Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year 4: "It's a game of inches"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Excellent run Luke.
    Didn't spot you today, could have used you beforehand. I'm broken. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Excellent racing, well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats, great start to the racing for the year. No doubt, plenty more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Monday 4.2 miles very easy (8.22 min pace)

Tuesday AM 4.1 miles easy (8.07 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 4x4 min @MP w/ 90 sec jog rec

Splits 5.57, 6.01, 5.56, 5.58

Wednesday AM 5 miles easy (8.18 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 7.4 miles easy (7.41 min pace)

Thursday 8x1200 @ 10k pace w/2 min rec

Splits 4.04, 4.01, 4.04, 4.07, 4.03, 4.03, 4.05, 4.02

Friday AM 4 miles easy (8.18 min pace)

Fair bit of jostling and balancing over the next few weeks between recovering from races, getting ready for the next one and trying to keep training going to get ready for the big race target in May (pending entries still being open come Monday)

Legs didn't feel too bad Monday however Tuesday's session showed me still not 100% which is why I was glad to have scheduled a very light session just to get the legs ticking over. Felt like a bit of a Fox to the Sportsworld Hounds (not a reflection on any Sportsworld people just in case I offend :P) as I ran my workout down around same area as the Sportsworld crew. Great to see the sheer numbers training together with them.

Thursday was a play it by ear one. Originally I had this session planned however the guys at the club were doing one which I felt would work to so agreed to do that with them. Work scuppered that however and couldn't get down to the club so when back to my original plan. Up to Marley and around the concert fields for this one. Was delighted with how it went. Last few were tough but I was on the right side of burying myself in terms of effort. 1 rep more than last time I did this session and a shade faster so definitely going in right direction.
    Monday AM 3.5 miles easy (7.53 mile pace)
    Monday PM 7x1200m @ 10k w/ 2 min rec

Splits: 4.07, 4.04, 4.05, 4.06, 4.05, 4.04, 4.09

Full report to follow but the highlights

- 30 sec PB
    - 1 leinster medal
    - one wrong turn

• Advertisement

The race season continued. Wasn't sure whether this was place for PB but reckoned I would give it a shot and see how things went. The course details still seemed to be kept under lock and key and even after chatting to Dick Hooper before the race I was still unsure exactly what changes had been made to last years course.

A low key start with DH just yelling go and we were off. The first part of the course is 2 x 500m loops so can create a bit of congestion but I was immediately up the front right off the leaders. 1st thought was "Luke you dumba$$ F^&k what the hell are you doing on the shoulder of Kirwan, O'Leary and Roe, you have no business being here". Despite this the pace settled and we were running in 5.30s for the first mile. I tucked in behind Roe and a Tullamore athlete in a battle for 4th. Wind was strong enough here so I was happy for the bit of shelter and wasn't too concerned when I saw the first mile click for 5.38. At this point TRR had pulled up to come with the group. The previous weeks holiday seem to have been long forgotten.

Came to the end of the avenue and the 180 turn got the best of the Tullamore athlete aas he hit the deck hard in front of me causing me to lose momentum. He recovered well but at this point with the wind on our backs I began to push the pace and hit another 5.38 on the watch feeling pretty good with the 3 lads in pursuit.

At this point TRR decided that he was going to employ sneaky tactics by making me try to hurl as he decided the long sleeve underneath his single was coming off so a mid race strip meant that he meant business. I continued to drive the pace however and shortly after he decided the pace was too hot but planted a seed in my head "X up ahead is an M35 so there is a bronze here for the taking" I again pushed on and was driving the pace although feeling it tough I had gained a gap on the 2 laps as the clock read 5.33. Kinda knew that wheels may come off later at this pace but I was doing my best to push on. At about 5k I turned up a hill from last year and decided to ease off a little and recharge on the hill. Half way up however I got the shock of my life. TRR, Roe and the Tullamore lad are shouting at me to come back, the marshal had sent me left when I should have continued straight and as such my lead was gone and I was about 20m off the back. Mentally this knocked me and thoughts of a PB were gone. I worked back up to the lads but the goal was simple. Take that 4th spot and claim the bronze.

