Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haircuts-Love them or hate them

• 23-07-2015 12:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33

Seems to be a split between people who love the idea of the fresh barber cut and lament that they can never get the same look themselves and people who hate the feeling of a fresh haircut and feel it needs a couple of days before the new cut feels right to them. Me and my mates will never get a haircut on the same day we are going out coz hate that fresh cut feel.

How about you?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i hate haircuts in general so I shave my head with a clippers

i'd love to have long hair again but i'm not going through 2 years of hell until it's shoulder length

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 elprincipito

Long hair would be sick if you can pull it off ala Jared Leto.

I think the reason I hate haircuts is coz I have a high hairline and thick wavy hair so doesn't really have that 'fresh' look people talk about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I get my mrs to shave my head every two ish weeks. I love that fresh cut feel!! MMmmmmmm spikey!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I always got my hair cut in the barbers after I went to a salon once as a teenager. The difference for me at least was that salons do style, barbers do a cut. That was great up until recently (I'm talking 20 years in between), when the last time I was at the barbers and the guy seemed more interested in styling than cutting. I think I'll have to start looking for another barber.

I know what you mean though OP, giving the hair a few days to settle. It's not something that's ever bothered me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ooh, I love a fresh haircut, I do. Number 3 blade all round and a trim on top, slightly over to my right-hand side, is my poison. Up to the age of (IIRC) 22, I had longer hair than Led Zeppelin in their heyday. In the Halcyon days of the 'Tiger I used to go to a Turkish Barber who would not only cut my hair, but set fire to my ears, and charge me €22 for it. Nowadays I go to a local woman who operates out of a small concrete shed and does the chop for a third of that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Hate it with a passion.

So much so that I cut my own hair now with a Wahl clippers I got in Argos. Number 8 on the back and sides and a number 12 on top. Small bit of non glossy Brylcreem. Side part. Done in 20 minutes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Haven't cut my hair in about 10 months... so I can't remember :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Hate it with a passion.

Not only is the queuing and inevitable small-talk irritating as hell, I despise the feeling of hair down my neck walking out and feeling like a skin-head even though my hair is only a bit shorter.

Usually I get it shorter than I like as it grows quick and I'm not in the mood for spending €10 every month on a haircut.

I actually really don't like getting my haircut and sometimes find it a rather stressful experience (I'm weird, I know!) If it weren't for the fact that my hair grows like a reverse mullet, I wouldn't bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Surprised by some of the answers here! I get mine cut every month and - aside from the queuing first - quite enjoy the fresh cut :)
    I actually don't like when it gets long so every few weeks is essential. Have had the same cut for over a decade too.

Dunno about the small talk either.. most barbers I've been in are like morgues :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Haven't cut my hair in about 10 months... so I can't remember :pac:

Ughh. Can't stand my hair getting long. And since I've started to go grey it sticks out horribly at the sides. Have to get it cut every six weeks or so. Got it done today and it feels great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I like it short. No maintenance, just some product so it looks neat.

I get the point about the queues though, if I'm not in the barbers by 9.30am on a saturday morning, I'll leave it for another week. No queue, maybe one person ahead at most & free tea or coffee.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

It bothers me when a barber doesn't ask whether you want product in your hair or not. I hate hairgel and prefer to not wear it, however sometimes I'm not paying attention and the barber just proceeds to do it.

Somewhat generic.. I've been in many hairdressers where they'd often just put gel in without asking. I can't think of specific ones offhand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

It doesn't matter what you ask for anymore because every cut will end up as this.

I've lost my faith in barbers.

afd8ef468fec810a8cf6d76c96be0217.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭Nom De Guerre

I just feel self-conscious starring at myself in the mirror for 15 minutes.

The small talk too is a load of sh*te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Love the feeling after a haircut. My hair grows way too fast and end up getting it cut every two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I hate having my hair long which is funny because it used to be down past my shoulders at one point.

Tend to get my hair cut during the week as queues are non-existent. Awkward chit-chat aside, I quite like getting my hair cut. I really like that fresh cut feeling.

