Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

At first had my reasons for the anonymity but after a while and the injury I needed the log for focus and rather than make a big deal out of being back I would just quietly blend back into the scenery.

Was nice as well to be judged just on the words I typed rather than my history here. This place needs a new lease of life every once in a while so its nice for the old guard to take a step back and let others find there voice.

Well, now that you are formally 'out', welcome back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

PaulieC wrote: »
    sharp...very sharp

He was still quicker than me (although I wasn't following the log). I only just copped following the link on the novices thread. I should have spotted the writing style a mile off!

Anyway, good to have you back! Good to see that you're back running too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Welcome back - Only figuring it out now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Jesus lads you are all very slow :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

menoscemo wrote: »
    Jesus lads you are all very slow :pac:

in fairness I didn't log on for ages.................and I didn't like the cut of him initially....all knowledgeable and stuff.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Thursday 6 miles easy (144 bpm/ 9.04 min pace) + drills

Friday AM 5 miles easy (141 bpm/ 8.00 min pace)
    Friday PM 6 miles easy (143 bpm/ 7.44 min pace)

Saturday AM
    7 miles with last mile at LT (141/172 bpm - 8.13/5.54 min pace)

The long patient road continues. The second half of this week has seen a significant progression. Glad to see the easy runs starting to return to the sub 8 minute pace as well as sub 6 LT mile which was a huge surprise. The difference a week makes I suppose. A few more weeks till I start with proper sessions but if early indications are anything to go by I should be fairly strong by the tune that I get to that stage.

Hey Myles. Glad things are going well. I was just wondering: if an LT run gets your HR up to 172, what's your max bpm? I only asked because mine is around 172/3, and LT doesn't involve max bpm, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

davedanon wrote: »
    Hey Myles. Glad things are going well. I was just wondering: if an LT run gets your HR up to 172, what's your max bpm? I only asked because mine is around 172/3, and LT doesn't involve max bpm, does it?

Max HR was tested at 196 (simple hill test) which provided a basis when I started back running to use a guideline. The idea was to get the LT testing done actually in the next 10 days (wanted to establish a bit of aerobic fitness to give more accurate assessment going into the XC season)

I am running off intensity levels based off HRR with the LT coming in at roughly 80-85% of HRR) this means I am aiming for roughly 171-174 bpm to be in the right intensity levels. I haven't done any testing yet so these are a general guideline used to make sure I am in or around the right effort levels.

Recovery - below 60%
    Easy - 60-70%
    Steady - 70-75%
    MP - 75-80%
    HM - 80-85%

There are always gonna be drawbacks but I am looking at this as a better barometer than pace for now as fitness builds quickly coming back from injury but also as over the winter the change in terrain and course profile make effort a better indicator than pace on effort levels and whether or not sessions go well.

Edit: remind me to drop down your HRM to club this week :0

Max HR was tested at 196 (simple hill test) which provided a basis when I started back running to use a guideline. The idea was to get the LT testing done actually in the next 10 days (wanted to establish a bit of aerobic fitness to give more accurate assessment going into the XC season)

I am running off intensity levels based off HRR with the LT coming in at roughly 80-85% of HRR) this means I am aiming for roughly 171-174 bpm to be in the right intensity levels. I haven't done any testing yet so these are a general guideline used to make sure I am in or around the right effort levels.

Recovery - below 60%
    Easy - 60-70%
    Steady - 70-75%
    MP - 75-80%
    HM - 80-85%

There are always gonna be drawbacks but I am looking at this as a better barometer than pace for now as fitness builds quickly coming back from injury but also as over the winter the change in terrain and course profile make effort a better indicator than pace on effort levels and whether or not sessions go well.

Edit: remind me to drop down your HRM to club this week :0

No hurry.

Wednesday AM 4.1 miles easy (141 bpm/7.58 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 6 miles easy (140 bpm/8.13 min pace)

Thursday 7 miles easy + 8*50m strides (143 bpm/8.12 min pace)

Friday AM 5.1 miles easy (144 bpm/8.42 min pace)
    Friday PM 4 miles easy (143 bpm/8.30 min pace)

Saturday OFF

Sunday 11 miles easy (143 bpm/8.40 min pace)

Unscheduled day off on Saturday however it's my first one in three weeks and made sure to not make a weekend of it so a handy one Sunday. HR started quite high which was to be expected after a few too many fizzy drinks the night before and a bad night sleep but leveled of and began to feel better as the run went on.

A decent week considering I missed a day and happy enough with how its going just keep patiently building the consistency

Week 4

Monday 5.7 miles easy (8.13 min mile pace)

Tuesday AM 5 miles easy (8.11 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 8 mile progression (ave. 7.37 min pace)

Splits

Wednesday AM 4 miles easy (8.12 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 13 miles easy (8.44 min pace)

Haven't abandoned the HR stuff simply the HRM battery died Tuesday (Monday just forgot the strap) so I have been running blind, surprisingly however the splits have been remarkably similar.

Based my progression off paces however aiming to go 15 sec quicker per mile finishing close to what I finished last progression run based off HR. Not ideal but the guts of a decent session were there. Looking back there were a couple of miles than I felt I was working a little too hard on for the effort I was supposed to be at but going by splits these seem to coincide with climbs and drags so I guess I am a bit better in tune with the body than previously.

Wednesday evening was enjoyable hilly one with Krusty, and the DCM mentor duo themselves;Clearlier (good to meet you again) and Dubgal. This run made me realize just how little hills I have in my weekly training as we ran up around Bray head. Whether it was just the company or the focus needed for some of the more technical aspects but this flew in.

Definitely think TBL is on to something with all these running rendezvous

• Advertisement

Thursday 7 miles easy (8.21 min pace)

Friday 5.2 miles easy (8.17 min pace)

Saturday AM 1.5 mile warm up, 5k tempo (5.59 min pace), 1.5 mile cooldown
    Saturday PM 3 miles easy (7.52 min pace)

Sunday OFF

Monday 5 miles easy (7.52 min pace)

Tuesday OFF

Wednesday 6 miles easy (8.06 min pace)
    Thursday 6 miles east (7.58 min pace)

Friday OFF

Saturday 6 miles easy (8.09 min pace)

Sunday 14.8 miles easy (7.50 min pace)

Time for an update. Headed off to Prague for a week last Saturday but with a midday flight decided to pop down to local park run and said I would throw in a few steady miles. When I got there I spotted one of the middle distance guys from the club who had won it the previous week and said he was looking to go under 18.30. While a little quicker than had planned I figured may as well and offered to pace him. Felt very controlled throughout this and felt I was never really getting out of my comfort zone. He began to tie up a little on the last mile and despite efforts to usher him on he fell short but still managed 18.34 on the watch so I was happy enough. Was being picked up for airport in 30 min so didn't have time to hang around. A handy 3 miles to cap the day off when landed in order to get the lay of the land and suss out running spots.

Prague itself is a beautiful city but as KC had already advised me not a great one for running to be honest, cobble stones and very few nearby places to get much quality done still enough to keep me thinking over on what had been planned as a down week anyway. Did come across a nice little park overlooking the whole city which was worth the sharp never ending hairpin inclines to actually access the park itself.

Maybe it is just the fact I am getting older but the gone are the days of debauchery on a lads holiday to the point where I came back for once with my fitness (and liver) in tact.

Long day in airport on the way back so just a handy one to loosen the legs and clear the head. Feeling that little bit of a chill in the air at just the right time starting into sessions again this week. All in all I feel strong so I am hoping the last five weeks did me the world of good in the long term.

Capped off the week with an early morning long run with the Doc tipping away nicely didn't even notice the fact I was missing the brekkie and (indeed a huge amount of food the previous day) and once parted ways threw in a few 7mm as I was rushing to get home.

A new week and a new chapter. This is where the fun begins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Time for an update. Headed off to Prague for a week last Saturday but with a midday flight decided to pop down to local park run and said I would throw in a few steady miles. When I got there I spotted one of the middle distance guys from the club who had won it the previous week and said he was looking to go under 18.30. While a little quicker than had planned I figured may as well and offered to pace him. Felt very controlled throughout this and felt I was never really getting out of my comfort zone. He began to tie up a little on the last mile and despite efforts to usher him on he fell short but still managed 18.34 on the watch so I was happy enough. Was being picked up for airport in 30 min so didn't have time to hang around. A handy 3 miles to cap the day off when landed in order to get the lay of the land and suss out running spots.

Typical of one of your pacing jobs ;):D

Typical of one of your pacing jobs ;):D

Short of stopping to carry him those 4 seconds weren't coming so he took the win at least with me screaming and shouting at him all the way to the line haha

Short of stopping to carry him those 4 seconds weren't coming so he took the win at least with me screaming and shouting at him all the way to the line haha

You should have pipped him on the line. Teach the young whippersnapper a lesson.

davedanon wrote: »
    You should have pipped him on the line. Teach the young whippersnapper a lesson.

Didn't have my barcode so rather let Tallaght colour sit a top Tymon lest our noisy neighbours forget ;)

Didn't have my barcode so rather let Tallaght colour sit a top Tymon lest our noisy neighbours forget ;)

Ah yes, you were Unknown in 2nd. Good idea.

