Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great honesty there, you gave it a shot it didn't work but it left you hungry to try again. Hope a few days off will cure the malaise of late L, you had been flying till that set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Been threatening to do National Seniors for the last few years and couldn't pull out again. It's also humbling to see just how good the top guys are in the country and put yourself up against them. It's easy in this country to be a big fish in a small pond with selective races but putting yourself out there with no where to hide is what will make or break you in terms of motivation and despite that probably being the slowest finishing time in the last few years in National Seniors it has me hungry to get back and do myself justice next year.

And we know which it will do for you. Not the day you wanted I know but despite not being 100% in the run up to it you still put yourself out there, more than many here would ever attempt so kudos for that. Recover well, Berlin beckons and you know you have a superb performance in you for that with hard work and consistent training.

Time to knock the hangovers on the head?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Time to knock the hangovers on the head?!

Given it was 2 nights out since probably about March I suspect they were more trigger than the cause if that makes sense. It's funny I ordered Magness new book (which seems to have got lost in transit) which judging by social media posts he does talks alot about burnout etc not from a training aspect but from a more general sense. Definitely think I could manage the training and racing as I had done but build up of external factors probably contributed till breaking point.

Dying with a dose since Sunday which i don't believe is a coincidence either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Given it was 2 nights out since probably about March I suspect they were more trigger than the cause if that makes sense. It's funny I ordered Magness new book (which seems to have got lost in transit) which judging by social media posts he does talks alot about burnout etc not from a training aspect but from a more general sense. Definitely think I could manage the training and racing as I had done but build up of external factors probably contributed till breaking point.

Dying with a dose since Sunday which i don't believe is a coincidence either.

Only 2?!! Okay so :p

Yep sounds like the dose was brewing in the background so - as the 2015 DCM mentor was famed for saying, an hours sleep before midnight is worth 2 after! Really looking forward to seeing what you can do in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

It's funny I ordered Magness new book (which seems to have got lost in transit) which judging by social media posts he does talks alot about burnout etc not from a training aspect but from a more general sense. Definitely think I could manage the training and racing as I had done but build up of external factors probably contributed till breaking point.

The book is pretty interesting - though it's not about running at all. It's more like a self-help guide using well researched stories and evidence to back up their points. I've found myself using a few bits of the book in work recently, which I guess means it's either a really good book or I've become one of those bores who talks about topics related to running in every work meeting :)

It's definitely worth reading, and provides plenty of brain fodder and perspective around motivation and how to deal with things like stress in multiple areas of your life (not just induced through overtraining or a bad race).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Fair play for doing it, more courage than I had. As you said there's nowhere to hide, especially for 25 laps. You finished it too though the thoughts of dropping out must have been in your mind. Maybe take a short break if you can afford a few complete days off, get some rest and good luck with the berlin training block.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair play, Luke, sorry it didn't go your way.

Curious - when you say the stomach gave out in the final km, what does that mean exactly?

Recover well.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Fair play, Luke, sorry it didn't go your way.

Curious - when you say the stomach gave out in the final km, what does that mean exactly?

Recover well.

Whoops log took a back seat for a while there. Stomach giving out was basically was
    me dry wretching followed by puking my ring up
    Not pretty. for those who want to avoid the gory details.

Right so where was I??

Since Nationals I took it down a notch, illness kicked in so after talking with coach we decided to really scale things back so Monday - Thursday it was literally a shuffle in and out to work and nothing more (totalled 16 miles over 4 days all around 9 min miling or slower) Followed this up with 4 days completely off while raking up a ton of frequent flyer miles as I was over in the states.

This was then followed up with the week from hell in work with 7 straight days and loooong hours. A few shuffles again but I didn't have the watch on for this and was a bit of a zombie with jetlag also.

Came off the two down weeks feeling tired still but better at the same time and panic began setting in with only 7 weeks till Berlin.

Mon OFF
    Tues 6 easy (8.02 min/m)
    Wednesday 3 easy (7.34 min/m)
    Thursday Corkscrews
    Fri AM 7.6 easy (7.49 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.55 min/m)
    Sat AM 7 easy (8.04 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.49 min/m)
    Sun 4 easy (7.51 min/m)

Total Weekly mileage: 46.5 miles

After a shaky start to the week and getting back into the routine. Coach had me out with DR for a particularly nasty session. Not gonna lie part of me was thinking that given everything going out to do the session was a recipe for disaster but felt I had to face the music.

