Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

To be fair to A she brought it up a few weeks back so she has had plenty of time to source a replacement :P (A huge thank you BTW)

Hope you enjoy it, know nothing about the stuff though, but it came directly from the distillery highly recommended. It's nearly as old as yourself!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Mon OFF
    Tues AM 4 easy (8.17 min/m) PM 9 easy (7.50 min/m)
    Wed AM 8x600 (75) PM 4 easy (8.14 min/m)

Splits: 1.55, 1.58, 1.55, 1.57, 1.57, 2.00, 1.55, 1.55

Thurs AM 7 easy (7.47 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.59 min/m)
    Fri 7 easy + strides
    Sat 4 mile shakeout
    Sun National Cross Country Championships - 135th

Total Weekly Mileage: 57 miles

Monday was the last day in Copenhagen so between packing etc and getting turfed out early enough despite a late flight didn't have the opportunity to get for a run. Back to normality the next day though with a 7am start in work so early sluggish one.

Session wise couldnt get up to the track so decided to do this on way into work. Had a loop in mind but sadly was flooded so was almost gonna give up and keep the early run as just a shakeout till I got near work and about a 800m stretch and managed to muster enough enthusiasm to get started. Was sluggish however felt better as the session went on, exactly what I needed to stretch the legs before the weekend.

Nationals and the first time out in Abbotstown for Cross (or so I thought, kinda forgot the IUAA Cross was held out there before the sports campus was set up beyond the aquatic centre)

Despite being sole representative from the club caught up with a few old friends as well as a few boardsies (AGYR, Wottle and Dubgal) It was certainly cold and went full onion for this one (leggings. tracksuit, hat, gloves, the whole shebang)

1st lap and got out conservative (no heroics to be had leading out a race like this) despite this looked at the watch at about 1k to see myself hitting about 5.34 pace came around the back end of the course and the muddiest part. I can only imagine that this was only slightly soft at the start of the day but between the laps and all the kids races this was a mudbath for about 200m followed by a nasty little hill only made worse by the fact that you had no momentum going into it.

At this point people started "settling" into the race and I was still finding myself running strong and controlled. Started moving through the field a bit and really stretching out the legs on the downhills picking off people. As the laps went on pace evened off and I was running about as hard as I could. Moved up about 15 places over the course of the race with only one guy coming past throughout the course of the race. Crossed the line in 135th out of 168. This is 3 places off my best ever placing here but despite that I am very happy as the field was alot stronger and I ran well. This was probably on par with Dublin Seniors despite a few lads I was around being a bit further ahead of me (the conditions seemed to suit them much better)

Nothing like a good hard effort to set me up for next week which was the focus anyway and the aim to try and be relatively competitive in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Jesus, some standard there. Really have to get up to that next year, been threatening for too long, I'd say it's the closest to pure racing as most of us will ever get. Fairplay!

El Caballo wrote: »
    Jesus, some standard there. Really have to get up to that next year, been threatening for too long, I'd say it's the closest to pure racing as most of us will ever get. Fairplay!

It's funny caught up with a few old friends / competitors throughout the day. One lad was dying a death after the race (thinking he just broke top 50) jokingly shouting "but I was top 5 in National seniors "

Great to see XC is the great leveller among all disciplines of distance and middle distance running

Mon AM 4.5 v.easy (8.18 min/m) PM 7 recovery (8.26 min/m)
    Tues AM 9 easy (7.36 min/m) PM 4 easy (8.20 min/m)
    Wed AM 3 shakeout (8.21 min/m)

PM 4x200, 2x400, 800, 2x400, 4x200 (1 min rec)
    Splits: 34,34,35, 36, 1.16, 1.15, 2.26, 1.18, 1.16, 35, 34, 34, 34

Thurs AM 4 handy (8.36 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.43 min/m)
    Fri 6.5 easy incl strides (7.38 min/m)
    Saturday 4 recovery (8.43 min/m)
    Sunday Dublin Intermediates XC - 11th

Total Weekly Mileage: 65

Last session of the cross country season so obviously it was a track one :D first session in a while I could nearly anticipate what the coach was gonna give me as its the taper session that I have used for years (one carried forward from my previous coach who shares common influences) The 800 was a little slow but given the cold temps and a small bit of slippiness on the track I wasn't too worried.
    For the 200s doing focused on a slight change in my stride and a bit of experimenting based off a point I heard made by Justin Gatlin regarding sprint form. What ever about his dubious past he is very much one of the most technically gifted sprinters but it made sense and found it was a good way of generating more power in my stride (one to spend a bit of time on in build up to track

When I nixxed the marathon due to other things going on and opted for a cross country season instead this was the race I was aiming to build the season around. It's a local race and one I can usually manage to wrangle a team into for racing. The aim was hopefully top 10 and try and get a solid team out. We ended up turning out in numbers despite a few last min drop outs. Our 4th scorer however was a no show sadly so I knew long before that chances of a medal were slim.

Took it very conservative at the start sitting back into about 30th or so, despite this though was a little panicked as the legs didn't feel great at all. Stride was being cut a little so perhaps I let myself get too far behind but running comfortably for the first 300m, came into the back field to see Dublinrunner just ahead, having dragged me around in a couple of sessions over the last while I thought he was on the lookout for me and would go with me once I passed. Started moving up the field and into the top 20, second in the team which had me happy as one of the youngsters seemed to be having a good day (a sub 10 steeple guy so definitely good quality) managed to catch him about a mile in with both of us sitting in around the top 15.

At this stage I was playing mental arithmetic looking further up the field, I counted out and was in around 14th with a pack of Clonliffe up ahead I thought if I could get up on them I would be able to break the pack. Alot of tooing and frowing in the next lap as some broke off ahead and a few from behind caught up I was in a position where I had to take it on and start pushing forward. Sitting now just outside top 10 with a bit of work to do to reel the lads in.

Coming into the last lap and was feeling relatively strong and started working up the field and caught a Raheny lad. With a km to go caught a glimpse of coach standing beside his coach. A bit of an awkward confliction for him as his coach was cheering on the team which included the two lads right on my shoulder. Another 300m later and I had put a few metres on them but heard one rally the other, they were out for my blood.

Coming into the last field and I started winding it up and with a few shouts from the sidelines it seemed as though it was more reactionary as the lads had made a move themselves and I figured would be soon in eyesight coming by. It didn't happy though as we came into the last 200m and I had the afterburners and kicked like a mule.

Crossed the line in 11th with two lads from the club not too far behind. My eyes scanned the field for who are 4th scorer was and how far back. To his credit the lad who did appear in the horizon was a lad who got in for the team despite having ran Jinglebells the day before (he had been joking before the race about being glad we had enough around so that he wouldn't have to score till I told him to just run as hard as f*&k till you cross the finish line (thankfully he followed my brilliant race tactics)

Despite not being top 10 it is still my best ever placing (13th 2 years ago) so definitely a good run in probably a deeper field so I can definitely live with that.

• Advertisement

Mon 14 easy (8.00 min/m)
    Tues AM 4 miles easy (7.33 min/m) PM 7 easy (8.01 min/m)
    Wed AM 4 easy (8.21 min/m) PM 5 miles including strides (7.55 min/m)
    Thurs AM Shakeout PM NIA Indoor 3000m - 9.41.67
    Fri AM 5.4 easy (7.32 min/m) PM 3 easy (7.32 min/m)
    Sat 16x300m (1 min rec) - hard every 5th rep
    Splits: 56, 57, 53**, 58, 53, 58, 57, 56, 57, 50, 58, 57, 57, 58, 47, 57
    Sun OFF

Total Weekly Mileage 61.2 miles

Cross country done, it was now time to turn my attentions to the task of an Armagh Qualifer. While I fully belief I have the ability to do it I reckon I will have to have alot of luck to do it at this stage of the year. Never the less gonna give it an honest try.

A catch up with the coach on Tuesday (always good one to flesh out and just have a general chat about all things running) and we laid out an outline for the next few weeks. Decided to jump into the NIA as a bit of a rust buster over the quicker stuff just as good prep for clonliffe. Despite the hammys not as bad as after All Ireland's there was residual heaviness in the legs but just decided to get on with it.

Managed to secure a lift with a kind soul from around these parts in the form of Wottle and one of his athletes. Decent turnout for this and better than I was expecting with. Decent warm up but I probably overdid some of the drills as I tweaked the hip during a sumo squat (thankfully no impact after the initial uncomfortable sensation.

Race got divided with me being put in the A race. with 9 in our race based on time. Heard a bit of talk from the girls and mention of in around 10 min while the two lads were chatting to Dermot McDermot no doubt about pacing instructions so I figured the rest of us would be somewhere in between.

I probably should have pushed up a bit more to secure a good start line position but I didnt push and just slotted in behind. First mistake as got very boxed on the bend immediately. Came around onto straight and made a move to pass the female group that had already formed and went after lead group of 3, 150m in and I realized that I was not gonna be sticking with them (8.40 pace). It was gonna be one of those races with me firmly set in no mans land. My sneaking unrealistic expectations of a sub 9.20 (PB) were quickly replaced with new race tactic - Keep it honest for as long as you can.

laps rattled by fairly quickly, came through the first km in 3.07 solid enough and around where I needed to be but knew I was working and would be difficult to keep it up, despite this I was happy enough as this was the aim of the run just to get an honest effort and a bit of sub 16pace into the legs. Came through 1600m in 5.02/5.02. No matter how many 3k's I have raced this has been the same, the difference has always been in second half and I knew this was not gonna be one of my more memorable ones. 2k mark in 6.22 and I was now into damage limitation mode. At this point the group behind me had caught up, a lad from Mount Mellick followed by the two leading ladies. The first girl I knew as she has fairly solid credentials (a 2.06 800 lady) the other was someone I had actually be introduced to that night after short chat with her and the father. I should have clung on to them but I didn't have it in me as I was going backwards while they were winding it up.

Crossed the line in 9.41, not a time I would normally be happy with but it served a purpose as an ease back into quicker not grass work. Now all I need to do is run 3 sec per mile quicker over nearly double the distance in just under 3 weeks :P

Felt a bit better when crossed the line to see how thrilled the other girl was ; 24 sec PB and a Euro Q time (able to used unfortunately) definitely something that ran in the family with here dad a 3.52 miler.

Short turnaround for the session but it was a bit of a manic weekend so was the only chance I would have to get it done. Thankfully Dublinrunner and Gosh from around these parts answered the call and had a bit of company. Paces were relatively conservative, dunno was this coach basing them off thursdays result or just easing after the race but said would keep them controlled but push the hard ones.

3rd split was short as there was another club who had booked the track were using lane one so we got pushed out to lane 3 and went off the wrong start line. Each hard rep I pushed consecutively harder though was happy to hit the paces that I did without having to completely go all out. There is speed there just need to unlock it ;)

All in all a solid week and happy with it even if I did miss a day Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

My bad, he's only a 3:54 miler :-)

Wottle wrote: »
    My bad, he's only a 3:54 miler :-)

pfft not even worth talking about so :P

Mon AM 5 easy (7.41 min/m) PM 5 moderate (6.57 min/m)
    Tues AM 6 easy (7.58 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.43 min/m)
    Wed AM 9 easy (7.41 min/m) PM 4 easy (8.00)

Thurs AM 1km, 3x400, 1km, 3x400m, 1km, 3x400 (90/50 rec)
    Splits 3.16, 79, 78, 79, 3.17, 78, 77, 78, 3.17, 79, 78, 78

PM 2 mile shuffle + 1 hr S & C

Fri AM 4 easy (8.18 min/m) PM 7 easy (8.03 min/m)
    Sat AM 4 easy (8.03 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.29 min/m)
    Sun AM 3 shakeout PM 10x200m hills

Total Weekly Mileage: 76.2 miles

Definitely a week of 2 halves legs were floating like a butterfly till Thursday stung them like a bee. The addition of some of Blagroves S and C books lead me to add a few different supplementary elements to the week between mobility and condition sessions before Thursdays big one

Thursday's session aim was to be at 5k effort, which it was unfortunately with fairly hefty winds blowing the resultant times left alot to be desired however it was only the first part as I was back in the gym for the first time in a long while. On top of the resistance work I was also adding a full plyometric session.

Exercises were as follows

- Squats
    - Pogo Jumps
    - Pull Ups
    - Hop and Sticks
    - Deadlifts
    - Depth Jumps
    - DB Tricep raises
    - Single leg box Jumps

I don't think I have ever done as many foot contacts in one session and probably overdid it as was crippled with 2 day DOMS. Quads suffered most and power loss was noticeable from the last time I was in gym but still shows there is room for improvement

Sunday's hills were not quite memorable session had planned on doing them Saturday but the quads were still mashed so was gonna have to do them after a few drinks the night before Sunday. Cousin was back in the country for first time in a few years. While I thought I was being good and kept my consumption low I was suffering the worst hangover in a long time. Managed to salvage the day with a few hils at moderate pace but won't be one for the annals of glory.

Mon 19 easy (7.23 min/m)
    Tues 4 easy (7.56 min/m)
    Wed 8x800 (reducing recoveries)

Splits: 2.37, 2.35, 2.35, 2.35, 2.35, 2.35, 2.38, 2.37
    Recoveries: 90, 80, 75, 70, 60, 50, 45

Thurs AM 3.7 easy (8.17 min/m) Lunch 6.3 easy (8.11 min/m)
    PM 4 easy (7.19 min/m)
    Fri AM 4 easy (8.11 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.41 min/m)
    Sat 4 mile tempo (5.46 min/m)
    Sun OFF

Total Weekly Mileage: 68.9 miles

An interesting week to say the least. Monday was effortless. Met Dublinrunner and followed that up with catching Krusty for a few miles. It flew by to the point where got to 14 miles and realized I was no where near the house. Ended up with the longest run of the year and only started feeling a bit tired in the last mile.