Monday OFF

Tuesday 2 miles easy, 10*1 min hills w/2.30 rec, 2 miles easy + 4 miles easy

Last day off I plan to miss for quite some time. Was itching to go for this session as the base phase really got the bit between my teeth. Still not driving so I was in two minds on what hill to use. There was a really good one by work which is a killer though would mean 6-7 miles home after or a 5 mile warm up then the hills heading to Tymon. Opted for the 1st of the two given my first session back.

Up to deerpark with body feeling okay. First rep and felt strong, maybe the base phase did me the world of good, good knee drive, felt relaxed running fast. Recover was generous enough at this stage as focused on running relaxed and fast for turnover.

This was short lived however, after 4 I was sucking air, by rep 6 I was trying to keep my dinner down, by ten the legs were like jelly.

Finished up, back to work picked up my gear and a long slow jaunt back to the house. Was very happy with the session itself though I was zonked for remainder of the day (guess that shows the effort was there)

Back onto the ancillary work which have let slip over last 2 weeks so 20 minutes of conditioning exercises with resistance bands and shoulder rehab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Do you have a specific target Myles ?

Edit - apologies if I've missed it somewhere

Monday OFF

Tuesday 2 miles easy, 10*1 min hills w/2.30 rec, 2 miles easy + 4 miles easy

question on the hill work out - I've been doing something similar recently, but I'm getting hung up on the recovery - trying to keep it to the same time as the rep (2m jog down R for a 2min hill sprint) or at the most a 1:3 ratio (1:30 R for a 1min hill sprint)

What's your thoughts on recoveries for hill reps?

kit3 wrote: »
    Do you have a specific target Myles ?

Edit - apologies if I've missed it somewhere

Cross Country, Oct - Dec
    Roads, Jan - April
    Track, May - August

Ultimately aiming for a good 10,000 next Summer (Highgate night of 10,000m PBs and National Seniors) but will be racing 5km-HM on Roads. For XC will target The Dublin Championship races and National Novice most likely as season ender.

• Advertisement

question on the hill work out - I've been doing something similar recently, but I'm getting hung up on the recovery - trying to keep it to the same time as the rep (2m jog down R for a 2min hill sprint) or at the most a 1:3 ratio (1:30 R for a 1min hill sprint)

What's your thoughts on recoveries for hill reps?

This ones for me are leg strength and turnover so are akin to closer to 1 mile effort and as such aim to work towards double recovery (2 min) but the aim is to progress to this. These will be regular sessions and aim to increase to 12 and work off 2 min rec by the end. Later on I will be doing longer hills with equal recovery but these would serve a different purpose (more akin what is known more along the lines of a Vo2 max style workout)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Cross Country, Oct - Dec
    Roads, Jan - April
    Track, May - August

Ultimately aiming for a good 10,000 next Summer (Highgate night of 10,000m PBs and National Seniors) but will be racing 5km-HM on Roads. For XC will target The Dublin Championship races and National Novice most likely as season ender.

A bit late with this question but I was looking forward to see how it worked out for you. How did you find the indoor season over last winter set you up for the year? Is it something you saw benefit in and will you go down that road again in future?

A bit late with this question but I was looking forward to see how it worked out for you. How did you find the indoor season over last winter set you up for the year? Is it something you saw benefit in and will you go down that road again in future?

Think it definitely made a difference in terms of helping with my stride I am a bit more up on my feet and generating a bit more efficiency however if I am honest I just about got away with it as the mileage was low and I didn't fully do myself justice for a few reasons. I did however manage to break my longest PB over the summer (my 11 year old 5k pb) so it definitely helped

This year aim to work with what works best for me which is relying on my strength but year round turnover work as well as strides and hill sprints in the hope that I an bust out some faster shorter times later in the summer once the big track 10ks are out of the way (this year early on with Highgate and Nats being big two done by June)

Wednesday AM 4 miles easy (8.50 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 7 miles easy (8.32 min pace)

Thursday AM 5 miles easy (8.15 min pace)
    Thursday PM 7 miles easy (8.22 min pace)

Friday AM 2 mile warmup, 8x1 mile HM w/75 sec rec

Had to get this one done before work this morning so set a nice early alarm in plan to get up get food and let it digest in plenty of time. Alarm went and I rolled over so in the end I warily went and opted to do it on an empty stomach and hopefully it wouldn't come back to bite me in the ass.

Despite the session going well on Tuesday I didn't know where I stood for this one as with hills no matter how fit you are they are gonna hurt but this one would be the litmus test for where I was. Ideally had hoped for 5.50-6.00 to be in the right ball park effort but truthfully I was telling myself 6.00-6.10 would be a decent result.

