Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investing on behalf of a child

Options
  • 23-07-2015 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm currently gifting my young child 3k per year (the tax free gift threshold), which I hope to continue for years to come - all being well. The savings (An post & bank) are held in his name. However, taking the longer term view on this, I'd like to invest in something other than a very low return deposit account.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to invest money in funds etc. other than deposit accounts that are held in my son's name? So far, I've been told that for a fund to be in his name, he must be 18.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

I set up a rabobank account for my toddler (only to lodge a cheque in his name). I requested a complementary investment account to match the savings account. I had no trouble buying funds in his name. This might be an option, esp some of their low cost index tracker type products

Advertisement