Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Mon 7 easy
    Tues 14x200m hills (90 rec)

Splits: 45, 46, 44, 45, 45, 44, 43, 43, 44, 44, 45, 45, 45, 43

Wed AM 5 easy (7.44 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.36 min/m)
    Thurs 9 easy (7.06 min/m)

Fri 5x1200 (2 min rec) w/ 400 surge
    Splits: 4.01, 3.58, 3.59, 4.04, 4.06
    Surges: 78, 76, 76, 78, 79

Sat AM 4 easy (7.34 min/m) PM 6.5 easy (8.05 min/m)
    Sun 18 progressive (7.20 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 77.6 miles

First full week under the new regime and a bit of a familiarity to it as the shades of the same training that I was doing with the last coach that I had been with back in 2010/11 which makes sense given that they were both coached by the same guy themselves.

First up was hills having the perfect one up near Mt. Merrion/ Deerpark the hills is about 250m and about half way between work and home so ideal for warm up and cooldown. The aim was to try and keep good form with a decent effort and really working the last 2 or three which was exactly where I was come the tail end of session really working to remain relaxed and strong.

The track session had a bit of a twist, the instruction was to pick up the pace a little in the middle 400 before returning to race effort remaining relaxed in last lap and with prescribed paces worked out roughly as 80/76/80. I dunno if it was the wind or just my body but this was a whole new world of hurt, the last two had me hanging on for dear life. Amazing how a small tweak can make a huge difference to a session as when i looked at it and saw "only" 5 reps I thought this would be grand.

Long run was done with DublinRunner and I felt fried for first few miles, HR was on the high side but as soon as I met himself almost immediately I felt better and HR backed up that fact (sorry DR you just don't get my hear racing :p) Again finished this up with a few quicker miles though probably easier than pace suggests due to the downhill nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

*waits patiently for your two moments of glory (beating me twice on the track :))

Just get on with it! Can't we just move on .......:P

Mon AM 4 easy (7.26 min/m) PM 6.7 easy (7.42 min/m)
    Tues AM 5 easy (7.15 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.42 min/m)

Wednesday 14x200m hills (90 rec)

Splits: 42, 43, 43, 43, 43, 43, 44, 42, 42, 42, 44, 42, 42, 40

Thurs AM 6 easy (8.00 min/m) PM 6.2 easy (7.41 min/m)
    Fri AM 9.1 easy (8.03 min/m) PM 4.1 easy (7.19 min/m)
    Sat 4.1 shakeout (8.30 min/m) + strides
    Sun Great Ireland Run - 35.30
    Splits: 5.24, 5.34, 5.32, 5.50, 6.02, 5.47

Total Weekly Mileage: 72.6 miles

Hill session was a good bit better this week felt strong despite there being a bit more wind to be honest, felt very good throughout and form felt strong

The race was probably one to be forgotten quickly. Body was fine but I knew that the head wasn't there from about 500m into the race. Had a hectic few days in the build up to this race due to a number of factors and even though the body was fresh mentally I was fried. was with Gosh and one of the usual heads I race in XC after the first mile but from here I couldn't get out of the comfort zone and fell off the pace.
    Came through 5k about 30 seconds slower than last year despite better conditions. Pace slowed on the hills to match the effort which was still only in 3rd gear. This did make for a bit of a confidence boost as a few who went off too hard were now suffering and were coming back to me a bit down around the Furry glen and I was still feeling a bit too controlled. Came into the 800m and went to kick and the legs responded a sure sign that this was a mental block more than anything else as I finished strong. 35.30 marked a 45 second decline since last year on a day that was much more favourable. Didn't panic too much as I kinda thought might just take a bit of time to come around to the new training approach.

*waits patiently for your two moments of glory (beating me twice on the track :))

Just get on with it! Can't we just move on .......:P

Ha a fair bit of ****e racing to catch up on before that :P

Mon AM 5 easy (7.51 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.58 min/m)
    Tues 15 miles easy (7.43 min/m)
    Wed 5 easy (7.29 min/m)
    Thurs 3 easy (8.03 min/m)
    Fri AM 8x200 hills 90 rec PM 4 easy (7.52 min/m)
    Splits: 44, 45, 45, 43, 44 44, 45, 43

Sat AM 9 miles easy (7.54 min/m) PM 4 miles easy (7.27 min/m)
    Sun OFF

Total Weekly Mileage: 61.1 miles

Work week from hell and made the mistake of trying to be a hero early on when the only chance I had to do my long run was starting at 11pm. I had been in work for 12 hours at this stage and a number of treatments before hand so I was already tired getting to this. Every bit of me wanted to can it and just go home to bed but I persevered and got it done. It wasn't pretty but it got done.