Suprisingly it actually went better splits wise than it had back in April and actually ran pretty well. Perhaps it was because I was fresh but either way I will take it.

Monday 17 steady (6.43 min/m)
    Tues 5 easy (7.50 min/m)
    Wednesday 5x2000m (recoveries: 2.30, 2.00, 1.30, 1.00)
    Splits: 6.58, 6.58, 7.00, 7.02, 7.13

Monday's long run cntinued to suprise me, a genuine fear that I could not manage a long run at easy pace was there so the fact that I was consistent at sub 6.45 pace in torrential ran boded well. Definitely took its toll on the body for today though with the short turnaround. Splits were much slower than prescribed and died a death in the last one and pretty much struggled from the offset but happy to finish.

I know I am chasing fitness at the moment and I know I am gonna be tired and training is not gonna look pretty for the next while but I reckon if I keep plugging away at it till Berlin I should hopefully be able to get myself into relatively decent nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Those corkscrews look interesting - whats the stimulus with them as the recovery looks like a full recovery following a mini recovery? Obviously a decent incline for these?

• Advertisement

Those corkscrews look interesting - whats the stimulus with them as the recovery looks like a full recovery following a mini recovery? Obviously a decent incline for these?

Doesn't feel like full recovery I can promise you that! haha

Incline is moderate for first one and steep in second hill. Stimulus wise it dips into an anaerobic session but mental benefits where I really find they help the reset pain tolerance to an extent.

Doesn't hurt that have a watchful eye over me any time I do the session to keep me honest

Thurs 5 miles easy
    Fri AM 6 easy (7.51 min/m) PM 8.9 easy (7.38 min/m)
    Sat 4 easy (8.29 min/m)
    Sunday National League Final; 3000m walk, 5000m, High Jump

Total Weekly Mileage: 68

Slowly creeping back up to where needs to be and club obligations meant I was straight back into racing. Team manager duties for this one are bad enough trying to organize the team and fill all events so continued to do my hoovering up of events where needed (at one stage the 110m hurdles was on the cards as well but sense prevailed).

This year for one of the 1st years I can remember where we have been lacking normally one of our strongest events, the 5000m (we have been lucky enough to have 2 sub 14 min 5000m guys come one after the other who have been more than willing to run when needed for the club) meaning that it was actually open to run.

3000m Walk
    1st up however was the 3000m walk which has become my event since I broke my collarbone and demonstrated that I could actually get the technique right and get around (in an event where DQ's are common this can be vital for picking up good points) Unlike the last round which was sunny and in good spirits this was grim, raining and altogether miserable. Lads took off like a train and I tried to stay in pursuit however this proved an ill advised tactic as I recieved first warning 100m into the race!! Decided to just focus on steady pace and hope people would come back to me or get DQ'ed.

This hurt, body felt stiff and rigid from the start and maybe it was just because I was trying to force it but just felt like I couldn't get into a rhythm and my body was working against me, I did however see that some of the lads up ahead whether they were feeling it in the legs or getting warnings but pace settled and started making ground. There was a guy from Louth that I made my target and aimed to reel in, slowly but surely as the laps tipped by (looking at the watch I was tipping along at about 21 min pace which is in around the best I have done) managed to catch him and a lap or two later I saw him walking back in opposite direction obviously after being DQ'ed

Last lap and went as fast as my little legs could carry me and coming up to the line saw that my time (20.39) was actually under what I had done previously meaning that second time this year I had chipped a bit off the club record. In a club where we have had 1.48 800m guys, 4 min milers and 2.16 marathon runners there is no chance of me getting a sniff at any of the other records so its nice to get the name in the same book as some of the top athletes in the clubs history.

High Jump
    Despite the relief of having a decent enough athlete lined up at the start of the week the the jump guys decided they wanted some amusement and schedules conspired against him making it so I had to fill it.

This one will be short. Weather was miserable, the squeegees were out clearing excess water off the track. I was already soaked to the skin in terms of singlet from the walk and trying to stay dry and warm while standing out in the rain exposed to the elements all I wanted was to get my one token height as usual and be done.

Noticed a number of the lads coming in lower than normal as well so I thought other teams were struggling to field there top guys so might even scrape an extra point or two.

1st Jump - fail, Achilles did not like that one bit and was almost a shock to wake it up,
    2nd Jump - Fail, a better jump but I was starting to panic now of a NH
    3rd Jump - :mad: knew before I got to the bar that was a poor one

In hindsight I realized the reason the lads were coming in lower was accounting for the actual weather so after 25 min getting soaked in the rain I would have been better off not doing it as scored no points anyway and impacted the 5000m still to come. Lessons learned.

5000m
    Legs were tired by time this came around and given that my performances had been going backwards before the break I reckoned 16.45-17.00 would be as good as I could hope for. Gun went and I began to size up the competition Wexford and Bandon were up there in the standings so knew if I could try pick off them maybe might be a solid performance.

After the early stages I was sitting behind a lad from An Riocht feeling fairly comfortable despite 76 opening lap so decided to try and push on and catch up with the next group of Premier runners including the Bandon and Wexford athletes, straight off the bat I knew the pace was too hot and my legs didn't have it in them after the earlier adventures, I was also getting caught in no mans land just off SLOT athlete (in our division as well) , not something I wanted in wet windy conditions so I slotted back to the lads right behind me (An Riocht and Louth) this was now just about placing and ensure I was as high up in our pool as possible.

The lads took it on and I was happy to sit in, a few times they were nearly tripping over each other trying to come around the outside so I figured best to stay off the back and just save the legs, both looked like strength runners than a steady pace worked for so figured I could have them in a kick. Lap after Lap went by and I felt like I was bouncing to be honest, effort nice and controlled and tipping along nicely, wasn't looking at watch as felt it would be slow or that I may panic if I did.

About 3km in a Sli Chulainn athlete came past, I think either we were slowing or he had enough and decided to take it on. I tracked the move and went with him. He looked strong and was moving well so i was a little nervous that he might gap me enough to have me really have to dig in running solo. just before 800m to go he gained about 5-10m on me, I knew I had to get back up on his shoulder soon, thankfully managed to, we were also gaining on SLOT though I felt probably be too far to have a kick catch him.

Bell lap and I was on his shoulder, exactly where I wanted and was torn about trying to kick from 300m (into the wind) or hold it till later but in the end legs made there decision and started winding up. Didn't look he was gonna be able to respond but I knew I had an extra gear anyway and was feeling pretty good, also in the distance I saw SLOT was actually not increasing the pace in any significant way. 200m to go and I kicked gaining ground with every stride, came off the bend with 100m to go and he was in my sights, the only question was would he respond once he caught wind of me coming up on him, he did but in no significant way as I was full out with probably the fastest 200m I have ran in a very very long time and managed to put about 10-15m on him over the last 100m. Crossed the line seeing the watch also, 2nd fastest time ever (where the hell did that come from) and only 4 seconds shy of the PB

2 third place finishes for the day, definitely a productive one for sure and alot higher placing in the 5km that I would have expected. Overall still waiting on official results to be processed but it looks like we were an agonizing 2 points short of the Bronze and on top of that looks as though personally a return to form as well given wasn't a target race and had the walk in the legs it definitely bodes well at being near PB shape so hopefully string together a few more good weeks and kick on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You obviously need to adapt your warm-up to include ten minutes of walking and a couple of jumps :)

RayCun wrote: »
    You obviously need to adapt your warm-up to include ten minutes of walking and a couple of jumps :)

I have assurances that we will have jumpers for next year so I won't have to do it again :rolleyes:

On the walk though I have a 1st and a 3rd in Division this year from 2 outings and doing a Y Isinbayeva on the club record chipping away with it so it's obviously working. On a serious note though walk as part of warm up probably not a bad shout for distance runners as I do think could be a way of developing hip strength to reduce common distance runner injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd rather be injured :pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done man, that's a super 5k given what came before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

League final being so late made a mockery out of the whole thing. Leevale pulled both their men's and women's team from the final as they had very little athletes to chose from as most had ended their season.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    League final being so late made a mockery out of the whole thing. Leevale pulled both their men's and women's team from the final as they had very little athletes to chose from as most had ended their season.

Wasn't there complaints that the domestic season was over too early last year?

