Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of timer on storage heater

Options
  • 23-07-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Anybody got any advice on changing a timer on a storage heater. The old one is an analog Horstmann E7 Quartz analog and I'm trying to replace it with a digital channel plus H17XL series 2. However, the wires don't seem to correlate.

Old one had 1- Live, 2- Neutral, 3- Heater Neutral, 4- boost load, 5- off peak load

New one just has: socket for L and N and then sockets numbered 4,5 and 6.

Anyone got any idea where the wires might go?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Is the timer directly controlling your storage heater or is a contractor pulled in by the timer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 carlos11

Is the timer directly controlling your storage heater or is a contractor pulled in by the timer?

Thanks for the reply. 2 Wires run directly from the tank into the box. Is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Sounds like the E7 is on a water tank with 2 elements , rather than a storage
    heater

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Im with solar gain it sounds like you might have something mixed up. does your storage heating not just come on at night? do you have a dual tariff esb meter?

carlos11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. 2 Wires run directly from the tank into the box. Is that what you mean?

Tank? I thought your original post mentioned a storage heater?
    Anybody got any advice on changing a timer on a storage heater

Regardless of that, the reason I asked is that the timer you mentioned is only rated for 1A (according to an online datasheet anyway), unlike the E7 which I think is rated for 13A.

I doubt it is a suitable replacement if it is switching the full load.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I'm clearly an amateur at this and just moved in to the place.

The tank was fixed to heat at night. It's got two elements (one for boost and one for storage?). The only label I can see is "thermtec gold". It was previously just set to come on at night for about 6-7 hours in total.

Any of this make sense????

OK,

your original timer Quartz E7

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/files/1213/9867/2106/installer_guide_economy_7_quartz_E7Q.pdf

it is designed to control the heating of water in a cylinder using night rate electricity, with a boost function that can be wired to a second element.
    It has a pair of contacts that are capable of switching 13A so can directly switch an element on and off

Your new timer

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/files/7713/9867/2106/installer_guide_H11-17XL-ISeries21.pdf

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/files/8613/9867/2077/data_sheet_ChannelPlusXLSeries2021.pdf

is primarily designed to control a boiler, and has a single switching contact rated at just 3A.

So you cannot directly replace your old timer with the new one.
    (It could be made control one element if you used a contactor, but it's not worthwhile and certainly not something you should attempt)

Considering the much lower current rating of the H17XL timer, you are very lucky that you couldn't connect it up.

In short, the timer you bought isn't suitable. You need to get another timer similar to the E7 you removed.

Was the old one faulty?

Thanks for that- very helpful.

I don't think the E7 was faulty itself. The reason I wanted to replace it might sound a bit daft but the E7 has a clock face on it that ticks every second, loudly. The boiler room is beside my bedroom and the timer was on the wall adjacent to my bed. Hence, it was keeping me awake (I'm clearly a light sleeper and would rather not use earplugs).

Hence, I thought that a digital timer would be a good solution, rather than playing around with insulation.

Do you know by any chance if there is a digital equivalent of the E7 or am I stuck with an analogue clock?

Any other suggestions more than welcome!

Thanks again

Great, thanks. I'll give it a go.

Appreciate all the advice.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement