Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

That's a big big week coming off a relative "down period"! Impressive (I think).

I often wondered if you were a man for a pint or two. haha.

Rarely drink to be honest (maybe once every 6 weeks to 2 months) not that I don't like it but I just don't recover well sleep takes a hammering and tend to lose about a week where I am an absolute zombie especially because my work shifts are so erratic. Having said that the fact that we have the rare day out now that himself is around it I can give myself the slide (especially when I have 36 hours recovery from last run before attempt the long run :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Those early morning runs and sessions can take a bit of getting used too, but on the other hand it's a great feeling to get out there and get your session done before most people are up out of bed. Especially if it's a tough one - no time to procrastinate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

6am on track, I never thought I'd see the day :D early mornings are the business and people who get out into daylight in the early mornings sleep better (something to do with circadian rhythm) so it's win win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I spent most of my day at work reading through this log. Absolute quality insight to your training and out look on running. Thanks for sharing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I spent most of my day at work reading through this log. Absolute quality insight to your training and out look on running. Thanks for sharing it.

Testosterscone has had a few iterations - 'Ecoli' was his best creation :)

Read this from the start for another perspective from a different runner.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411238

• Advertisement

Testosterscone has had a few iterations - 'Ecoli' was his best creation :)

Read this from the start for another perspective from a different runner.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411238
    538 pages tomorrow won't be productive :pac:

538 pages tomorrow won't be productive :pac:

Well worth the read. KC is the poster boy for consistency and hard work.

Rather than my usual approach for this log over the next cycle I am gonna try and put a bit more content on here not just in relation to my own training but training in general, opinion/reactionary pieces etc.

I think in my own coaching and being coached over the last while I have been focusing on the "art of coaching".
    Many people tend to fall into one of two camps- The generic perfect plan or the everyone is individual approach. I would say that in both camps the focus is too much on the sessions rather than the overall process. Sessions by in large are not the most important part, If you do things right hard runs hard and easy runs easy will invoke huge fitness benefits however I think this is only correct if you approach the idea that everyone is different.

As a coach I feel my number one priority with training people is not the physical side of things weirdly enough it is "athlete management". What I mean by this is I have X athlete coming to me looking to improve and I need to look at the following aspects

- Physiological makeup
    - Emotional and Mental state
    - Lifestyle

These are the primary factors which will dictate how sessions are made up. The focus needs to be on making an athlete physically prepared to take on what they need, mentally believing in there ability and ultimately ensuring the lifestyle is allowing them to sustain consistent training. The actual specifics of the training ultimately are driven by the above factors rather than the perfect approach being devised. One session could be exactly what someone needs despite appearing less optimal while with others it could be the worst thing you can give them at any given time.

Came across the following blog post earlier and got me thinking along the lines of the personal responsibility of the athlete the true role of the coach within this dynamic.

Well worth a read (all 4 parts)

https://peterfrancis.blog/2018/04/18/being-the-best-runner-you-can-be-part-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Opening up a portal to your brain. You may regret this. So many questions. Haha.

I've read that series of articles. Peter is very good. He's helping my buddy with his plantar woes at the moment.

Interesting to hear your views on the role of the coach. It's something I've often wondered (and slightly sidelines your main point) but from your perspective what do you look to get in the long term from the coach athlete relationship? Is a win for you making an athlete more self sufficient or is it constamt ongoing working together?

Also given you look at physiological makeup, lifestyle and mental state how does that work with athletes you've never met and in some cases never seen?

Thanks for the link. Plenty of good reading in that blog.

• Advertisement

Interesting to hear your views on the role of the coach. It's something I've often wondered (and slightly sidelines your main point) but from your perspective what do you look to get in the long term from the coach athlete relationship? Is a win for you making an athlete more self sufficient or is it constamt ongoing working together?

Also given you look at physiological makeup, lifestyle and mental state how does that work with athletes you've never met and in some cases never seen?

In an ideal world the strive is to effectively educate the athlete to listen to the body and be able to effectively coach themselves to a degree. That doesn't mean I would no longer give input or sessions but rather that in my absence they know when to push harder and when to back off. Effectively it should come to a point where the coaching relationship is more a two way dialogue so that the coachee is giving as much input as the coach themselves. There is a famous quote about how champions aren't made in the 2 hours of training per day but in what they do in the other 22 hours. This is where a coach needs to relinquish the reigns and have confidence in the athlete to be the coach for the remainder of each day.

