Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mash Tun Drain Methods

Options
  • 23-07-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi, I've purchased a cooler box and am going to convert it to a mash tun. My question is basically what's the best way to drain the wort. I've seen different techniques and I'm not sure which is best, I've seen circular false bottoms in the cooler box, S/S braded hose in singular and looped format, copper or pvc manifold. Any help as to which is best to use ? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I have a rectangular cooler so I use a copper manifold with a tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

I also have a rectangular cooler and use a copper manifold with tap.
    You can get all the bits to make it in your local DIY store.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Good stuff, that was the route I was going to go down. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Still havnt got around to making a manifold so using biab inside the mash tun, a little finiky but works well.

Just be aware that you will have decreased efficiency using the BIAB method.
    So you may not hit the OG you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If the bag is used in a mash tun just to remove the grain, I don't see how the efficiency will be decreased, assuming the same amount of water and grain is used as would be with a manifold.

Well with BIAB I assume you are just lifting the bag of grains out of the water and thats it.
    With a manifold or braid or false bottom, you are slowing draining the wort, slowing draining the sugars from the grains.
    If you drain faster like with BIAB or if you open the tap for manifold fully you dont get as much sugar from the grains.So thats where the difference in efficency comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah my efficiency has gone through the roof since I switched

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

neoanto wrote: »
    Just be aware that you will have decreased efficiency using the BIAB method.
    So you may not hit the OG you're looking for.

Ah yea its just a stop gap untill I find the time to get do the mash tun properly, plus it fairly easily adjusted for, plenty of calculators online for it.

Advertisement