m)
    Fri AM 5.7 easy (7.52 min/m) PM 5.1 easy (7.37 min/m)
    Sat AM 7.1 easy (7.42 min/m) PM 4.4 easy (8.06 min/m)
    Sun 4x8 min @LT heartrate 3 min rec

Splits: 6.02, 6.02, 6.07, 6.15

Total Weekly Mileage:77.5 miles

Time for a bit of a catch up on this as I have been away on holidays for the last few weeks.

This week was a bit all over the place. Between trying to front load the week, getting everything wrapped up in work and coaching plans left was a bit frazzled (so apologies to anyone if anything was missed)

Wednesday was the first of my planned marathon specific sessions. I was dreading it for a while to be honest especially as a solo long run is definitely one of my weaknesses (which needs to be tackled to have any hope in the marathon)

Went up to Marlay for this and despite a bit of wind managed to get into my stride fairly handy. The MP parts were fine though and the session actually rattled on quicker than I would have expected but slowly but surely the steady sections were feeling tougher and tougher and my legs were being slowly ground down. Initally had planned 7 reps but resolved myself to six as I think I probably over estimated it after long runs Sunday. Legs felt it after but delighted to get it done before the weekend as I knew I would struggle to get this done on holidays between not knowing the area as well as the heat.

Flew into Albufeira for 2 weeks and I knew that this was gonna be the toughest part of the marathon training plan because;

1) Heat was gonna be torture on the volume

2) Holiday with herself so had to make concessions meaning running early to avoid heat (despite the odd late night previous) or later when she was getting ready to head out for dinner meaning that I had short windows. During the day was not really an option due to the heat and planned activities (boat trips etc)

Running was fine over there, not mad on the cobbled paths but the area was great for hills and was doing more climbing per week off half the mileage I do back home. There was a track nearby but with opening hours not being great I resorted to a relatively quite loop for sessions that was honest (though did have a 150m section on very crappy cobbles) not ideal but made the best of it.

Ran the session on Sunday off HR rather than look at the splits and in around what I wanted (bar a pit stop allowing it to drop on second rep) was fairly fried in the heat by end of the session though and left it at 4 reps.

• Advertisement

Mon AM 8 easy (7.55 min/m) PM 4 miles easy (7.25 min/m)
    Tues 12 min MP, 6x1 min hills , 6 min MP
    Wed AM 7 easy (8.08 min) PM 4 easy (8.05 min/m)
    Thurs AM 5 easy (7.50 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.18 min/m)
    Fri AM 4 easy (8.07 min/m) PM 5 Fartlek (7.12 min/m)
    Sat OFF
    Sun 1.5 easy :o

Total Weekly Mileage: 50.6 miles

Not the greatest of weeks for a couple of reasons but not a total disaster.

Decided to use the terrain to my advantage with doing the session I did on Tuesday. Some narly hills around so I felt like it was a good one to really have me hurting (something I haven't been doing too much in marathon training) Felt strong on the MP sections (no looking at watching just HR again but the hills had me nearly crawling in the last 15 seconds.

Friday's session was another one I knew with heat couldn't do anything sustained so I thought I would give the Monghetti Fartlek a bash (2x90, 4x60, 4x30,4x15 on/off) but again heat got the best of me and pulled the plug after third 30 sec. HR shows I was working though so not a complete waste of time.

Saturday marked my first day off since June. Knew I only had one window to get out today with but this went by the wayside as we spent a few hours waiting to be seen by doc after the OH had a bad allergic reaction to bites. Thankfully cleared up quick enough and she was back to herself after injection and bed rest for a while but it put an end to running plans.

Sunday was self inflicted and getting a mile in was an achievement of mind over matter but I was flogging a dead horse as I guzzed down any bit of liquids to stave off the hangover from hell.

Poor week but taking out the weekend it was not a complete write off but can't really afford too many more like that this close to Dublin.

Mon AM 6 easy (8.13 min/m) PM 4 miles easy (7.24 min/m)
    Tues6 easy (7.35 min/m)
    Wed OFF
    Thurs OFF
    Fri AM 6.4 easy (8.00 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.05 min/m)
    Sat 7.4 miles easy (7.59 min/m)
    Sun 21 easy (7.50 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 56 miles

The holiday horror continues.....

Another fairly poor week. Wednesday was last day of holidays so a grotto/dolphin boat cruise, cocktails and dinner took up pretty much the day so I didn't get a chance to get out, though one day wasn't gonna hurt me I thought.