Unfortunately this took its toll on the next two days as I had to push session back a day and given I was racing on the monday this meant reducing the load from original 14 down to 8.

Sunday's rest day was more to catch up on sleep as I felt this would be more beneficial to the race than any shakeout.

• Advertisement

Mon Brian Boru 10 mile (58.15)

Splits: 5.34, 5.45, 5.58, 6.02, 5.47, 6.01, 6.07, 6.07, 5.54, 5.24

Tues AM 5.1 easy (7.43 min/m) PM 6.4 easy (7.44 min/m)
    Wed AM 4 easy (7.26 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.50 min/m)

Thurs 7x1000m (reducing recoveries)
    Splits: 3.19, 3.20, 3.20, 3.21, 3.21, 3.21, 3.21
    Recoveries: 90, 90, 75, 75, 60, 60

Fri AM 4 easy (7.39 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.39 min/m)
    Sat 6 easy (7.52 min/m)
    Sun Road Relays - 2 mile - 10.39 official

Splits: 5.14, 5.14

Total Weekly Mileage: 72.5 miles

Double header this week. The 10 miler I had notions of a medal. I was 4th overall last year so i was hoping to go one bette. Got out well in the first mile but I was working too hard after the first mile and I knew it was not sutainable. TRR took off ahead while gosh stayed with me for a few miles before the pace slowed a little.
    It was a weird sensation as I fell into a comfort zone that i felt I could sustain for a marathon but couldn't push out of this comfort zone as the miles rattled off I gave up on chasing time and focused on position with a few people around me I decided to play a bit of cat and mouse and was conserving energy for a kick which came in the form of a 5.24 last mile. There was definitely plenty in the tank but again the head was preventing me unlocking it.
    Finished up 11th 7 places down on last year (and nearly 90 seconds) with consolation of picking up gold in the Senior team which came as a surprise to everyone.

Thursday session was first time in a while felt pretty damn good. I felt a bit like bambi on ice in terms of comfort on the track but the pace felt almost controlled even when the recoveries dropped to 60 seconds. This reaffirmed what I knew that despite the races I was in good shape and it was gonna click sooner or later.

After having to step up to the 3 mile last year for this due to injuries I was back where I belonged for this race however didn't exactly have the greatest of preparation as I had to take an extended lunch break from work to dart over get the race done and dart back.

I dunno whether it was the rushed warm up or what but I was completely bang on the money pacing wise, though I was running solo first lap and couldnt really get into the paces I would have liked to, held it together pretty well and finished strong. Given the week that was in it I felt on a good day this should be the pace I am able to hit for a 5k over the summer

Mon 15 easy (7.32 min/m)
    Tues 5 easy (8.06 min/m)
    Wed AM 5 easy (6.50 min/m) PM 6.6 easy (7.51 min/m)
    Thurs 4 x (2x500 approx hills w/ 1 min rec) jog down rec

Splits: (2.08, 2.05), (2.06, 2.07), (2.08, 2.09), (2.13, 2.09)

Fri AM 5 easy (8.10 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.24 min/m)
    Sat AM 5 easy (7.32 min/m) PM 5.1 easy (7.12 min/m)
    Sun 14x90 sec fartlek (40 sec rec)

Total Weekly Mileage: 71.1 miles

Legs were surprisingly good after the two races the previous week and long run to start the week to make sure wasn't missed give I hadn't got one in the previous week. Got text from the boss asking for my days off and was told we would be heading to uncharted territories for me (Howth) for a session I had heard about for years.

The fact that it took a bus, dart and a lift from coach to get there meant that I was gonna make sure I was geared up for this session, handy jog warm up as he ran me through the rep. The session consisted of a 1km hill gradual for the first half at which point I had a marker to stop at for 1 min before continuing up what basically resulted in going balls out just to keep you from stopping dead in your tracks

This session was devised by Satan himself and passed down by demons to the coaches of Ireland to inflict on anyone who might get cocky and think they are fit.

Even with the 6 min recoveries between sets I finished up the last one before hitting the deck and not getting up for about 10 min, coach came up just to check I was still alive and assured me that this sort of reaction was natural enough.

Sunday's fartlek was done due to not being able to make the track with work. Conditions were woeful but managed to really dig in and hurt throughout (after Thursday anything was gonna be a cake walk)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wottle wrote: »
    some of us have been around that long, we can remember a certain 1972 account, sth to do with Leeds :-)

LOL...that was just a name change. Same account ;)

Did wonder if anyone would pull that out though! :pac:

Mon 14.2 easy (7.17 min/m)
    Tues AM 4 easy (7.31 min/m) PM 7.2 easy (7.42 min/m)

Wed 16x400 (35 sec rec)
    Splits: 79, 75, 77, 77, 73, 77, 76, 77, 76, 73, 79, 77, 79, 77, 73, 79

Thurs 7 easy (7.47 min/m)
    Fri AM 8 easy (7.56 min/m) PM 4.1 easy (7.13 min/m)

Sat 4x1000m, 2x800m (90 sec rec)
    Splits: 3.15, 3.17, 3.16, 3.17, 2.37, 2.36

Sun 11 easy (7.37 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 78.9 miles

Another consistent week. The benefits of not having to think things through to much often times I won't get my sessions till the day before so as I am not looking beyond them and just focusing on the task at hand.

First session was done with Dublin Runner again, fairly straight forward though I was instructed to push each 5th rep. DR was only coming back from break after marathon so was only dipping his toe in the water regarding sessions though was a great help to keep me honest. Felt good throughout sesison, a few reps slow but I was surprised to be hitting the hammers without too much effort.

Second session was just a light pre race tune up, aim was supposed to be race pace but the wind was stupid strong and even though the paces were grand the effort was too hard for what it should have been

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

you must be up to 2003 by now. Only a few more updates to go :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's depressing me that you can knock out 60-70 miles several times per day.

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's depressing me that you can knock out 60-70 miles several times per day.

Not quite gone down the ultra route just yet haha. Probably should date these though just filling in the blanks since Feb (think there are one or two who I might feel the wrath of if I just skip ahead :P) to keep the log coherent think I am up till about May.

Mon AM 5 easy (8.00 min/m) PM 4 easy (8.13 min/m)
    Tues 5.2 easy incl 4x30 sec strides

Wed AM 2 incl 400@ HM
    PM 5000m Gradeds - 16.15 PB
    Splits: 3.11, 3.13, 3.16, 3.15, 3.14

Thurs AM 5.1 easy (7.48 min/m) PM 5.1 easy (7.24 min/m)
    Fri AM 9.2 easy (7.46 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.26 min/m)
    Sat AM Split hills PM 4 easy (8.14 min/m)
    Sun 14 easy (7.41 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 73 miles

Dunno whether it was nerves or fighting something off but the week started poorly, Monday evenings run had me up at 5k race pace HR for a recovery run. A small bit better tuesday but I was still worried I had a bug or something going into Wednesdays race.

Training had been going well and I felt in really good shape so the aim was a PB here. A good few boardsies involved as well with gosh and Dublin runner both in the A aiming for around same times. Gun went and Gosh took to the front and I figured I would track him. He was pushing hard early on and I was happy that the pace was honest, the first two k splits were very solid (especially in comparison to the effort level in tune up session saturday) slowed a little but was still well on for the PB (and reminded myself that I had come through quicker than some recent 3k races) in 9.40.

Gosh was starting to fall off at this stage with Dublinrunner taking to the front of our little group. I had started to flag a little at this point though I wasn't really hurting, more just falling into a comfort zone pace around the 80 second mark as I started to have to do the permutations for what I needed for a PB. came around to the bell lap in 15.01-02 and knew that I was gonna have to dig deep to keep the PB alive. with 300 to go I dug deep and started winding it up getting up on DR's shoulder expecting him to respond but the post marathon legs had taken the sting out of his legs. I continued to accelerate and was surprised with how strong I was finishing. Crossed the line in 16.15 a 10 second PB and the biggest chunk I had taken off my 5k time in years. The patience and confidence in the new training approach was starting to yield the results I knew were possible.

No rest though and the coach made sure I wasn't given a chance to rest on my laurels. Had planned for me to get back out to howth but with work I couldn't due to time constraints so I stayed local and took on Kilmashogue lane. Definitey brought back down to earth with this one as I cut second segments short due to the steepness I was completely fried by the end and cut the cooldown to work short and jumped in a taxi as the body completely gave up

Mon AM 4 easy (7.47 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.44 min/m)
    Tues AM 7 easy (8.04 min/m) PM 9 easy (7.47 min/m)

Wed 5x1200 (2 min rec) w/ 400 m surge
    Splits: 3.56, 3.51, 3.51, 3.52, 3.54
    Surges: 76, 74, 74, 75, 75

Thurs AM 7.5 easy (7.39 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.31 min/m)
    Fri 5.1 easy (7.24 min/m)

Sat 4x200, 2x400, 800, 2x400, 4x200 (60 sec rec)
    Splits:
    36, 35, 35, 36,
    74, 75,
    74, 76,
    35, 35, 35, 35

Sun Rest

Total Weekly Mileage:
    61.9 miles

Training with DR again for the Wednesday session, reacted better to this session than previous time it was attempted and surges were consistent.

Weekend was a bit of a step back as the best friend was back for a few days so between that work and a few two many cocktails so missed Sunday but all and all another consistent week

Mon 4.6 easy (7.44 min/mm)
    Tues 4 miles shakeout (8.24 min/m)

Wed Dublin Championships - 10,000m - 34.16
    Splits: 3.22, 3.20, 3.24, 3.26, 3.30, 3.30, 3.27, 3.28, 3.26, 3.17

Thurs AM 4 easy (7.38 min/m) PM 9 easy (7.50 min/m)
    Fri AM 5 easy (7.02 min/m) PM 8 easy (7.48 min/m)
    Sat 15 easy (7.56 min/m)
    Sun AM 5.1 easy (7.35 min/m) PM 6 steady (6.26 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 71 miles

Given that I am 0/2 for getting into the Night of 10,000m PBs the last two years with the standards improving so much this is one of the rare chances at a track 10k. To be honest I was feeling pretty crappy before the run, just general sluggish. 1st km was bang on the money despite feeling bad, alot of lads went off hard but I kept the head.

DublinRunner took it on and I thought his strength would prove useful in keeping things honest so tried to tag on to him. The track can be mentally sapping and where in other races your reaction might just be to tuck in where possible the mind kept me saying don't let him do all the work (even if it was selfishly thinking that sharing the work will mean someone to chase in late stages if I start to struggle. At 2km I took it on with the view to rotate every km for a while. Without having to say it DR had gotten the message as he passed me right on cue.

After 4km though things unravelled a little I went to take it on and found myself struggling to keep up, my sh!tty feeling had me not dealing well with discomfort as I slipped back into auto pilot a bit a 3.30 was a fairly damning split for the sub 34 target, made all the worse by the fact that it was followed up with another 3.30. I was thrown a life line though in the form of a ferrybank lad lapping me, tagged on to him and weirdly didn't feel too bad matching his pace as I slowly was being pulled back up to DR. This seemed to kick start the legs into moving again and weirdly I was starting to feel in a better place compared to a few laps previous where the dark thoughts of a DNF did creep into the mind.

From here I urged DR to go with me but he didn't go with as each lap started getting faster and faster, it wasn't quite the kick from the 5k from 2 weeks previous but a long sustained drive for home and managed to salvage a respectable time which seemed all but dead and buried at 6k. Only 6 seconds shy of the PB so finished up with 3rd fastest ever 10k and fastest in over 2 years so I will certainly take that. Another chance at the end of July in National Seniors.

Mon 5.3 easy (7.56 min/m)

Tues BHAA Dunboyne 5 mile - 26.35 PB
    Splits: 5.12, 5.16, 5.24, 5.31, 5.20

Wed AM 4 easy (8.41 min/m) PM 7 (7.21 min/m)
    Thurs AM 5.1 easy (7.54 min/m) PM 6 easy (7.41 min/m)
    Fri AM 8.1 easy (7.47 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.51 min/m)

Sat 14x200m hills (90 rec)
    Splits: 43, 43, 42, 44, 45, 47, 46, 45, 42, 44, 45, 42, 43, 42

Sun 18.3 easy (7.23 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 78 miles
    This race was not on my radar at all but coach put it to me after the race last week as he felt I was in shape to put down a decent time and he also wanted me to keep in touch with the roads given that Berlin is the main goal this year so I wrangled the night off work and trekked out. Weather gods were shining down on us as it was an absolutely perfect night and there was a great field down for it.

Warm up with yaboya and Duanington and chats with half the athletics community who all seemed to have turned up for this one.