Text from the coach after and what didn't look like a terrible session on paper I completely underestimated (last time I did one of these it was at 10k effort but this was an extra rep at 5k pace) Normally most sessions are designed to be comfortably hard (bar the corkscrews which as just sick) this was up there with the dreaded hill rep. Holding on for dear life by the end but a great session to throw in once and a while just to remind you how to hurt.

Saturday's session was a bit of a shock and a first also. it is the first tempo session that I have had since I started with the coach back in March. I suppose with all the racing I have been doing these have acted as a replacement. Surprised how controlled this was. The instructions were to be controlled and managed to nail that as the reps were as consistent as I think I have ever ran. Nice balance after the killer session Wednesday.

• Advertisement

With one race left this year will hold off on the review of the year for a few more days however with a bit of time for musing today I figured it was the perfect time to reflect on what I have learned this year with a lot of changes that were made this year and while some of these views might go against what is read in books

Racing - Not just the end result but rather part of the process

Not including my multi event days of the National Leagues I will have 23 races from 1500m to 10 mile this year. To put this into context this compares to 25 races over the last 2 years previously. Not all these races were good (the horror memories of National 10,000m) but overall I do think it was a breakthrough year. Some of these races were penciled in as close as 4 days before.
    Some might argue that this over racing may have resulted in my dip in form in June/July but I felt that the racing was managed well. Very few race weeks dipped below 70 miles so they did not impact training and often were simply a replacement for a session with a recovery day before. The benefits I got from the frequent racing however were invaluable;

- I made mid race decisions without fear of consequence.

- I tried different approaches at different times to see what worked for me better (go for it from gun and try to hold on vs pacing well vs sitting on someones shoulder with a kick) without the pressure of every race being a PB attempt I was able to run fearlessly at times and not play it safe.

- I found I always approached the small stuff better on race week (hydration, sleep, nutrition) so made sense to add more of them to help me consistently do the small stuff more frequently

I am now firmly of the belief that racing is a skill like anything else that most of us don't have enough experiencing as well. People may argue the physiology of this but look at American's or Kenyan's and most of them are well raced long before they ever get near the results sheets we see.

Group Training vs Specificity

Having to build yourself up for every big session is not sustainable mentally. We all have bad days and the training plans don't account for these with prescribed sessions, they don't account for mood/stress etc. I learned to stop looking for the sessions to fit the plan. Many of the sessions this year I have done have been with Dublinrunner despite the fact that we were training for different things at different times.
    There were times where maybe we were not doing the most specific sessions for our targets but we got more out of them sessions and being dragged around by the other person without thinking too much about it than we would have been running specific sessions when we were gonna beat ourselves up if it went bad.

Physiology is only one element of running
    Vo2 max sessions, Threshold runs, Aerobic v Anaerobic - The desire to break running down to a science and a formula, running is becoming a box ticking exercise to an extent. I have started to appreciate the art of coaching more (maybe it is due to simplicity of my own coaches approach) Everyone is looking for an explanation as to why something works while ignoring the fact that it does work "where is the science to back that up" is often cited and while the science can be important, it can also be manipulated just like anything so most of the mediocre science that is cited in the health and fitness industry is so bias that it becomes just as subjective as coaching. I have learned to embrace the creativity side of coaching a bit more and get back to the roots of coaching as an art as much as it is a science. I think this creativity is a bit lost at the moment.

Don't take yourself too serious

Don't be afraid of poor result or poor training session Have the confidence in yourself to brush it off and go again, even bad races serve a purpose. Try things that are outside of your comfort zone (be it Cross Country, Track or even in my case High Jump and Race Walking) approach your running with a positive (not delusional) outlook and always learn from everything you do. There are always gonna be people ahead to chase and people behind to keep you honest. Enjoy all aspects the process and you will get more than simply looking for recognition and praise.

(Apologies for the long nonsensical spewings )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I am now firmly of the belief that racing is a skill like anything else that most of us don't have enough experiencing as well. People may argue the physiology of this but look at American's or Kenyan's and most of them are well raced long before they ever get near the results sheets we see.

Would you say this applies to mid pack runners or is it more geared towards lads competing at the top of the field? How much does a guy trying to run a sub 40 10k in a field full of sub 35 runners need to worry about the skill aspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Would you say this applies to mid pack runners or is it more geared towards lads competing at the top of the field? How much does a guy trying to run a sub 40 10k in a field full of sub 35 runners need to worry about the skill aspect?

It's definitely a skill and there's more to be gained from actually racing the guys around you than just time trialling (although maybe the marathon would be an exception - for me anyway). Things like running a good line, working in a group, breaking away, reeling people in, trying to catch fellas on the line etc. are things you don't do in training. When you start to do them in races that's when the magic happens! I'd find myself a bit rusty - not "match fit" if you like - on my first one or two outings after not having raced for a bit. But I've had some of my best performances chasing down lads and reeling in groups etc. Does that make any sense?

It's definitely a skill and there's more to be gained from actually racing the guys around you than just time trialling (although maybe the marathon would be an exception - for me anyway). Things like running a good line, working in a group, breaking away, reeling people in, trying to catch fellas on the line etc. are things you don't do in training. When you start to do them in races that's when the magic happens! I'd find myself a bit rusty - not "match fit" if you like - on my first one or two outings after not having raced for a bit. But I've had some of my best performances chasing down lads and reeling in groups etc. Does that make any sense?

Makes perfect sense. It's funny in all of the races I've ran I've never found myself in a battle (except for a couple of parkruns). I've usually had a goal in mind and stuck to that steadfastly ignoring everything going on around me. I think I need to get a bit more competitive!

All the best tomorrow L, hope you secure that qualifying time.

OOnegative wrote: »
    All the best tomorrow L, hope you secure that qualifying time.

Armagh is safe for another year. Storm Dylan put this firmly off the cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Armagh is safe for another year. Storm Dylan put this firmly off the cards

It's such a pity! They should have wind-adjusted qualifying times - today was impossible weather if you were looking for a good time!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    It's such a pity! They should have wind-adjusted qualifying times - today was impossible weather if you were looking for a good time!

Truth be told I think even if the weather was better I was still shy of the time but sure gave it a lash so no regrets (and thankfully Tom Brennan had similar weather so not just down to a bad choice of race)

Well done again to you a great run from you and another step on the road to recovery.

Mon 4.3 miles including goal mile
    Tues AM 3 easy (7.42 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.19 min/m)
    Wed 4 easy (7.28 min/m)

Thurs AM 3 miles v easy (8.32 min/m) PM 14x400m (1 min rec)
    Splits: 76, 76, 75, 77, 75, 74, 74, 74, 74, 74, 76, 74, 74, 74

Fri OFF
    Sat OFF
    Sunday Clonliffe Christmas Cracker 5k - 9th - 16.52
    Splits: 3.08, 3.28, 3.31, 3.22, 3.11

Total Weekly Mileage: 39.6 miles

Christmas week is usually a case of debauchery and undoing all the good that I have done over the winter where new years resolutions are almost a bottoming out and starting from scratch again. Not this year thankfully as alcohol content was quite low and even the over indulgence was at a rate no worse than an off weekend. Between being moral support to the OH regarding drink and the attempt at an Armagh qualifier it kept me from going too mad and was more a period of R&R, exactly what the doctor ordered. Despite this there was a mini taper without being intentional with family gatherings etc.

Up the the family home for Christmas eve and Christmas day and made one major snafu, had brought training gear for the Christmas runs but forgot the runners. My brother (who has traded his sporting background for professional pintslinger over the last few years) managed to dig out some of his old training runners from hockey (big clunky cleet type things with the sides busted out of the toe box) it was either this or nothing so slapped them on for a few handy ones down to goal mile and a controlled 6.34 just to show my face.

Opted out of our Stephens day run and just decided to hold off till I got back to the house to get my own runners.

Thursday met up with DR. Extended warm up which ended up at 10k to get to the track from work and kicked into it. Weather was cold but the session itself was nice and controlled. Paces were spot on and was feeling good but were were nearly dragging our feet on the recovery (100m jog) all in all set me up well for the race.

The next two days were off as had a few things going on and didn't put myself under pressure to get out and try force miles before the race. A little bit of foam rolling just to keep the legs from going completely inactive and stale.

Sunday moring and over to Santry where met gosh who was in the same boat as myself and Duanington who was gracing Santry with his glorious return to racing. The warm up let us know that even though we weren't in Storm Dylan's path Northwood was not gonna be enjoyable.

Plan was simple go out and get myself in a position to give it a right crack.

A lap around the track and I was feeling at home before back out onto the roads (first time in a race since September) Found myself with Gosh at this stage on nice pace but there was a group about 15-20m ahead. I knew I had to get to them before we turned into Northwood or it was game over. I attacked it and started closing the gap. Watch beeped at this stage in 3.08, a little fast but we had just come off a downhill so nothing alarming. Managed to catch a group of 4 who were in single file at this stage but I knew it would start to form to a group.