Don't get anything done too fancy. 2 on the back and sides and a short trim on top. Small bit of product to make it look neat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Love getting my hair cut :)

I got on a bus yesterday and found it hilarious when there was a couple of teenager - early 20s guys all with the exact same haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

I get a haircut every two months.
    Blade 2 on the back and sides and trim on top.
    I use a fine comb and wet look gel to part my hair at the side and slick it across and back.
    When the sides grow I slick them back over my ears.
    When my hair goes grey at the temples I want a Paulie Walnuts hairstyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I find haircuts a real chore, so much so at one stage I left it grow long. But that turned out to be even more work with all the combing, because knots are not fun. These days I can go a month or so between cuts, usually wait till I start waking up with bad bed head that no amount of concrete could keep down that I decide its time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I wait 6 weeks between cuts. Don't like the waiting or the chit chat. Because I work late it has to be weekends. Walking into ten people ahead is horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I'm terrified of getting my haircut. Had a bad experience when I was a kid.

When it's done I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i get insane bed head, so when i dont cut it for a month there are 4 inch towers all over my head first thing in the morning, ive had to run it under a hot shower every morning for the last 10+ years, makes it way more manageable, annoying as hell but if it works,

every month or so i get it trimmed back, but i love getting a nice cut in the barbers, cut to the edges and a trim on top to keep some length in it overall, always like when they take out the cutthroat to do the edges and maybe a rough scissors cuts on top to add a bit of mess, bounced around a bunch of barbers the last few years, but have finally settled in one place,

im **** for styling though, and i hate heavy wax and gels so use a small amount of styling paste for shape, but the shape doesnt hold to well, i can use more but i dont like the concrete feel i get from it being locked in place, i had short hair for 10-15 years, have only added some length the last year or so,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Haven't paid for a haircut since 1999.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Miley30

I got on a bus yesterday and found it hilarious when there was a couple of teenager - early 20s guys all with the exact same haircut.

Let me guess, was it the Conor McGregor cut ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I get my hair cut once a month usually. I like the fresh cut feel, as long as it's not cut too short!

I call it the 'Nandos'

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

Some kids slick the hair back from the forehead and others part it at the side.

I am convinced the tracksuit is going be replaced by the suit.

Any day now...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Love them. One of my favourite things. My girlfriend thinks I'm obsessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Love 'em
    Nothing like it in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

I hate getting haircuts and get stressed out going to the barbers.

I never come out looking how I want, I cannot seem to get across the way I want my hair to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

I hate having to make conversation with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

I find nothing appealing at all about having someone cut my hair, it's definitely a nuisance. Owning a decent clippers & a mirror is definitely the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Get mine shaved every 3 weeks, tried it myself once and made a hames of it so leave it to the professionals now.

It's only the price of 2 pints anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My hair is naturally curly so it's hard to style it without it looking over the top.
    I get it cut every couple of weeks or months.
    If I'm attending an event I normal get my hair cut about a week in advance so it has time to settle. (I know)
    Generally don't talk to the barber. He knows I'm not up for chit chat and is cool about it.

How much do yer haircuts cost ye?

Mine is about 10 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

How much do yer haircuts cost ye?

Mine is about 10 quid.

The place I go upped their price about 4 months from 14 to 16 quid! It's expensive, but it's close to home and they do a decent cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Get a fresh cut every 4 weeks and love it. In fact, I would love to go every week. Pay €10.50 in Lucan and it's done by EE or Asian girls and I find them very good, with excellent precision, something I've never had from an Irish male barber (sorry if that's a generalisation!). They used to have a stamp card system, go 5 times and have the next one free (so about €8.50 per go if you take that into account) but unfortunately they stopped that. Still going there though as they are the best by a mile in this area

I got stitched up by a new barber a few months back.

Hungover to f*ck, I was probably still half cut, and an 8 euro dry cut turned into a 25 euro re-styling and wash/dry, and he managed to trick into a tub of product for another 15 notes

The bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Love getting a haircut. Have had good experiences in The Waldorf, and Style Club on North Earl Street, South William Street and especially the Style Club Barbers in Pavilions Swords. Sam's Barbers was pretty good too.

In fairness, €15-€20 isn't that much to pay when a good haircut makes such a difference and lasts anything from 4-8 weeks. Only works out a few quid a week to look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Love getting a haircut. Have had good experiences in The Waldorf, and Style Club on North Earl Street, South William Street and especially the Style Club Barbers in Pavilions Swords. Sam's Barbers was pretty good too.

In fairness, €15-€20 isn't that much to pay when a good haircut makes such a difference and lasts anything from 4-8 weeks. Only works out a few quid a week to look good.

The Waldorf is about 40 quid, is it not?

Sometimes i get the hot towel shave along with the haircut, expensive but feels great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

4-8 weeks?
    I get my hair done every 2 weeks! I start to feel scruffy otherwise ha.

4 - 8 months here ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement