Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

this clear and understandable to you guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

RayCun wrote: »
    yeah, but the stewards will be tripping up any Tallaght runners we see, so... :)

That's where my steeplechase skills come in handy :p

Time for an overdue check in

Thursday AM 4 miles easy (8.08 min pace)

First time in years I have ran before 6am but I had a flight so it was the only opportunity I had for the day to get something done.

Friday OFF
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday OFF

3 tourist filled days in Paris which included everything from the Louvre to Disneyland. I knew this trip had been on the cards for a while and knew any sort of running was going to be tough so I was not too worried about missing the few days and enjoying fine food and wine without going too crazy

Monday 6 miles easy (8.17 mile pace)

Tuesday 3.5 miles easy (8.01 mile pace)

Wednesday 8 miles easy (8.07 mile mile pace)

A lot worse than expected as I had a few days off work to fit in more treatments so expected to get back into it and hit the ground running. Can't blame lack of time or hangovers or anything of the sort I just struggled all this week for motivation. Think the extra free time coming off the few days off in Paris threw me off my stride but just had to draw a line under it and get going again.

Thursday 10k tempo (6.17 average mile pace)

Was supposed to do 13 miles pacing DQ through a marathon session but never got going. After two miles I knew I was already working too hard and sweating too much for the type of session it was, by 4 miles I had fell off and was trailing and by six I was pretty much done. A bad session but coming off the tail end of what was a bad week I am just going to look at it as a turning point and back to work and routine hopefully will be back to myself.

Friday AM 5 miles easy (8.15 mile pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Was supposed to do 13 miles pacing DQ through a marathon session

which one is he running?

RayCun wrote: »
    which one is he running?

Where all wanted Tallaght men go. Off to Spain to lie low ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Just a bad day, we've all had them. Move on and Monday is a new week! What's up next on the race schedule?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just a bad day, we've all had them. Move on and Monday is a new week! What's up next on the race schedule?

Already have, not beating myself up about it. Looking back over the last few years at my "bad weeks" this is nothing in comparison so as long as I snap out of it (which I think I have now I am back in work routine) and get back to it the break could be a blessing in disguise

Racing Sunday week in Dublin Senior Championships, a nice 10k slog on my own doorstep. Even though I won't be in an asses roar of the top guys it's a race and course that will suit me better than novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Already have, not beating myself up about it. Looking back over the last few years at my "bad weeks" this is nothing in comparison so as long as I snap out of it (which I think I have now I am back in work routine) and get back to it the break could be a blessing in disguise

Racing Sunday week in Dublin Senior Championships, a nice 10k slog on my own doorstep. Even though I won't be in an asses roar of the top guys it's a race and course that will suit me better than novice.

10k XC, should suit you down to the ground. Our County XC is the same day, can't say I'm looking forward to it!

Friday PM 5 miles easy (7.43 min pace)

Saturday AM 5 miles easy (8.08 min pace)

Saturday PM 12x1 min hills w/ 2.15 rec

Sunday 12 miles easy (8.02 min pace)

Definitely a week of two halfs. Seem to have gotten back into it. Session last night was on a hill up near the family hill which is a little steeper than the Churchtown one I was using having said that the effort was there but at same time was quite controlled. Happy with how it went

Legs were sluggish today though after a poor night sleep. All in all though despite a poor start to the week mileage was up around the 60+ week where it has been pretty much since August (bar the weeks I was in Prague and Paris) and managed to get the 2 sessions for the week done.

Happy to get back into the swing of things so quickly.

Monday AM 5.6 miles easy (8.04 min pace)

Monday PM 6 miles easy (8.05 min pace)

Was glad to get the early one in to try and warm me up after spending a good chunk of the morning down at the Walkinstown Roundabout cheering people on. The run into work was a bit of bobbing and weaving to avoid spectators as the route pretty much is all along the second half of the marathon course.

Tuesday 6x1k w/ 2.30 recovery

Splits: 3.26, 3.26, 3.28, 3.31, 3.28, 3.30

Given the weather yesterday and the constant rain all day today I knew this was gonna be a slogfest however after being lucky for the last few months this session was badly needed before the race at the weekend as this was going to be the sort of footing I was going to have to contend with.

This session was supposed to be closer 5k effort than the mile repeats I did two weeks ago and felt that I definitely hit that criteria despite the paces actually being a little bit slower just given the underfooting.