Phone call Wednesday before boarding the flight and a bit of a melt down in work meant that I was in taxi straight off the plan over and didn't get out till after 12 (the great intentions of long run were put to rest then and there)

Missed Saturdays evening run again due to work so I put out an SOS for a Session Sunday, unfortunately no one was able to answer the call however the club lads were doing 18 in morning so I made a [point of getting up and doing that as I would have struggled on my own with the session so pushed it to next week as its more race specific so i am dropping another session in favour of it.

Met up with the lads and handy one and flew by, great to have the company as these are the ones I dread more than any (pace changes keep the mind focused so can deal with them better)

Felt a bit of a twinge in the quad at about 15 but I think the poor nutrition and hydration plus it being an early morning run before me brekkie probably didnt help, nothing major but will monitor the next few days just to be safe.

Distractions out of the way need to get the head down for the next month and get some serious work done.

Mon AM 6 easy (7.58 min/m) PM 9 easy(7.20 min/m)
    Tues AM 5 easy (8.01 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.32 min/m)
    Wed AM 6.4 easy (8.11 min/m) PM 6.3 easy (7.56 min/m)
    Thursday 6 x (3k @MP/ 1k steady)

(Splits-paces):
    (11.20/4.13) - (6.05/6.47)
    (11.22/4.15) - (6.06/6.50)
    (11.18/4.11) - (6.04/6.44)
    (11.22/4.15) - (6.06/6.50)
    (11.24/4.15) - (6.07/6.50)
    (11.26/4.20) - (6.08/6.58)

Total: 19 miles @ 6.44 min/m pace

Fri AM 8 easy (7.37 min/m) PM 3.4 rec (8.24 min/m)
    Sat AM 4.1 easy (8.24 min/m) PM 8.18 min/m)
    Sunday 16 progression (6.53 min/m average)

Total Weekly Mileage: 97.4 miles

Hitting the business end of training now with this being the first of a month block of heavy Marathon specific training. After the holiday I was a little apprehensive about lost fitness but fell back into rhythm of things pretty quickly and was rattling away despite work being mental (12-13 hours out of the house)

Session alleviated any reservations I had. To be honest I was bricking this session but knew it had to be done. Paces were a little on the slower side compared to session I did before the holiday but it was windier and still within acceptable ranges. Did these in Bushy which is not the biggest park but the fact that it was over 1km per loop meant it was not mentally as frustrating as Marley had been previously. MP paces were fine though I was working on the Steady sections weirdly enough legs were like lead by end but still was a very solid session with 15 miles at good quality. Paid for it 24 hours later with the hardest recovery run ever after completely bonking.

Saturday mileage was a little down due to a few beverages at the Dean Straing and Jerry Buting Q and A (fascinating discussion) but a decent day overall just struggled getting out before work for anything long.

Progression run Sunday was my 3rd long run in 7 days so I was a little apprehensive but felt grand throughout to be honest never felt like I was straining and worked down to just below marathon pace, had been feeding the OH's parents dog all week so I was a little stuck for time on this one so didn't break the 100 mile mark but I don't wanna get caught up in the arbitrary numbers especially given I had capped off a very satisfying week. Confidence restored that I am still on track for a solid marathon as long as I can get a few more weeks like that in before the taper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great mileage last week. Regarding recovery, are you doing anything specific that you wouldn't do for non marathon training?

Great mileage last week. Regarding recovery, are you doing anything specific that you wouldn't do for non marathon training?

With regards to doing things differently I wouldn't say that I have dramatically changed my approach but I am definite paying a bit more attention to it. As cliché as it is I am just focusing on doing the little things right

- Making sure easy days are as easy as they need to be (if I have had a few drinks night before make sure I am well hydrated and rested and scale back pace)

- Trying to make sure I am getting as much sleep as possible (no farting about on laptop or watching crap till early hours

- Good eating habits - not just eating well but ensuring that I am eating enough I think this is something I have been victim of in the past as well as probably one too many dirty takeaways out of laziness rather than actually wanting them

- small bit of dynamic work in the last while before runs I feel particularly tight on (nothing too major - leg swings etc) and a bit more time on the foam roller and stretching with resistance bands throughout the day where I can and plenty of eccentric calf raises

Between irregulars hours in work training and treatments I am not getting too many treatments myself as very hard to get last min appointments from the lads I would normally go to so I invested in a pair of these for the clinic.

The-Effectiveness_of_the_RecoveryPump.jpg.opt644x161o0%2C0s644x161.jpg

Not a substitute for treatments but I have found them useful for DOMS and handy enough to throw on in evenings 1-2 times a week and are good to complement a treatment plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Saturday mileage was a little down due to a few beverages at the Dean Straing and Jerry Buting Q and A (fascinating discussion)

So, guilty or not?? :D

Great session btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Looking good there today, I daresay you looked quite relaxed for a championship race!