Ideally it would be great to have it at the height of the season but look at the calendar this year since mid July

14/15th July (Morton Games/Cork City Sports/Le Cheile/Letterkenny International races)
    20th/23rd July (European Juniors/National Seniors)
    30th July - National League R2
    August 4th/5th - Worlds
    August 12/13th - Worlds
    August 20th - League Final

I know we didn't have many at worlds but the schedule is presumably done to prevent clash if we do end up with a flurry of qualifiers as its a developmental competition much like most domestic competitions.

If anything it opens up club to trying to develop depth being able to cover rounds through the summer

Wasn't there complaints that the domestic season was over too early last year?

Ideally it would be great to have it at the height of the season but look at the calendar this year since mid July

14/15th July (Morton Games/Cork City Sports/Le Cheile/Letterkenny International races)
    20th/23rd July (European Juniors/National Seniors)
    30th July - National League R2
    August 4th/5th - Worlds
    August 12/13th - Worlds
    August 20th - League Final

I know we didn't have many at worlds but the schedule is presumably done to prevent clash if we do end up with a flurry of qualifiers as its a developmental competition much like most domestic competitions.

If anything it opens up club to trying to develop depth being able to cover rounds through the summer

If it is on late then there needs to be other meets on in the 3 weeks leading up to it to keep athletes interested and motivated. Who wants to keep training for 3 weeks to maybe do a relay or take part in a secondary event of theirs.

Worlds isn't a valid reason to have no meets. We had 5 athletes on the track there, and they aren't exactly the type of athletes that frequent too many grassroots type meets anyway.

Last season was a freak because of Euros and Olympics in one year. In 2020 the Euros are after Olympics, so we won't see a June nationals again until 2024 at earliest.

If it is on late then there needs to be other meets on in the 3 weeks leading up to it to keep athletes interested and motivated. Who wants to keep training for 3 weeks to maybe do a relay or take part in a secondary event of theirs.

Worlds isn't a valid reason to have no meets. We had 5 athletes on the track there, and they aren't exactly the type of athletes that frequent too many grassroots type meets anyway.

Last season was a freak because of Euros and Olympics in one year. In 2020 the Euros are after Olympics, so we won't see a June nationals again until 2024 at earliest.

It's a team event though for many athletes that is enough. Many athletes yesterday had no problem prolonging there season as it's not as if this wasn't on the calendar since the start of the year.

In terms of top athletes Gregan, McMullen, Proper would be regular participants in this event and would be challenging for Global qualification. There are plenty of flaws with the leagues no doubt but it's one of the few events that actually promotes a club community atmosphere and and team spirit and most people who compete in it (and to be fair its the same faces year in and year out for the most part) appreciate that

• Advertisement

It's a team event though for many athletes that is enough. Many athletes yesterday had no problem prolonging there season as it's not as if this wasn't on the calendar since the start of the year.

In terms of top athletes Gregan, McMullen, Proper would be regular participants in this event and would be challenging for Global qualification. There are plenty of flaws with the leagues no doubt but it's one of the few events that actually promotes a club community atmosphere and and team spirit and most people who compete in it (and to be fair its the same faces year in and year out for the most part) appreciate that

I don't know, if a big club like Leevale, who have qualified in premier division of men's and women's, are pulling out of both, that to me highlights problems.

Congrats on Walk club record btw. Possible 10000m run/10000m walk double at nationals next year? :)

I don't know, if a big club like Leevale, who have qualified in premier division of men's and women's, are pulling out of both, that to me highlights problems.

Could just be a symptom of a bad year for what ever reason (the failed to field full teams for men and women in round 2 despite being in Templemore and not huge numbers at National Seniors from the club looking through results pages)
    Congrats on Walk club record btw. Possible 10000m run/10000m walk double at nationals next year? :)

Haha not a hope in hell man would hold up the whole programe by an hour I reckon judging by my pace yesterda (just about broke 7 min km pace haha)

Mon 16 easy (7.47 min/m)
    Tues 6.5 easy (8.10 min/m)
    Wed AM 5 easy (7.54 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.55 min/m)
    Thurs 7.8 miles easy (7.33 min/m)
    Fri AM 3 mile shakeout (8.39 min/m) PM 1 mile, 4x400, 1 mile,
    4x400, 1 mile

Splits: 5.36, 77, 79, 78, 79, 5.34, 78, 79, 82, 82, 5.34

Sat 4 easy (7.50 min/m)
    Sun OFF

Total Weekly Mileage: 58 miles

Week started off with a painful long run. Was supposed to be longer but after the walk and race the day before the legs didn't have any more in them.