Next two miles were into the wind and I tucked in behind and just gathered myself with the pace dropping (5.53, 6.03) Tullamore was sounding like he was hanging on for dear life judging by his breathing and even Roe who admittedly was not looking greatest (though he was taken the brunt of the wind) Turned to wind on our back and again I pushed the pace a little as with the 1st lap with 5.43 and 5.46 but still feeling quite controlled and slotting back behind Roe as we turned back into the wind. The pace was feeling almost too easy to be honest and I started to suspect that Roe was gathering himself for a strong finish (6.08 and 5.52) decided I would have to make a decisive move a bit out in the hopes of breaking him.

At the top of the avenue we turned for the last mile with the winds on our back. I decided I was going for it so at the 9 mile marker I put in a surge and body reacted well as I hit 5.20 pace and gained a gap. I wasn't sure if I could hold it but coming around the rose gardens I was seeing that the gap was sizeable enough and he was not making ground. Back on to the avenue for the last 400 and as I came down I saw the clock was still in the 56.xx region so surprisingly PB was still on. Gave it everything and crossed the line in

Finishing Position and Time: 4th in 56.59 (29 second PB)

https://www.strava.com/activities/528815690

All in all a very good day. PB in the back, sub 57 and later heard that team had Silver. The one blip, the M35 was awarded Senior Silver rather than M35 gold so the medal I was working hard to get never arrived but still a very good day both individually and on the club front.

2 for 2 now this year, next stop GIR in 2 weeks (sadly reckon this will end the PB streak due to the nature of the course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Fantastic performance, Myles, well done.

How would you rate that course, in terms of speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭gosh123

The race season continued. Wasn't sure whether this was place for PB but reckoned I would give it a shot and see how things went. The course details still seemed to be kept under lock and key and even after chatting to Dick Hooper before the race I was still unsure exactly what changes had been made to last years course.

A low key start with DH just yelling go and we were off. The first part of the course is 2 x 500m loops so can create a bit of congestion but I was immediately up the front right off the leaders. 1st thought was "Luke you dumba$$ F^&k what the hell are you doing on the shoulder of Kirwan, O'Leary and Roe, you have no business being here". Despite this the pace settled and we were running in 5.30s for the first mile. I tucked in behind Roe and a Tullamore athlete in a battle for 4th. Wind was strong enough here so I was happy for the bit of shelter and wasn't too concerned when I saw the first mile click for 5.38. At this point TRR had pulled up to come with the group. The previous weeks holiday seem to have been long forgotten.

Came to the end of the avenue and the 180 turn got the best of the Tullamore athlete aas he hit the deck hard in front of me causing me to lose momentum. He recovered well but at this point with the wind on our backs I began to push the pace and hit another 5.38 on the watch feeling pretty good with the 3 lads in pursuit.

At this point TRR decided that he was going to employ sneaky tactics by making me try to hurl as he decided the long sleeve underneath his single was coming off so a mid race strip meant that he meant business. I continued to drive the pace however and shortly after he decided the pace was too hot but planted a seed in my head "X up ahead is an M35 so there is a bronze here for the taking" I again pushed on and was driving the pace although feeling it tough I had gained a gap on the 2 laps as the clock read 5.33. Kinda knew that wheels may come off later at this pace but I was doing my best to push on. At about 5k I turned up a hill from last year and decided to ease off a little and recharge on the hill. Half way up however I got the shock of my life. TRR, Roe and the Tullamore lad are shouting at me to come back, the marshal had sent me left when I should have continued straight and as such my lead was gone and I was about 20m off the back. Mentally this knocked me and thoughts of a PB were gone. I worked back up to the lads but the goal was simple. Take that 4th spot and claim the bronze.

Next two miles were into the wind and I tucked in behind and just gathered myself with the pace dropping (5.53, 6.03) Tullamore was sounding like he was hanging on for dear life judging by his breathing and even Roe who admittedly was not looking greatest (though he was taken the brunt of the wind) Turned to wind on our back and again I pushed the pace a little as with the 1st lap with 5.43 and 5.46 but still feeling quite controlled and slotting back behind Roe as we turned back into the wind. The pace was feeling almost too easy to be honest and I started to suspect that Roe was gathering himself for a strong finish (6.08 and 5.52) decided I would have to make a decisive move a bit out in the hopes of breaking him.

At the top of the avenue we turned for the last mile with the winds on our back. I decided I was going for it so at the 9 mile marker I put in a surge and body reacted well as I hit 5.20 pace and gained a gap. I wasn't sure if I could hold it but coming around the rose gardens I was seeing that the gap was sizeable enough and he was not making ground. Back on to the avenue for the last 400 and as I came down I saw the clock was still in the 56.xx region so surprisingly PB was still on. Gave it everything and crossed the line in

Finishing Position and Time: 4th in 56.59 (29 second PB)

All in all a very good day. PB in the back, sub 57 and later heard that team had Silver. The one blip, the M35 was awarded Senior Silver rather than M35 gold so the medal I was working hard to get never arrived but still a very good day both individually and on the club front.

2 for 2 now this year, next stop GIR in 2 weeks (sadly reckon this will end the PB streak due to the nature of the course)

Great running weldone on the pb and 3rd place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done Myles and great resilience shown in getting back into the race. You fairly well hammered down that last mile past us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! super report & very well done.

No GIR sandbaggibg tho right? Make it 3 in a row :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Great performance, bronze or not. Well done on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

That's some fantastic racing! Congrats on the PB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great running and nice PB, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Great Race today Myles and super result.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done Myles, you looked very much in the zone.

davedanon wrote: »
    Fantastic performance, Myles, well done.

How would you rate that course, in terms of speed?

Cheers Dave,

Not the fastest of courses certainly and definitely a number of people have made comments on that (3 180 degree turns and a number of sharp twists and turns definitely kill momentum a bit)

I probably get away with it a bit more that most as a little guy its easier to make them turns though so might not have been as big an advantage to me personally.
    denis b wrote: »
    Well done Myles and great resilience shown in getting back into the race. You fairly well hammered down that last mile past us.

Thanks to be honest I had been tucked in for 2 miles previously being conservative so I would have that kick. 9 days out of 10 the Raheny lad would hammer me up and down St. Annes park so I knew that when I went to leave him I had to be decisive or he would have swallowed me whole.
    Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! super report & very well done.

No GIR sandbaggibg tho right? Make it 3 in a row :)

I would love to hit PB and definitely won't be sandbagging but that is a pox of a course. If I do run PB there though it will make my summer 10k target time look soft to be honest though. I reckon if I am within 20 seconds of current PB I will kick on with a big PB come May.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Well done Myles, you looked very much in the zone.

Cheers Murph, thanks for the support also. Definite noticeable as the Avenue had gone quiet by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Superb run and nice report. Post of the day too - not a bad day's work!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Myles, you are in great shape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Stablemaster

very nice good job

Friday PM 5 miles easy (7.04 min pace)

Saturday AM 3.5 miles easy (7.39 min pace)
    Saturday PM 5 miles easy (7.46 min pace)

Sunday 3 miles shakeout (9.03 min pace)

Monday Race (see report above)

Tuesday AM 3 miles recovery (9.43 min pace)

Weekend was simply being economical with time. Friday Stuck for time but thankfully was able to duck out of work a half hour earlier to get this done. Saturday treatments meant that this was kept short and a simple runmute into work.

Sunday was just getting the legs ticking over and Monday saw both the race and the date for those without a sub 33 10k being allowed to enter Highgate, there was just one problem. Logged on at 11.40 getting ready to enter to see that they had already filled all spots for the race :mad: Name down on the reserve list so hopefully a few withdrawals from the race but if not will just focus on Gradeds 10,000m (Dublin Championships) which is 4 days later. Bit gutted as this was the race I was looking forward to all year but other than running 32.xx in the last 15 months there was nothing I could have done about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done Myles, seen you hammering down the home straight, looking very relaxed. Well done on the PB...

Tuesday PM 4.2 mile easy (8.10 min pace)

Wednesday AM 4 miles easy (7.58 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 5.1 miles easy (7.29 min pace)

Thursday 8x800m w/90 (ish) rec

Splits: 2.37, 2.37, 2.37, 2.38, 2.38, 2.35, 2.33, 2.32

Friday AM 4.1 miles easy (8.01 min pace)
    Friday PM 6.2 miles easy (7.53 min pace)

Saturday AM 5 miles easy (8.00 min pace)

Race on Monday definitely took its toll on me. Not sure if it was the course and twists and turns or what but the body was in a jock for most of the week with major DOMS. Thursdays session was supposed to be 6x800m off a quicker pace but I was still not right so ended up scaling back the pace and jumping in the club session.

In the end the session was fine on paper. Splits were 5k pace off shorter recoveries than used to and pace didn't feel too bad, was good to have the group there also. Wouldn't call it a great session mind you as just felt crap, stride felt uncomfortable and didn't feel smooth at all but effort was right so supposed just take it as a job done scenario. Better to have a bad session when hit splits with right effort than bury yourself with a killer workout that you nail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Race on Monday definitely took its toll on me. Not sure if it was the course and twists and turns or what but the body was in a jock for most of the week with major DOMS. Thursdays session was supposed to be 6x800m off a quicker pace but I was still not right so ended up scaling back the pace and jumping in the club session.

Yup, me too.

Saturday PM 4.1 miles easy (8.08 min pace)

Sunday AM 3 miles (8.11 min pace)
    Sunday PM 4.5 mines easy (8.06 min pace)

Monday 5x2km w/ 3 min rec

Splits: 6.54, 6.52, 6.52, 6.54, 6.50

Handy tipping away at miles over the weekend. Was supposed to do the session on Sunday however a Saturday night 4 am job meant I opted for the extra sleep Sunday morning and pushed it back a day. Would have not got benefit from running it exhausted so decided to be sensible.

Early treatment Monday morning following late shift Sunday night meant that was still little tired for the session but I wasn't half as bad as the day before. Overall despite not feeling great for the session it was a decent one and glad to get it done. It's funny last year I did same session on track and it was the highlight session of the year. Here it was just another piece of the puzzle in what has been a string of decent session so really happy with where I am with the training and racing.

Calf giving a few grumblings after session but gonna be sensible and give it a bit of attention over the next day or two just to play it safe.

Tuesday AM 4.3 miles easy (8.00 min pace)
    Tuesday PM 5 miles easy (7.45 min pace)

Wednesday 14.3 miles easy (7.42 min pace)

Thursday 4.3 miles (8.08 min pace)

Friday AM 1km (10k) 2x800m (5k), 2x400m (3k) - (3.30/2.30/1.30 rec)

Splits: 3.26, 2.37, 2.39, 77, 77

Played it sensible on Tuesday and took it really handy on the grass and seems to have done the treat after tightness in the calf after the session. By the evening I was back to normal.
    Wednesday was a little longer than originally planned, did 11 with company and was running late so grabbed bag and continued on into town. Looking back at the log no harm as it had been over a month since I did anything longer than 90 min.
    Thursday didn't get out in the evening due to work being a nightmare and was alot later than expected.

Friday morning just a leg loosener session so keeping it as easy as possible while hitting splits. Must have looked like a bit of an oddball with this stuck in my head (and pretty sure I started singing it during reps at one point) Happy enough with session as wanted to get a bit of easier turnover work done before the race on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

looking fwd to the report Myles.

Friday PM 4.1 miles easy (7.58 min pace)

Saturday AM 3.2 miles easy (8.13 min pace)
    Saturday PM 2.7 miles shakeout (9.22 min pace)

Sunday Great Ireland Run

Another week, another race. This one was unique so far this year as it was the only one that I knew there was no chance of me PB'ing in (whether or not I was in PB shape) as its my strongest PB and the course is challenging to say the least. I had said to myself during the week that a 34.3x race would be a sign that my PB will be in danger in the coming months. Walked out from town (bus in) and the wind became apparent, even the 34.30 was out the window so I would just give it a lash.

The plan was simple......... Race. I had seen the entry list and knew who was in it and knew where I would want to be for a good performance so I made those people (including a few boardsies) my targets.

3 min before the start and I was starting to get a bit nervy as I was standing just behind the lead entries with no number. TRR had done me a favour collecting it but I hadn't seen him at all :eek: Thankfully he rocked up just in time for me to do the quickest pin job of my life.

Gun went and took off like a bat out of hell. The wind was on our backs for the 1st km till we turned onto the North Road so the plan was to make sure I got myself positioned well in a fast group that I could shelter from the wind with till we got to 5k and hopefully that would have allowed me to conserve enough energy to attack the second half of the race (wind on our back up the hills) Spotted Kiely and immediately went in pursuit of him. Knew this was an aggressive move that could backfire when I saw Kiely, Pauric McKinney, StupidPrivate, a DSD lad I know and a few others I would normally not be in an asses roar of. Despite this I wasn't panicked and even when I hit the 1st km at 3.15 (my 5k pace) I didn't worry too much.

We then hit cross wind and groups started to bunch and saw watch went with the first mile split 5.15 I knew these was too fast to sustain but into the wind I thought the groups were really gonna slow and that I would get a breather to an extent. Unfortunately they kept pushing on (including Kiely) and despite a solid second mile (5.25) I was still not keeping with a solid pack as I would have hoped however did manage to work off a few athletes in and around me so I was really happy with how I was going and I wasn't working too hard to early.