At the end of the day no matter how well learned and experienced the coach is every athlete is the best judge of there body and how they respond to different stimulus. In the early stages of working with an athlete half the battle is basically identifying and trying to correct bad habits. Be it hammering every run, not working hard enough, no consistency, not looking after themselves around training. You tend to coax, con and use every trick in the book to do this (there are some athletes who I will give deliberately wrong paces simply because I know they will run quicker than what ever I say so have to scale it back as an example) Some athletes will never fully embrace this (you can usually tell in the first few weeks) and as such you won't get the kind of growth which ultimately tends to lead to frustration, stagnation on both sides. Often in these cases the best way to progress is simply a new approach.

In terms of athletes I work with remotely, not always ideal no doubt. Ideally I would be supervising sessions and get a feel for physical cues. Ultimately this is part of the idea of self reliance to an extent however you get good at reading between the lines and emails and texts, posts and Strava data all play a big role in getting to the real truth behind these factors.

In an ideal world the strive is to effectively educate the athlete to listen to the body and be able to effectively coach themselves to a degree. That doesn't mean I would no longer give input or sessions but rather that in my absence they know when to push harder and when to back off. Effectively it should come to a point where the coaching relationship is more a two way dialogue so that the coachee is giving as much input as the coach themselves. There is a famous quote about how champions aren't made in the 2 hours of training per day but in what they do in the other 22 hours. This is where a coach needs to relinquish the reigns and have confidence in the athlete to be the coach for the remainder of each day.

That's really interesting insight thanks. For me the difficult part of "self coaching" would not be knowing when to push and when to hold back but would actually be how to structure the training i.e. when to develop which systems or when and how to progress a session by changing the stimulus slightly, when to run tempo etc and how all of this mixes in together. Maybe that's where the books come in! But that's always the question i've asked myself, how would I manage that and I've analysed your training from the last 30 weeks and I'm none the wiser (maybe slightly the wiser). haha (i'm conscious that I don't want to hog or derail the purpose of this thread and hopefully other people are encouraged to pick your brain or share their own insights)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I love trying to learn the theory of training nearly as much as I enjoy running! I'm really looking forward to the direction you say you are going with your log.

That's really interesting insight thanks. For me the difficult part of "self coaching" would not be knowing when to push and when to hold back but would actually be how to structure the training i.e. when to develop which systems or when and how to progress a session by changing the stimulus slightly, when to run tempo etc and how all of this mixes in together. Maybe that's where the books come in! But that's always the question i've asked myself, how would I manage that and I've analysed your training from the last 30 weeks and I'm none the wiser (maybe slightly the wiser). haha (i'm conscious that I don't want to hog or derail the purpose of this thread and hopefully other people are encouraged to pick your brain or share their own insights)

Of course in terms of sessions etc having someone who is objective and can guide from the outside is important but the point I was more making is that as you grow and develop it becomes a 2 way street. There are times when not knowing can be key and other times when you need to make split second decisions on the day and just go with it having the knowledge and confidence to use it takes time.

Mon 5 easy (8.10 min/m)
    Supplementary Work: Weight Training

Tues AM 9 easy (7.12 min/m) PM4.1 easy (7.18 min/m)
    Supplementary Work: N/A

Wed 8 min@MP (2 min), 4x5 min LT (1 min) 8 min@MP*
    Supplementary Work: Mobility + Core

Thurs 9 steady (6.29 min/m)
    Supplementary Work: N/A

Fri AM 5 easy (7.59 min/m) PM 5.3 easy (7.28 min/m)
    Supplementary Work: Plyometrics

Sat 5x1200 (2 min)

Sun 5 easy (7.16 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage: 60 miles

Honeymoon period over somewhat. Between night shifts and hospital appointments it was a tougher week to get everything done, no evening naps and a cranky baby had the mornings alot more difficult to get out than previously. Despite this had managed the week okay till a final spanner saw to the attempts at a long run.

Body was tired after long run last week so Monday was a nice recovery run just to flush out the legs followed up with weights. Was tired by the time session came around Wednesday so focus was on effort. Paces were slow but given cumulative mileage and lack of sleep I wasn't too worried as I knew I was working for it.