I was told the first mile was fast and not to panic if the pace was a little on the hot side. The plan was simple; a PB and as close to 27 as possible.

Gun went and I took off fairly nippy, legs were full of pep from the gun for this one as I purposely didn't look at the watch the first mile. Groups began to form as the pace settled and as per usual I found myself in nomans land. Normally I would settled into my running at this stage but the head had a different plan "get after the feckers ahead, if you blow up you blow up, this is a freebie race" legs did what they were told as I came through the first mile in 5.12 approx 5k PB pace from 3 weeks previous.

Continued to chase the guys ahead and finally caught them and settled into group for a bit including the brother of an old clubmate. Feeling like I was moving well it was soon time to leave the guys and keep pushing. This 2nd mile was the biggest shock so far as I had expected to slow up alot more than I had and now all PB permutations were out the window as I had no clue what I needed to hold on to to to stay under so just decided to keep going as hard as I could for as long as I could.

3rd mile and a group of about 6-8 had caught up with me, wtf? Rare you see such a big group on 26 min pace at mile 3. I had started to slow, not dramatically but enough to know I was hurting. The group started pushing on ahead driven by club mate that I had run majority of Dungarvan 10 with till he kicked on (another sandbagging effort as he was "hoping to get close to 27.30 :rolleyes:) the gained a couple of meters but that invisible band had not snapped just yet as I was hanging on to the back for dear life.

Got a bit of a lift as we got closer to to the crowds near the finish. A few of the stragglers on the group also seemed to be in same boat as me with regards the world of hurt we were in. We then turned on to the track and as if my mind had the instinctual feel of home I knew the legs had found an extra gear (even if the rest of the body had 200m to go and I unleashed a Mo Farahesque kick to pick up a few scalps. Sadly it was not as graceful with the body shot and the bewildered looks from people as I began to dry wretch going past them, blowing chunks in mid sprint down the last 100m. I had found the bodies absolute limit and that was about 5m-100mtrs.

The result was a 46 sec PB and probably the biggest chunk I have taken off any PB in recent memory. Over the moon with result and a result which highlighted the huge benefit the new coaches approach

Mon AM 5 easy (7.38 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.30 min/m)
    Tues AM 5.4 steady (6.43 min/m) PM 4 recovery (8.22 min/m)

Wed AM 2.7 shakeout PM Graded - 1500m - 4.22
    Splits: 71, 2.22, 3.32, 4.22

Thurs AM 9.6 (moderate fartlek) PM 5.5 easy (7.52 min/m)
    Fri 4 easy (8.01)
    Sat 28 mile Cycle - West Atlantic Greenway
    Sun 30 min slight swim

Total Weekly Mileage: 48.3 miles

Bit of a step back week this week not by design but no harm. Plenty of banter with one or two of the lads I grew up training with who would be more middle distance than me brought up the idea of the 1500 this week. floated the idea by the boss man and he was happy with the idea as it gave the legs a bit of a break volume wise will having a good effort run to replace a session.

Not ideal build up as I ducked out of work and tried to get across town as quick as possible though in the end made plenty of time. though between bumping into club coaches with discussions of National League teams and other factors I ended up not getting as much drills done as wanted to loosen out the legs.

The expected showdown between myself and my old training partner never happened unfortunately as we got told there were two B gradeds and we had been split, none the less there were a few familar faces including one of the XC rivals and Sacksian from around these parts. The fact I have not had one sub 70 second 400 this year in training meant I had no idea how this was gonna go so plan was just get out hard till the legs give out.

Gun went and I settled into about 3/4 with Sacksian hitting the front, to my surprise the pace was relatively modest and I almost felt relaxed, coming around to the line at 300 though I knew it was on the slow side as I heard "51/52 called out" I knew I needed to push on if I was gonna have any chance of a quick time, and kicked on to try and catch Sacksian who had a gap behind him almost as if a rabbit that no one wanted to chase. I pushed on and decided to keep him honest but he didn't respond which had me leading.

"Okay Luke wtf have you got yourself in for?"

"Your not a fecking middle distance runner who are you kidding why would you take the lead?

"You are definitely getting notions above your station"

"Are these kickers just toying with me?"

Decided to ignore the noggin and just keep doing what I do bes, run hard and hope to god its enough. The next split was consistent but its always the 3rd lap that makes or breaks a 1500m. Hearing the wolves at the gates behind me I knew that they were bidding there time before eventually one lad accelerated past me, faster than I could match and pulled away but the other two beside me were not pulling away (Sacksian being one)

At 1200m I was 3.32 not quite PB pace but on for a fine run so I decided to kick for dear life and see what the legs gave me. It didn't feel fast, it didn't look pretty but it was enough to keep them at bay as I crossed the line for second, a damn sight nearer to 1st than I was 300m ago.

Finished up with 4.22.28. The sweetener is that it was enough for whatsapp group bragging rights as it was 0.16 quicker than the club mate from the other heat meaning that I have the fastest 1500m SB.

It's the little things in life :D

The weekend training took back seat as I was away for a couple of days and given we had booked bikes for the Wicklow Way decided to push back session and long run and just take the bit of time. Lowest mileage week since start of March but still got a bit of cross training so prob do the legs no harm.

(And that brings me pretty much up to date on the log :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

(And that brings me pretty much up to date on the log :D)

Great to have you back posting! The difference between what you learn from following somebody on Strava and a properly updated training log is immense. You probably didn't need to do a full catch-up though it was fun to read :pac:

Singer wrote: »
    You probably didn't need to do a full catch-up though it was fun to read :pac:

Truth be told the reasons for full catch up were slightly selfish. I regretted the gap in the previous log when I disappeared as it's only in documented part of training,

The other reason was last weekends break had me lose mojo a small bit so wanted to remind myself of the consistent work I had put in the last few months and seems to have helped me get back on the horse fully willing to use any trick or hack available when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Singer wrote:
    Great to have you back posting! The difference between what you learn from following somebody on Strava and a properly updated training log is immense. You probably didn't need to do a full catch-up though it was fun to read

Ditto. I've seem some of those sessions on Strava too and it's good to read a bit more detail on them. You've some memory though. I can't remember how my runs went last week nevermind months ago! I must be getting old. :-)

• Advertisement

Mon 3x3 min hard, 8 min tempo, 3x3 min hard (90 sec)
    Splits: 5.22, 5.26, 5.24, 5.51, 5.35, 5.26, 5.30

Tues 13.7 easy (7.25 min/m)
    Wed AM 4.8 easy (8.18 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.55 min/m)
    Thurs 5.1 easy (7.47 min/m)
    Fri AM 9.1 easy (7.35 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.36 min/m)

Sat AM Irish 5 miler - 27.29 PM 5 easy (8.15 min/m)
    Splits: 5.18, 5.32, 5.33, 5.39, 5.24

Sun 16 easy (7.32 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 83.4 miles

Week started with a catch up on the weekends plan given my break away, unfortunately first chance I had to get this done was after late shift in work. I was not particularly feeling great but all the same managed to get through it. paces were quite there and neither was the inclination to dig deep but I knew if I could get this session done it would hopefully jump start the mojo and get me back into routine something which is a necessity for me hence avoiding taking consecutive days off too often

As the week progressed though I realised the loss of mojo was not just my head as energy levels became a bit zapped and know that the body was fighting something off. Scaled back pace on easy runs and took the Thursday evening off to opt for a nap instead and seemed to do the trick as I started to feel a bit more like myself.

This race was another late addition. There were no great expactations to replicate Dunboyne but rather just a solid effort on a decent course to keep in touch with the roads. While I wasn' exactly jumping for joy about doing this one I figured probably get me a good workout.

Delayed start and we were off. I didnt bother looking at the watch at all and just focused on getting into a group. One of the guys I pipped on the line 2 weeks ago was running so I figured if I could track him and stay relatively near would ensure a good performance. After mile one I was in no mans land but unlike two weeks previously I was happy to sit in and didn't really drive the pace. before long however I had managed to catch a group with the lead lady, a fellow UCD runner from when I was there I was feeling fairly relaxed so I figured if I could take on the wind and give her a bit of a break might help things. next mile or so and we running together but she began faling off the pace, feeling good I continued on and started reeling people in.

I felt like I was running strong but I was not in that stage of real hurt that I have managed in the last few races, racing can be funny - race too little and you don't have enough practice to break through that wall of discomfort into the realms of true hurt but do it too much and you can't tap in every time.

Mile 4 and down into the furry glen where this rare was gonna put the sting in peoples legs. In the end the downhill did more damage than the up as I was passed by one or two predominantly middle distance guys who used there leg speed to gain ground on the downhills however as soon as we started climbing again it wasn't long before I was eating up the gap they had made, came out of the glen on the hairpin and had already caught them and kicked on, pace relatively intact.

