Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

I'm really liking the sessions that M has you & DR doing.

Do you know if his love of hills is a year long thing or just at certain phases??

So far since I have worked with him we did have one mini block where hills were a weekly thing (200m reps) since then though I haven't strayed too far from any element of training and even now in the depths of cross country there will be the odd track session just to keep a bit of turnover in the legs.

Mon AM 12 hilly (7.52 min/m) PM 3 shakeout (8.37 min/m)
    Tues AM 8 easy (7.21 min/m) PM 4 easy (8.08 min/m)

Wed AM 5 easy (7.53 min/m)
    PM 12x400m XC (1 min rec)
    Splits: 73,74,76,75,74,77,77,77,76,77,80,74

Thurs AM 5 easy (7.41 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.25 min/m)
    Fri AM 3 easy (7.54 min/m) PM 3 easy (7.27 min/m)

Sat OFF
    Sun 15 steady (6.51 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 65.7 miles

Planned to race this week so coach just wanted me to do something a bit faster however I couldn't manage to find time to hit track so found a solid flat field on way home from work. Lighting was okay on one half of the field though quite poor on other side but managed as best I could. A near slip on rep six had the back stiffen up a bit but bar that went pretty well.

Misses surprised me with tickets to the Rugby on Saturday which through a spanner in the works for the BHAA race but got out for an honest 15 the next day (which my garmin seemed to swallow up after I finished as I couldn't find it after hitting the save button so possibly discarded) a little slower than I have been the last while which probably shows the fitness still not quite where I want it to be but continue to keep tipping along

Mon 4.1 easy (8.01 min/mile)
    Tues AM 4 easy (7.56 min/mile) PM 5 steady (6.55 min/m)
    Wed AM 5 easy (8.12 min/m)
    PM 10 x 2 min on / 1 min off

Thurs 7.1 easy (8.08 min/mile)
    Fri AM 5.3 easy (7.50 min/m) PM 9 easy (7.59 min/m)

Sat 8x600m hill XC (75)
    Splits: 2.19, 2.19, 2.22, 2.28, 2.28, 2.25, 2.25, 2.29

PM 3 recovery (8.40 min/m)
    Sun AM 5 easy (8.01 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.48 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 73.2 min/m

Struggling to get out Monday morning and kept putting it off as late as I could but thankfully got out for a bit of a jaunt before Ophelia kicked in.

Wednesday than I was back on the grass for a good solid effort. Definitely enjoying the grass work at the moment, hips and legs really being worked and I can feel the overall strength it's building as well as the fitness getting back to where I want it to be. HR was kept high for the full 30 min and was working hard by the end.

Thursday was a change in location as I ventured over the North side for a few miles with TbL around Santry keeping things nice and handy as we caught up (these days you have a better chance of meeting him for a run around Nicaragua or some other exotic location than you do around the territories of the Pale. Miles tipped by handy enough.

As if Ophelia wasn't enough for the week that was in it, Brian popped his head up to say hello, this was coupled with one of the nastier sessions in coaches repertoire. The heavy rain had underfooting made though and the wind knocking the stuffing out of me up the 300m hill at the start of these reps had this one as a ball buster. Times were about 10-15 seconds slower than last week despite actually probably running this one better than last time. Legs were shot with the jog into work as I really laboured through this one.

Another solid week under the belt and feel like I am adding a good bit of power to the legs that will stand to me in the spring when I hit the roads again. In the mean time just have to contend with a few Dublin Cross Country championships :D

Mon 14.5 easy (7.38 min/m)
    Tues 4.2 easy (7.56 min/m)
    Wed AM 5x1km, 3x500m (90 sec)

Splits: 3.18, 3.19, 3.22, 3.24, 3.29, 1.38, 1.35, 1.36

PM 3.5 easy (7.07 min pace)

Thurs AM 9 easy (7.36 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.58 min/m)
    Fri AM 9 easy (7.43 min/m) PM 4 easy (8.11 min/m)
    Sat AM 14x200m hills (90)
    Splits: 44, 43, 45, 44, 43, 44, 43, 43, 45, 46, 43, 45, 43, 41

PM 4.1 rec (8.29 min/m)
    Sun AM 7 easy (7.56 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.40 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage 82.2 miles

Week by week its getting better, mileage this week grew without forcing it despite a manic 3 days with treatments in build up to DCM.

