Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    It's interesting stuff. Personally, diet is never something I gave too much thought to mainly because I was always thin and lean during my life and I never really thought about calorie counting and such or diet even though I know there is much more to it than weight management. You've obviously delved a lot more into than me so I just have a few questions from my very basic knowledge.

Is it not a bit of balancing act for distance runner to cut body fat? The reason I ask is that weight is looked at as a calorie in/calorie out in it's most simple form but it's probably a lot more complex than that. Most runners need a high level of carbohydrate intake but that also comes with an insulin response which does limit your body ability to burn stored fat. Calorie restriction itself won't necessarily cause weight loss if insulin levels and carbohydrate intake is high. The starvation study is the one that comes to mind showing that basal energy usage levels dropped supplying the heart, brain and vital organs but body fat remained stable when calorie intake was in deficit but carb intake remained high.

I think that's a fairly well accepted opinion on cutting body fat. I'm not going full blown keto or atkins on this:pac: but it confuses the crap out of me when it comes to endurance athletes. What is the actual difference between eating 2400kcal with 225g of emptier carbs(soft drinks etc) than 2400kcal with 225g of nutient dense carbs on insulin response? Is it just as simple as the height of the insulin peak? One being absorb faster and higher? I know the myth of carbs being the villian isn't true and is more driven by most carbs being empty(sweets etc) which means you eat more.

And how do you strike a balance as a distance athlete trying to lose bodyfat?i.e calorie restriction and lowered insulin while maintaining a fairly rich high carb diet.

It is not something I had delved into outside of the usual eat clean style approach I had previously followed. As a 5ft 7 guy coming in at between 9 stone and 9 stone 10 lbs roughly always figured it took care of itself to an extent however the more I delved into the lifting side of thing the more in came into play in tandem. While there is a lot of broscience in the bodybuilding and weight lifting community in other area's they tend to be light years ahead of some of the more supplementary stuff and how it is integrated overall. Obviously some of this is done with a view to sell a product or a program but if you can wade through all the sh!te there is a good bit to pick up on.

FWIW my primary goal is not to lose weight. The aim is to support health and as the training builds up this will be crucial. Between baby, coaching,work and training the balancing act is something I can only do if I am healthy so the main aim is to use my nutrition to be healthy and injury free especially as the training volume increases. When monitoring my diet I noticed that I was not getting sufficient micro-nutrients despite hitting caloric maintenance levels. Effectively I looked at what I was eating vs what I was getting from macro's and micro's the weight loss was a bit of a bi product however not one which I think is a negative.

Demands will obviously change when sessions come into play and this will be taken into account but in the mean time energy levels are up while being in a caloric deficit despite more hectic lifestyle. This will lead to better productivity in my training and more consistency

In terms of insulin response the hormonal aspect definitely comes more to the fore at lower levels of body fat %. With more refined and processed carbs you will have higher peaks which take longer to to level off (as well as sudden crashes which lead to more cravings and usually increased caloric intake)

Low steady levels of insulin responses do not exceed the threshold levels for inhibiting lipolysis. So put simply eating clean can have positive effect on weightloss. Funnily enough high intensity training also has a positive effect on managing insulin levels to an extent.

Think the balance comes from low GI carbs and plenty of non starch based carbs however there is a heavy overlap here with micronutrients so becomes a bioproduct of ensuring health through food.

Should also be noted that this done in tandum with resistance training (currently in hypertrophic phase) so body fat loss is relatively as the aim is to change lean body mass composition moreso which will also affect caloric intake to an extent.

Mon OFF
    Tues 7 mile Progressive Steady Run (7.12, 6.51, 6.43, 6.36, 6.25, 6.14, 6.04)
    Wed 7 mile easy incl/ 6x20 sec strides
    Thurs7 easy incl 7x20 sec strides easy (7.16 min/m)
    Fri AM GYM PM 6 mile steady (6.26 min/m)
    Sat OFF
    Sun OFF

Total Mileage 27 miles

* Daily Yoga/core 15 min

This week was a bit of a push. A good few late night runs. The progression run was in windy conditions. Was happy to see the paces come down to where they are at the moment and seeing the right effort come in at close to MP. This is where I wanted to be at at the mini base phase. Ideally would have liked two of the slip up weeks not to have occured but it was still 5 day weeks so not drastic. Always knew mileage was gonna be lower with running singles over doubles but was still getting good gym work etc as well so better rounded weeks than I may have had previously. Overall feel like I am in shape to start bring sessions in now.

From Thursday mania set in with being extremely stuck for time I had 3 sessions in a 13 hour turnabout. Late night run Thursday rolled into 6am Gym session before work and managed to extend lunch break for the steady run at 1. Legs were heavy as was a heavy enough squat session but aerobically was cruising. Where I wanna be.

Saturday was planned off which was a good thing as had 3 hours sleep (not ideal after the 5 the night previous) Caught up with me Sunday where I knew If I didn't opt for a bit of sleep it was gonna drag into the new week.

Starting to bring in quality and serious training this week now so will be good for a bit of a change up though it has been a productive 6 weeks to date.

Mon AM Gym PM 7 Easy (7.24 min/m)
    Tues 7 easy incl/ 6x20 sec strides (7.13 min/pace)

Wed Warm up,
    10x1 km cruise intervals @ MP - 6.05-6.10 min/m (90 jog rec)
    Cooldown
    Splits 3.45, 3.46, 3.46, 3.46, 3.49, 3.48, 3.50, 3.48, 3.50, 3.49,

Thurs 7 Easy (7.09 min/m)
    Fri 7 Easy (7.34 min/m)

Sat warm up,
    12x200m hills (90 jog rec) gradient approx 2%
    Splits 40, 40, 39, 38, 37, 36, 37, 37, 37, 38, 37, 37
    Cooldown

Sun 12 hilly moderate (7.04 min/m)

Total Mileage 58 miles

* Daily Yoga/core 15 min

And starting to resume normal service. This was the highest mileage I have ran since June and probably the highest mileage I have ran in singles since god knows when.

This week also brought back in sessions. Nothing too strenuous just enough to build on the steady runs I have done and work on aerobic strength and turnover. Hill was fairly slight to be honest was one more for turnover, felt smooth during it though the strides definitely standing to me. A bit taxing by the last few reps so nice way to dip the toe in the water.

Wednesday was controlled though and just tipping on. To be honest the slowing of reps was more a lapse in concentration rather than hurting as I was tired as it was coming up on 11 pm after being up since 5 with the little lad.

Continue to move in the right direction. A few weeks of this sort of work before getting into more nitty gritty sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Can i ask do you the Daily yoga/core every day, is it routine at this stage - like brushing your teeth before bed? I'm wondering how long it takes for this to happen. I have great intentions with yoga/strength/stretching, i get to 3 days in a row but then in the blink of an eye it's 3 weeks later and it's a distant memory and i'm kicking myself :o It's not even about the time I could easily spend 15 less minutes a day on social media :rolleyes:, it's just about creating the habit.

Great week. Well done on all the late nights, especially after the early mornings with the little guy, you're an inspiration.

ariana` wrote: »
    Can i ask do you the Daily yoga/core every day, is it routine at this stage - like brushing your teeth before bed? I'm wondering how long it takes for this to happen. I have great intentions with yoga/strength/stretching, i get to 3 days in a row but then in the blink of an eye it's 3 weeks later and it's a distant memory and i'm kicking myself :o It's not even about the time I could easily spend 15 less minutes a day on social media :rolleyes:, it's just about creating the habit.

Great week. Well done on all the late nights, especially after the early mornings with the little guy, you're an inspiration.

I have never been a creature of habit till recently but part of the scaling back the miles was to allow for this. For the first time since I think I started working by in large I have set hours. This has allowed me to have a routine.

In terms of the morning the little guy is a great sleeper (through the night) but usually wakes around 5-6 each morning. I usually take him down stairs to allow herself have a lie in as she has him then for the day while I am in work. While he is playing on his mat he gets a great kick out of seeing me doing my routine (actually working on a few exercises this week for my instagram that will double for good workout/entertaining a child) Its become routine simply because I am up every morning at the same time anyway.

• Advertisement

Mon AM 7 miles easy + 6x20 sec strides (7.36 min/m)
    Tues 7 miles easy (7.37 min/m) + GYM

Wed Warm up,
    10x1 km cruise intervals @ MP - 6.05-6.10 min/m (90 jog rec)
    Cooldown
    Splits 3.47, 3.46, 3.48, 3.45, 3.48, 3.48, 3.49, 3.44, 3.45

Thurs 7 Easy (7.35 min/m)

Fri 10x200m hills (90 jog rec) gradient approx 5%
    Splits 41, 42, 44, 44, 45, 49, 47, 48, 49, 48

Sat 3 miles easy (7.34 min/m)
    Sun OFF

Total Mileage 42 miles

* Daily Yoga/core 15 min

Good start to the week but whimpered out somewhat. Sickness rampant in the house between herself and her parents the only ones who seemed to come away with it was myself and himself. Unfortunately fatigue levels were high enough with me so I don't think I managed to fully escape unscathed. Having said that it was nothing more than a little low energy levels so was getting it done.

Cruise intervals were on a bit more of an undulating loop so was happy with maintaining the sort of splits I had the week before while feeling quite controlled. A stiff wind didn't help the matter.

Back to my normal hill this week a bit steeper than last weeks one. Overcooked the first few so pulled it back. I knew I was a bit off the kinda splits I was hitting last year so kinda wanted to be in around the 45/46 range a little slow but on an empty stomach so probably put it down to that.

Saturday nights run energy levels went through the floor. Probably a combination between the 10 day work stretch and everything else going on but I was just after 3 mile when I knew it wasn't happening so pulled the plug and home to try and shake it. Sunday had been down to do the Inters but couldn't manage it and by time I could run energy levels still pretty low so I live to fight another day with a bit of rest.

Despite poor weekend still second highest mileage of the return so trying not to beat myself up about it and just make sure I get back on it this week.

Mon 7 easy (7.23 min/m) incl. 6x20 sec strides
    Tues AM 4 easy (8.18 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.18 min/m)
    Wed AM Gym PM 7 easy (7.27 min/m)

Thurs 10x1km cruise intervals (90 sec jog)
    Splits: 3.47, 3.46, 3.49, 3.40, 3.48, 3.48, 3.46, 3.48, 3.52, 3.54

Fri 6.8 easy (7.40 min/m)

Sat 12x200m hills
    Splits: 38, 39, 39, 38, 40, 38, 38, 39, 39, 37, 37, 37

Sunday 12 easy (7.24 min/m)

Total Weekly Mileage 62.8 miles

A Good week and first double since September. wasn't entirely planned but managed to get a spare half hour that I wanted to make use of and utilized it. Sessions were the usual for the moment everything a bit formulaic but its all in the name of consistency and keeping it simple.

Cruise intervals on a decent little lumpy loop wind was strong enough but overall a decent session and working at the right level. Paces have been relatively consistent but course profiles each week have gotten a bit trickier so progress despite effort levels and paces being same.

Hills weren't my usual as himself was majorly out of sorts so was straight home after work till he settled. When I got out had to stay local as it was fairly late. Hill wasn't drastic and wind was majorly on my back so good turnover work but splits a bit flattering.

Mon 4 miles easy (7.21 min/m)
    Tues OFF
    Wed 8x30 sec hills (60 sec)
    Thurs 4 mile easy
    Fri OFF
    Sat OFF
    Sun OFF

Total Weekly Mileage 11.5 miles

Last week of base phase and went out with a whimper. Monday first chance to get out was 11.30 pm decided to keep it short with the hope to getting out pre flight on Tuesday sadly himself decided he wanted some quality time in the middle of the night Monday which curtailed this so didn't manage Tuesday.

The week was always intended as a little bit of a step back as it was myself and herself's first trip away since he was born on our own. Knew of a decent hill to use from my last time in Prague so figured I would get hills in and Cruise intervals when I got back at the weekend. Short and sweet hills but good climb on them so a decent little workout.

Sadly that was the beginning of the end as I picked up a nasty head cold and been in a heap since. Got out Saturday for a grand total of 300m followed by a walk home with the HR absolutely through the roof so took the few days to shake it and get stuck into next block.

Overall not amazing on paper the last 10 weeks but step in the right direction and been doing alot of the things I used to ignore because they weren't quantifiable which should really stand to me. Not expecting perfection but was just hoping for better than what had come before

Base Phase by the numbers
    Days running: 54/70 (5 days a week)
    Miles 375 (37.5 per week average)
    Gym Sessions 9
    Strides work 10

Session progression
    Progression run -
    5 miles @ 7.05 average - 7 miles @ 6.35 - 12x200m hills @ 5k effort

Steady
    5 miles @ 6.45 average - 7 miles @ 6.29 pace - 10x1k @ 6.05 pace (90 jog rec)

Gym Progression
    Squat - 10x10 @ 25kg Squat / 10x10 @ 65kg Squat
    Romanian Deadlift - 10x10 @ 20 kg / 10x10 kg @ 60 kg

Weight - 62 kg - 59kg (9st 4lbs)

Hoping to be over the weeks to come to put a bit of qualilty in and build from this and actually start to push things a bit out of the comfort zone again.

Time for the catch up

Mon 6 miles easy (7.51 min/m)
    Tues 5x3 min (60), 3 min jog, 6x30 sec (60)
    Wed 6 miles easy (7.23 min/m)
    Thursday Tempo (25 min) 3 min jog, 5x15 sec hard (45)
    Fri AM 4 easy (8.22 min/m) PM 7.5 easy (7.22 min/m)
    Sat 5x600m hills (jog back down rec)
    Sun 5 miles easy

Total Weekly Mileage 51 miles

Still recovering a bit from the dose I had after Prague so I eased into sessions. I ended up finding a nice little park which was well lit perfect for grass sessions in the dark. overcooked the first few as the illness still not fully shaken but settled into it. Ironically felt a hell of alot better the day after the session

Tempo Thursday and the aim was 10 min @ MP, 5 min @ LT, 10 min MP. Paces and HR were spot on here ended up being a very solid session. Tacked on strides as I decided with 3 sessions a week now it probably fits here a bit better.

Saturday's session was late night, I had misplaced the Garmin, was falling asleep in the chair (couldn't get out till around 11) coupled with this it was bucketing down just seemed like one of those days that everything was working against me. None the less I decided this was gonna be oldschool. Luckily I had been sussing out a hill long and steep enough during the week on Mapmyrun so I knew starting and finishing point. Drove over to Mount Merrion and kept it simple. Worked hard up the hill and jog down. Effort felt consistent enough and was definitely working. Despite the good session and feeling satisfied with myself on the cool down the day that was conspiring against me didn't finish there. Water got into the key from the rain so ended up stuck at half 12 with no phone or way to get home. Thankfully had a change of clothes in the car to throw on and managed to get a taxi home.

Christmas week was a bit off plan small bit of running here and there but truth be told a few late nights and plenty of time with family etc given E's 1st Chritsmas as well as a new little cousin to add to the mix meant family took precedence

Managed to get out 4 days of varying lengths but only found Garmin yesterday for a brisk 5 mile.

2018 see's the end of excuses and focus and determination will be the two key facets of the 2019 Mantra.

PB's going into the year

1500m|4.21
    3000m|9.20
    3000m Steeplechase| 10.28
    3000m Walk| 20.38
    5 mile|26.35
    10k|34.10
    Half Marathon|1.16.01

2018 Races

National Indoor Arena Live 3000m| 9.26.20
    Raheny 5 mile| 26.57
    Athgarvan 10k| 36.10
    Leinster Indoor Championships 1500m| 4.25.22
    Bohermeen Half Marathon | 1.14.48 (PB)
    Leinster 10 Mile| 58.55
    Dublin 10,000m Championships| 34.14
    Clonee 10km| 35.29
    National Leagues 3000m Walk| 19.48 (PB)
    National Leagues 3000m Steeplechase| 10.58.92
    National Outdoor Championships 10,000m| 35.43

Kinda forgot I actually raced as much as I did in the early part of the year which was not bad considering I haven't raced since July.