3rd mile and to my Suprised KU was coming back to me. I was now a little isolated but we were coming down Kybher so had the shelter and the downhill so it didn't worry me too much as I was able to hold the pace from the last mile 5.25 and was starting to grow in confidence that I was having the run of my life.

Then I remembered why this race is challenging even on calm days as we hit the hills. Came through 5k in 16.53 which would have been perfect on a flatter course but with the wind it might have been a bit much in terms of effort for the nature of the second half of the course. Still aim was to try and hold that 34.30 if I could manage to not fall apart in the second half of the race. Ran the next mile very well and gained alot of ground on runners hitting 5.30 which I was surprised I was able to do on Military hill and the S bends despite this though lost a few places around here to a GCH and Bohermeen singlet .

The next mile was tough and I was hurting up the Upper Glen Road. Body starting to show signs of distress on the climb however for how bad I was hurting others seemed to be hurting just as bad as I didn't lose much ground and in fact possibly even reeled in the Bohermeen lad as I came through 5th mile in 5.42

I just had to navigate through the Glen and I could push on to try and take back the two places I had lost on the S bends (and put as much distance as I could between me and TRR who I was convinced was hunting me down on second half of the course given his strength)

Came out of the Glen seeing 6.10 pace on the watch (there goes the time worry anyway :rolleyes: ) and came up against the first oversight I had made all day. I thought I was over the worst of the course with 1k to go only to be faced with a stiff headwind right to the line. I dug in and tried reeling in the Bohermeen lad who in turn had caught the GCH runner. I thought of sitting behind and beating them in a kick but to be honest I wasn't sure I had a kick so just went to drive on at about 950m to go and the elation of passing them was slowly replaced by panic "where the F%&k is that 800m to go mark" after what felt like I mile I passed it and what felt like another mile down the road I could see the 400m to go mark way in the distance.

Watch beeped for 6th mile in 5.57 but it could have been a 9 min mile for all I cared as I just want the finish line to come. This is probably the one and only time I very strongly considered stopping with 400m to go in a race only for the fact that one of the women from the club was in the finishing straight at same time (I tried cheering her on if only to distract from the pain I was in) and crossed the line in.....

Finish: 36th in 34.45 official

Afterthoughts

This was arguably one of my best performances to date despite the time. Very happy with the race and the effort put into it. Definitely fills me with confidence for a flat fast race later in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

well done L - I was out running ( easy ) yesterday morning in the wind and didn't envy you lot one bit ! Savage running on that course, with that wind...sounds like you had to dig that one out, fair play to you.

• Advertisement

Monday AM 2.9 miles easy (8.17 min pace)
    Monday PM 4 miles easy (8.19 min pace)

Tuesday AM 15/10/5 min (Steady/MP/LT) 5 min jog between

Splits: 6.38 pace/6.03 pace/5.38 pace

Tuesday PM 4 miles easy (8.06 min pace)

Wednesday AM 6 miles easy (8.16 min pace)
    Wednesday PM 4.1 miles easy (7.56 min pace)

Thursday AM 2000/1600/1200/800/400 w/ 4,3,2,1 min rec

Splits: 6.46, 5.20, 3.57, 2.35, 75

Another week, Another balancing act between recovery from the last race, freshening up for the race at the weekend and still getting a bit of quality work done. Thankfully following the 10k at the weekend the body was alot better than it was after the 10 miler.

Tuesdays session was designed to be nice and handy with a bit of moderate intensity to keep the legs turning over without being too taxing. In truth the 1st half of the MP section was the only bit that felt a little bit difficult but overall a very controlled session.

Thursday's session was scaled back a bit due to the fact that I have been bumped up to the 3 mile so was a strength session but nothing too bad. Aim was to increase the paces by one second per lap and managed to do so without too much difficulty. Body was not fresh going into this and with work being done on PV pit I had to maneuver out into lane 3 each lap around the 200m mark to avoid the equipment van which when I saw it initially threw me with regards doing the session but wasn't too bad.

Sunday is gonna be interesting as I am well out of my depth with the last min changes but always good to get out and be reminded of the pecking order and where we stand in the grand scheme of things and why the hard work needs to be put into training in order to improve. Rest of the week will be nice and handy.

Advertisement