Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place to live working near St. Stephen's Green?

Options
  • 23-07-2015 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi, folks,

If things go well, I might be getting a job with a company in the St. Stephen's Green area in the near future. Haven't lived in Dublin before, I'm afraid, so I don't know much about the different neighborhoods.

My budget for rent would be about 1600 euro a month, though I could be a bit flexible if necessary. Definitely want a proper one-bedroom place at least (not a bedsit), and a two bedroom would be nice. I'd need a parking space as well; I've noticed that there are some areas where they seem to be quite rare. I'd prefer a safe, quiet neighborhood, no more than half an hour's commute (on average) to St. Stephen's Green by car (the closer, the better, though; certainly wouldn't mind being within walking distance of work). Don't much care about night life, but having basic shopping nearby (groceries, etc.) and a nice quiet pub or two would be nice.

Any suggestions for some neighborhoods to consider? Obviously I'm a ways out from actually renting a place (even if the job works out, I still need a work permit issued, etc.), so not looking at specific rentals yet, but I'd like to get an idea of the options that are out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You have lots of options given your budget, really depends what you're looking for in terms of amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Anywhere along the Green luas line would be ideal. Look at Apartments in Dundrum, 15 minutes luas to Stephen's Green and most apartments are very modern with an underground parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think if you're moving to the city for the first time moving to somewhere like Dundrum might hinder you socially. Rathmines and Ranalagh are younger, more vibrant neighbourhoods and you can walk to work. Dundrum is grand if you're settled, but if you want to meet people it might be a bit too suburban.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

I'd also look at Portobello. It's a wonderful area with lovely cafes, pubs and shops and is mostly really quiet even though it's really central. Stephen's Green is 10 mins away on foot.

As mentioned, depends on whether you want to live in suburbia or not. Dundrum is a great suburb if that's the lifestyle you're looking for. For a first timer to Dublin if you don't have a family and want to be withint walking distance to most things, I'd be more inclined to suggest Portobello, Rathmines, Ranelagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Dundrum definitely seems pretty "suburban sprawl." Kind of like where I live now, actually, but I think I'd like something a bit more in town and unique.

I do like the look of the Ranelagh/Rathmines area; nice little business districts of their own and very close to the city center as well. From a quick peek at daft, looks like there are a reasonable number of places with parking there, as well.

Any particular streets/spots in that area to avoid (safety/noise wise) when looking for a place?

• Advertisement
Advertisement