Made a balls of the session on the watch and programmed it as 8 min interval, 5 min interval, 1 min recovery but was convinced I was all over the place with times. In end actually copped on quick enough but probably caused the slowing splits somewhat. 8 min session cut a little short due to pitstop.

Thursday and managed a sneaky nap during day off to catch up on sleep. Worked a treat as i was stuck for time and once I got moving I was crusing so went with it. In the end I was working as hard as was possible without forcing the effort. Amazing how you can go bounce from one run to another.

Saturday I had managed to secure company for the session on track for 7. Would have been perfect except for a last min change of shift in work meant I was gonna have to go early. Himself was having none of that though so I didn't get out till the evening. Couldn't make the track so had to do in park which was not ideal as the mandate for the session was middle 400m to be slightly harder. Windy undulating loop does not really lend itself to this but I did manage to get it done as planned though splits alot less uniform than they would have been on the track.

OH planned a surprise babysitter for a few hours out for 1st Fathers day which caught me out so could only manage to squeeze a handy 5 in on lunch break in work (a rare luxury to get away from the desk to have food let alone a sneaky run)

Mileage guilt was creeping in but I need to let that go as overall despite missed long run was a good week again and mileage even though moderate was still decent.

Still early days

(the ramblings of a madman continue..)

Hamstrings still feeling the Deadlifts the day before and windy conditions I headed out last night for a session. I had been up 18 hours at this stage so knew I was not 100% and would have to gut this one out.

Session tipped on and I started to slow a little as each check of the watch. Started to remind myself of form "relax the shoulders, drive the legs and arms, forget about the watch" These are things I have paid particular attention to over the last two years in running and trying to relax at pace. I was thinking that something just clicked one day after years of knowledge accrued from studying the sport but then something dawned on me last night. These cues are something that I was hearing day in and day out growing up from my coach as a teenager. It was nothing new, nothing revolutionary but it has been infinitely effective in my improvement.

The reason I bring this up comes back to the idea of plans. It seems every thread that pops up is focused on plans and targets over the past few weeks, the best plan for X or Y. Unfortunately these days information is so freely available to the point where rarely we get the answer without every really truly understanding the questions. Training becomes a box ticking exercise - A times x B Distance @ C pace = D race result.

This ties back to the idea that everyone is different and different things work for different people. 2 people running at the same pace in the same session don't always necessarily need to be at the same race level. This is why hyper specific training to the detriment of group running may not always be beneficial. If one can take there eye off the watch in sessions and focus on running cues they can in fact runner faster sessions without necessarily being harder.

Using the watch in sessions and races should be a confirmation tool rather the a guidance i.e running the right effort with good form should be indicative of the kind of shape you are in rather than having to hit a target pace for it to be a good or bad session.

I remember for years running with headphones and thought it was a good distraction of effort and in fairness it was but looking back the distraction from pace should have been focused on form and effort and internal rather than external.

Many of us are very much passive in our running. We need to engage with our running to develop ourselves as runners rather than simply as a byproduct of increased fitness. Running is far more than simply ticking the boxes on a plan. Majority of people who are particularly successful from a plan tend to engage a bit more with said plan whether they realize it or not. This is why you see some people seeming to thrive of what many would see as fairly simple plans.

Very good observations. It's something I've only recently really started doing. Easy runs used to be just ticking the box but now they're very much "practice" runs as you've previously put it. Focusing on arm swing, hip and trunk movements, how the feet are landing and pushing off. Same with sessions. Only recently have I really been able to ignore the watch a bit more and tune into effort and form. In saying that it's still very hard to know if your running form is in fact "correct".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

In saying that it's still very hard to know if your running form is in fact "correct".

I think this is just down to each individual, there is ways of improving running form obviously but they are not going to make us all run effortlessly like Wilson Kipsang. Some of the quickest runners I know have running form like a duck with the ‘runs’ but it works for them and they run damn fine times running like that.

You wouldn’t use Haile’s running form to teach youngsters how to run with his constant flailing left arm but it served him well. If it’s how you run, if it’s not broken leave it be. Am sure L will give a more educated response but that’s my two cents worth.

Edit: Just a side note, me and TbL were at a 5k few years back now & he remarked to me about the running style of a fellow runner. I knew who the other runner was and told TbL pal would win, he said not a hope. 17 minutes or less later said runner who ran like an octopus with two feet won the race.