Session on Wednesday was a flat grass one for a bit of turnover work. splits were very good despite being on grass (put it down to new XC spikes :P) though kinda blew up the last rep though main thing was good hard fast efforts and try hold it together as best possible so job done. The 500s were just about turnover on tired legs so mission accomplished there.

Saturdays session I was a bit apprehensive about as had family take me out to congratulate on the news of our the newest Tallaght AC athlete in the making :p. Eased into the session yet despite not feeling 100% before session and even during effort was a bit lacking this was still best session I have managed for this hill pace wise even if effort was a bit lacking (sign of progress hopefully)

A few more weeks like that and hopefully have a very solid winter base under me to kick on from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Saturdays session I was a bit apprehensive about as had family take me out to congratulate on the news of our the newest Tallaght AC athlete in the making :p. Eased into the session yet despite not feeling 100% before session and even during effort was a bit lacking this was still best session I have managed for this hill pace wise even if effort was a bit lacking (sign of progress hopefully)

A few more weeks like that and hopefully have a very solid winter base under me to kick on from.

Enjoy the training while it lasts :-) and congrats to both of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Congratulations!

Wottle wrote: »
    Enjoy the training while it lasts :-) and congrats to both of you.

No excuses ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Wicked news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Congrats Luke, exciting times ahead for you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great news, see you for a run in 18 years! :)

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Great news, see you for a run in 18 years! :)

Not a fear you will see me the next few weekends if you fancy a few 10k XC races, I may not see a bed within that time frame however (haha who needs sleep anyway :p)

paddybarry wrote: »
    Congrats Luke, exciting times ahead for you both.

Cheers B, hope all is well with you, must catch you for a run some time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Big congratulations to you both - exciting times ! Nice link there - looking forward to reading the rest of it later. Will be interesting to have your feedback in a year but I suspect you'll fit everything in just fine 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Congrats! Timing probably suits an autumn marathon plan ;)

Singer wrote: »
    Congrats! Timing probably suits an autumn marathon plan ;)

Haha for next year I think a local one might be on the cards depending on how I get through sleep deprivation ;), Was what put a scupper to Berlin this year though so only fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

:pac: classic!

Congrats man!

El Caballo wrote: »
    :pac: classic!

Congrats man!

I was nearly lynched for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

OMG!! Congrats to you both, that's fantastic news!! There's gonna be a new whippersnapper in town :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congratulations on the super news. Delighted for you both.

Love the link to the "No excuses" post:D:D: Life is just going to go to a whole new, wonderful level. Enjoy every minute as time flies.

Mon AM 9 easy (7.31m min/m) PM 4.1 easy (7.55 min/m)
    Tues AM 5 easy (7.59 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.58 min/m)
    Wed AM 2.8 shakeout (8.05 min/m)
    PM 8x3 min XC (2 min with 1 min between last 2)

Splits 5.47, 5.36, 5.25, 5.29, 5.37, 5.54, 5.44, 5.34

Thurs AM 4 easy (8.12 min/m) PM 7 easy (8.06 min/m)
    Friday 4 easy (8.06 min/m)
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday AM 2.5 mile shakeout (9.39 min/m)

PM Dublin Seniors XC - 52nd - 35.20
    Splits: 5.35, 5.48, 5.56, 5.58, 5.57, 5.44

Total Weekly Mileage 67.5 miles

Another week down. Coming off a string of late shifts the body was feeling a little sluggish early in the week. Tuesday in particular I was feeling worse for where in the morning so I decided to make it a bit more favourable double which worked a treat as I was feeling better in the evening after work (didn't hurt that I managed to duck out early to claim back some extra hours worked off late)

Wednesday's session had to be done in the evening so I was expecting another dark session on the grass but thankfully few evening matches were still in play by the time I got out so was well lit for training. Forgot the spikes so i was just in normal runners but thankfully surface was quite firm so didn't affect it too much. Splits were bit all over the place but that's normal on this loop (always slow on same points which ironically is the downhill part of the lap) Made one error in that I was supposed to do 2 reps with 1 min recovery but when setting up repeats on the garmin I accidently included one of these as the recovery after the last rep only spotted after the session but still happy with effort as had followed trend of fitness getting better with every session as of late.

Sunday's race and not the best prep (not greatest of sleep and and had to be in work for 7am to do a few hours before off to the race.

Got out there and chat with coach and a few others and small warm up and was off. 1st lap went off very conservative (so I thought) Looking at splits of my last few XC races I slowed significantly so i was hoping to try hold on a bit better. 1st mile was about as fast as I ran the opening mile of Novices (6k) so I was a little weary though felt very controlled. From here the field settled and I started moving up one by one.

This race had alot of laps (1x1000m + 6x1500m) so lap by lap i was picking off one or two, getting into a position where I was seeing familiar faces who have been a good bit ahead in recent races but in around where I know I should be when in good form. As long as I could hold it I knew that I would be running well. managed to catch a lad from Rathfarnham who usually is a good bit ahead (was nearly 2 min ahead in my car crash that was National Seniors track) but he seemed to be labouring a bit. Tried sitting on him for a half lap and kicking on. Guy was as strong as an ox though and kept coming back and we managed to reel in a few. Coming into the last lap got to give the coach some words of advise (as he lapped me :P) and there were a few lads for the taking. Two rathfarnham, A liffey Valley and a Donore. I knew that the Rathfarnham lads would have the bit between there teeth as they had the team element (sadly only 2 from the club for us) but kept driving to keep up with them I was running as hard as I could without redlining. Coming off the last bend and I kicked like a Demon, been a while since I had that left in the tank.

All in all very happy with the run. First ever Cross Country Race where all miles were sub 6 at any distance so certainly bodes well. Another months work and I will hopefully be in good nick to really give Intermediates a good go (top 10 would be the target though all depends on what field turns up)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

If I knew how to do a fancy link...I'd link the running buggy thread :D

That's lovely news. Congratulations to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

had family take me out to congratulate on the news of our the newest Tallaght AC athlete in the making :p.

Wow - missed this! I thought all the congrats was for you and your coach in the XC last week :P

Congrats big time to you both!

Mon 14.5 miles easy (7.36 min/m)
    Tues AM 9 easy (8.01 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.45 min/m)
    Wednesday 5x5 min XC (2 min)
    Thurs AM 9 easy (7.48 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.27 min/m)
    Fri AM 5 easy (7.54 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.44 min/m)
    Sat AM 12x200m hills (90 rec) PM 4 easy (8.26 min/m)
    Sun AM 9 easy (7.53 min/m) PM 4 easy (TBC)

Total Weekly Mileage: 91 miles

The first time over 90 this year and to be honest probably best +80 mile week ever. How you run mileage can be as important as the mileage itself at times and this week was a tough week and left me overall tired but a good tired and the body having to work even on the easy days without working too hard.

Started off the week heavy legged after the race on Sunday but not sore so just ran by feel and got a good few hills in.

Wednesday saw the return of a bit of company for sessions with DR back after his marathon exploits and ready to get back to work. The plan was simple 5x5 min XC so I decided the Munich loop would be perfect for a bit of honest work. Made a balls of the watch for the first two but we managed to get by anyway and the effort was there. There was a good balance between the two of us with me leading off navigating the hills where I have grown quite strong over the last few months. This was leveled as we hit the flat and A's marathon rhythm strength kicked in and he dragged me along not letting me slack in the latter stages. Was good to have someone that I was working hard just to stay with.

Got a bit of midweek motivation in the form of the revised Armagh 5k standards. I am currently 15 seconds shy of getting in for next year so after Cross I am gonna have to give trying to qualify a lash. Definitely think that there should be a few more races willing to push the standards and risk there pockets to try and motitivate people to reach new heights in there performance.

Coach was nice and shortened the usually number of hills reps for Saturday. Between this and the added benefit of having company for them really stepped up my game and showed in the paces somewhat with them being a bit faster than usual.

I would be lying if I said the body wasn't heavy but I wanna try keep this up for a few more days and hopefully put in another solid week before going into a bit of a block of racing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Mon 14.5 miles easy (7.36 min/m)

Got a bit of midweek motivation in the form of the revised Armagh 5k standards. I am currently 15 seconds shy of getting in for next year so after Cross I am gonna have to give trying to qualify a lash. Definitely think that there should be a few more races willing to push the standards and risk there pockets to try and motitivate people to reach new heights in there performance.

Coach was nice and shortened the usually number of hills reps for Saturday. Between this and the added benefit of having company for them really stepped up my game and showed in the paces somewhat with them being a bit faster than usual.

