Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

This was a bonus race for me. wasn't part of my original plan but given training had been consistent and the buzz I got from racing Dublin Seniors plus the fact that I knew I had the day off work anyway thought it would be a shame not to compete in this race.

It's funny I was talking to one of the Donore coaches before the race and he made a point that really stuck with me regarding UK Cross Country being spoilt in terms of depth. Really made me think about how you can learn so much more from a stacked race and being well down the pecking order than have a false sense of security in finishing higher up a field.

Looked at the provisional entries and I knew that not getting lapped and around top 100 would be a super performance for me on the day (especially when I saw that the usual 2k laps had been replaced with 1600m ones (realised this was due the flooding of part of the course when I got there and started warming up and realising there was a section of the usually course completely missing :o)

Warm up was kept fairly central as I wanted to keep a close eye on the Women's race which was great to see not just the usual distance runners in but also a huge number of our top middle distance runners getting in the mix (Crowe, Tarplee, Galligan,Mageean just a few names)

Being the sole representative from the club I slotted in behind a club team in a shoot and no messing about with the starting gun as there was now marks or set simply bang and we were off.

The first 200m was a swamp and just did best to stay relaxed and not get swept up with the mad dash for the first corner. Settled in just a bit off an old boardsie Stupid Private and ws kinda thinking to myself that it was a little bit far up from where I wanted to be. I knew the soft under footing was going to sap the strength from those who went out too hard so I figured if I start conservatively I would manage to pick off a few.

When finally settled in I spotted thewolf.ie up a bit ahead of me. The same thing had happened in Dublin Seniors so I figured I would catch up with him as the race went on. The size and depth of the field was great as for the first 3 laps or so there was rarely a time when you were anyway close to single file and there was always someone to chase.
    After the first big loop I decided to start moving up in the field. Heard watches beeping at the one mile mark and despite turning my pace and auto lap off I couldn't help but have a glance and saw I was in the 5.4x general range for the first lap. I knew that it was slightly slower than the first mile in Dublin Seniors but it was much of the same effort.

Next lap and I continued pushing up and was moving well on the back end of the course a few sloping turns in soft conditions seemed to be catching a few people out but I negotiated them pretty well and seemed to make ground.

The support was fantastic. Despite being the only club runner involved in the race there seemed to be someone at ever corner of the course giving me a cheer by name which kept me honest even when I was hurting; club members, boardsies (Duanington, pconn, Meno, Sacksian, Wottle) and even a few others like Gary Crossan and few old college training partners. Just goes to show how close knit the running communit really is in this country.

After about Lap 3 I was no longer passing people all that frequently but I did spot a Liffey Valley guy who is normally near me (though usually ahead) I was tiring but he looked to be a bit worse for wear so began to close the gap. Over the next two laps managed to get up on his shoulder and eventually past him though would not manage to hold this till the finish.

Mile 4 and 5 I thought I was slowing but it was just tiredness as looking back seemed to be holding pace. Last mile I was in a world of pain but just focused on getting the head down and try not to lose any places. I saw I had gained a small bit of ground on thewolf but not enough to mount any credible challenge as he seemed to have kicked it up a notch from Dublin Seniors

Coming around the last 600m I began to see a shadow closing on me. I knew the stride was unnaturally efficient and moving to well for someone down this far in the field and sure enough Mick C comes galloping past. another 150-200m and I hear cheers for the 2nd runner coming by (nearly stopped me in my tracks when I saw it was Johnny C) followed closely enough by Paul Pollock. I hoped that would be the last of them. Another guy then passed me who I recognised. I was not being lapped but rather it was the guy who had beaten me in a dip when I eased off coming to finish line in Dublin Seniors. I went after him but didn't have enough to stay with him

Crossed the line in 37.01 (which was called out by announcer also so I am not sure where the extra 30 sec came from on results)

Official results have me down as 123rd which was not the initial target but looking at the results (Guy 1 place ahead was same in Dublin Seniors and Liffey Valley rival 6 seconds ahead compared to 10 at Dublin Seniors) I don't think I could have done any better on the day.

Happy with the performance and great to have raced in it. Next up is Dublin Intermediates next week which was always the big target of the season so hopefully I can keep the consistency going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you're not still planning to run Waterford the week after the Intermediates, are you?

RayCun wrote: »
    you're not still planning to run Waterford the week after the Intermediates, are you?

Yes :o

However this is end of the season for me, sessions and mileage have been scaled back and using the races as the stress stimulus. After Waterford it will be a couple of weeks easy running before the New Year when I start into heavy training again for the road season

It's not a target race simply a case of seeing where I am at after the winter training on the grass and also a mini club xmas party with the large number heading down.

