Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Pick up Dublin Airport?

Options
  • 23-07-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, first post please be gentle.

I live in the UK and am driving over to Ireland in August. However, I need to meet a musician flying into Dublin airport at around 16.30 hours then drive them to Clare asap for a festival.

Time is a bit tight as we need to get to the festival fairly quick. Am I best just driving to the airport and paying to park in short stay then collect and drive straight out (presumeably I also need to be aware of the M50 toll).

or is he better jumping on a bus or getting a taxi to simple point to meet away from the airport? If so where/suggestions.

Any other ideas? (the bus to Limerick does not fit into the schedule time wise unfortunately)

Many thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The M50 toll is freeflow so won't cause a time delay.

Short stay and grab him is the best option, as you'll know where your car is but he may not know the taxi queuing system, driver may not be able to find your neutral venue, etc, etc.

Does your musician have to fly to Dublin when the festival is in Clare, though? Shannon would be far closer, if its an option at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gav8868

Have you thought about getting him to fly to Shannon Airport it would save much more time

• Registered Users Posts: 5 farfrae

Thanks both; no flights from his airport to Shannon and flight already booked.

Short stay and collect seems favourite but just thought someone local might have a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭allybhoy

You could try temporarily parking at departures set down and have him meet you there for when you arrive which would save you parking the car and paying for it but you wouldnt want to be too long as its set down only and if he doesnt know his way to departures (different level) it might just be easier to arrive early and park in short term car park and meet him at the arrivals gate

allybhoy wrote: »
    You could try temporarily parking at departures set down and have him meet you there for when you arrive which would save you parking the car and paying for it but you wouldnt want to be too long as its set down only and if he doesnt know his way to departures (different level) it might just be easier to arrive early and park in short term car park and meet him at the arrivals gate

Unless you're able to time your arrival to his to the minute and don't mind arguing with airport police, this isn't really workable...

Short term is right beside the terminals - make sure to go to the right one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Park in the OMNI shopping centre car park for free.
    Get him to text you when he has come into the arrivals hall. You leave OMNI.

He should then walk out of arrivals and around to his left where if he keeps walking past the last bus stop you can pick him up. By the time you have got there from OMNI, he will be clear of the crowds and easy to pick up. No parking charges and quickest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just for info, theres 2 terminals and each has a different car park "attached", so you'd need to know their flight/ terminal they arrive into.

Aerlingus is the new T2 and Ryanair use T1 which between them covers 90% of flights in and out of Dublin !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless you're able to time your arrival to his to the minute and don't mind arguing with airport police, this isn't really workable...

Short term is right beside the terminals - make sure to go to the right one.

I park at the layby on the old airport road. Get a text when a person has their bag and are leaving baggage hall. T1 or T2, get them to head to departures level, leave the airport building and turn left, walk to the very end. It's always quieter down the far end. I pull up and they hop in. Very unlikely for the Airport Police to move you on unless they;re both incredibly busy and hanging around for 10mins +

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

IF you really need to get this guy and move as quickly as possible, then park in the short term parking for the appropriate terminal, meet him as he leaves arrivals and rush him to the car. This leaves no room for misunderstandings or misdirections. Then its out of the airport and take a right on the M50. This is a free flow motorway BUT YOU MUST pay the toll before the next day, this can be done on the net or in a store.

You need to check which part of Clare you are going to, you might find it faster going towards Limerick or Galway depending on your destination.

Danbo! wrote: »
    I park at the layby on the old airport road. Get a text when a person has their bag and are leaving baggage hall. T1 or T2, get them to head to departures level, leave the airport building and turn left, walk to the very end. It's always quieter down the far end. I pull up and they hop in. Very unlikely for the Airport Police to move you on unless they;re both incredibly busy and hanging around for 10mins +

Neither the driver nor the passenger knows the airport or the roads. An attempt to save 3 quid could go horribly wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 farfrae

Thanks all, looks like it is short stay then straight out. I have driven to the airport before to return a hire car but agree that busy airports are difficult if you don't know them.

Having said that I've just checked the airport website and there are height restrictions (as below) on the short stay. I'm driving a VW camper which is a fraction over 2.0m He is arriving on Aer Lingus (Terminal 2) So am limited in what I can use.

Any idea how full these car parks get?

Terminal 1 Short-Term Car Park C

• 1,500 multi-storey spaces located next to Terminal 1.
    • Recommended for short term parking for Terminal 1 and long stay parking for both terminals.
    • 2-4 minute walk to Terminal 1 (6-8 minute walk to Terminal 2)
    • The height restriction in Terminal 1 Short Term C is 1.85 metres.
    • The GPS Coordinates are 53.42891, -6.24254

Terminal 2 Short-Term Car Park

• 950 multi-storey spaces located next to Terminal 2.
    • Recommended for short term parking for Terminal 2.
    • 2-4 minute walk via a covered walkway to Terminal 2.
    • The height restriction in the Terminal 2 Short Term car park is 2.1 metres.
    • The GPS Coordinates are 53.42700, -6.23885

Terminal 2 Surface Car Park

• 250 spaces with easy access to both terminals.
    • 5-6 minute walk to both terminals.
    • No height restriction.
    • The GPS Coordinates are 53.42740, -6.24140

Short-Term Car Park A

• 400 spaces with easy access to both terminals.
    • 2-4 minute walk to both terminals.
    • The height restriction in Short Term A is 1.85 metres.
    • The GPS Coordinates are 53.42740, -6.24140

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

farfrae wrote: »
    Thanks both; no flights from his airport to Shannon and flight already booked.

Short stay and collect seems favourite but just thought someone local might have a better idea.

I know a good spot but unless you are both familiar with the airport you would not be in sync.

Terminal 2 short stay carpark and meet at arrivals is best bet....less than 5 min walk back to car from Arrivals area.
    DUB does not have an area to park and wait. In addition Arrivals are on the first floor, Airport Police can be very quick to move cars on. And meeting in Bus park is a 10-15 walk from arrivals

Advertisement