I would be lying if I said the body wasn't heavy but I wanna try keep this up for a few more days and hopefully put in another solid week before going into a bit of a block of racing again.

That was a very high standard even before they changed it :eek: Will you make up the difference in Jingle Bells, or does that clash with XC? Alternatively Clonliffe Christmas Cracker on New Year's Eve or the Tom Brennan on New Year's Day perhaps.

That was a very high standard even before they changed it :eek: Will you make up the difference in Jingle Bells, or does that clash with XC? Alternatively Clonliffe Christmas Cracker on New Year's Eve or the Tom Brennan on New Year's Day perhaps.

Unfortunately Jingle bells clashes with Intermediates which was the aim for the cross country season so not gonna forgo that and keep the main thing the main thing.

Have been looking at a few races but it's looking like Clonliffe will be the one I will be putting all my eggs in one basket going after. If it doesn't pan out I won't be too worried but will be a make or break one so won't be conservative thats for sure (could be quite unpleasant if it doesn't pan out and I blow up spectacularly)

Mon AM 5 easy (7.53 min/m) PM 5 moderate (6.42 min/m)
    Tues AM 5 easy (7.51 min/m) PM 9 easy (7.24 min/m)
    Wed AM 4x2km XC (2 min) PM 4 easy (8.17 min/m)

Splits 8.23*, 7.28, 7.20, 7.34

Thurs AM 2.5 shakeout (9.08 min/m) PM 10 easy (7.55 min/m)
    Fri 5.2 moderate (6.43 min/m)
    Sat 3.3 easy (7.27 min/m)
    Sun 3.5 easy (7.26 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage 61.9 miles

This week the aim was to try and keep the momentum going from last and keep the volume high up till the second half of the week. There were a few time poor days however so a few steadier than easy days were thrown in (got away with them due to runs being shorter than normal)

Wednesday's session meet up again with Dublin runner to make our semi weekly offering to the old (school) running goods. Both of us fairly heavy legged but we going.1st rep for the second week in a row I had made a balls of the garmin workout set up (this time double pressing lap button at the end of the warm up) so the first one was a little longer than planned. Tipped away with it feeling somewhat aerobically comfortable but the legs not able to go any faster but still job done and finished a session I had a bit of apprehension about 110 miles in the legs the last 10 days.

Thursday was a slog eeked out every possible mile I had in the tired legs but was getting no further.

Friday was a short one as I had hospital appointments in the morning and flight in the afternoon. I was resigned to not getting out here but a small window of opportunity made itself apparent and disappeared out the door quicker than a fart in the wind.

The weekend was planned down time and the main reason why I was trying to front load the week somewhat with a wintery weekend in Copenhagen with herself. Perfect R and R before going into a race block and a nice way to recharge the batteries. Got out for small runs just to keep the legs ticking over each morning and get the lie of the land, despite the cold and somewhat wet weather the city itself if fabulous and stumbled upon a great little local running route along the Star military fort up by the little mermaid statue which made these runs tip by nicely.

Back to reality now however and the little thing of the All Ireland Cross Country championships to contend with this weekend coming as a tune up (or absolute slog and test of mental fortitude depending on how you look at it) to get ready for the big one for me this Winter, Dublin Intermediates.

Back to reality now however and the little thing of the All Ireland Cross Country championships to contend with this weekend coming as a tune up (or absolute slog and test of mental fortitude depending on how you look at it) to get ready for the big one for me this Winter, Dublin Intermediates.

Is that on Sunday afternoon in Abbotstown? Might pop up as I still have to deliver that package to you ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Is that on Sunday afternoon in Abbotstown? Might pop up as I still have to deliver that package to you ;).

Thought you'd have it well drank..........

Thats the one indeed, whoops completely spaced on that (could well be the first of the crew for the glue factory :P)
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Thought you'd have it well drank..........

To be fair to A she brought it up a few weeks back so she has had plenty of time to source a replacement :P (A huge thank you BTW)

• Advertisement

Thats the one indeed, whoops completely spaced on that (could well be the first of the crew for the glue factory :P)

To be fair to A she brought it up a few weeks back so she has had plenty of time to source a replacement :P (A huge thank you BTW)

Oi! the pair of ye - I'm a model of virtue I'll have yiz know :D. Grand will definitely make it up so and try and catch you pre prace - timetable says yours is at 2.25 - might even stay and cheer you on :p.

Advertisement