I can remember following one generic plan for a training cycle where I got so tuned in to the effort I could tell what pace I was running at more or less. I could feel where my HR was to within 5 bpm i.e. I was really tuned into the effort. Come race day then that sense of effort meant I knew when to hold back and when to push on etc. But you can also lose that ability to gauge effort without relying on any feedback from the watch or whatever.

OOnegative wrote: »
    I think this is just down to each individual, there is ways of improving running form obviously but they are not going to make us all run effortlessly like Wilson Kipsang. Some of the quickest runners I know have running form like a duck with the ‘runs’ but it works for them and they run damn fine times running like that.

You wouldn’t use Haile’s running form to teach youngsters how to run with his constant flailing left arm but it served him well. If it’s how you run, if it’s not broken leave it be. Am sure L will give a more educated response but that’s my two cents worth.

That's a great response B to be honest. We should be focusing on the individual

The description of Kipsang's running form though is exactly what we should be aiming for, by that I mean we should not be aiming for perfection but rather focus on being effortless.

We spend months building fitness for target races the aim should be to use that while being as effortless in doing so as is possible. If we have tight muscles, bad form etc we shouldn't fight that in races or session however in the build up to races we should be aiming to improve that through weights, stretching, drills etc to correct this issues so that on the day we have the range of motion for good movement without fighting our own bodies mechanics.

We should almost look lethargic or loping in our stride on the day if we have worked on it but we should almost look lazy in our stride to the point where it looks effortless to an extent if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote:

Yeah I get you. Even last weekend the kerry club lad that finished ahead of me had a unique running style. In saying that I still struggle with "are my feet landing how they should", "am I tensing my shoulders too much trying to maintain stable upper body" etc etc. But I'm a little on the obsessive side with this stuff to be honest.

Mon AM 7 easy (7.38 min/m) PM 4 easy (6.56 min)
    Supplementary work: N/A

Tues AM 4.9 easy (7.27 min/m)
    Supplementary work: Strength Training

Wednesday 5x2km (recoveries 2.30 decreasing by 20 sec per rep)

Thurs PM 5 steady (6.46 min/m)

Fri AM 4 easy (8.01 min/m) PM 6.1 easy (6.55 min/m)
    Supplementary work: Plyometrics

Sat AM 4 easy (7.25 min/m) PM 5x600 (90) 5x400(75) 5x200(50) 3 min between sets

Sunday 5 easy (7.42 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage 59 miles

Bit of a meh week. On all late shifts so sleep was definitely not at a premium and with himself not fully being settled it got consistently harder to fit in the runs. Having said that I think in this block there is alot less fluff miles (drawn out warm ups and cooldowns) so overall my runs haven't necessarily been that far off and not being able to get a long run was the difference between a good and bad weeks mileage for me.

In terms of sessions though this went very well with 2 high quality sessions. A little windy for the 2k's but very happy to hit low 6.50s consistently throughout the session here despite legs feeling heavy (strength session day before still in the legs)

Had to get a bit creative with the plyometrics as I couldn't make the gym so changed up the exercises to closely matched ones that could be done without equipment on a grass field outside work on lunch break. Worked a treat and a very good working.

Saturday's session was a major curve ball and only chance I had was to get it done late when himself and herself finally got down to bed. Was running blind on the track given the darkness so only saw splits finishing. The aim was to get the legs moving (working down from 3k pace). Had been up 22 hours at that point and a long day in work but surprisingly the paces held up pretty well despite the tiredness.

Sunday however and no chance for a long run hmmmed and hawwed about doing today but taking a bit of a down week intensity wise this week as planned down week. Body is tired and I am working hard. Despite the mileage not being where I want just yet the fact that I am moving pretty well pace wise and running on tired legs with the supplementary work I feel is somewhat mitigating this.

Looking back at training for Dublin 2016 and at this stage I was screaming my head off in an inebriated state in Stade Mauroy at a Robby Brady Goal against the Italians on a week long combination of Burgers, Booze and Kebab's with the only exercise being cringey dance moves on the streets of Lille. A bit more of a solid block of training under belt so far this time around :p

Looking back at training for Dublin 2016 and at this stage I was screaming my head off in an inebriated state in Stade Mauroy at a Robby Brady Goal against the Italians on a week long combination of Burgers, Booze and Kebab's with the only exercise being cringey dance moves on the streets of Lille. A bit more of a solid block of training under belt so far this time around

I just can't picture it to be honest. Haha. Going from that to 1.45am sessions... Some man.

