Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

adrian522 wrote: »
    I do but stuff gets lot in there. How do you put a high jump on strava? 0.01 Miles @ 4:30 m/m with elevation gain of 1.7m?

Thats the stuff of dreams sadly haha.

Was considering putting it under Crossfit but just felt wrong and dirty, couldn't bring myself to do it :D

Was hard on myself though didn't even log the 1.9 miles for the walk

3000m Walk - 20.49.49 - 1st (of 3)
    400m hurdles - 69.08 - 4th (of 4)
    High Jump - 1.30 - 4th (of 5)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was hard on myself though didn't even log the 1.9 miles for the walk

If you'd gotten DQ'd you could've logged it. :pac:

Fair play - I remember your report from this last year, even better selection of events this year!

Mon - 15 steady (6.35 min/m)
    Tues - 6 easy (8.12 min/m)
    Wed AM 5 easy (7.25 min/m) PM 7.1 easy (7.31 min/m)
    Thurs AM 2.1 shakeout (8.22 min/m) PM Clonee 10k - 7th - 34.14
    Fri AM 10.1 easy (7.48 min/m) PM 8.5 easy (7.36 min/m)
    Sat 6 easy (7.13 min/m)
    Sun OFF

Total weekly mileage: 70.1 miles

Where did that 6 months go. Its been a bit of a blur year but looking back with all the race its no wonder it has kinda got me away from thinking too much beyond week on week. A quick scan over strava logs shows me 13 races since the start of the year:

1 x 1500m
    1 x 2 mile
    2 x 5km
    4 x 5 mile (one cross country)
    3 x 10km
    2 x 10 mile

(not to mention my foray into the world of multi eventing last weekend)

Looking back on previous years this would have been a decent return on races for a 12 month period but it has in a way kept me mentally fresh and focused me on the minor things in build up to races which has allowed me to overall so the little things better on a consistent basis rather than grand overhaul changes in the throngs of "deep training blocks"

Anyway enough with the musings and digressions.....

... This week started with apprehension. The race walk on Sunday had done a number on the body, hips screaming, knees tender but it was all DOMS related so I knew would be grand. Having said that the plan was a steady long run, something hadn't done in a while and with the lack of tempo work under the coach I hadn't a clue how this was gonna go. To top it off the weather was fairly muck to. Said to myself if I ease into it and clock 7 ish pace in first 2 mile and go from there hopefully I will get into it. Mile one 6.41, oops :P hit the ground running and never looked back from there. Truth be told I was cruising and as the run went on the DOMS started loosening up and actually felt better. Overall the session was alot more controlled than a 14 steady I didn this time last year in much better conditions. Very happy with how it went.

My original plan had been St. Coca's on the Friday however we opted to change up distances with the gradeds 5k on the following Wednesday, truth be told body was still tired and wasn't expecting too much from this race other than a good workout. Found out the morning of that one of the guys from club on way back from injury was running so we through out a feeler for anyone else from club in case there was any others entered. One of the lads agreed to do it and suddenly we had a half decent team, could give me something to run for.

Long day in work and bus out had the mood still pretty low, coupled with the fact that the legs were still heavy and not loosening out on the warm up meant this one could be a slog.

Gun went and took off on a nice fast 1st mile. The leaders took off and given how I was feeling I figured I would be nice and let Somba, Dunleavy and the boys off and settle into the second group. Pace was fast, perhaps too fast as we came through 1st km in about 3.15. I didn't feel comfortable at all, calves tight and lower back was stiffening up trying to run upright I think, after 1st mile I knew I was not gonna be hanging onto the group of 5 now formed at 5.14 pace for 1st mile.

I fell off pace quite early and was running on my own as pace fell off a cliff according to the watch, the lads pulled just far enough away and didn't have the fight to reel them in as I saw the next mile rattle off at 5.44. The 34.30 that I said I would be happy with before the race was already in jeopardy.

Blustery pace made it fair grim running by my self but one of the Celbridge lads had also fell off the back of the group and though I wasn't gaining on him it did give me a bit of a life line. At 5km mark (I suspect this was off now) I saw the clock reading 17.30 and panicked :eek: The way I was going backwards I thought that a sub 35 was gonna be a pipe dream unless I got my act together.

From here I started hearing someone on the shoulder, lead woman comes charging by me giving me a new target; "forget the watch its only depressing you with how backwards you are going, slot in get going again and kick on"

Thankfully for the first time that evening the body and the mind were took a positive mood as I regained composure and started moving well again, paces also started to improve as we started reeling in Celbridge runner I am no longer slotting in but driving the pace. A quick cheer from FD/Annie as I kick on pushing hard to try and salvage a respectable time working out the maths in my head coming by each KM mark

As I came around the last corner there was no sprint kick but I was in top gear. Seeing the clock in the distance I start to realize there was something wrong, clock was still reading mid to high 33s, and not the 34/35/36 range that I was panicking about, I had got the maths wrong and was actually on for a solid time, getting near the line even the PB might have been achieveable, though just not enough to get there crossing the line in 34.14 for 7th place, just shy of the 34.10 PB

Afterthoughts:

Initial thoughts were this was not a good run and that I bluffed it a bit but looking back I probably didn't do the wind on way out justice in how much it had slowed me and just put it down to bad day at the office. Overall I would have liked to have given this race a bash fully fresh now but all things considered have to be delighted with it.

To cap of the night our last min 3rd scorer had a huge result with a 2 min PB (not bad considering he did a club 5 mile race on Tuesday) We finished 3rd overall team not enough to win outright but still a solid performance for the club and always nice to have the club name out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Wow - didn't realise it was so close to your PB. Super stuff. That wind was a pain in 1st 3m.

• Advertisement

Wow - didn't realise it was so close to your PB. Super stuff. That wind was a pain in 1st 3m.

Neither did I till the home stretch :D still it was 2 seconds quicker than fastest race this year. I think I was feeling so bad before the race the wind was the least of my worries :P

Still it's no 55 sec PB and podium spot though, delighted for you man never seen a bigger smile on anyone in such crappy conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

4 seconds!!! I shoulda shouted louder at you the first time through the junction :D excellent result L especially if you were going to be happy with 34:30 going into the race and lovely to catch up afterwards.

Mon 4x200, 2x400m, 800m, 2x400m, 4x200m
    Splits: 32, 35, 34, 34, 75, 75, 2.26, 38*

Tues 3 mile rec (8.17 min/m)
    Wed OFF

Thurs Docklands 5k - 16.37
    Splits: 3.05, 3.14, 3.22, 3.26, 3.22

Fri AM 4 easy (7.57 min/m) PM 6 easy (8.03 min/m)
    Sat 7.6 easy (8.01 min/m)
    Sun 7x1 mile (3 min - 30 sec reducing recs)
    Splits: 5.44, 5.47, 5.47, 5.47, 5.48, 5.52, 5.47

Total Weekly Mileage: 52.3 miles

Not a week to remember.

I debated about how to write this log update as normally my posts tend to be a bit matter of fact about training to an extent as I think that these days people seem to need an obstacle to overcome to make there achievements worthy somehow for most part so I prefer to stick to the idea of the pursuit of personal development and the simplicity of putting in the work to get the reward. For the sake of transparency for myself in my log though decided to push on though..

Monday was a session was pushed back from Sunday due to a bit of a nasty hangover, session itself was controlled to a point but overcooked it on the 800 (not pace was as was slow) and mentally gave up thinking it was just the affects of the weekends antic.

On Tuesday though I started to realise that this was not just "the fear" post piss up as I was anxious, trouble breathing, HR sky high at rest and just generally fearful. Back in college I do recall very very mild anxiety but nothing like I was feeling. By Wednesday and it was the same I was tired, anxious and just altogether feeling like ****e, had the day off so rested up as I was racing in Gradeds. Whether it was subconscious or not I woke up to text from coach asking how the race left, me having not left the couch. It was the first time I had not made a race for no reason. Woke up panicked and scrambled to try and correct things, I knew I wouldn't be able to mentally face a tough rewarding session but at same time I knew I needed to get something done as I had done feck all last two days so managed to pop down for a late number pick up for Docklands on lunch break from work.

Ran from work straight down HR high enough for a MP tempo. I was generally panicked about how bad I was gonna do, telling people that 16.30 would be a decent night but realistically worried that sub 17 min would be a struggle. Went out with leading girls just behind dublinrunner and knew if I looked at the watch and it was either fast or slow I would panic so ignored it completely, after 200m I was just short of hyperventilating yet at the same time pace felt very controlled in the legs. By 1km the watch rattled off at 3.05. I knew I was gonna go backwards but at same time thought to myself the heart is not gonna explode. From here just focused on trying to stay in touch with the group I was running with in the hope I could get onto the back before we turned back into the wind. Gosh passed me and looked to be running well

At 3k pace had slowed but I was making more ground than I expected, the strength kicking in and I wasn't the only one as Krusty came charging by. 4th km was just focused on holding on to sub 3.30s. came off bridge with wind on my back to pick up the pace a little gaining on second woman and a few others and cross the line in 16.37 - slowest 5k time of the year but happy none the less. Disappeared off for a few min behind wooden shelter of a walk way for some space as I tried to control my breathing as I was having a bit of a mild panic attack before regained composure enough to chat to Dublinrunner, Krusty, Singer and Wubble bubble. before chatting with coach and heading off home on cooldown. Looking back on the HR I have never seen it so high (about 10 beats above normal race range) which showed me wasn't all in my head but at the same time I could still run reasonably well.

This ended up calming me a bit and started to feel a little better by friday morning however still not feeling right despite feeling calmer got the second kick in the teeth by time I woke up saturday completely zonked and struggled through my run, the week had obviously taken it's toll (or perhaps it was underlying cause finally coming to a head) as I was down with a full dose, felt awful the full day so plenty of fluids in work and an early night to try and shake it. Felt better Sunday morning but by no means 100% didn't know how the session was gonna go, target paces were 5.30-5.40 but as myself and DR kicked into session I knew that this was not happening so focused on effort and despite everything turned out with a decent session where effort was definitely there.

Not feeling great as day went on so decided to bag evening run and try shake this and hopefully get back on track this week coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Any chance you are venturing into the old ways of ecoli again? You've done an absolute mountain of races over the last while with some hard workouts as well. Maybe you're anxiety symptoms are stemming from raised cortisol levels and the hard efforts? just this week, you had 2 workouts and a race and pushed through them while feeling awful, I think it might be a good time to take your foot off the gas and recover for a while.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Any chance you are venturing into the old ways of ecoli again? You've done an absolute mountain of races over the last while with some hard workouts as well. Maybe you're anxiety symptoms are stemming from raised cortisol levels and the hard efforts? just this week, you had 2 workouts and a race and pushed through them while feeling awful, I think it might be a good time to take your foot off the gas and recover for a while.

I think I was managing well though the last two weekends prior to this one I have been contending with hangovers on a Sunday morning which probably affected recovery for sure however I think anxiety was non running related (have one or two suspected things in mind) Ultimately actually started to come around from that Friday but I think by that stage I was run down.

Its funny despite all the racing I actually feel in a better place about the consistent training, motivation is high and the fact that I am not worrying about planning sessions or even trying to hit particular mileage is helping mentally so I would say cortisol levels are probably offset somewhat in that regard.

Training has become simplistic to the point where I feel that previously probably being a bit too cautious and wrapping up in cotton wool.

Planned off racing this weekend then National Seniors and then a few days down time and sort a few other things out and should be good to go again and all systems go for Berlin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I think I was managing well though the last two weekends prior to this one I have been contending with hangovers on a Sunday morning which probably affected recovery for sure however I think anxiety was non running related (have one or two suspected things in mind) Ultimately actually started to come around from that Friday but I think by that stage I was run down.

Its funny despite all the racing I actually feel in a better place about the consistent training, motivation is high and the fact that I am not worrying about planning sessions or even trying to hit particular mileage is helping mentally so I would say cortisol levels are probably offset somewhat in that regard.