Definitely a mixed bag year with 10k particularly being all over the place between a very blustery day in Athgarvan, a scorcher in Clonee and just a general howler at Nationals, but did manage a surprisingly good one for Bronze in Dublin Championships

Dublin Individual Bronze and retained Leinster team Gold coupled with a team podium in Bohermeen saw some decent performances.

Alot of things to correct on last year though and ultimately it was definitely a year to take alot of lessons from on what not to do.

Start the year as you mean to continue

Mon AM 5 easy (7.57 min/m) PM 6.2 moderate (6.57 min/m)

Tues 8x650m (approx) XC w/ 75 sec rec

Wed 8 miles incl 6x20 sec strides (7.10 min/m)

Thursday 25 min tempo (10/5/10) 3 min jog 5x15 sec (45)

Getting Back into doubles now means that I can throw back in some runmutes which should help me by cutting down on the late night runs a small bit. Only doing this once or twice a week for now and slowly progress over the year

Over the last while I have made a conscious effort to not let running interfere with the home life since DCM has been green light for this year I wanna make sure that the time invested in running doesn't interfere. The mornings are my chance to see the little lad and I make sure to spend good quality time for the few hours before work and also let herself have a lie in having to cope with him for the whole day at home. Evening times make sure to be home and sit down for dinner. This meant that after spending a bit of time in the evenings the runs aren't done till little bit later. This is why the nutrition has been key to make sure that I am recovering and resting enough despite the sleep.

1st session of the new year and in typical fashion I forgot to sync it to the watch :rolleyes: I knew that the park that I have been using (plenty of street lights around the park with no big trees so well light) was in around 600m so I decided just to pick my point and start and stop bang on the lap. Turns out it was closer to 650m so no harm. Alot better consistency than the last grass session (admittedly I was still recovering from a dose) but despite not looking at the watch the splits were pretty much bang on the whole way (started at 2.15 (first) with 2.09 as the quickest) First true lung buster in months as the recoveries caught up the last few.

Thursday was the first test of resolve. Still haven't got into the new house so without a treatment room so doing very little but agreed to a treatment in house with a client after work. This meant that had to get the plinth out of storage before work, full shift and then treatment. I had hoped in an ideal world the little guy might fall asleep for mid morning nap and free me up for an hour but he was having none of it. 11.30pm was the first chance to get out I had since 5am in the morning (given it was less than 5 hours since the last run was even less ideal)

Felt sluggish on warm up but was fine once I got going and again with limited light I was focused on effort over watch moreso (odd glance just to keep check) I have become a fan of breaking these tempo's up as such. The first 10 min at MP have you straining at the leash some what and once you get into the LT section you begin to really feel good and brings the HR up for the last 10 min which make a shorter tempo like this have you running right effort levels at right HR without overcook it. The also take discipline in MP sections to not run to fast in first one and to slow up in the second one. Finished this up with a few near max sprints.

Working off a 3 session week for this block I have done this in the past and overcooked things but I am taking the sessions a bit more sensibly and not trying to knock each one out of the park and make sure I am prioritizing them correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Jesus man that's one hectic schedule. Thought I had reason to complain but christ!

Jesus man that's one hectic schedule. Thought I had reason to complain but christ!

Family and running are a priority by choice (by family I mean making sure I am involved rather than just being present)

Rather than looking at missed runs as a choice to prioritize something else I am now starting to look at it as missed days being a choice to throw all the days that I did get out of that run as wasted opportunities to prioritize something else if that makes sense.

Even during base I lacked consistency that I had previously and it is something I am really working hard to get back this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Are you sure you are making wise choices here? The reason I say that is because I think a lot of what I've been reading here for the last while sounds like early signs of ecoli and Myles Splitz 2016. Things like a calorie restricted diet aiming for 58kg(unless your under 5,7 or built of tiny lean muscle like Mo Farah) that sounds extreme. As does only taking in 2400kcal while running 50-60 miles and having 3 sessions along with with a very unorgainised schedule of sleep, eating and living along with targetting 4000 miles this year which 80+ average a week down weeks and tapers included. Two weeks ago, you went out and ran a workout despite knowing you weren't over the sickness and it just all together gives me some deja vu of you trying to balance everything perfectly while getting tennis balls thrown at you.