I just can't picture it to be honest. Haha. Going from that to 1.45am sessions... Some man.

Had a habit of taking the down time very seriously all the way through college and early 20s. From 0mph to 100mph and back again.

These days I am asleep after 2 pints :o

These days I am asleep after 2 pints

Had a habit of taking the down time very seriously all the way through college and early 20s. From 0mph to 100mph and back again.

Well that makes me feel a little better about my lifestyle choices to date!

Ive gone from being the Jager king to lots of pints to the odd session. Some further lifestyle choices coming soon I reckon if I want to take this running more seriously!

Mon AM 4 miles easy (7.22 min/m) PM 5 miles easy (7.49 min/m)
    Supplementary training: N/A

Tuesday 7 miles v easy (8.20 min/m)

Wednesday 4 miles easy (7.46 min/m)
    Supplementary training: Compression boots

Thursday Clonee 10k - 7th - 35.29
    Supplementary training: Drills

Friday OFF

Saturday 4 miles easy (7.35 min/m)

Sunday 15 miles progression (6.42 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage 48 miles

A step back week. Not something I have done too regularly in the past but given the sleep aspect it is something I was conscious of going into this cycle and spoke to the coach who was only too happy for me to do so. I think it works well around the race schedule so the aim is 3/4 weeks up and 1 week down dropping supplementary work and cutting back the easy miles just to freshen up. This helped on two fronts as I was not fighting to fit in the runs so it took some mental pressure off as well as replenishing the brownie points :P and also the legs were in need of it as the consistent supplementary work is something I ashamedly have not been great with in the past so the last few weeks despite the mileage being a little lower had been tough enough so body was heavy.

A handy one on Tuesday with a former boardsie/club mate (drquirky) Tuesday for a catch up meant that the watch was forgot about and just tipped away.

Clonee
    Thursday and took a chilled day to recharge the batteries, perhaps spent a bit too much time in the sun during the day but well refreshed. Picked up Dublinrunner and just over 2 hours cooking in the car with M50 traffic. So much for the effort taken to stay in shade where possible previously :rolleyes:

Short enough warm up and catch up with a number of coachees and club mates etc and we were ready to go. Field wasn't particularly strong in comparison to last year but I had hoped be enough to keep it an honest race.

1st 400m and I was out in front, not a place I was accustomed to but things soon settled and there was a group of about 7, slotted in at the back staying relaxed, pace was nothing drastic and looking around at strides many looked uncomfortable, notions started setting in. The first mile hit 5.24 a bit on the slow side given the fast nature but should have been a warning sign in itself.

Scoffed at the idea of a water station at 3k as figured I had hydrated well throughout the day so left it be as I was just behind the lead 3, the group had split and I kinda was caught in between so pushed up to the lead pack. 5.36 and already heat was starting to take its toll.

Third mile and engine management came on, Dublinrunner and a Dunboyne lad came past, normally would settle in with them but they had about 100m on me before I knew what was what and then saw the 5.48 on the watch which explained it. 17.14 at the 5k mark not terrible given conditions if I could reel things back however I was consistently slowing. Feeling the heat but to be honest just couldn't get going, I could see 3rd,4th and 5th ahead of me, none looking too comfortable and none gaining a lead despite the slow pace. If I could get back on track I could get these. That 3k water station was now coming back into sight at 7k and I was ready for my inverted pike into the bucket at this stage, dousing myself :P

At 5 mile I was caught by an MSB lad and started working off him. Thoughts of sitting on him for a kick and just going for position lay firmly in mind but to be honest these quickly subsided, there was no fight in me I was in self preservation mode and just happy to get over the line.

Same position as last year in 7th but 35.29 way down on where I am fitness wise. I think temperatures count for a good bit but reckon there was 20-30 seconds there simply from giving up slightly. Having said that it was a solid effort just to grind out, a characteristic which will prove useful come October so not a terrible exercise, very rare to we get practice at having to deal with when things are going completely wrong on the day and just trying to keep it between the ditches.