Into Northwood and Gosh had tracked me and we were now in a group of 5 perfect heading into the wind so I tucked in nicely. Gosh decided to hit the front as we came up through Northwood. Expected to slow a little but figured sitting at the back not fighting it I would make it back in the second half. Then the watch beeped. 3.28:eek::eek: Balls wind had taken a serious toll and the lads had sat back. Immediately I reacted and went to the front and started pushing on. At this stage I knew that the sub 16 was gone but i wanted to keep it honest atleast. Came out by Ballymun and I was working my way up the field as the lads who went off too hard were paying for it.

Didn't loo at the 3rd km split but turned back down Santry Ave and I think head dropped a bit at this stage as I settled into my running resigned to not even a PB. Thankfully one of the Wicklow lads caught me here and spurred me to go again. The two of us worked well and reeled in one or two more and as I got the fire back a bit I attacked again.

Coming into the track I had three lads hot on my heels but felt at home once I got to the track. It's funny always find finishing a road race on track gives me that extra Oomph as I pushed hard to the line to ensure I got under the 17 min.

Finished up in 16.52 for 9th

All in all I ran a decent race, by no means my finest but a very good effort none the less though in reality I wasn't hitting sub 16 today anyway as I reckon even on a good day that was worth about 16.20ish.

While it's disappointing to have not secured the time it did leave me coming into the new year in better fitness and alot more sober than I normally am so that should bode well for race in the coming spring.

Will do a review of the year later when I have a bit of time.

PB's at the beginning of 2017

1500m|4.21
    3000m|9.20
    2 mile| 10.21
    5000m|16.25
    5 mile|27.20
    10k|34.10
    10 mile|56.59

Highest placings in Cross Country Championships

Dublin Novice|14th
    Dublin Intermediate|13th
    Dublin Senior|46th
    National Interclubs|123rd

2017 Races

BHAA Eir 5 mile XC|23rd
    Raheny 5 mile| 27.36
    Dungarvan 10 mile|56.54 (PB)
    Armagh 5k|16.28
    Great Ireland 10k|35.30
    Clontarf 10 mile|58.15
    National Road Relays - 2 mile|10.39
    Graded Meet 5000m|16.15 (PB)
    Graded Meet 10,000m|34.16
    Dunboyne 5 mile| 26.35 (PB)
    Graded Meet 1500m|4.22
    Irish Runner 5 mile|27.30
    Clonee 10k| 34.14
    Docklands 5k| 16.37
    National 10,000m|35.45
    National Leagues 5000m| 16.19
    Rathfarnham 5k| 16.51
    Dublin Novice Cross Country 6k| 34th
    Dublin Senior Cross Country 10k|52nd
    National Interclubs Cross Country 10k|135th
    Dublin Intermediate Cross Country 8k|11th (PB)
    NIA Indoor 3000m|9.41
    Clonliffe Cracker 5k| 16.52

As mentioned before even though the ratio of PB to races is probably low enough I felt I have for the most part operated consistently at near peak fitness levels some races (Irish Runner and Clonliffe) were weather hampered but bar that only really April and July were considered bad months, April being racing just after switching coach.

In terms of looking back on the year and the highs and the lows

Best Performance
    I would probably put this one as a tie. Dungarvan and Dunboyne were the two races that stand out for me here. i pushed hard in these and ran aggressively and just about held it together in the closing stages telling me that I really had given everything I could on each day. Gun to my head I would maybe say that Dunboyne was the better of the two simply because it was a very long standing PB and the fact that I managed to take 45 seconds off it was testament to the shape I was in at the time.

Worst Performance
    Easy to pick this one out National Seniors was the low point of the season. Given the way the few weeks before were I was in no shape to be toeing the line, compounded by the fact that the race panned out in the worst fashion for me also (out too hard and died a death) it was one of the worst feelings I have had in a race in recent memory.
    The other race worthy of a mention here is the Clontarf 10 mile. 4th overall last year I had notions of challenging for a Leinster Senior Medal. Coming off a crazy period in work though I was in no state and even the coach commented that I looked completely checked out midrace. The fact that I was over 90 sec slower than last year says it all.

Surprise performance of the year
    National League Final. 3rd event of the day coming off a poor July and 2 session in 3 weeks which included a week of complete rest I intentionally didn't look at the watch and just raced as I figured I would be good for a 16.50 at best and focused solely on racing the guys in the division. Every tactical decision I made paid off and I finished as high as I was going to and bonus was that it was 2nd fastest 5k ever.

Best Overall Race
    Hard to top Armagh to be honest one of the best organised races around and best non championship races in the country. National Road Relays is always quite a special atmosphere as well (hopefully can continue with the move this year)

Worst Races
    Great Ireland Run. The sooner they remove this from being a championship race the better I don't care how much money the AAI make from it. Souless race.

