Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table bombs

Options
  • 23-07-2015 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone has seen such thing as a "table bomb" in Ireland. They're popular on the continent for parties. You light the fuse at the bottom, and the cylinder bangs, pops open, and out fly confetti, streamers, balloons and whatnot.

They could make for amusing centrepieces and as I'm flying home in September for my own "big day", I'm on the lookout. Unfortunately, airlines won't carry them, as they're "class 1" fireworks (import is however allowed).

I see they're available in the UK - but no joy in finding them in Ireland yet.

tablefireworks-dot-co-uk has some images (I've too few posts to post the photo, sorry)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

I must save I haven't seen them in Ireland Id say they would call them confetti bombs.. Ill take a look there and see for you

Ah it think it was this place I was thinking off https://confettisolutions.com/index.php/shop/ they might be worth emailing..

I did come across another place that had confetti bazooka you could try this gang too http://www.confettisolutions.com/Confetti_Streamers.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Instinctively, I'd wonder if a venue would allow them. They're a massive fire hazard, I'd imagine.

meant to note that too, sorry one of those days. You would probably want to check with the venue as even confetti is kinda not wanted in a lot of venues also. It is a pain to clean up and some stain and all that stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Indoor fireworks, brilliant idea, what could possibly go wrong?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 aperocot

Hah. They're really harmless - a bit of a bang and that's it. No fire hazard - Very common at young kids' birthday parties here. My venue in Ireland has no problem with them either... Would be filling them ourselves with stuff other than traditional confetti anyhow.

Just a matter of finding them. Thanks for the leads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

aperocot wrote: »
    Hah. They're really harmless - a bit of a bang and that's it. No fire hazard - Very common at young kids' birthday parties here. My venue in Ireland has no problem with them either... Would be filling them ourselves with stuff other than traditional confetti anyhow.

Just a matter of finding them. Thanks for the leads.

Unless the bits of paper flutter towards an open flame. I don't know about your venue, but mine has large candelabras on each table, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I don't mean to be annoying but are you sure these are a good idea? Would they not flutter into people's food & drink?

Once you've seen them in action, you'd know this isn't a risk. They tend to be filled small items, like balloons, packaged streamers, etc. - never loose confetti. The force is negligible and I've been to enough children's birthday parties to know these things are safe. Classified with caps and sparklers.

Confetti bombs are different to table bombs. I have no interest in confetti! Nasty, horrible stuff!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Could you use Parcel Motel and get it sent to Northern Ireland?

• Advertisement

Ah that would be a good Idea parcel motel is a gem to use... I know sometimes they loose things but it is once in a blue moon or thinking if you wanted they cheaper would ali express have them and you could ship to parcel motel also...

Think they sound like great fun not sure why the negative responses I think though tis when you say a bomb or mention that it is sparkler related people go ohhhh... After seeing kids in Holland last year setting off fireworks and bangers i am no longer scared of them once done properly... couldn't believe these little kids with bangers as such i was thinking this surely cant end well but they were fine.. all i suppose what you are brought up with

Toots wrote: »
    Could you use Parcel Motel and get it sent to Northern Ireland?

https://parcelmotel.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203025382-Items-not-acceptable-for-delivery-via-parcel-motel-Prohibited-Items- If they're classed as fireworks they won't accept them

Had a look - they're sold in the UK specifically as wedding decoration - allays concern some of you had about safety. But even the places in the UK that sell them, will only send to the mainland. Back to the drawing board. I'll get by without.

Are you certain nowhere in Northern Ireland sell them? Or could you take them on a ferry?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Jaysus I googled "table bomb northern ireland" and the results I got had nothing to do with parties :(

From what I can see there seem to be about 6 big party suppliers in the north that actually have websites, and none of them seem to do them. Would it be worth your while actually phoning some of the party suppliers in Ireland and seeing do they do them, even if they don't have them on the website? They may be able to tell you if they know somewhere that does.

I've done a few google searches but "table bomb" "confetti bomb", "ireland" or "northern Ireland", unsurprisingly only refers to the troubles!

The Dept of Justice website refers to them specifically as an item, but that's probably just in deference to an EU standard. I COULD get them there by ferry, but alas I don't have the time for it. Some friends are travelling there by ferry across the UK, but getting import licences for both UK and Ireland are well beyond the things return on investment :)

I've done a few google searches but "table bomb" "confetti bomb", "ireland" or "northern Ireland", unsurprisingly only refers to the troubles!

The Dept of Justice website refers to them specifically as an item, but that's probably just in deference to an EU standard. I COULD get them there by ferry, but alas I don't have the time for it. Some friends are travelling there by ferry across the UK, but getting import licences for both UK and Ireland are well beyond the things return on investment :)

@toots - our posts just crossed there. Same google hits indeed! I'm going to try phoning around next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

aperocot wrote: »
    Had a look - they're sold in the UK specifically as wedding decoration - allays concern some of you had about safety. But even the places in the UK that sell them, will only send to the mainland. Back to the drawing board. I'll get by without.

The reason they can't leave the mainland is likely because there is a small bit of gunpowder for the pop, classifying them as fireworks ( no matter how basic) and therefore can't go on a plane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

If they are classed as fireworks it is illegal to import or use them without a licence.

MouseTail wrote: »
    If they are classed as fireworks it is illegal to import or use them without a licence.

I've already clarified that with the Dept of Justice, and if I sourced them I would import them legally. But of course, my original hope was finding them in the republic.

• Advertisement

Might be a long shot but by any chance would the department know of anywhere that sold them?

Advertisement