Surprise this year they added to the team categories however and are 2nd was enough for a prize, a bonus especially for one of the lads who managed a 40 second PB to claim his first scoring position on club team so was absolutely chuffed with himself

Post Clonee

Friday I knew was always gonna be a difficult day to get out. The little lad had his first jabs in the morning so was holding out till saw how he reacted, thankfully he was fine however by the time I realised I had missed my window as herself was out with Work Crowd for the evening so I was on babysitting duties.

First day off in 4 weeks though and for a good reason so I wasn't too worried.

Come the weekend and the down week had worked it's magic legs feeling very good.

Long run was a late one (not by design) which worked well as temp's had dropped a bit. Decided to do a loop on tail end of the Marathon course (where I blew up 2 years ago) just to rid them thoughts from the head and instill some positive associations. Broken down into a 5 mile lap the idea was to increase pace each lap. Was cruising from the start and first lap was slightly quicker than expected, pace change felt controlled for the second lap and by the end I was down near the pace I figured I would be finishing it (fastest element) a quick look at the HR just to confirm but I was still not working too hard so upped again by same increment finishing just below MP from 2 years ago.

Working a little by the end but all in all still quite a controlled run. Obviously I was fresh going into this run from the handy week but all in all I still took alot of confidence from it.

https://findingmastery.net/des-linden/

I was gonna post this as a separate post but came across a great podcast dealing with the psychology of marathon running both in terms of approach to training and racing, highly insightful and well worth a listen for anyone in marathon training. Features Boston Marathon winner Desi Linden (arguably one of the top marathoners of her generation)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Stuff about a race etc..... I was on babysitting duties.

I hope Mrs T doesn't read the log or you might miss some more windows! What happened to your early morning runs?

I hope Mrs T doesn't read the log or you might miss some more windows! What happened to your early morning runs?

Poor choice of words alright :p Meant boys night in :D

Coming off alot of late shifts in work coupled with his feeding patterns changing with the heat has things a little out of sync on the routine side.

On earlies this week so should help a bit.

Saw a question pop up on facebook from a relatively new coach that was asked to host a training session for a group of returning to the sport in later life runners (30+ Road Runners) The coach seemed well read and listed a number of sessions that were bouncing around in his head to give them the best bang for their buck.

My first thought was "1st thing I would do is ensure that do they very little running in the session"

Strange right? My reasoning for this was to de-emphasize the mileage=fitness mindset in these runners and open there mind to the idea that you can do things to improve your running aside from actual running. Before someone comes in and says you can't escape mileage I want to clarify I am not anti high volume in fact anyone who knows me and my coaching approach knows it is very high volume endurance based but in this incidence I felt that it was gonna convey a simple message, one that if even a handful of the athletes took away from the session would have infinite value long term. No one session no matter how "perfect" physiologically was gonna have too much bearing on any of the athletes.

It seems to be a common trend across the world but coaches are a dying breed and are being replaced by generic plans, amateur/pseudo sports scientists, training theorists etc. Coaching courses and upskilling is becoming abundant and the focus on coaching education is missing a vital link - experience and application.

I came across a good podcast from Toni Minichiello recently which touched on the subject)

http://www.hmmrmedia.com/2018/06/gaincast-episode-123-coaching-to-gold-with-toni-minichiello/

Simply put courses are churning out liability viable supervisors rather than actual coaches. We need to be encouraging new coaches into the sport by providing them with support to apply what they learn to individual circumstances.

A story which really stands out in this regard for me was discussion with Ronnie Delaney about his time in Villanova. He told me about his coach Jumbo Elliot stopping him as he jogged onto the track for the session. He could see his eyes were a little bloodshot to which Delaney explained about having a late night of study for an exam. with that his whole workout changed to be tailored to the individual needs of the athlete. This decision was based on years of experience dealing with college athletes something which could not be learned from a book.

For me I think we need to get away from generic plans and start coaching again. I think an inexperienced coach (not someone just copying and pasting from plans elsewhere) will be infinitely more effective for an athlete than even a good plan and need to encourage people to get back to coaching, making mistakes and learning in order to improve the overall standard of coaching.

To any experienced coaches out there - reach out and offer yourself as a safety net to those who want to learn and improve.

To any aspiring coaches - don't be afraid to put yourself out there or be afraid of making mistakes, they make you better in the long run.

• Advertisement

I'd definitely agree with you on your musings. My coach subscribes to the same philosophy. Generic plans out of a book or the Internet will bring you so far but you'll never reach your potential or could be counter productive.

Advertisement