Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin's new HRM that working during swims

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Kander wrote: »
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod136403.html

Cos we all love numbers :D How's getting it first!

How does it stay in place when swimming hard? Or when tumble turning??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My Suunto works when I swim. It works really well under a wet suit but admittedly if I'm swimming skins I've to not push too hard (no problem there:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Problem with HR and swimming for most here.

How do you get your heart rate up? Swim harder? Or let your technique slip and your turnover increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Is HR really of value for swimming? Personally I wouldn't have thought so.

If you want to check it use the pool clock and check your pulse. Simples

pgibbo wrote: »
    Is HR really of value for swimming? Personally I wouldn't have thought so.

If you want to check it use the pool clock and check your pulse. Simples

"yes darren"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Funnily enough that is the method the national high performance swim squad go by too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

from what i read, it stores the values and transmits them post swim, not in real time, as it still can't transmit through water

what use is that? it's not telling you that you are working too hard, just that you were. it's only going to confirm post swim what you were judging yourself during the swim

mossym wrote: »
    from what i read, it stores the values and transmits them post swim, not in real time, as it still can't transmit through water

what use is that? it's not telling you that you are working too hard, just that you were. it's only going to confirm post swim what you were judging yourself during the swim

Same use and reason have the cycling board have power meters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »
    Same use and reason have the cycling board have power meters

well feck it if it only measures the beats the left side of your body is using it's even less use than i thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

mossym wrote: »

if you are inclined to us hr you would still get value out of that
    ie like many athletes tape of powemeter display during the race to analyze afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've used it in the pool with the polar, as Peter says, to analyse afterwards really.
    Can read your HR off the watch while in the pool.
    Similarly to using on the bike and the run it can help to show why your session might have been poor or when you might be getting sick etc
    We don't train with HR really in the pool so don't know what we should be at for certain types of session the way we do on bike and run

Advertisement