Some amazing times in there. Safe to say you don't race longer than ten miles so?

• Advertisement

Some amazing times in there. Safe to say you don't race longer than ten miles so?

I didn't this year but that was just the way it fell rather than design. The plan had been to run Berlin and do a half in the build up (was looking at Tullamore in August) but these plans changed when I found out we had the baby on the way.

Am looking at a half in the Spring as I looked back and I haven't raced one since 2014 which kinda shocked me a little so would like to revise that PB as I used to consider it my strongest distance.

Had no idea about the baby. No wonder you took pity on me. Haha.congrats.

Interesting to see your plans. I'm paying a lot of attention to what the speedsters are doing in terms of longer distance running (specifically the full). Gonna have that decision to make come June/July time frame, all going well.

Had no idea about the baby. No wonder you took pity on me. Haha.congrats.

Interesting to see your plans. I'm paying a lot of attention to what the speedsters are doing in terms of longer distance running (specifically the full). Gonna have that decision to make come June/July time frame, all going well.

It's actually how I came across your log as I was seeing where I was gonna be time management wise 6 months down the line :D

Dublinrunner and Krusty's logs are fairly good for that kinda stuff. As well as AMK and Duanington who are targeting halves (more specifically than me given there will be a bit of indoors thrown into my approach) will be starting more specific work shortly also soon enough.

I wouldn't be focusing too far ahead though and focus on whats ahead of you in short term first. We can often get lost in the forest when looking to the horizon. You will have a nice framework to kick on from don't worry. People always look to "the plan" when comes to marathon and tend to forget that what comes before it provides the essential foundation.

I had forgotten you were the guy that commented on that early in my log. That you'd be keeping a close eye out of interest. Funny now looking back.

100% agree with you. End of Jan and March in particular is forefront of my mind. I tend to daydream ahead sometimes but who knows what may or may not happen before then. I'm not concerned about not having the correct framework. It's more a matter of fearing the marathon type training would slow 5k and 10k performance initially. But like you said... Short term focus... That decision is literally miles away.

Mon 5.4 easy (7.25 min/m)
    Tues AM e easy (7.47 min/m) PM 5 easy (7.14 min/m)
    Wed AM 9 easy (7.23 min/m) PM 4.1 easy
    Thurs AM 3.5 very easy (8.20 min/m) PM 4x200,8x400,4x200 (60 rec)

Splits: 33,34,34,34, 76, 73, 73, 74, 73, 73, 73, 74, 33,33,33,35

Fri AM 4.1 esay (7.20 min/m) PM 5.1 easy (7.33 min/m)
    Sat AM4 easy (7.59 min/m) PM 6.4 miles easy + 30 min plyometrics (7.54 min pace)
    Sun 9 miles easy (7.32 min/m)

Total Weekly mileage 77.6 miles

The week started and finished in the same manner. With the OH still of holidays tried to make the most of the days off with trying to get some stuff sorted early for the little one on the way. This meant that I was heading out for my runs as herself was heading to bed so the only one missing me around the house was my bed :D

Two starkly contrasting runs with the early stages of Storm Eleanor at the start of the week comparing with the still crisp night air Sunday. The only disruptions I had were a drone hovering over a cross rounds randomly which someone thought would be amusing to pursue me on my run. Went about 40-50m getting alarming close before hitting a telegraph pole and smashing. Karma is a b!tch :P

Session thursday was something a bit nippier with a bit of indoors on the horizon. Oddly enough the 200s were the hardest part of this not because of the pace but rather the recovery. The aim was a minute so I decided I wanted to start them at same point. As the infield was slightly flooded this meant cutting across the pole vault run up and then down the home stretchso the 200m recoveries were at a little bit healthier pace than the 400s.

Thankfully a hectic week gave back a little with getting outg of work a little early one of the days which enabled me to get down to the gym for some plyos before run home. This will be where I focus on consistence for the year and hopefully just let the miles sort themselves.

Session felt good and was happy to see those sort of splits on the watch for the effort where it was.

Mon 4 mile tempo + 5x30sec (60 rec)
    Splits: 23.11 (5.42, 5.50, 5.52, 5.47)

Tues AM 10 easy (7.48 min/m) PM 4.1 easy (7.54 min/m)
    Wed AM 5 easy (8.08 min/m) PM 4 easy (7.54 min/m)
    Thurs AM 5 easy (8.16) PM NIA 3000m - 9.26 unofficial

Fri 4 v easy (8.25 min/m)
    Sat AM 5 easy (8.24 min/m) PM 5 easy (8.12 min/m)
    Sun 2.5 rec (9.25 min/m) PM 2.6 rec (9.16 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 63.4 miles

Bit of a mixed bag week. Tempo was monday to give a bit of time before the midweek race. I was a little stuck for time so stayed local for this one rather than over to the same loop I did before Christmas. Hip was grumbling a little and legs were generally heavy from the beginning so not the best of sessions but in the bag none the less. It's funny on paper this loop is a fast one but I never seem to be able to hit decent paces on it. Didn't worry too much though and felt a bit better when getting going on the strides

Was spoilt for company on my run with Dublin runner answering the call and bumped into a pair of National Marathon Champions along the way for a few miles. Tipped by nicely despite the rubbish weather.

NIA then Thursday and one of those days where nothing was going right for me. Forgot my keys in work the night before so had to run over and back to get them or I would have been locked out. This followed by me getting wrong bus and ending up in Blanch SC so a nice aul stroll to get to the Sports Campus. A Good crowd from the club out for this one with one of the masters groups as well as a number of the teenage groups in attendance so plenty of people to cheer on over the course of the night as well as a few boardsies in attendance.

The aim for this one was in around 9.30. The last time I was out here it was an indicator that indoors takes getting used to and not to expect PB's straight off the bat. Got out well in the first lap and settled into my rhythm fairly quickly with a 73 opening lap. One the lads I was chatting to before the race (recognized each other from a FB page) had decided to take it on so I was happy to slot in as he was setting a decent pace. We rattled off laps consistent enough and came through the first km in 3.04 a bit aggressive but I didn't wanna get caught in no mans land like last time so just focused on racing.

Shortly after this another lad came by us as the pace was starting to suffer, I immediately went after him to try and keep my pace honest. 4.58 coming through the mile and I knew we had slowed a tiny bit but was cruising nicely. The guy I was following seemed to be strong though and the invisible tether was getting longer and longer. Came through 2k in 6.17 and I knew I needed to dig in to keep the pace honest. I was hurting but not redlining and before I knew it I was on the bell lap, digging in I managed to muster a decent kick from about 150m. Coming off the bend and I was in full sprint.

Crossed the line for 8th in 9.26.20 on the watch.

Overall very happy with the time. Second fastest 3km ever which is nice to have mid January. It's also a 16 second improvement on before Christmas which shows that i am in a decent spot and probably the best shape I have been coming off of the holiday season.

Unfortunately fighting off a bit of a bug since (had been going around the office) Canned the long run to play it safe and live to fight another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good going on Thursday - totally missed that on Strava.

Good going on Thursday - totally missed that on Strava.

Don't worry I tend to zone out any time I see a treadmill/indoor entry to (unless it's KC his are frightening haha)

Unfortunately fighting off a bit of a bug since (had been going around the office) Canned the long run to play it safe and live to fight another day.

Famous last words:p

Mon AM 4 easy (7.59 min/m) PM 5 easy (8.22 min/m)
    Tues OFF
    Wed Canned session*
    Thur AM 2.6 recovery (9.19 min/m) PM2.6 recovery (10.04 min/m)
    Fri AM 2.4 recovery (9.38 min/m) PM2.6 recovery (9.18 min/m)
    Sat AM 2.5 recovery (8.59 min/m) PM2.5 easy (8.00 min/m)
    Sun 2.5 easy (8.30 min)

Total Weekly Mileage: 34.6 miles

The less said about this one the better. While I wasn't completely down with it in terms of feeling flu'ish energy levels were through the floor and waking up extremely dehydrated and groggy I knew that something wasn't right. Took Tuesday off as a precaution to try and clear it before session.

Jogged up to track and immediately knew still wasn't clear but decided to just see how it went. Conditions were icy by the track footing was good. The plan was 5x1 mile with reducing recoveries. Set off on the first one and after lap one Dublin runner began to pull away little by little. By the time I was coming around to last lap DR had already gained about 150m on me. Did my best to dip under 6 min but wasn't happening so canned the session there and then. Normally I would continue even if the paces were a little off but about 10 seconds per 400m meant that there was nothing to be gained.

Rather than stand around I figured I could atleast try and help DR with the wind so started jumping in trying to pace him through the odd 200-300. Even managed to dig in the last one and pace him through the last 600m though I knew myself this felt more like race effort for me.

The rest of the week was just shuffles to and from work doing bare mininimum and focusing on keeping HR as low as possible. Seem to come good by the weekend but took the extra day handy on Sunday just to be sure.

A Fresh start and hopefully put this behind me and just get back on track.

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow in Raheny L, run a great race.

Advertisement