Just my 2c

Are you sure you are making wise choices here? The reason I say that is because I think a lot of what I've been reading here for the last while sounds like early signs of ecoli and Myles Splitz 2016. Things like a calorie restricted diet aiming for 58kg(unless your under 5,7 or built of tiny lean muscle like Mo Farah) that sounds extreme. As does only taking in 2400kcal while running 50-60 miles and having 3 sessions along with with a very unorgainised schedule of sleep, eating and living along with targetting 4000 miles this year which 80+ average a week down weeks and tapers included. Two weeks ago, you went out and ran a workout despite knowing you weren't over the sickness and it just all together gives me some deja vu of you trying to balance everything perfectly while getting tennis balls thrown at you.

Just my 2c

Ha thankfully your height criteria saved me there

With regards the calorie restriction that 2400 was during base phase but it will adjust with mileage but I can assure you it is not as restrictive as you would think. I am eating more quantity more frequently throughout the day but because it’s better choice of foods That it is lower calorie

Take for example yesterday

Breakfast
    Porridge with blue berries peanut butter and crush walnuts

Lunch
    2 Scrambled eggs with spinach and cheese on 2 whole meal thin breads
    Half a tub of Hugh protein Icelandic yoghurt

Dinner
    Spinach, beetroot and carrot salad, cottage cheese, edamame and green beans. Roasted veg cows cous
    Pint of milk

Pre run meal
    Grilled chicken with sweet chili sauce and basmati rice and rocket

I would hardly call it restrictive it is just lower due to not eating crap around meals that has brought calories down.

It might seem like burning candle at both ends but the difference in diet has actually has positive changes to my health and noticeable with my RHR and easy run HR actually coming down a bit and feeling fresher with higher concentrations levels etc.

Changes might seem subtle in comparison but my running is so much more controlled than it has ever been.

I could very well be proven wrong down the line but on course for third highest mileage week since 2017 and feel like I am hitting it without too much difficulty.

As for the mileage target yes comes out as average of 77 miles per week but won’t be linear and will probably be buffered by higher miles by time marathon training comes around.

Appreciate the concern though always good to have people keeping me in check to make sure that I am not falling into old patterns but everything is a lot more controlled at the moment even sessions (those tempos are extremwle controlled and everything is running within myself)

Hope your own training is going well

Yeah, I get that what you are doing now feels manageable but I'm wondering about how that will evolve over the next few months. Say when the sessions aren't intoductory like now and the mileage kicks up, say when you are 90mpw with 3 key sessions which will be bigger and harder in that week and doing it week on week how you will react to it even beyond diet but in the whole picture of everything.

I know that eating better food is more filling but energy is energy and it's still running a deficit if calories out is lower than calories in no matter how food the food is. You say you are going to increase it as mileage goes up but is that increasing to maintain the current deficit or to increase to it back to equalibrium?

I'm not saying that anything you're doing is wrong in my opinion or general but I do wonder how doing it all at once is going to affect you. Simply

Aiming to increase to highest ever mileage
    While increasing the number of workouts you will be doing to 3 a week
    On a deficit diet targetting lowest ever weight
    During a time where your sleep and life are a bit disorganised

I just wonder how maneagable and optimal that is in the whole picture. We were only talking about the Tinman video on training load the other day and you said there is a difference between tolerance and adaption and I wonder are you veering more towards what you think you can handle rather than what you can absorb with all circumstances taken in.

Arguably(because I know you will with me on this) your best year was 2015/2016(I can't remember exactly but you know..) where you were sensible in your approach and the most consistent you've ever been. I don't know why you didn't just layer on top of that at the time but you you done almost a 180 flip at the time and started running 2-3 workouts a week(often one of them was a race) and it caused big problems for you by the summer. I see some many early similarities from then as I do now and I never understood why you haven't gone back to that old style that brought you results and consistency. You like to attack training so I always thought that more cautious approach suited you because you are much more likely to overcook something than undercook it(history is on my side on that so you can't argue against it:p).

Yeah, I get that what you are doing now feels manageable but I'm wondering about how that will evolve over the next few months. Say when the sessions aren't intoductory like now and the mileage kicks up, say when you are 90mpw with 3 key sessions which will be bigger and harder in that week and doing it week on week how you will react to it even beyond diet but in the whole picture of everything.

I should clarify that the 3 sessions a week is a current small block of training. Having said that I wouldn't classify the sessions as introductory per say, maybe not fully race specific but definitely a good fundamental block. It should also be noted though that this really isn't an increase in hard days but rather just a shift. Even during my base phase it was 2 quality days and a heavy weight session. Again this is what I mean about some of the changes being slighly subtle and go beyond just looking at the details of the workouts
    I know that eating better food is more filling but energy is energy and it's still running a deficit if calories out is lower than calories in no matter how food the food is. You say you are going to increase it as mileage goes up but is that increasing to maintain the current deficit or to increase to it back to equilibrium?

You are talking about energy from the strictly physics standpoint but not scratching the surface. You can hit your calories without hitting your macro and micro nutrient requirements, likewise you can hit your macro's without hitting your calories to an extent. The weight is not actually important more so body fat composition. The weight figure is just in around where I feel I will be lean muscular composition will be optimal. I have also dealt with the specifically when I mentioned that target

It is interesting to note that with the changes in diet I feel I am hitting macro's better than I used to and I think that it has positively benefited my running. My morning runs the last two years when I put down to tiredness were often 8.30-9 min and felt closer to easy effort are not coming in around min pace feeling like I am bouncing. Less muscle soreness in general post session days no easy runs feeling like a slog no matter what pace I run them at.
    To be honest this is more an experiment. Simple fact is that if I continue to eat right the way I am with increase in miles I reckon this should be where I end up however saying that if I feel recovery is impaired or am starting to pick up a few more colds etc then I will pull the plug
    I'm not saying that anything you're doing is wrong in my opinion or general but I do wonder how doing it all at once is going to affect you. Simply

Aiming to increase to highest ever mileage
    While increasing the number of workouts you will be doing to 3 a week
    On a deficit diet targeting lowest ever weight
    During a time where your sleep and life are a bit disorganized

I just wonder how manageable and optimal that is in the whole picture. We were only talking about the Tinman video on training load the other day and you said there is a difference between tolerance and adaption and I wonder are you veering more towards what you think you can handle rather than what you can absorb with all circumstances taken in.

The way I see it it's a long term approach.

Over 12 months since I started base building the aim is the average less than 5 mile increase a month. This month the only difference in the mileage is the fact that I am throwing in 2 4-5 mile runs at slower than easy pace which ironically is the enable me to get home quicker and actually get more sleep and recover.

In terms of life being disorganized though this is actually not correct. I changed roles in work late last year meaning that now for the first time in my life I actually do have routine. It is a set shift, couple that with the fact that I am waking up around same time each day due to the baby it is the first time in that I have had such a routine. In terms of the sleep interestingly I was listening to one of Scullions podcasts talking about a seminar Under Armour put on for him and some of the other athletes on sleep and there was talk about how waking up at the same time can be advantageous to sleep and that lie ins can actually make you feel more sluggish. Perhaps this has been a key component to feeling like I have more energy that I am attributing the the diet incorrectly.

Funny enough the Tinman talk is actually influencing the training somewhat. While I might be doing more sessions I am doing less more often if that makes sense. You referred to the sessions as "introductory" already where as I am viewing them as appropriate within the overall picture for the week.

Arguably(because I know you will with me on this) your best year was 2015/2016(I can't remember exactly but you know..) where you were sensible in your approach and the most consistent you've ever been. I don't know why you didn't just layer on top of that at the time but you you done almost a 180 flip at the time and started running 2-3 workouts a week(often one of them was a race) and it caused big problems for you by the summer. I see some many early similarities from then as I do now and I never understood why you haven't gone back to that old style that brought you results and consistency. You like to attack training so I always thought that more cautious approach suited you because you are much more likely to overcook something than undercook it(history is on my side on that so you can't argue against it:p).

I had a look back at 2016 and genuinely baffled by the comments of it being my best year.

|2016|2017|
    Total Yearly Mileage|2956|3119
    Number of Races|12|23
    Number of PB's|3 (including marathon debut|4

In terms of consistency there was a dip both years. 2016 might have looked good on paper with the big mileage and moderate paces sessions but truth be told I think that there were shortcoming's in that regard which I am feel I am approaching.

This also brings up the good point which probably merits a thread of it's own but comparing training is subjective. I am not the same person I was in 2015/2016 life has changed and what worked/didn't work for me there would be different to today, different job, different home life, different base of training, different mindset in my running.

As I said from the outside it may well look different but for me I feel it is well thought out and I am confident it can elevate me to higher levels. I continue to learn and grown but that comes with the experience of mistakes and failure.

I can see this is going to be a debate to nowhere as we are so far apart but all I'll say that you are looking at Tinmans idea too singularly in the terms of individual sessions, his thoughts apply to training as a whole training. The idea wasn't to cut back single sessions so his athletes could do more workouts, it was cutting them back to absorb training better. Not only is the likes of Brogan Austin doing small workouts but he is doing less workouts too.

I don't think the 2016 v 2017 graph works tbh. In 2017, you ran early year PB's and by summer, you were overtrained and getting slower because it wasn't sustainable so while the numbers favour 2017, I personally wouldn't if I was looking at my years.

All I'm posting here is an objective word of caution because early similarities to other times are setting off alarms. I'll leave it to you at that.

I can see this is going to be a debate to nowhere as we are so far apart but all I'll say that you are looking at Tinmans idea too singularly in the terms of individual sessions, his thoughts apply to training as a whole training. The idea wasn't to cut back single sessions so his athletes could do more workouts, it was cutting them back to absorb training better. Not only is the likes of Brogan Austin doing small workouts but he is doing less workouts too.

I don't think the 2016 v 2017 graph works tbh. In 2017, you ran early year PB's and by summer, you were overtrained and getting slower because it wasn't sustainable so while the numbers favour 2017, I personally wouldn't if I was looking at my years.

All I'm posting here is an objective word of caution because early similarities to other times are setting off alarms. I'll leave it to you at that.

I don't think that I am. He operates a cumulative scoring system for many of his workouts and it influences number or sessions/length depending on that athlete. Though Brogan Austins plan is alot lighter in terms of sessions it is not the same for all his athletes.

This is not just copying Tinman by the way this is through experience under my last coach as well so not just theory based but also derived from personal experience. I found that I was working better off 4 miles of cumulative work in many sessions than I had been previously on higher. Here as well I am prioritizing workout's so the 2nd session of the week is very light lending to the other two while still leaving me fresh

It should be noted that the dips in performance in both years occurred in the summer (June in 2016 v July in 2017) and despite this I came back in 2017 and achieved best performance in Dublin Intermediate cross country to date (an annual pilgrimage so a good metric)

You also failed to look at the fact that 2017 saw some personal issues that summer which contributed to dip in form and while yes fatigue probably compounded the effects of those issues they did not directly cause them so looking at it from a singular point of view of training methodology is a little misguided.

We probably will never agree on this but all I am gonna say is I am not getting into a mentality of paralysis by analysis. Yes things might not be 100% by the book of what you read online but it is an approach I have thought long and hard about and have good backing to support why I am doing it so I have confidence in the approach that I am taking.

Feel free to come back with an "I told you so" if it doesn't work but I am not expecting nor recommended anyone to try the likes of this approach given that it will be able to monitor every minute detail and adapt to them rather than just focusing on the training details.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Kinda wins poster of the year, then leaves us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Kinda wins poster of the year, then leaves us

Who's left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Really!! that is a huge loss

Advertisement