Monday 5 miles easy (8.27 min pace)

Tuesday Club Fartlek (1,2,3,2,1 min on/off)

A light week this week between recovering from Interclubs and Dublin Intermediates at the weekend. The good news is that despite feeling tired and the body sluggish monday they body didn't feel completely crocked like it did after the Dublin Seniors.

Tuesday was a club session . With Intermediates this weekend the plan was a light bit of fartlek, for me just a bit of very light quality after the weekend and few of the guys were coming back of the marathon so was a reintroduction to quality so worked quite well. 6 of us in total including davedanon

Up tempo was around marathon effort with the down sections at easy pace, loosened out the legs a little bit on the last minute but all in all did exactly what I needed to in between the two races.

Body felt better for it this morning to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Monday 5 miles easy (8.27 min pace)

Tuesday Club Fartlek (1,2,3,2,1 min on/off)

A light week this week between recovering from Interclubs and Dublin Intermediates at the weekend. The good news is that despite feeling tired and the body sluggish monday they body didn't feel completely crocked like it did after the Dublin Seniors.

Tuesday was a club session . With Intermediates this weekend the plan was a light bit of fartlek, for me just a bit of very light quality after the weekend and few of the guys were coming back of the marathon so was a reintroduction to quality so worked quite well. 6 of us in total including davedanon

Up tempo was around marathon effort with the down sections at easy pace, loosened out the legs a little bit on the last minute but all in all did exactly what I needed to in between the two races.

Body felt better for it this morning to :D

Rather more than my marathon effort, I can tell you.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    Rather more than my marathon effort, I can tell you.

Give it time ;)

Wednesday 5 miles easy

Thursday 2 mile tempo, 3 min rec,4x300 w/ 2 min rec

Splits (5.44, 5.47) (55, 52, 55, 54)

Feels like the longest week of my life with the mileage scaled back. Just a handy one tonight to keep the legs ticking over. first time in a long while on a flat non windy tempo. 2nd mile lost a little bit of time as I ran out of park so had to loop onto the grass for the last 100m but felt pretty controlled.

300's I had to reel in each time as I was running them too fast for what I was supposed to (aiming for 3k effort)

A couple more miles in the week but just about freshening up for Sunday at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

All I'll say is that you have a very different idea of "to keep the legs ticking over" in race week to me! Two sessions!!

I didn't use the Magness training sessions at all, but I think some of his ideas from his book about the different types of runners - and how to identify them - are interesting. Particularly what different runners do in race-week to feel 'ready' - and the types of sessions/long runs/etc that suit them.

I'm definitely more of a drastic-cut-back-week-of-a-race type of person, which from talking to a lot of people can make some feel a little flat, whereas it makes me a bit bouncier!

Best of luck on Sunday, lots of great training done.

Sacksian wrote: »
    All I'll say is that you have a very different idea of "to keep the legs ticking over" in race week to me! Two sessions!!

I didn't use the Magness training sessions at all, but I think some of his ideas from his book about the different types of runners - and how to identify them - are interesting. Particularly what different runners do in race-week to feel 'ready' - and the types of sessions/long runs/etc that suit them.

I'm definitely more of a drastic-cut-back-week-of-a-race type of person, which from talking to a lot of people can make some feel a little flat, whereas it makes me a bit bouncier!

Best of luck on Sunday, lots of great training done.

:o

Knew this was coming after our conversation on Sunday but this actually is a taper - No doubles, mileage cut back from 60 to 40 approx and the sessions were low volume (9 minutes total at MP with significant recoveries Tuesday, and 2 as opposed to 5-8 miles of tempo work)

Without a doubt I have gone into races tapered and done nothing for the week but easy runs and just felt I was working way too hard from the offset so I prefer long recoveries and low volume sessions at correct intensities. I definitely do feel bouncier after a decent session as long as it's not too long to take away from the race.

Last night's tempo felt nice and smooth and it was over before I got to the stage where I was having to really work which was ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I'm only kidding - they're very light sessions (but, TWO!!) and you know better than anyone else what works best for you!

• Advertisement

Sacksian wrote: »
    I'm only kidding - they're very light sessions (but, TWO!!) and you know better than anyone else what works best for you!

1st one had ulterior (club related) motives but to be honest helped shake the crap out of the legs from the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done today, can't have been easy out there. Missed out on team bronze by four points is tough.

Friday 4.5 miles easy (7.21 min pace)

Saturday OFF

Sunday AM 3 miles shakeout (pre race) (9.30 approx pace)

This was the one I had set my stall out for when first doing up my plans for XC. Cut back the miles this week and was feeling pretty good going into it.