Looking good there today, I daresay you looked quite relaxed for a championship race!

Cheers, aerobically felt good but legs were sluggish, reckon had the distance been doubled pace would have been about the same. Still nice to get a rare sub 6 min paced session under the belt at the moment they are few and far between.

Target: sub 2.40 marathon (10/30)

Mon AM 4 easy (8.15 min/m) PM 4.1 easy (7.48 min/m)
    Tues AM 7.5 easy (7.54 min/m) PM 9 easy (7.23 min/m)
    Wed AM 5 easy (8.15 min/m) PM 7 easy (8.06 min/m)
    Thurs 6 x (4km MP/1km steady)

Splits - (Paces)
    15.06 / 4.17 - (6.05/6.54)
    15.02 / 4.15 - (6.03/6.50)
    14.55 / 4.17 - (6.00/6.54)
    14.53 / 4.18 - (5.59/6.55)
    15.01 / 4.17 - (6.03/6.54)

Total Mileage - 18.4 miles @ 6.33 min/m)

Fri AM 6 easy (8.04 min/m) PM 6.2 easy (7.28 min/m)
    Sat AM 7 easy (8.00 min/m) PM 4 shakeout (8.44 min/m)
    Sun AM Dublin Novice Cross Country - 21.38 (5.43 min/m) 24th overall
    PM 6.5 easy (8.14 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage:90

Another week closer to D Day. Fairly tired these days between the high volume and the manic workload in the job (will be happy with the break around DCM) Mileage was a little down though this was due to long run being pushed back to Monday with the race.

Thursdays session was one I had been dreading with the heaviness in the legs and the sessions/mileage grinding me down a bit at the moment. It didn't help that the wind was fairly brutal as well but this one went much better than expected. I dunno if it was the fact that there was less reps and pace change, or fact that I used a 2 mile loop rather than 1500 one previously but seems a good bit easier than the previous week. Despite the wind the effort felt right with paces a little quicker than last week and finished strong (the last steady km last week as fairly brutal)

Friday's evening runs are becoming my mortal enemy as the session for the second time in a row caught up with me and bonked. Just focused on getting it done and getting home in a haze.

Sunday I had planned a quicker than MP session however a few weeks ago this race was swapped in as an apt replacement to help make up a team. Sadly last min withdrawals meant that the team was dead in the water but decided to do it anyway as a decent blow out

The build up to this one was DublinRunner-esque. Took an extended lunch break from work and (typically) got picked up by the slowest taxi man on the planet so by the time I got across to PP I had just enough time for an 800m warm up, change into spikes, put on number and a handful of drills.

Start was very conservative and I planted myself just off the back of a few of the lads like the_wolf and few other lads I race usually as I figured with 80 miles already in the legs this week and no XC work done today would not be the day for trying to go after them. Felt very relaxed aerobically to the point where I was thinking that I might not have been pushing it hard enough, looked down at the watch and saw 5.40 pace so was actually moving well.

Lap 2 and followed same routine, was negotiating the rolling hills well and was in a good rhythm legs starting to loosen out a bit and was holding my place well.

3rd lap was the decisive one and even though I didn't up the pace people started coming back to me in their droves. past 3 guys who last year I tended to be neck and neck with as they looked to be gassed while I was still struggling to get out of second gear.

On the last lap I saw a group of about 5 guys within range of passing and I thought with how good I was feeling a big spurt in home straight would be enough to catch the guys but sadly the legs didn't have it.

Happy with placing as high as I did as well as the fact that the legs well and truly seem to be in full marathon mode and lacking that zip which is a sign that the training is going the right way. Was nice to have a race to break things up mentally also on what was a cracking day (not something you get too often in XC)

Mon 15.4 easy (7.07 min pace)
    Tues AM 4 easy (8.10 min/m) PM 6.6 easy (7.54 min/m)
    Wed AM 7.5 easy (8.15 min/m) PM 6.3 easy (8.01 min/m)
    Thurs 2.7 easy (9.22 min/m)
    Fri OFF
    Sat 5.5 easy (8.19 min pace)
    Sun Irish 3/4 Marathon - 10th 2.03.26 (6.17 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage:69.1

Not a great week but salvaged at the last. Been a crazy time with work the last while though I have been keeping my head above water but really came to a head this week. Started with a late night work trying to wrap up a project Monday meaning my long run (pushed back due to cross country) was not getting done till close to midnight. I could have pushed it back but the whole point was easy effort on tired legs after the race the day before. Had the streets to myself so managed to tag in a good chunk of the course done.