Not sure whether it was me tiring or just the loop getting a little cut up with each extra lap but splits slowed despite effort increasing. All in all really happy with this one and looking forward to the weekend slog now (maybe just a glutton for punishment)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 6.1 miles easy (8.09 min pace)

Thursday AM 6 min @10k, 2x3 min @5k, 4x1 min @ 3k (w/3,2,1 min walk rec)

Thursday PM 4 miles easy (8.35 min pace)

Friday AM 4.5 miles easy (8.12 min pace)
    Friday AM 4.5 miles easy (8.44 min pace)

Saturday 5 miles recovery (9.20 min pace)

Dunno whether it was a case of the change in the weather and getting soaked in session on Tuesday or I just over cooked the session but not feeling myself the last few days.

Met up with DR for a light tune up session Thursday. The plan was to do 1 mile, 2x800 and 4x400 but when got to the track there was works being done of the Pole Vault so only had access to lane 8. Worked out the distance discrepancy of lane 8 and made my way back before start line, it was only after we got into the rep that I realized should have moved start forward and not back so rather than correct my blunder we just ran off time.

Garmin paces were a bit off being on track as covered 1.1 miles roughly in that time so was in around the 5.30 pace effort planned. 3 min reps were consistent and a step up but I probably overcooked the 1 min reps but I was feeling good.

In hindsight was probably a blessing to just focus on the effort as has been the aim for the winter with it being XC season, the main reason for doing it on the track was so that I could keep the effort level controlled and monitored.

Friday nights run seemed like a case of low blood sugar or something as I was weak and struggled through it but just a handy one.

All set now for tomorrow and hopefully should go well, gonna be a mud bath and a grueler but in a sadistic way I am relishing it ( probably just a race effort in general)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Good luck, hope to see you down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I'll see you out there! :D

hqdefault.jpg

I'll see you out there! :D

hqdefault.jpg

I'll bring the wellies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good luck and enjoy it Myles, no bother to you

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Din din, din din, din din, din din, din din dindindindinnnnnnnnnnnn! Ha ha see you there bud!

Had been itching to race all week. Training has been going well and I have been consistent (the most consistent I have been in training for years) so I was looking forward to getting out there. I was under no illusion however as I knew it was going to be a very top heavy field after talking to the Claw and a few Donore lads a few weeks back, coupled with the talks of Kenneally, Sergiu and Freddy as well.

The fact it was a 3pm start and the course was a 2 minute walk from the house meant I was twiddling my thumbs for half the morning trying before heading down. By the time I got there and had a look around the course and the early races it was evident that my Tuesday session was not going to be needed in terms of course specific mud bath experience as the day that was in it manage to dry out the course very well.

Hats off to BP as I said this was possibly one of the best course layouts I had seen in years. It very much had a continental XC course feel to it.

One thing I would not have to worry about today was letting the team down as there was only 2 of us so I was running for myself from the off.

Gun went and immediately I took it conservative enough as the way the course was there was a 200m straight relatively flat stretch followed by a nasty little hill to put a sting into the legs so I knew there would be a fair few enthusiastic runners who would botch there race in the first 400m. Slotted in behind a familiar face of an old boardsie (Stupid Private) who seems to have had the same idea as me.

Beyond the first hill the course was relatively fast so you could get into your running quite well. At about 1200m there was a nice downhill to let yourself go on however it was quite a narrow path and I had managed to get caught in behind thewolf.ie and a few of his Rathfarnham club mates so my stride got broken and was having to apply the breaks a bit but once the narrow path widened managed to swing by and move up a bit. The wolf was having none of it though and at the sight of me put in a surge to swing around.

At this point I noticed a Crusaders guy who was with me in Novices and I think he recognised me around this point to as we seemed to work off each other for a bit. 2nd lap came along and seemed to go along the same lines as the first, scaled it back on the climb, recomposed myself and then started stretching out the legs through the remainder of the loop. This time however I was not being slowed on the downhill and managed to negotiate it very well.
    My ankle was tightening a little bit which caused a bit of concern (think the short sharp climbs coupled with spikes where taking a toll) The Wolf was still holding his ground and seemed to be having the race of his life as I would have expected him to come back to me at this stage as I had felt he may have attacked it too hard in the early stages.

3rd lap I was in pain, ankle now starting to get aggravated, overheating and just generally feeling like crap, I had passed the wolf but in turn had been passed by one of his team mates and as the lap went on he was managing to pull a gap on me, fleeting thoughts of wanting to give up came and went but managed to keep them at bay.