Conditions were tough the blustery wind was going to be a pain but when warming up was surprised with how well the ground had held up after the previous nights downpours.

Wind was on our back on the out half of the course and in our faces coming back this coupled with the fact the 1st km of each lap being the quicker meant that I decided to take a break from my usual conservative start and use the elements to my advantage in the hope of getting myself well placed in a group before turning into the wind.

Gun went and ended up lively off the line. I dunno if I started to hard or whether the initial pace was a bit on the slow side but after 200m I was sitting just off KU with woflie beside me sitting in the top 4. When the dust settled I was surrounded by a sea of Crusaders (4), wolfie and two CS/BP runner. Came down the hill and into the wind for the first time, immediately tucking in and shutting off. I let lads dictate the pace and just did my best to conserve energy as I knew it had been an aggressive start as ran the first km in low 3.20.

Coming the second lap 2 more Crusaders lads had moved up and I was sitting in pack with them as wolfie and the BP had fallen off. I knew that it was gonna be a tough day given these guys probably are training together most days/weeks so they were probably a bit more comfortable. Got to the windy section again and went to tuck in till a Crusaders guy sling shotted past me obviously wanting to close the gap on the group up ahead. Gut instinct kicked in and I followed suit with a dramatic enough surge before settling in again. Here a few more caught up with us and there was now a decent group of Rathfarnham, Raheny and Clonliffe guys.

I think all the surging and the initial hard pace caught a few of us out as there seemed to be guys coming back to the field after going out too hard and the guys who went conservative starting to move up. so suddenly our nice group started splintering fairly quickly.

By lap 3 I had lost a few positions and I knew I was gonna have to battle hard if I still wanted the pre race target of top 10. TRR came past here and looked to be going well. Tried to tag on but to be honest he looked like he was only increasing the pace as he went on so I knew he was going to break my streak of 1st club runner in ever XC race this season.

Despite hurting and probably getting the tactics a little wrong I was still running well and even when I got isolated from people I actually seemed to be more in control just maintaining a constant effort even with the wind. I spotted a Liffey Valley singlet in my peripheral at this point and recognised him as the guy that has been 2 spots ahead of me in last 2 races. I knew I was still running well so and just had to dig in.

Weirdly enough despite the last two races being gruelers this seemed to be one where I was just bordering redlining, that almost, dry wretching feeling you get. Could just have been the fact I went off as hard as I did but normally I take it as a sign I am racing well.

Came down the last 600m and managed to start winding it up and with 200 to go I knew that the kick I let go and how strong I was feeling I knew that I was not gonna be caught.

Official result: 13th in 30.12

Didn't quite get the top 10 that I wanted but I gave it my all and it was 4 places higher than last year so definitely an improvement.

Can finally put away the XC spikes feeling satisfied with the last 16 weeks of training and racing. The race efforts themselves I feel will stand to me big time when it comes to January and I start having a few pop's at revising the PB's.

Overall have to say I am very pleased with how the season has gone. Ended up getting 4 Championship races done since October 2 months after starting back after the broken collarbone and ended up with my highest placings in the two that I had ran previously (2 of them last year)

Also in a good position with regards training it is the longest bit of consistency I have ever had and though I have not had absolutely killer sessions nailed like previous years I feel like I am in better 5k/10k shape and more importantly I feel like I can kick on training for times after putting down a solid 16 weeks or so of training already (Most my PB's have usually come from about 8-10 weeks consistent hard training).

Month|Races|Position|Previous Highest Position
    Oct|Dublin Novice|14th|25th (2014)
    Nov|Dublin Seniors| 46th|N/A
    Nov|InterClubs XC|123rd of 160| 77th of 122 (2012)
    Nov|Dublin Intermediates|13th|17th (2014)

In term of Goals for the season that I set out back in August they were as follows

Dublin Novice|Top 25|14th|
    Dublin Seniors|Top 60|46th
    Dublin Intermediates|Top 10|13th

All in all can't be disappointed with that

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Good man it was fun brother runner! Me you and Liffey valley!

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Good man it was fun brother runner! Me you and Liffey valley!

Have been pretty neck and neck all season (Think he has 2 top performances with you and me one a piece). Great to have people challenging race in and race out, certainly brings us all on and keeps us honest.

Really interested to see how you go next year. You have really kicked it up a notch over the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Have been pretty neck and neck all season (Think he has 2 top performances with you and me one a piece). Great to have people challenging race in and race out, certainly brings us all on and keeps us honest.

Really interested to see how you go next year. You have really kicked it up a notch over the last 12 months.

