Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice running yesterday Myles :) I'm very jealous that I didn't get to check out the new course but you make a much better hand at it then I would have :) DCM is looking good for you.

A huge thank you again for the transfer was enjoyable definitely one for you in the future you will enjoy it.

Hopefully so happy with the training, things unravelling a small bit (work sleep nutrition) the last week or so but should be able to get back on track and get me over the finish line.

Mon 5.2 easy (8.00 min/m)
    Tues AM 6 easy (7.55 min/m) PM8 easy (7.32 min/m)
    Wed AM 6.5 easy (8.13 min/m) PM 8.8 miles fartlek (7.18 min/m)
    Thurs AM 2.8 rec (9.06 min/m) PM 6.7 miles easy (8.18 min/m)
    Fri 3x5km @MP w/1km steady

Splits:
    18.56 (6.06 min/m),4.16 (6.52 min/m)
    18.57 (6.06min/m), 4.18 (6.55 min/m)
    19.19 (6.13 min/m)

Sat OFF
    Sun 3 miles easy

Total Weekly Mileage: 62.9 miles

Thats it work done and now for the taper. Truth be told the training block ended with a little bit of a wimper. Didn't feel great while pacing TbL through a session on Wednesday and had to contend with a broken aircon in work blowing freezing cold air on top of me Thursday convincing me that I was starting to come down with something.something.

Friday's session was supposed to be 4x5km and decided to head up to Tymon for this one as it was an honest 5km loop around the park with plenty of climbing. Truth be told it didn't feel like a tough session aerobically but just felt flat and not myself (which I put down to still not feeling 100%) I decided to play it sensible and bag the last rep rather than labour on for the sake of it at this stage I have 16 weeks of training under my belt so one training rep was not gonna make the marathon but could break it.

Looking back though had to remind myself that I have averaged 75 miles a week for the 16 weeks and have a large number of 2hr runs and plenty of quality. Confidence not sky high but at same time quietly confident at where I am.

Mon AM 4.3 easy (7.52 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.20 min/m)
    Tues 7.2 easy (8.16 min/m)
    WedAbandoned session (2.8 @ 6.46 min/m)
    Thurs 2x4 mile MP w/ 1 mile easy

Splits
    (6.00, 6.00, 5.56, 5.58) (5.58, 5.59, 6.00, 5.57)

Total mileage: 11 miles @6.33 min/m

Fri AM 4 easy (8.32 min/m) PM 3.5 easy (8.24 min/m)
    Sat AM 3 easy (8.10 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.50 min/m)
    Sun 8km wave Tempo (1kms +/- MP)

Splits/Paces (per mile):
    3.34/5.44
    3.56/6.20
    3.35/5.46
    3.56/6.20
    3.37/5.49
    3.53/6.15
    3.36/5.48
    3.49/6.09

Total Milage: 9@ 7.17 min/m - (5 tempo@ 6.03 overall pace)

Weekly Mileage 53.8 miles

Taper is well and truly here. Overall not feeling great mostly legs feel sluggish, little bit of a cold but thats a good sign right??

Wednesday's session was a chance to break in my racing shoes. I know it's one of those cardinal sins but it was a necessity and have pretty much just replaced the current model of same shoe as other ones were falling apart. Warmed up and got going but was sweating profusely and just not feeling right at all for this session (had a bit of a headache all day but thought it was just down to a few stressful days in work. Ended up not trying to play hero and bagged the session and jogged home.

It was only when I got home and was talking with herself that I had a bit of a Eureka moment. With herself 2 years and had bought her a bouquet of fresh flowers over weekend and Wednesday was the first day I was in the house since then for any duration of time with work. She reminded me last time I bought her flowers was back in May (where I had similar bad feelings for Sportsworld and Dublin 10 Champs) it couldn't be a coincidence so Thursday out of the house for most of the day and got cracking on the session. Legs felt sluggish but it was very controlled. She has been since informed that romance is now dead for fear of it getting in the way of whats important :p

A few more uneventful runs and then on to last session Sunday. Paces were fine here. Only really felt comfortable when I got up to slightly quicker than MP (aim was 5.45-5.50/6.15-6.20) happy to wrap up the week with that. Taper has gotten in my head a little but a few days off work (bar treatments) and I should be good to go.

Looking forward to it at this stage now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Those runners were fine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Buy plastic flowers :)

Best of luck with it.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

The very best of luck on Sunday L. You've worked hard for the last 16 weeks (and a lot of years before that) and you're such a positive mentor to so many of us both here and IRL so plenty of good vibes being sent your way!! Will be out on the course (with nop) around the 21 mile mark but expect you to whizz by in a blur ;).

P.S. Romance does not only = flowers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭aero2k

It was only when I got home and was talking with herself that I had a bit of a Eureka moment. With herself 2 years and had bought her a bouquet of fresh flowers over weekend and Wednesday was the first day I was in the house since then for any duration of time with work. She reminded me last time I bought her flowers was back in May (where I had similar bad feelings for Sportsworld and Dublin 10 Champs) it couldn't be a coincidence so Thursday out of the house for most of the day and got cracking on the session.

Lilies by any chance? (the flowers, not the place :)). I had to banish a bunch in the lead up to Cork a few years ago, I could hardly breathe if they were in the same room.

Just catching up here, looks like you're in good shape. I'll look out for you on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Forget the flowers, wine & Chocolate is where its at!!

Best of luck on Sunday L, you never stop giving to others and you manage to keep so many of us on here moving along, I don't know how you do it, along with work and your treatments, your own training etc. You have trained for and earned a brill result on Sunday. Hopefully catch up with you for a drink after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

^^^^^^ erk, I hope not. Aren't lilies associated with death? :eek: "happy anniversary darling, here's some 'with sympathy' flowers....."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Mon AM 4.3 easy (7.52 min/m)

Taper is well and truly here. Overall not feeling great mostly legs feel sluggish, little bit of a cold but thats a good sign right??

I feckin hope so, otherwise I'm fubared! Seriously though - best of luck on Sunday. I hope it all goes well for you.

aero2k wrote: »
    Lilies by any chance? (the flowers, not the place :)). I had to banish a bunch in the lead up to Cork a few years ago, I could hardly breathe if they were in the same room.

Just catching up here, looks like you're in good shape. I'll look out for you on Sunday.

I've just turned around to check the kitchen table after reading this and there's a brand new bunch of lilies sitting there. I need to find a way of getting rid of them (and the cat). Nose like a tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭aero2k

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^ erk, I hope not. Aren't lilies associated with death? :eek: "happy anniversary darling, here's some 'with sympathy' flowers....."

The bunch in question were moved quickly enough to avoid any fatality - of the flowers or their owner :D. Amazing what you learn on here - I wasn't aware of that association, in fact I've noticed them in a lot of bouquets on sale (maybe that's because I'm sensitive to them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Best of luck on Sunday M... :D

tang1 wrote: »
    Those runners were fine!!!

I could probably get away with a few more miles but come 20/22 miles in I didn't wanna betaking that chance. These ones are a little less "slipper like" as TbL or yourself called them
    Buy plastic flowers :)

Best of luck with it.

TbL

Cheers C.

That would involve having to get creative with something else for the next occasion. Creativity not my strong suit :D
    Firedance wrote: »
    The very best of luck on Sunday L. You've worked hard for the last 16 weeks (and a lot of years before that) and you're such a positive mentor to so many of us both here and IRL so plenty of good vibes being sent your way!! Will be out on the course (with nop) around the 21 mile mark but expect you to whizz by in a blur ;).

P.S. Romance does not only = flowers :p

Cheers AM, reckon there could be a chance the only blur at 21 miles will be my vision depending on how I am feeling at that point given it is still very much uncharted territory.

Romance to me = Staying on the good side, nothing more/nothing less haha :p

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    The bunch in question were moved quickly enough to avoid any fatality - of the flowers or their owner :D. Amazing what you learn on here - I wasn't aware of that association, in fact I've noticed them in a lot of bouquets on sale (maybe that's because I'm sensitive to them).

Funny enough it was lillies S (mixed with Roses don't worry A, she is a fan of both and the death association is true, had I forgot the anniversary I would have been haha), I seemed to be okay in short term but anything more than an hour sitting in living room with them and I would be sluggish and dull headache came on. It's amazing the links that crop up with running would have never known bar fact we moved in this year so flowers bought were around the house.
    Younganne wrote: »
    Forget the flowers, wine & Chocolate is where its at!!

Best of luck on Sunday L, you never stop giving to others and you manage to keep so many of us on here moving along, I don't know how you do it, along with work and your treatments, your own training etc. You have trained for and earned a brill result on Sunday. Hopefully catch up with you for a drink after.

Thanks A. Will certainly be around in McGrattans after. Oddly enough it's first time I have been around to go as usually I am stuck in work or dosed after heavy week of treatments so certainly gonna make the most of it with faces new and old (finally getting old enough to go to the boardsies meet ups where people aren't question who brought there kid with them :P)
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday M... :D

Cheers D appreciated. How the Achilles these days?
    I feckin hope so, otherwise I'm fubared! Seriously though - best of luck on Sunday. I hope it all goes well for you.

I've just turned around to check the kitchen table after reading this and there's a brand new bunch of lilies sitting there. I need to find a way of getting rid of them (and the cat). Nose like a tap.

Thanks HBS, ha sure you can find a good home for a bunch of flowers. Brighten someones day and give them to randomer on the street. Can never have enough good Karma :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Very best of luck Sunday. I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good luck on Sunday L, hope your racing debut at the distance goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good luck for Sunday! I'll be out on the sidelines cheering you on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck on Sunday - you've had a great training block & deserve a great run. Enjoy it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hoping that the rain and humidity gods conspire to make conditions spot on for Sunday and everything goes to plan for you :) Enjoy the race and make those long runs count :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck on Sunday! You've got loads of people to the start line so you deserve to do great yourself!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All the best of Sunday L. I'll be around Terenure somewhere so will give a shout out. I'm sure you will have a great race anyway but hopefully it all falls into place on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wishing you a fantastic day. Good mojo will be sent from across the pond to you!!! Smash it to bits!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you've been threatening this race for so long you'd better not **** it up :)
    Have a good run, youngfella!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Good luck!! Have a great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good to see you looking very marathon fit at the expo, L - all the best on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck on Sunday, L. You have had a decent training block and a very interesting one to follow. Now go out and reap the benefits. Have a good one. ENJOY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

DFIU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hope it goes well! You've done the work for a savage marathon racing debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Best of luck, L. Smash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I don't think I'm the only one eagerly anticipating this much awaited debut at the 26.2.
    The very best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Best of luck tomorrow L, really hope everything goes according to plan and you have a great day!

Advertisement