Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CGI is destroying movies

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

it is a great point alright, we only criticise it when the film is bad, they had the social network in there, i cant remember what film it was compared it to, but it was a fairly heavy CGI blockbuster, and they said that the social network had more CGI shots that the blockbuster film,

you had the winklevos twins where if they were both on screen together, one was CGI, they werent allowed film at harvard where zuckerberg went to college, so had to use CGI to make the grounds of the university of southern california look like harvard,

that is probably one film i would definitely point to for CGI done great

looking at that video its just crazy how you really dont know what your looking at, it must be very strange for actors when they see the final film, they probably have an idea obviously cause they are told what they have to react to, and how to react to it, but actually seeing it must be weird,

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

don ramo wrote: »
    it is a great point alright, we only criticise it when the film is bad, they had the social network in there, i cant remember what film it was compared it to, but it was a fairly heavy CGI blockbuster, and they said that the social network had more CGI shots that the blockbuster film,

It was The Dark Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

The use of CGI is often pretty lazy, the phrase 'feck it, we'll fix it in post' didn't really exist until the advent of CGI. It allows terrible directors to get away with an awful lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I forget that so many of Finchers films have lots and lots of CG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Yeah Zodiac was one I was always surprised at how much CG it had in it

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Wedwood wrote: »
    CGI landscapes are just the evolution of Matte plates, so don't see what the issue is there. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a good example of where CGI was used well to make a previously unfilmable epic story.

I would completely agree with you for LoTR, but I would also suggest that The Hobbit trilogy is a fine example of how bad CGI can really spoil a movie and distract the audience away from the good points of the film.
    All you have to do is to look at Bolg pre-CGI and post-CGI to see what an utter balls they made of what could have been a really brilliant character - he looks MUCH better pre-CGI and I find that so disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

The new Star Wars movie looks like the perfect mix of live action and CGI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The new Star Wars movie looks like the perfect mix of live action and CGI.

Yoda better be a puppet or I'm walking.

Yoda better be a puppet or I'm walking.

Not in it, Afraid I am.

• Advertisement

Not in it, Afraid I am.

My contacts say he will make an apperance.

In Jedi Ghost form? Definitely won't be a puppet then.

In Jedi Ghost form? Definitely won't be a puppet then.

ROTJ Yoda was a puppet even though he was dead, he just had about 30% transparancy and a bit of movie sparkles added, still beats the horrible yoke from the last 3 films.

ROTJ Yoda was a puppet even though he was dead, he just had about 30% transparancy and a bit of movie sparkles added, still beats the horrible yoke from the last 3 films.
    Agreed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Kershner put Empire over-schedule and over-budget trying to make the puppet act. Abrams likes practical effects but not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

In fairness to Abrams, none of the aliens in star trek (except for that giant monster thing on Delta Vega) were CGI. I hope the new films won't be too CGI heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Speaking of Star Wars, I found the prequels have aged absolutely horrendously and look incredibly cheap and sterile, a complete over-saturation of the tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

SarahBM wrote: »
    In fairness to Abrams, none of the aliens in star trek (except for that giant monster thing on Delta Vega) were CGI. I hope the new films won't be too CGI heavy.

There have been some background stills floating around that clearly show people in "alien" costume. But practical costumes, appliances, masks etc.

AFAIK, there's definitely one semi major CGI character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Watching Videodrome tonight I was struck by how the Rick Baker effects would almost certainly now be done with CGI for the most part which would be a shame - the throbbing VCRs, bulging tv screen into which Max Payne pokes his head, the hand gun and hand grenade scenes, the bubbling squelchy death of one of the protagonists would be robbed of their icky tactile power.

Advertisement