Ah it does be interesteing thinking "right I'll get them both this time", and you get hammered then. Then the time you don't expect it you come out on top. It started during track and continued into cross, has been great like.

God only knows, once I'm enjoying it and have my running brothers to share a dance on the track or in a field. Really got a true sense of running this year 2015 from our 1500 in Athlone, 3000 meters to recent XC. It's great that I don't have to log I can just feature in other logs if I keep close to you and catch some others! Cheers see you next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

:o

Knew this was coming after our conversation on Sunday but this actually is a taper - No doubles, mileage cut back from 60 to 40 approx and the sessions were low volume (9 minutes total at MP with significant recoveries Tuesday, and 2 as opposed to 5-8 miles of tempo work)

Without a doubt I have gone into races tapered and done nothing for the week but easy runs and just felt I was working way too hard from the offset so I prefer long recoveries and low volume sessions at correct intensities. I definitely do feel bouncier after a decent session as long as it's not too long to take away from the race.

Last night's tempo felt nice and smooth and it was over before I got to the stage where I was having to really work which was ideal.

Hah! I knew there was talk somewhere of two sessions in a week. Here it is! Hope bumping the log is ok.

I appreciate the above exchange was in relation to a race week, but in general is it of any great benefit to have 2 sessions in every week in a training plan? Im looking around at plans atm. I have one which has say hills on one day and intervals a few days later. Im looking for an alternative and none of them have sessions on 2 days, so before I change Im wondering would I be shooting myself in the foot by ditching the 2 session a week idea.

Hah! I knew there was talk somewhere of two sessions in a week. Here it is! Hope bumping the log is ok.

I appreciate the above exchange was in relation to a race week, but in general is it of any great benefit to have 2 sessions in every week in a training plan? Im looking around at plans atm. I have one which has say hills on one day and intervals a few days later. Im looking for an alternative and none of them have sessions on 2 days, so before I change Im wondering would I be shooting myself in the foot by ditching the 2 session a week idea.

Depends on the personal background of the athlete I would always ask the following questions.

How often is the person running a week?
    How long are they running?
    What kinda mileage level are they at? (both per week and lifetime)
    What sort of proportion of the weeks training would be made up from sessions?
    How quickly they recover?

Sometimes one session a week is actually of more benefit. I know I had this discussion with one of the lads I coach only last week. In end it was agreed that one session would be more beneficial as they were not recovering because lifestyle came into affect.

My advise would be do one session well during the week for now and should provide enough of a stimulus to improve.

• Advertisement

Monday 4.9 miles recovery (8.43 min pace)

Tuesday 3.5 miles eays (7.41 min pace)

Wednesday7.4 miles easy (abandoned session)

Been a while since I have had a bad week but this seemed a good a time as any.Work and other commitments put a severe hamper on sleep last few days to the point where I am a bit of a walking zombie today.

A short Tuesday run was all I could get in but managed to get out with the newly formed lunch time run group in work. Alot of pretty talented lads back in the day trying to get back into the sport so despite my PB's not being in the same ballpark many of them are looking at me to lead charge in BHAA maybe next year :rolleyes:

Got off to a great start as I went over my ankle bad enough in first mile. Been sore last 2 days but improving and running not aggravating it so a luck escape it would seem.

This mornings session I knew I was wrecked but attempled the session anyway. On my favourite pre HM sessions (2 miles easy, 1 mile HM, 1 mile easy, 2 miles MP, 1 mile easy, 1 mile HM, 2 miles easy (10 total) ) but I knew I was not at the races and couldn't even hold one HM mile so pulled the plug at start of the MP section and just ran into work.

Should be grand with a decent sleep next two nights hopefully.

Also won't be having to learn the German for Marathon Debut next year as Berlin doesn't want me it seems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

So, where gains from Berlin's loss ?

kit3 wrote: »
    So, where gains from Berlin's loss ?

Looking like I may opt for a hometown appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

echm, what about an earlier marathon :p

Great. Nothing like a hometown athmosphere (just watch your nose before this one ;) )

Great. Nothing like a hometown athmosphere (just watch your nose before this one ;) )

And the shoulder ;)

And the shoulder ;)

Ha, yes ! How are you with training wrapped in cotton wool ??

Ha, yes ! How are you with training wrapped in cotton wool ??

Getting there

20140724142049-stjohn_cottonbaby-1.jpg

Nice look - I now have this image of you floating over the treetops given the wind the last while !

• Advertisement

Nice look - I now have this image of you floating over the treetops given the wind the last while !

Hopefully wouldn't get done for PED's (Helium is the real one WADA need to look out for)

Advertisement