Weirdly enough I managed to come through this at the start of the 4th lap pain in the ankle had slightly numbed up (possible lacing too tight) and was feeling that I was running smoothly again and felt I was able to up the effort (looking back on strava I wasn't but it felt that way anyway) I had a new target of trying to track JTG's Feidhlim Kelly who seemed to be upping the pace and working through the field pretty well.

Last lap and I was moving nicely and felt really strong, came off the downhill and I felt like I was going to be able to consolidate my position (had heard it called in the mid 40s going by some of the TAC supporters a few times). I figured a decent long wind up would kill off a DSD runner who was lurking in the wings with about 800m to go that I had spotted coming around a sharp turn.

With three hundred to go however he made a move, I allowed him onto my shoulder before injecting a bit of pace and looked to have killed him off. In ther last 100m however shut down thinking I had done enough previously and having a coaching session to pace the next day I thought best not to risk it. It was the only regrettable mistake of the day as he beat me by a head at most (given the same time after)

Result 46th in 38.22 official

Overall very happy with with the result. I had said to myself at the start of the year that if I could manage to get near the top 40 it would be a successful day so mission accomplished. Felt strong and definitely feel like these XC races will stand to me big time coming back to the roads when I start chasing times again. A little annoyed in giving in at the end as that is normally where I am very strong but I put this down to a lapse of judgement moreso than anything else.

Dublin Intermediates up next which should be a race where I am a bit more up in the mix.

Cheers bud was on fire until I got a nasty stitch. Enjoyed our little dance, the course was great and was pure hard work!

• Advertisement

Monday 5 miles recovery (9.03 min pace)

Tuesday AM 4 miles easy (7.51 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 6.5 miles easy (8.18 min pace)

Wednesday 6x400m w/ 90 sec walk rec
    Splits: 75, 71, 73, 71, 74, 76

Thursday AM 4 miles easy (7.52 min pace)
    Thursday PM 5 miles easy (8.18 min pace)

Friday 8x1k w/ 90 sec jog rec
    Splits: 3.40, 3.35, 3.36, 3.35, 3.37, 3.34, 3.36, 3.37

Legs took longer than I would have anticipated to recover after last weekend. Was supposed to do a long run with TBL on monday but due to conflicts this didn't happen which actually meant I could take the recovery fairly handy.

A few handy 400s on Wednesday on grass with a decent recovery. Between the legs not feeling hectic and the brothers graduation dinner meaning I was stuck for time it meant I had no problem scaling this session back a bit. Splits were a bit all over the pace simply down to the footing but the effort was there, battling through a bit of a stitch on the last one (think the lunch was a little too soon before the session for this one.

Thursday an overdue treatment on the legs to loosen them out, any sort of treatment I have had over the last few months has been shoulder due to the injury so I felt with hectic race schedule coming up best to get the legs ironed out a bit with a few treatments and one of the lads in the club happened to have a free slot.

This morning was the first session in a bit of the more race specific phase of training. The short recoveries would be a change but with the pace being closer to 8k/10k XC effort it was okay for the first while but really got into working hard by the end, was surprised to see the splits as consistent as they were as I didn't get a chance to look at the splits till after.

Saturday 14.5 miles easy (7.43 min pace)

Sunday 9 miles easy (7.43 min pace)

Monday AM 4 miles easy (8.35 min pace)
    Monday PM 4.4 miles easy (8.44 min pace) + 3x200 (3 min rec)

Splits 33, 31, 28 (:o)

Tuesday 4*400, 2k, 4*400, 2k, 4*400 w/ 1/2 min rec

Splits:
    (76, 76, 76, 76)
    (77, 75, 76, 75)
    (74, 75, 75, 77)

Wednesday OFF

Thursday AM 5.6 miles easy (8.19 min pace)

Saturday was a late night jaunt home from work. Managed to avoid the worst of the weather and was actually fairly calm night for a run surprised the pace was as quick as it was but feeling very controlled.

Sunday morning bumped into one of the lads from the club just back on his feet after injury picked up at Berlin (yet still manage to hit a time I could only ever dream of) good to catch up with him for a few miles despite the weather.

Monday evening was a handy one with another one of the club lads. We said we would add a few strides for turnover and were controlled till ego got the better of us on last one and ended up dropping the hammer. Unfortunately this was against a runner with 51 sec 400m speed and was quickly put back in my box as I shut down the last 40m. Still happy to be able to clock a 28 (high) with shutting down, perhaps there is life in the aul legs yet.