From here the legs wound it up a bit and finished strong crossing the line with one second to spare from my target. Happy with the effort make no mistake but just lacked that edge today but all in all a very solid workout and legs came through it feeling decent.

Long run route was simple. I had a starting point (home) and a finishing point (work) from here I decided to head to Krustyland taking in a few hills to say the least, no wonder the man is a strong as an ox :eek:
    Ditto. I've seem some of those sessions on Strava too and it's good to read a bit more detail on them. You've some memory though. I can't remember how my runs went last week nevermind months ago! I must be getting old. :-)

Haha trust me memory not that great (there are days where I wioudn't be able to tell you what I had for breakfast but between strava and coaching emails/texts I am able to jog the memory a little

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

took the Thursday evening off to opt for a nap instead and seemed to do the trick as I started to feel a bit more like myself.

The whippersnapper is getting old :D

Well done in Dunboyne, 12th place finish behind the likes of Mick Clohisey, Peter Somba and our fastest male RK (apart from somba....). Impressive stuff and lovely to catch up with you afterwards too.

Plus one to the strava comments, you really don't get the full feel for what's going on until you see it here in black & white and I guess that's why so many of us choose both options.

The whippersnapper is getting old :D

Well done in Dunboyne, 12th place finish behind the likes of Mick Clohisey, Peter Somba and our fastest male RK (apart from somba....). Impressive stuff and lovely to catch up with you afterwards too.

Plus one to the strava comments, you really don't get the full feel for what's going on until you see it here in black & white and I guess that's why so many of us choose both options.

Never too young for a nap.

Ha yeah RK had me again by 3 seconds at the weekend, getting closer though :D

Remember saying the same to Pacingmule before the boards log is great for putting words down to back up the numbers

Mon AM 5 easy (8.10 min/m) PM 9 easy (7.37 min/m)
    Tues AM 5 easy (7.51 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.46 min/m)

Wed 5x300 (60) 5x400(75) 5x300 (60) - 3 min b/w sets
    Splits:
    300s; 51, 51, 50, 52, 51
    400s; 72, 72, 72, 73, 74
    300s; 52, 53, 53, 55, 53

Thurs 6 easy (7.24 min/m)
    Fri AM 5 easy (8.03 min/m) PM 6 easy (7.30 min/m)
    Sat 9 easy (7.36 min/m)
    Sun AM National leagues - 3000m walk/400m hurdles/High Jump

Body was really feeling tired this week morning runs were fairly easy and, paces were down and mileage was feeling like a bit of a chore to actually get close to usual weekly figures.

Thankfully had a sit down with the coach and a chat which was good for the aul mojo and a bit of discussion around the coming weeks/months. Unfortunately the price for this was a shock to the system session with something a bit zippier than body is used to. Dunno if it was just the heavy humid conditions or the fact I was tired but it wore me down a good bit and the session got away from me a little in the latter stages.

Had a steady long run planned for Sat but we agreed to push it back as I was still feeling tired and truth be told I didn't have it in the legs (easy pace took a bit to get into.

3000m Walk
    Sunday was all about the leagues as we were on home soil we wanted to give a good showing. Managed to get a fairly solid team out and as captain I decided to relinquish my steeple position to one of the young lads and sweep up where we were lacking

Unfortunately organisers conspired against me by having the walk and the 400m hurdles on straight after each other trying to sabotage possibility of a double (because there are so many hurdle walkers out there :p). The walk was first up and had company in the form of eldiva who used to frequent these parts in the same boat as myself doing captaincy duties. There were only 3 of us in division one so I was assured podium if I could finish without a DQ.

Gun went and immediately Monaghan walker was out in front at a decent club (aside from the actual walkers in Prem who tore off into the distance) started getting into a rhythm after a while with eldiva in toe as the vague bit of muscle memory I had from last years walk was coming back the pace began to pick up. Within 400m the legs were burning, shins giving out and just in general feeling like crap.

Before long I was actually starting to be aggressive and started reeling in Monaghan who I could hear was gasping after going out to hard. Myself and eldiva were side by side and even though we were not competing against each other for points the banter/rivalry was setting the seen as I joked to him about going to out kick him. Didn't help that most of the child hood friends from Raheny were there to support/give us abuse from the side lines

About 5 laps in and we had traded the lead between us a bit and put a bit of distance between ourselves and Monaghan I was actually leading Div 1 for maximum points, thought about easing up a bit and saving myself for the hurdles but the pain it was causing I just wanted it to be over. At this point I dunno if I pissed off the judge or lapse in concentration affecting form due to a joke having the two of us were in stitches but I got a yellow, my first yellow ever in a walk, I was gonna have to play smart to not get DQ'ed and have it all be for nothing. Eldiva pulled away a bit as I regained composure but I wasn't letting him away, 600m to go and I was driving hard caught him and at the bell we were neck and neck.Neither of us was giving an inch as neither of us would live it down losing to the other. Coming off the last bend and we were as close to a walk sprint as we could while not getting DQ'ed, he recieved a yellow here but didn't care we were so close shoulder to shoulder, coming to the line and I turned to see him dip for the line; my first thought's "what a fecking eejit dipping in a walk race" soon turned to "feck why didn't I think of that as we crossed the line to close to tell before unofficially being give it by a whisker :D:D

There is nothing like the feeling of crossing the line of a walk race to go into full stride just to stop the burning pain in the hips.

official time 20.49 - New PB and club record by 34 seconds pending ratification:cool::cool::P

400mH

Didn't have time to rest on my laurels though as I was straight across to pick up my spikes and hit the line for the hurdles, again 4 in this one but closest I had to a non experienced runner here was someone who was a 110 specialist. This was not going to be pretty as my body was shot. Hadn't been over a hurdle in years and my one practice stride I hit pretty hard.

My usually non existent block technique of seeing what set up I didn't fall out of and I was off, a slow reaction but once I got out technique was alright (as well as it can be with the mobility and flexibilty of a 90 year aul lad on viagra :P)

At 200m and I was still doing my own thing, well out the back but not completely out of the race, I was gassed however at this stage and the possibility of a DNF in a one lap race was becoming plausible. Came around last bend and stuttered like hell coming up to hurdle made a leap for the sky and hoped for the best to clear it, split second and I didnt feel anything drying to drag my leg back. I had made it :) just one more to get over (CLEARED!!) and my usual sprint kick knowing there are no more barriers to deal with was non existent as I crossed the line at little more than a jog, the legs completely spent

4th/4 in 69.08

High Jump
    Got a text from work saying not to rush in as was quiet, I should have ignored but checked the timetable for field events, HJ just about to start and we didn't have anyone in it so I said to myself one jump and get out.

Last year a Sli Chuilann guy had saved me by coming in at the same height (some 50cm below everyone elses starting height) this year an aul lad showed up for them and I thought okay still missing a HJer this will be grand till I see he is wearing HJ specific spikes. :eek::eek: sneakily edge my way towards Timmaay from around these parts for a bit of a chin wag, he confirms my worst fears "ah yeah he is coming back to the sport used to be a 2.05 man but only jumping 1.70 this year"

Balls there goes that idea. Thankfully I see another lad come in at 1.20. I sail over 1.30 first time, job done points in the bag and your man fails twice before bowing out. Turned to judge to see the next starting height - 1.40. Hmmmm... feck it says I crank her up to 1.40. he is up first, a fail! This could be okay as I fail miserable to. He goes again, last time was a fluke as he sails over with about 20 cm to spare, my heard sinks, much like my lead ar$e on the next 2 attempts. 1.30 was all I was good for today but it was valuable points as we managed to top the pool with a very solid points return.

With all the seriousness around training to best of our ability and everything focusing on getting the best out of our specific events the fun element of getting out of comfort zone and putting the club ahead of personal agendas makes this arguable one of the funnest elements of the sport year in and year out for me even if my body doesn't thank me kindly for it :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So Walk, hurdles and High Jump. Certainly the most unexpected update of the weekend, well done!

So Walk, hurdles and High Jump. Certainly the most unexpected update of the weekend, well done!

Staples to any marathon plan for hip strength and explosive power for the finishing kick you need in a marathon :P

Lol events report of the year, brilliant! You might be upgraded from whippersnapper to lead arse though :D

Unexpected? Don't you look at strava !!!

I do but stuff gets lot in there. How do you put a high jump on strava? 0.01 Miles @ 4:30 m/m with elevation gain of 1.7m?

• Advertisement

Lol events report of the year, brilliant! You might be upgraded from whippersnapper to lead arse though :D

Second year in a row where most of the kids in club could out jump me but they are deemed too young for senior competition due to fairness on the kids :P

(Wish they had that sort of compassion for us vertically challenged people:D)

Advertisement