Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - mousemate

Options
  • 23-07-2015 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Ok, i'll try and stay to the point. Moved into a buidling last february with 3 rooms and a kitchen, rooms are leased seperately by management.When I moved in there was a couple in 1 room and the other was empty. 3 weeks after moving in a Polish guy moves into the remaining room. He seems a bit wired but nothing more. Eventually it transpires he is a drug dealer and blatantly sells in the area and boasts about his wads of cash. The house has been raided by the guards twice since he moved in but he doesnt keep it in his room, he hides it in the locale but ive never seen where. Soon after the other couple moved out and I got my 2 friends who are a couple to take the room. Things were ok at first but the Polish guys behaviour has really deteriorated to the point he comes back drunk and high and plays music and talks absolute ****e all night and keeps everyone awake. If you confront him he becomes aggressive and threatening. Things really came to a head 3 nights ago when, upon being confronted he threatened to kill my mate. We have complained over and over again to management who we blame for not vetting this lunatic and giving him a 10 month lease up front. We have gone to the garda but they can only do something if we make statements and do it officially which the guy will then find out about and we wouldnt put it past him to torch the place or destroy it. The guy is a sociopath, he constantly talks to himself, completely delusional, has been to prison before for assault and being a dealer most likely has a weapon of some sort so basically we are scared ****less, the tension in the house is destroying any sort of living standard.

Im at a complete loss now as of what to do. Is it really just a case of holding on till his lease is up if we survive that long?

Management are complete loo la's and are incompetant beyond belief. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Move out.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

+1....pack your bags, I wouldn't stay there with that nutjob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

You spoken to the management company, made it clear there is a problem that needs addressing, they have failed to do so. Send them a letter detailing all this and announcing your intention to leave and terminate the lease then get out of there. The guy is threatening you and suffering from delusions. I wouldn't spend another night there if it was at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lucasmaximus

Moving out is really not desirable, the place is so nice and we put a lot of time and money into decorating it. It as also cheap and considering im starting college in september, compounded with the current inflated market really makes this a last resort.

• Advertisement

Moving out is really not desirable, the place is so nice and we put a lot of time and money into decorating it. It as also cheap and considering im starting college in september, compounded with the current inflated market really makes this a last resort.

You can try to convince the agent that they need to evict the lad on grounds of anti-social behaviour, or you can move out.

Keep in mind the first is a hell of a lot harder than the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

If the landlord refuses to do anything about it then it's really your only option. There is a chance that if you and the other couple in the house threaten to leave at the same time and state the other tenants behaviour as the reason the landlord might offer to kick him out if you stay. Replacing one tenant is easier than replacing three. But if the landlord isn't bothered then there is nothing you can do other than move out or put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Is there a landlord involved with this? Even if the management company are a joke the landlord would surely be interested in knowing that there is an anti-social, abusive drug dealer residing in his property. Failure of a landlord to deal with their tenants anti-social behaviour can in some circumstances have legal implications for the landlord if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Contact the management company in writing be very firm with them that the guy has got to go asap and certainly within the next 2-3 days at the very outside. You have tried this already with little progress by the sounds of it.

Your entitled to the amenity of the property, your rights are being infringed by this character the management company is doing nothing. For me at least no matter now nice the place is, I'd move out.

If you are still under contract I am sure you could break the lease if the management company failed to take action but be sure to seek professional independent advice (not here) before you do so and get out of the place fast. Yes its a pain in the neck to move but so is being stabbed.

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    Contact the management company in writing be very firm with them that the guy has got to go asap and certainly within the next 2-3 days at the very outside. You have tried this already with little progress by the sounds of it.

Your entitled to the amenity of the property, your rights are being infringed by this character the management company is doing nothing. For me at least no matter now nice the place is, I'd move out.

If you are still under contract I am sure you could break the lease if the management company failed to take action but be sure to seek professional independent advice (not here) before you do so and get out of the place fast. Yes its a pain in the neck to move but so is being stabbed.

2-3 days is an illegal notice period. 7 days is the lowest they can give for the type of anti-social behaviour. I have already mentioned this would be difficult as they would need to have fairly good records of the incidents to support their case. Otherwise they leave themselves open to a case in the PRTB.

They will understandably want a lot of documented evidence before they proceed with issuing notice under that term of the RTA. It's easier for the OP to move, as you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well then be prepared that your drug dealing housemate is going to ok apesh** when either your Garda complaint comes to fruition or the management/landlord move to evict them.
    That is the only way you are going to get him out and option 2 is not panning out at the moment, now is it?

Either way he will blame you guys for trying to get him out and take it out on you.

The place may look nice, but it is not nice due to all the reasons you have outlined above.
    And trust me you won't be able to study there.
    Get out to save your sanity and probably a trip to A&E.

Also piece of advice long term.
    Do not put money, effort and time into decorating someone else's property.
    Fine if you have been there a while, not couple of months as in your case, or if you have real long term leases as in other countries.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Eventually it transpires he is a drug dealer and blatantly sells in the area and boasts about his wads of cash. The house has been raided by the guards twice since he moved in
    I hope you informed the landlord about the continuing Garda raids, and how you feel uncomfortable with him in the house as you constantly fear Garda raids... and that you want your deposit, as you plan on moving.

From the sounds of it, he'll wreck your house before he leaves, and wreck you after he leaves. Doesn't seem the Gardai can touch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Your best option is to leave. The last thing you want is some unstable violent criminal to hold a grudge against you and there is no way you can get him removed from the house without him knowing it was you.

You're just renting, it's not like you've got a mortgage. Give your notice to the landlord, get your deposit back and leave as soon as you can find somewhere else to live. (oh, and bring your friends with you)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AiAiAi

Are you kidding ?

It is only bricks and mortar ! So what if it looks nice.

A Polish drug dealer who gets the house raided, talks to himself, comes back drunk and keeps you up all night and threatened to kill one of your mates

Take a step back and look at the situation

Who cares if the place is nice or not - you're about to start college this will not be the last house you're going to rent in your lifetime

This will not be the last NICE house you're going to rent

Stick around and wait for this to escalate and it could well be your last house - what if this lad flips out completely ?

Do not make an enemy of this lunatic or you'll reap the rewards

Just move out, get away from him and count your blessings you made it away in one piece

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you want to stick around while the management company evict him, and you are hoping that he won't blame you for their actions and wreck havoc on his way out of the place? You really think this is possible? Really????

The only way this will end well is if he goes to prison and gets moved out as a result or you move out.

Any other option will turn nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Eviction can take up to a year. And I doubt that this is his first time through the circus. Move out.

Advertisement