Tuesday was a session I attempted and failed last year. One of my rare ones on the track this winter.Despite a bit of wind all in all the session was very controlled. 400s were a little off pace but nothing drastic. Very happy with the session overall as the hammy's were a little stiff (I imagine from the adventurous 200s the night before)

My first day off in 3 weeks then unintentionally followed though did't feel too guilty about it as spent half the day walking followed up by an uneventful runmute this morning.

Thursday PM 6 miles easy (7.44 min pace)

Friday AM 5x1 mile w/ 90 sec jog rec (XC)

Splits: 5.55, 6.02, 6.09, 6.06, 6.04

Friday Lunch 5 miles easy (8.15 min pace)

Tough session this morning. It was windy as hell and fairly swampy. Went up to my usual XC loop. Despite the Intermediates being the opposite direction on this course in 2 weeks time I decided to stick with my usual direction for one reason. It had a long 200m drag that I would climb twice on the 1 mile reps which would suit perfect for the Interclubs out in Santry as I remembered the incline on the back stretch of the course.

Unfortunately my choice meant that the climbs would be into the wind so I knew the reps were gonna be slow and the effort was gonna be high. started off seeing nearly 7 minute pace after two hundred metres despite me sucking air already. Turned out of the wind and it helped things but never really getting a breather.

As they progressed I was digging in harder and harder. There is a short sharp hill on the course and I was finding getting my footing was tough even with the spikes as the mud slid from under me. Fourth one and managed to dig in and really up the tempo (similar to how I had in Dublin Seniors).

Last one I was battling with a stitch and really digging in hard to keep it there. All in all a very solid session which had me on hands and knees by the end of it. A perfect race simulator :)

Sounds epic!

Saturday 5.4 miles easy (8.04 min pace)

Sunday 90 minutes elliptical (cross training)

Monday AM 5 miles recovery (8.44 min pace)

Saturday's run was nice and handy however had a bit of a twinge on the outside of my ankle which was aggravating the achilles a little. The most concerning thing was that it was getting worse rather than better as the run went on which I knew meant that it was a little more than tightness or stiffness. Looking back I think I must have went over on it during the session as it seems the most likely cause.Canned the evening run and spent a bit of time doing a bit of hands on work as best I could and foam rolling in the area.

Sunday still not 100% I decided there was no point in being brave/stupid. I decided to hit the gym and onto the cross trainer for my "long run". Mind numbingly boring but I knew it was the safe option however my sanity could only manage 90 min.

Monday the pain had subsided but been replaced by rock tight muscles (and not in the good washboard abs type way). It was an improvement however but kept the easy run into work as recovery. The odd twinge but nothing consistent and the muscles eased out a bit over the run.

Hoping it was just a minor blip with the races coming up

Tuesday AM 5.5 miles easy (7.53 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 6 miles easy (7.41 min pace)

Wednesday 1k, 2k, 3k, 1200 w/ 1,2,3 min recs

Splits: 3.27, 6.55, 10.32, 4.15

The leg continued to improve to the point where there was residual tightness onl left by Wednesday morning. I had pushed session back a day just to play safe but even that didn't help with the wind. Knew from the start that splits would be off but as the session went on I knew I was working wayyyy to hard (supposed to be 10k pace) the week of a race to warrant keeping it up so I decided to pull the plug on the down part of the wonkiest looking pyramid.

Still a decent enough workout though I did feel quite sluggish despite the wind.

well??? how did it go?

Firedance wrote: »
    well??? how did it go?

123rd didn't meet my pre race aim of top 100 but to be honest that was not down to me having a sub par performance. Happy I ran to form and finished pretty much around the same guys I have done during the season (minus a certain boardsie who had a stormer today and managed to reverse the result from the Dublin Seniors)

Full Report will come when I get a chance

123rd didn't meet my pre race aim of top 100 but to be honest that was not down to me having a sub par performance. Happy I ran to form and finished pretty much around the same guys I have done during the season (minus a certain boardsie who had a stormer today and managed to reverse the result from the Dublin Seniors)

Full Report will come when I get a chance

look forward to reading it, a tough race by all accounts, I see a club mate chasing you down in one of the photos #dividedallegiances :)

• Advertisement

Thursday 5.7 miles easy (7.41 min pace)

Friday 6 miles easy (8.20 min pace)

Saturday 5 miles recovery (9.01 min pace)

Advertisement