Into tymon on a decent little loop around the lake that is just over a mile so was perfect. First few rattled on and I was feeling nice and controlled. This boded well as last time I did this sort of session though the splits were similar I was not being honest with myself about effort and was busting a gut. This time it was bang on for effort. Wind started to pick up about half way and this coupled with the legs starting to tire the splits dropped a little and was harder to keep to 6 min pace.

Got to the last one and I let the guard down as I knew I could get through it. Half way through however stomach started to groan, the empty stomach was rearing its head, some awkward body contortions as I started dry wretching but I was just about holding pace and was just about going to get through it. 100m to go in the rep however and the body had dug deep to a place I kinda hoping it wouldn't find and was forced to stop and ruin the post school drop off walking mammy's pleasant strolls around the park.

Stuck for time I was straight home and showered and a few min on spin bike to cool down.

All in all though very happy with how session went all things considered. In previous years trying to get a session done straight out of bed like that would have been a struggle but twice in last week have managed it so hopefully that will make time management a little easier throughout the year.

Splits 5.55, 5.54, 5.58, 5.59, 6.00, 6.04, 6.06, 5.43(6.07 pace)

Friday PM 5 miles easy (8.37 min pace)

Saturday AM 7 miles easy (8.21 min pace) + 6x20 sec strides
    Saturday PM 40 min spin

Sunday 11 miles steady (6.42 min pace)

Solidly capped off the week. Had to transport bike from work over the the brothers house so opted to drop my evening run Saturday for a quick spin home to loosen out the legs and a bit of hip mobility work.

Early start Sunday with a 45 min spin over before tucked into the session. Had hoped to feel comfortable in the 6.50-7 range but a favorable point to point course made it even handy so I was cruising along in 6.40 without it feeling too difficult.

Had hoped to do 12-13 however time constraints meant had to leave it at 11 for today still quite happy with the session and now a few handy days before I tuck into a few grass sessions this week.

for your easy runs, I've noticed they are all 8+ min/miles - is this due to traffic & the route as I'm quite sure every calculator would have your easy pace at well below 8.

for your easy runs, I've noticed they are all 8+ min/miles - is this due to traffic & the route as I'm quite sure every calculator would have your easy pace at well below 8.

Spent a couple of weeks running off HR during base phase and got feel for the pace and effort. Since then I have not looked at the watch and just ran off a similar feel.

So far I find it seems to be helping with consistency as I can run at that pace even on the days when I am not 100% something in the past I just made adjustments to the week so it has helped with consistency and the hope is that continues over the coming weeks and months. It is still 60-70% of HRR so in terms of getting the aerobic benefits they are still there.

Monday AM 6 miles easy (8.22 min mile pace)
    Monday PM 7 miles easy (8.20 min mile pace)

Tuesday AM 5 miles easy (8.13 min mile pace)
    Tuesday PM 7 miles easy (8.13 min mile pace)

Wednesday 2 miles easy, 6x1200m w/ 2.30 rec, 1 mile easy

Last few days were just tipping away getting the miles in. Cumulative fatigue starting to set in and was feeling pretty sluggish but seemed to be improving every run thankfully.

1st session on grass of the season this morning. I was quite apprehensive about this session.

Though I was back on sessions since last week, this one was gonna be the first proper test. The hills early last week were short enough and hard enough that was never gonna feel great on even when fit, but they are short so I can deal with it. The Cruise intervals are usually my strength and they are all about getting into a rhythm so they are never too bad. This one however was long enough and fast enough to really hurt so I just wanted to get through it and not pull the plug by overcooking it.

1st rep I eased into it and not feeling too bad. A little slower than last time I did these reps however looking back I probably pushed to the well on these the last few times. On the bright note it was quicker than my last one last year with TRR when I only managed 4 and the wheels came off.

Next one again and I was feeling nice and controlled. The next two and I was paying a bit more attention in the mid section and making back a bit of time here and pace started to drop.Half way and I had broken the sessions back.

I must have got complacent on the 5th as looked at the watch at the 800m mark and was notably slower but picked it up and kept the rep split consistent. 1 more and I knew I was working but the session felt within me so was delighted with it. Finished the last one a little quicker but by no means all out.

Very happy to manage that as it is the highest number of reps I have ever managed on that loop with that recovery and overall the splits were pretty much in line with what I have done previously.

Splits 4.15, 4.15, 4.11, 4.12, 4.11, 4.08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Jaysus - pennys dropped. (157 posts later.....even the arm in a sling didn't click with me)

Took me another month and a reference to "childer jokes" on another thread. :o
    Obviously been offline a lot myself, said he quickly trying to cover his tracks.

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    Took me another month and a reference to "childer jokes" on another thread. :o
    Obviously been offline a lot myself, said he quickly trying to cover his tracks.

We will call it a testament to my clandestine skills. ;)

Hope training is going well for you these days.

Advertisement