Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races - Only a few days to go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

biko wrote: »

Ah the good old days,
    When fake tan didn't exist, and cloths where a shade of white/grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

jamesieliz wrote: »
    Topaz selling tickets for Tuesday for 10 euros , if you spend at least 25 euro on petrol/diesel

I can't find any information for this online, where did you see this advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Melty wrote: »
    I can't find any information for this online, where did you see this advertised?

I spotted a notice in tooaz carnmore so its defo legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Same in Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Couldn't care less about horses I just want to get drunk. Last night was good not too packed but plenty of people around. Giving tonight and Thursday night a miss though. I do find the race week crowd to be a bit nastier and messier than usual towards the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I have to be leaving Galway on the N17 late afternoon or early evening tonight. Can someone tell me what sort of time people start to leave the course/when the road gets busy?.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have to be leaving Galway on the N17 late afternoon or early evening tonight. Can someone tell me what sort of time people start to leave the course/when the road gets busy?.

Thanks.

The last race is 7:10, so expect traffic after that.

People leaving work will be more of an issue than race-goers probably from 5 on-wards. The days of businesses shutting down for race week are well gone.

The days of businesses shutting down for race week are well gone.

I know of places closing from lunch today for the rest of the week, not as many as one time but it still happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Stocks of fake tan have run out
    PANIC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

heading up tomorrow our hotel is in salthill. what's the best way to get back to the racecourse when we leave the car at the hotel so we can have a few drinkies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

snubbleste wrote: »
    PANIC!
    Not again. Same thing happened in 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bus, or walk. Walking is probably out if you're dressed up to the nines (we're talking one and a half hours...)

Bus
    http://www.galwayraces.com/general-info/location-travel/
    Racegoers will be able to avail of a shuttle bus service from Galway City Centre to Galway Racecourse on race days.
    For further details please on to www.buseireann.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

cheers for that oh god ye dressed up to the nines!!! (not!!)

no fake tan on this lady just going for the craic, we won a competition for an overnight stay and tickets and a bottle of champagne so bring it on

snubbleste wrote: »
    PANIC!

Do you every post anything except utter nonsense?

Great day in ballybrit today and only day 3, roll on the rest of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ah heyor! Whether you love or hate the races; there's no need to be mean towards each other. That's what Real Life is for... Keep your internet civil!

biko wrote: »
    Bus, or walk. Walking is probably out if you're dressed up to the nines (we're talking one and a half hours...)

Bus
    http://www.galwayraces.com/general-info/location-travel/

Further to this - check out the following detailed page
    http://news.galwaytransport.info/2015/07/galway-races-bus-and-trains-to-ballybrit-august-2015.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GalwayPublicTransportNews+%28Galway+Public+Transport+News%29

In fairness to the Galway Races the traffic management is pretty good; GAA could learn a lesson on how it's down

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭boardbro

anywhere you can get discounts for the races on thursday or friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

heading up tomorrow our hotel is in salthill. what's the best way to get back to the racecourse when we leave the car at the hotel so we can have a few drinkies

Check with the hotel as it most likely be running a shuttle bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I know Seven Bridge St were doing a race shuttle/bubbly deal on some of the days, I'd say a few places are. Ye could cab into town from Salthill and do a pitstop.

• Advertisement

g detailedpag

In fairness to the Galway Races the traffic management is pretty good; GAA could learn a lesson on how it's down

Indeed. It was very bad a few years ago, but last yearo or two the guards had a detailed traffic management plan designed and published, with a lot of effort made to reduce opposing flows.

This year there have been a few tweaks to bus and road closure times, but the pattern is working well ad far as I can see.

There was a slight problem with an incredible number of taxis blocking Forster St yesterday evening, which jammed traffic right up to bohermore, but that's the worst I've heard of this year.

There was a slight problem with an incredible number of taxis blocking Forster St yesterday evening, which jammed traffic right up to bohermore, but that's the worst I've heard of this year.
    Ya they were blocking pedestrian crossings on Eyre Sq /Forster St as well when they were doing this. City Council should create temp ranks for them in the City Centre for busy weeks like this and the Art's festival

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

boardbro wrote: »
    anywhere you can get discounts for the races on thursday or friday?

I MIGHT have two tickets for today (Thur) but I won't know till 12. The cash will go to charity. I'll find another established Boardsie to confirm I haven't pocketed it.
    leave a message before midday if you are still looking and I'll let you know either way.

We are probably both breaking the charter btw. Sorry mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ya they were blocking pedestrian crossings on Eyre Sq /Forster St as well when they were doing this. City Council should create temp ranks for them in the City Centre for busy weeks like this and the Art's festival

I left a few years ago and that was still a problem then. They seem to just line up however they want. You'd have cars thinking they are in traffic when really the taxi in front of them has park. Chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Doesn't seem as busy as last year in town? Didn't go out though to Ballybrit.

Might go to the Omey Island races this Sunday but it looks like torrential rain will ruin it.

Busy at the course, a bit quieter in town than last year, can't wait to get back up to ballybrit again today and get on beer for the cure!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Anyone else notice a large increase in the amount of dickie bow wearers this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone else notice a large increase in the amount of dickie bow wearers this year?

That be fashionable nowadays young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Hipster paradise this week :D

• Advertisement

Are there many 50-something in Halo during RaceWeek?

http://galwaybayfm.ie/garda-appeal-following-assault-city-nightclub/

Advertisement