Training has become simplistic to the point where I feel that previously probably being a bit too cautious and wrapping up in cotton wool.

Planned off racing this weekend then National Seniors and then a few days down time and sort a few other things out and should be good to go again and all systems go for Berlin.

Idk man, I don't think we are going to agree on this one. The cotton wool approach took you a long way and I understand that you have to move on to keep progressing but how much have you moved on? You've essentially being racing yourself back into shape since your break which is fine but you and I both know from experience that you can only do that for so long. I think if you read back over your log for the last few months of updates, you'll see a trend towards fatigue, elevated HR's and chasing workouts not just this week. Maybe I'm being overcautious but that's my instinct and I hope you are not digging yourself into a hole. My 2c fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Idk man, I don't think we are going to agree on this one. The cotton wool approach took you a long way and I understand that you have to move on to keep progressing but how much have you moved on? You've essentially being racing yourself back into shape since your break which is fine but you and I both know from experience that you can only do that for so long. I think if you read back over your log for the last few months of updates, you'll see a trend towards fatigue, elevated HR's and chasing workouts not just this week. Maybe I'm being overcautious but that's my instinct and I hope you are not digging yourself into a hole. My 2c fwiw

This is why we log on Boards - should be more of this - even if El C is "wrong" - its a great question with good back up.

This is why we log on Boards - should be more of this - even if El C is "wrong" - its a great question with good back up.

Definitely agree good to see debate and different opinions

Interesting observation looking back over the log in terms of moving on not quite sure I agree

1500m -2nd fastest ever time (within 2 sec of PB)
    5k - 10 second PB
    5 mile - 45 sec PB
    10k - 3rd fastest time (within 4 sec)

In terms of training based off comparing to this time last year paces are quicker at same effort, yearly mileage is up, consistency this year better.

Also looking at the races as I have plenty of more sustained efforts that last year (5 miles and 10ks in particular) which I think will stand to me come marathon especially with consistent long runs which were missing in early stages last year.

I know this week seems bad but looking back if 50 mile a half decent race and decent enough session is a bad one I think in itself that shows I'm in a lot better place.

Definitely will play cautious the next few days but this is the first poor week since march.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Look, I don't know you at all - just what I read here in your log - and I would never presume to tell you how to train. Stress/anxiety however is something I do have experience of. In my experience anxiety and fatigue go hand in hand. In my (albeit limited) experience, anxieties and stresses from external sources will have a definite impact on both workout and race performances. On the other hand, I'm also aware that sometimes the opposite is true - fatigue and anxiety will result from heavy training and can effect external things. I also know that sometime it's there's a physical reason for all of it, and sometimes it can be difficult to pin down the source of the problem. Maybe I've gotten the wrong end of the stick here altogether. I suppose all I'm trying to say is that it's all connected and I think logging your frame of mind at the time of a workout or race is as important as logging your splits - they are all connected. It's not about needing a obstacle to overcome to make your achievements worthy - it's just about recognising that sometimes there is obstacles to be overcome in order to get that personal development and reap those rewards.

Too cheesy? Probably. Talking a load of b0ll0x? Maybe. Preaching to the choir? Most definitely. But I achieved an awful lot with your help on the 2105 graduates thread and I've learned a lot from a lot of the advice you've given on here, so when I read your log post I felt I had to say something - even if it's just chin up lad, it'll all work out in the end.

Look, I don't know you at all - just what I read here in your log - and I would never presume to tell you how to train. Stress/anxiety however is something I do have experience of. In my experience anxiety and fatigue go hand in hand. In my (albeit limited) experience, anxieties and stresses from external sources will have a definite impact on both workout and race performances. On the other hand, I'm also aware that sometimes the opposite is true - fatigue and anxiety will result from heavy training and can effect external things. I also know that sometime it's there's a physical reason for all of it, and sometimes it can be difficult to pin down the source of the problem. Maybe I've gotten the wrong end of the stick here altogether. I suppose all I'm trying to say is that it's all connected and I think logging your frame of mind at the time of a workout or race is as important as logging your splits - they are all connected. It's not about needing a obstacle to overcome to make your achievements worthy - it's just about recognising that sometimes there is obstacles to be overcome in order to get that personal development and reap those rewards.

Too cheesy? Probably. Talking a load of b0ll0x? Maybe. Preaching to the choir? Most definitely. But I achieved an awful lot with your help on the 2105 graduates thread and I've learned a lot from a lot of the advice you've given on here, so when I read your log post I felt I had to say something - even if it's just chin up lad, it'll all work out in the end.

Completely agree with you.

Its funny after a good bit of thought over the last week or so on exactly trying to pin point things it helped get a bit of perspective. I think this was something that was definitely bubbling under the surface for a few months and was part of the reason why I approached the coach in first place to just not think about training and planning and taking on thing off my plate.

I think I was managing things just about till I had the few drinks which just sent fatigue over the edge. Wasn't intentional nights out either but burned candles at each end and fizzled a bit, anxiety wise feeling a good bit better now and I think the sickness will pass soon enough so just gonna make sure I get back on top of the rest of the stuff and hopefully kick on again in no time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Ah sure why not add me two cents, unwelcome as it is :D The others have spoken about fatigue so that's that box ticked.

When it comes to anxiety tiredness and stress can for sure kick it off. Maybe at your end of the scale weeks like this are bound to happen.

1. Another factor can be what you're putting into your system. Has your caffeine in take increased? Have you been taking gels? Are there any additives in them which could set your anxiety levels off?

2. Is there anything else that you've added? Not for a second getting at performance enhancing stuff btw :pac: I mean vitamins or something? Or those protein shake things? Is there anything in them that has these side affects?

3. You say it was building up this time so you introduced a coach. Do you think adding the coach has added to your fears rather than fixing them? You've created an extra level of pressure for yourself?

Like HBS said, with anxiety it's usually a matter of pinpointing what it is. Sometimes you guess right and you fix it. If it's fatigue and stress, great. If not, just trying to come up with alternatives. Otherwise if it was building up, and it's something you suffered from in college, it might need looking into further.

Ah sure why not add me two cents, unwelcome as it is :D The others have spoken about fatigue so that's that box ticked.

Not sure where the unwelcome advice tone is coming from (am I that grouchy a fecker :P) definitely welcome all input and different perspectives, that's what the logs are all about. I'll try answer things as best as I can from my perspective anyway (which may be wrong mindset to be on)
    1. Another factor can be what you're putting into your system. Has your caffeine in take increased? Have you been taking gels? Are there any additives in them which could set your anxiety levels off?

I am not quite sure my caffein intake could increase, have always had coffee in my blood haha. No gels taken since the marathon last year and generally pretty good on the nutrition side of things (even takeaway treats are a mexican - grilled chicken, pinto beans, beetroot, avocado and lettuce- and a few nachos)
    2. Is there anything else that you've added? Not for a second getting at performance enhancing stuff btw :pac: I mean vitamins or something? Or those protein shake things? Is there anything in them that has these side affects?

Nope tend to follow the au natural approach of good eats, odd protein shake but would be very odd when I can't get a decent bit of food in mean time (i.e just after a session etc)
    3. You say it was building up this time so you introduced a coach. Do you think adding the coach has added to your fears rather than fixing them? You've created an extra level of pressure for yourself?

It's funny one of the praises I have had for this training cycle under him is I won't know a session I have till usually at earliest 24 hours before, I don't worry about taking it easy with another big session coming up on the horizon 7 or 10 days down the line I am more in the moment about each session which is a huge weight off the mind. The racing probably put a strain on me but truth be told I think it was more other factors gaining traction that made the racing take its toll more as normally I am healthy enough to cope with it.

Coming around a bit now though and sickness seems to be dissipating and back on track anyway so hopefully fix a few things to prevent this becoming a cycle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Hah...no...no reflection on yourself...it could just look like the dosser down the back of the class trying to tell the A student how to decipher his exam results. Which I'm not at all trying to do.