Paid for it the next day though as I still had a couple of hours work to do when I got home so it was nearly 4 am. Chasing sleep for the next few days. but another project to have done for Friday morning mean another long day thursday, longer than anticipated to the point where I was out for a late night run again for my workout however just didn't have the motivation to get it done so canned the planned session (the boards favourite 5-4-3-2-1 @ MP)

Next two days no real excuse I had time to run but I was exhausted so bagged it Friday and recharged the batteries. Saturday got a few miles in the morning but got home later than expected after rugby match Saturday (and bumping into some of the family and ending up having a few naughty beverages)

Sunday I was out for a impromtu Boards social. Between Neady sorting me with an entry (a big thank you again) AMK coming to the rescue for a lift (a big thank you also) and the hall of fame selection of TBL, Meno, Younganne, tang, Singer, DublinRunner, PaulieC, Marthastew and Abhainn.

Plan for this was a steady run (steady has been around 6.30ish previously in training. Started out conservative enough but realised close to a mile in it was a little slower than I would have liked (6.49) and kicked on. There was a gap up to a nice little group of about 3 runners so I decided to slot in with them and thought pace would settle nicely ( next 3 miles were in around where I wanted to be - 6.30-6.20-6.22) after this though the lads had subtlety started upping the pace and I was running a bit quicker than I realized (6.09, 6.07, 6.07, 6.04) the effort was creeping up a little to be honest and I think a few of the lads started seeing one or two runners up ahead getting a bit closer)

Had a lad caught up on our group at about 9 mile and gave me a chance to pull back a bit in the hope that one or two would see it as the off ramp for the pace, they didn't and instead your man was kicking on with them. At this point I wasn't feeling the greatest and knew I was starting to work a bit harder than I wanted to for this session so I was going to have to make a decision. Thankfully sense prevailed and I decided that continuing with the group was not worth it and backed off the pace. Got to the 13.1 marking on the road and came to the realization that I just passed the furthest point I have ever raced (excluding paced marathons)

Next few miles and I felt a bit more controlled though had an irrational fear that by slowing I was only gonna start going backwards and that by slowing down I was getting less benefit from the run (even though I was running an average pace even now much faster than I had originally planned without being at marathon effort and overcooking it)

Worked well as by 17 miles I was feeling really good again and actually catching the lads again despite the pace, 2 had kicked on while one lad seemed to have paid the price. Thoughts came into my head about reeling them in and moving up a place or two but sense prevailed. Heard the heavy breathing of a guy I recognized at about 18 miles. He stayed with me for a few hundred meters before cranking it up. Had to restrain myself from going and saw him disappear into the distance (along with his marathon given he was running faster than planned marathon pace)

Felt a bit strange coming up the home stretch getting cheers for a glorified organised training run but very happy with the day. Very well organised and learned alot from it for the main race. A good solid session to end the week and hopefully get me back on track

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great to eventually meet you today, great session.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great stuff Myles - and you were 10th :) - not bad for a training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

tang1 wrote: »
    Great to eventually meet you today, great session.

+1, great running for a training session!! and great to meet up at last.

Great stuff Myles - and you were 10th :) - not bad for a training run.

Cheers, tbf I won't get notions above my station. The 9 ahead of me were also using as a training run (albeit some to hard). Wont be claiming my excellent 19.66 mile PB and top 10 finishing in my autobiography anyway :p

It was a good session not great as I got sucked into pace I shouldn't have but learned a good bit from it for the main day and had the sense to back off before I left my marathon down there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Cheers, tbf I won't get notions above my station. The 9 ahead of me were also using as a training run (albeit some to hard). Wont be claiming my excellent 19.66 mile PB and top 10 finishing in my autobiography anyway :p

It was a good session not great as I got sucked into pace I shouldn't have but learned a good bit from it for the main day and had the sense to back off before I left my marathon down there

"as I got sucked into pace I shouldn't have ..."

Tis awful easy for that to happen, happens to the best of us :)

TbL

"as I got sucked into pace I shouldn't have ..."

Tis awful easy for that to happen, happens to the best of us :)

TbL

Do as I say not as I do ;)

The 9 ahead of me were also using as a training run (albeit some to hard).

I heard that at least one of those, possibly very close to your finishing position, finished the race at a pace that didn't suggest it was a training run.

davedanon wrote: »
    I heard that at least one of those, possibly very close to your finishing position, finished the race at a pace that didn't suggest it was a training run.

Was one or two alright who I reckon left there marathon PB's there alright. Now can understand how easy it is to get sucked in once (thankfully I hopefully pulled back in time to cop on)

Now can understand how easy it is to get sucked in once

whereas twice looks rather like carelessness, to misquote Oscar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice running yesterday Myles :) I'm very jealous that I didn't get to check out the new course but you make a much better hand at it then I would have :) DCM is looking good for you.

Advertisement