A chat with the coach then mid week and the decision finally made official that I am out of Berlin. This was not a running related decision as the race at the weekend had confidence restored a little. While I am under no illusions that I would have been close to my original target of sub 2.35 given where I was I did feel I would have been able to revise the PB and get under the 2.40 on the day if nothing went wrong.

In the mean time marathon is off the cards for the forseeable future and need to sit down and come up with some plans (probably XC) but plans will be fairly flexible and up in the air for a while anyway.

Session on Friday and the mile reps were sluggish body just couldn't wake up on the longer reps might just have been the first time on roads in a while for this type of session. Effort was there though and solid with short recoveries (1/2 mins)

Time for an update

After nailing the marathon on they had I had a holiday booked so a few runs without the watch (nothing too much of note with a good bit of travel) before arrived in Santorini

Monday 4 easy (7.32 min/m)
    Tuesday 5 easy (8.05 min/m)
    Wednesday Fartlek
    Thursday 2.5 hilly
    Friday 2.8 hilly
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday OFF

Total Mileage : 19.5 + 1 strava CR ;)

just a bit of craic without anything too strenous as I was on a major bit of R and R which is badly needed at the moment with myself and herself, enough to keep me ticking over

Mon Am 4.3 easy (7.50 min/m) PM 6.2 (7.50 min/m)
    Tuesday 9 easy (7.37 min/m)
    Wednesday AM (4×400m @10km ~1min rec), 3min rec, (1mile@MP), 3min rec, (3x400m @10km -1min rec), 3min rec, (2mile@MP), 3min rec,(3x400m @10km -1min rec), 3min rec, (1mile@HMP)

Splits: 77, 78, 78, 5.48, 77, 79, 77, 11.39 (5.50, 5.49), 77, 80, 79, 5.36

PM 5 recovery (8.49 min/m)

Thursday 4 easy (8.30)
    Friday OFF
    Saturday OFF
    Sun AM 3 shakeout (8.32 min/m) PM 10x600 (75 sec) XC

Splits: 1.59, 1.55, 1.59, 1.55, 1.58, 1.57, 2.02, 1.59, 2.03, 1.58

Total Weekly Mileage: 53.2 miles

Good start to the week and a solid run with Dublin Runner on Wednesday saw me back in the swing of things and really knuckling down however I got bad news Wednesday evening following my run with Duanington about the Grandfather who sadly passed, a big influence on my life in a number of aspects.

Got back to Dublin Saturday evening however missed planned session so I figured I would just get a long run done Sunday morning however I was on about 5 hours sleep since Thursday so woke up with a tickle in the throat and that sledge hammer feeling so bailed on the lads, felt better as the day went on though and decided to kick on with getting first XC session done.

A bit on the dark side but I was able to get it done after work and cleared the head, I think the irregular hour runs and sessions are well and truly back for the next while as I will have to focus on fitting things in for the forseeable future and be smart with my time

Mon 4 miles easy (7.58 min/m)
    Tues AM 14 Easy (7.16 min/m) PM 3 easy (8.45 min/m)
    Wed AM 9 easy (8.07 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.51 min/m)
    Thurs AM 3 easy (7.47 min/m) PM 5.5 easy (7.54 min/m)
    Friday 16x300 XC ***
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday Rathfarnham 5k -16.51
    Splits 3.11, 3.25, 3.31, 3.28, 3.13

Total weekly mileage: 51.7 miles

Not the greatest of week. A long week last week took its toll and ended up picking up a bit of a bug, nothing debilitating but enough to have me bail on session on Friday after 2 300s which should have been fairly controlled. Knew myself that i was doing more harm than good by doing it.

Rathfarnham 5k
    Rathfarnham was the first race in a while. Warming up I know I was sweating a bit too much and still wasn't 100% but sure you rarely are gonna be perfect on race day so figured I would get more out of it than trying to labour through a session especially given the course goes by my door.

A quick catch up with BeepBeep67 on the line who eventually managed to get out of Donabate from the previous day and we were off. Took it very handy the 1st km yet despite that the pace was still quite quick. Came through the 1st mile at 5.14, a shade shy of PB pace but given the downhill I knew was to be expected and wouldn't last. Ended up side by side with Ciara D who was lead woman so figured I would try and help share the workload with her to try and drag each other on.

2k in and I settled into a controlled pace, won't lie there was just no fight in my and was stuck in second gear. Came through 3k just under 10 min which would have set me up for where I thought I was (had 16.40 in my head going in) but when we came to the downhill where I thought I should have an extra gear I wasn't gaining on people as much as I felt I should have. Despite what I thought was a controlled pace I still didn't have much of a reserve of energy.

Started winding up but it was quite lack lustred. Spotted a Bro Pearse Singlet just ahead, just what I needed for a bit of extra motivation :P and kicked on finished solidly and pipped him on the line but far from my kick at the leagues just over a month ago.

All in all it was a decent blowout, was never gonna set the world alight but will stand to me despite being slowest 5k of the year.

Mon OFF
    Tues OFF
    Wed AM 4.5 easy (8.29 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.56 min/m)
    Thurs 16x400 (100m/40 sec recovery)
    Splits: 76, 77, 76, 77, 76, 77, 76, 77, 77, 77, 77, 77, 78, 79, 78, 75
    Friday5 easy (7.54 min/m)
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday Dublin Novice Cross Country (34th)

Total Weekly Mileage 34.5

Another sub par week with glimmers papering over the cracks. Decent session with Dublin Runner during the week. Felt quite controlled and form was good. Focused alot on running relaxed. Tired a little in last few which just shows that fitness has taken a hit with everything going on over the last few weeks but all in all a decent session.

Dublin Novice
    Back to the grass for the winter with me with the 1st stop the hallowed Munich hills of PP. Bit of a lonely one this one as I was sole representative from the club in the senior races (did try ask Sacksian for a few of there spares as they had brought 17 for the mens team so werent messing around)

Bit of catch up with Wottle as well (been far too long) and Marthastew. Plan was simple. Conservative start and shelter in what I thought was a fairly stiff win on the back half of the course and try make up places with wind on my back each lap.

Executed my plan fairly well in first lap and felt I was controlled sitting in the 30s/40s and coming to the end of the first lap I had managed to move up past a group of about 5 or 6. Settled in again. A bit like last week and I felt that I was controlled but at same time didn't feel like I could use any of the conserved energy. 2nd lap past and a few more scalps however was not making as much ground as I would have liked. Sacksian passed me at this stage to and was focusing on trying to keep him in sight.

3rd lap and managed to past only one lad and knew that I was gonna have to really dig in to start moving up. sadly pace was slowing. Came around to the home straight and tried to up the pace as I was within touching distance of a Crusaders singlet. I made a small move move to go past him, not enough as he responded. bit of a stitch at this stage so knew I didn't have it in me to sustain a kick for 600m. Tried again at 400m, again he was having none of it and had a bit of strength left in the legs. Only way I was going to go past him was to go hard and make a decisive move in the hope to scare him into not going with me. 200m and I put everything I had into (which granted was not alot!) he matched it and I gave up). Some days you have it and some days you don't

Cross the line probably a few positions down on last year. Not where I want to be at the moment but its the reality of where I am. Things should hopefully settled down now and I can start to build into the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

I had to laugh at your Novice race report - for I was that Crusader singlet! Thanks for keeping me honest at the end. You would have gone past me but for my missus screaming at me “watch your back!” in the finishing straight. She took a good video of it actually. PM your number and will happily send it on. It is interesting to note that we also did pretty much exactly the same time in the Rathfarnham 5K. I felt after yesterday’s race that it had gone quite badly and I had underperformed compared to the previous week. But then I see that I placed pretty much the same compared to my peers in the 5K, yourself included.

That is the nature of XC though, and a club championship race in particular. It feels so tough (from so early on) that you think you are not doing great – but everyone else is feeling the exact same!

MacAttackJ wrote: »

I had to laugh at your Novice race report - for I was that Crusader singlet! Thanks for keeping me honest at the end. You would have gone past me but for my missus screaming at me “watch your back!” in the finishing straight. She took a good video of it actually. PM your number and will happily send it on. It is interesting to note that we also did pretty much exactly the same time in the Rathfarnham 5K. I felt after yesterday’s race that it had gone quite badly and I had underperformed compared to the previous week. But then I see that I placed pretty much the same compared to my peers in the 5K, yourself included.

That is the nature of XC though, and a club championship race in particular. It feels so tough (from so early on) that you think you are not doing great – but everyone else is feeling the exact same!

Ha good thing I had nothing bad to say :P (Second time that has happened in the log where the runner was also a poster)

Fair play man you were strong, better man won out on the day for sure. I think with conditions the way there were most people felt poor yesterday. The great thing about XC, no where to hid and not a care for times only busting a$$ to beat random strangers haha.

I am sure I will see you in a few of the championships over the winter

Well done again man

The first non curveball week in a long time between one thing and another and the end of excuses hopefully

Mon AM 3 mile shakeout (8.35 min/m) PM 14 easy (7.30 min/m)
    Tues AM 4 easy (8.19 min/m) PM 6.5 easy (7.28 min/m)
    Wed AM 4.5 easy (7.45 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.51 min/m)

Thursday 4x2km hilly XC - 2 min rec
    Splits: 7.05, 7.05, 7.13, 7.10

Friday 9.7 easy (7.38 min/m)
    Sat AM 7 easy (7.10 min/m) PM4.1 easy (7.23 min/m)

Sun 8x600 hilly XC (75 sec rec)
    Splits: 2.14, 2.11, 2.13, 2.16, 2.13, 2.17, 2.19, 2.18

Total Weekly Mileage: 83.4 miles

Embracing the Cross this week. 1st session was down in tymon, coach wanted an honest course so I figured one of my tougher loops in the park would provide perfect location as plenty of up and downhill. Last time I was on this course (albeit a bit wetter) I was busting my ass to break 6s for mile reps so I was happy with the effort on this one.

Friday was a perfect example of keeping your easy days easy as was running with a 2.15 marathon runner who has no problem in running outside 7.30s on his easy days. The only downside to this was he decided to show men the scene of my next torture for Sunday

8x600 is a session on paper I would usually welcome as a nice one, not the case for this one as the loop picked in Phoenix park. 1st 300m was a climb up from the carpark of the Kyber. A sharp turn at the top and over the rolling hills of the Munich loop and around by the perimeter of the Magazine fort. Up there with the sick pain of the Corkscrews. Didn't hang around on the recoveries as the light was fading and I didn't want the parked up cars (who were obviously there getting ready for star gazing :rolleyes:) offering me an invite :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The first non curveball week in a long time between one thing and another and the end of excuses hopefully

Mon AM 3 mile shakeout (8.35 min/m) PM 14 easy (7.30 min/m)
    Tues AM 4 easy (8.19 min/m) PM 6.5 easy (7.28 min/m)
    Wed AM 4.5 easy (7.45 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.51 min/m)

Thursday 4x2km hilly XC - 2 min rec
    Splits: 7.05, 7.05, 7.13, 7.10

Friday 9.7 easy (7.38 min/m)
    Sat AM 7 easy (7.10 min/m) PM4.1 easy (7.23 min/m)

Sun 8x600 hilly XC (75 sec rec)
    Splits: 2.14, 2.11, 2.13, 2.16, 2.13, 2.17, 2.19, 2.18

Total Weekly Mileage: 83.4 miles

Embracing the Cross this week. 1st session was down in tymon, coach wanted an honest course so I figured one of my tougher loops in the park would provide perfect location as plenty of up and downhill. Last time I was on this course (albeit a bit wetter) I was busting my ass to break 6s for mile reps so I was happy with the effort on this one.

Friday was a perfect example of keeping your easy days easy as was running with a 2.15 marathon runner who has no problem in running outside 7.30s on his easy days. The only downside to this was he decided to show men the scene of my next torture for Sunday

8x600 is a session on paper I would usually welcome as a nice one, not the case for this one as the loop picked in Phoenix park. 1st 300m was a climb up from the carpark of the Kyber. A sharp turn at the top and over the rolling hills of the Munich loop and around by the perimeter of the Magazine fort. Up there with the sick pain of the Corkscrews. Didn't hang around on the recoveries as the light was fading and I didn't want the parked up cars (who were obviously there getting ready for star gazing :rolleyes:) offering me an invite :P

I'm really liking the sessions that M has you & DR doing.

Do you know if his love of hills is a year long thing or just at certain phases??

Advertisement