Sometimes with anxiety you're hoping that it's box A that's the answer and if it turns out not to be, it can make it worse. Which is why Iwould always be of the mindset of breaking it down into anything new that's entering thE system. But I'm glad you have an answer yourself and are feeling better.

Whilst I'm here I'll say the other 2 things I left out of my previous post, in case I came across as totally mad.

It could have been the drink you were consuming on the night out. I know with me Guinness and Carlsberg are awful head benders so I don't touch them anymore.

The other thing is, if it happens again if you lie on your back, with one hand on your stomach and the other on your chest. Breathe in for 8 seconds and out for 6, making sure your stomach is rising higher than your chest. Do that 5 times and it can help stem it. Obviously not the thing to do in the finish area post race :pac: but it might help to not reach that level.

Right that's all me cents spent now. :D

Mon 12 easy (7.38 min/m)
    Tues AM 5 easy (7.56 min/m) PM 6 easy (7.39 min/m)
    Wed OFF

Thurs AM 5 easy (7.52 min/m) PM 16x400 (30 sec rec)
    Splits:
    75, 76, 75, 76, 77, 77, 79, 79,
    79, 80, 81, 81, 81, 80, 83, 79

Fri 7.5 easy (7.11 min/m)
    Sat AM 3 shakeout (8.27 min/m) PM 11 easy (7.28 min/m)
    Sun AM 4 easy (7.32 min/m) PM 12x200m hills

Total Weekly Mileage 73.6

On paper a half decent week but truth be told still getting back to myself. Ran Monday's medium run on HR just so I wouldn't push it too hard although was surprised that it was as fast as it was given that felt tired and still not over the bug all day, perhaps I was convincing myself I was worse than I was

Session was supposed to be done on Wednesday but was still not right so made the choice to take the day completely off and try and shake it once and for all. Felt better thursday but energy levels still on the low side and between that and the wind the paces faded through the session though managed to get it done which I took positives from.

Friday and Saturday were weird days, felt tired and runs tough in heavy conditions but the paces and legs felt grand. Laboured through and just got the head down. Sundays hills followed a day on the hill for Leinster final so heat had got to me a bit, in all the rushing home from work before the match realised I hadn't charged the garmin but thankfully was on the usual hill so just dug in and got it done, prob not stellar splits but another box ticked.

All in all not where I want to be going into All Ireland's this week body is fine but in general am tired, chasing more sleep than I probably should be and feel like I will come right but might be a week or two too late but sure c'est la vie.

The best of luck this weekend, I hope it all goes to plan. :)

• Advertisement

Cheers,

Plan at this stage is just not to implode, over the worst of illness but have been tired the last few days (legs feel fresh mind you) but sleeping more than ever and just despite improving daily might just be a bit shy on time of full fitness.

Sure we give it a bash anyway. Will have a front row seat to the front runners as they lap me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Cheers,

Plan at this stage is just not to implode, over the worst of illness but have been tired the last few days (legs feel fresh mind you) but sleeping more than ever and just despite improving daily might just be a bit shy on time of full fitness.

Sure we give it a bash anyway. Will have a front row seat to the front runners as they lap me :D
    Are you running 10 or 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Cheers,

Are you running 10 or 5?

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Are you running 10 or 5?

25 lap races are few and far between these days so it would be rude not to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you can have a chat with Paul on the way around :)

How does one keep count of 25 laps :eek: I had trouble keeping count at our 2 mile league :D

RayCun wrote: »
    you can have a chat with Paul on the way around :)

Think the coach might well give me a boot up the backside as he is lapping me if he catches me having the chats in a race :p

How does one keep count of 25 laps :eek: I had trouble keeping count at our 2 mile league :D

Think of it as practice for the marathon except swapping laps for miles :P

I do remember doing the Night of 10,000m PB's a few years back and didn't wear the watch as there was an infield clock. There was a technical issue for a few laps and when it came back on I was doing the mental arithmetic to ensure I was still on for PB and was there or there abouts. Turns out I had slowed dramatically and as a result I was a lap out from what i thought I was based off the time.

Soul destroying does not begin to describe it ha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

they have a lap counter at the finish line, saying how many are left... that's how many the leader has left... so you just have to keep track of how many times the leader has lapped you :pac:

• Advertisement

Mon 9 easy (7.53 min/m)
    Tues AM 11.7 easy (7.37 min/m) PM 4.6 easy (7.49 min/m)
    Wed 8x300 (75 rec)

Splits: 59, 55, 54, 52, 53, 52, 52, 53
    Thurs 4 easy (8.17 min/m) PM 6 easy (8.25 min/m)
    Fri 3.1 shakeout (8.29 min/m)
    Sat National Seniors 10,000m - 35.45

Splits:
    5.04, 5.17, 5.36, 5.42, 5.48, 5.53
    3.11, 3.18, 3.23, 3.29, 3.34, 3.37, 3.40, 3.46, 3.45, 3.56

Sun OFF

Total Weekly Mileage: 53.4

Not much to report during the week kept the runs easy and just saving the legs for the weekend, still not feeling 100% but was kinda hoping for one of those 1 in a 1000 days where everything clicks into place; sadly it wasn't to be

Good buzz around the track with some great races and some old running friends popping out of the woodwork. A little warm but other than that couldn't have asked for better weather for the day that was in it. Had a genione race nerves I hadn't had in a long while. Warm up and I was sweating heavy (probably the first indication of a bad day) well warmed up and drills done though calves still a little sore despite the fact it was an week to freshen them up.

Out onto the track with gosh and jebuz from these neck of the woods and a few last min words with the coach before lining up. Field was bigger than usual this year which came to my delight as I figured there was a better chance of actually having people to run with.

Gun went and I slotted straight to the back, I figured I would be met after 150m due to the staggered start. Hit the 200m mark in 37 in what I though was being the back marker. It was a touch too fast for me at 100% but definitely too fast when i had been struggling the last few weeks. I was committed though and just had to try and hold on to the field as best I could for as long as I could. It didn't let up either with the 400m split at 73. At this point I saw that jebuz had been behind as was coming past me. This confirmed to me that the pace was beyond where I was able to be as I know Jebuz would have about 90 seconds on me on a good day.

Came through 1km in 3.11, faster than 5k pb pace and I was already feeling it a little. From here the paces started settling a bit after a 5.04 opening mile, I stayed slotted in behind one of the lads from Rathfarnham in the hope to forget the watch and just focus on staying relaxed. Normally better than me he seemed to be suffering a bit more than me early on so thought he may have overcooked it to point where I could stay with him and hopefully get back up to Gosh who had gone out like a train.

When going out so hard I always ask myself two questions;

1) is it enough of a buffer for a good time, and 2) how much will I slow

The second question usually becomes the much more relevant one as I came through 5k in 16.55 still under PB pace but knew my splits were going the wrong way and dramatically. The leash broke and Rathfarnham kicked on and despite repeated efforts to pick things up I just didn'ts have energy to respond; whats started at 5k pace was slowing to 10k, and then HM as focus changed from my own race to not getting in the way of those lapping me challenging for major honours.

Coming into the last km and I had started shoring up the leak (or maybe hit rock bottom but I I figured would be in or around the 35 min mark if I could dig in for a kick. Sadly that kick never came as the stomach gave out on the back straight I limped home at a crawl, probably the low point of my running in a long while crossing the line 90 sec slower than my last 2 10k's. In truth I probably gave up that last lap and shut down more than I had to and time probably worse than it appears but a bad day at the office none the less

Afterthoughts
    I knew this race was always gonna be a stretch there had been nothing to indicate I was in the right physical or mental fitness to give this my all but I had to try. Been threatening to do National Seniors for the last few years and couldn't pull out again. It's also humbling to see just how good the top guys are in the country and put yourself up against them. It's easy in this country to be a big fish in a small pond with selective races but putting yourself out there with no where to hide is what will make or break you in terms of motivation and despite that probably being the slowest finishing time in the last few years in National Seniors it has me hungry to get back and do myself justice next year.

Ultimately now though the body needs rest so I am on a major recharge mission and trying to sort some behind the scenes stuff to try and get back on track for Berlin

Advertisement