Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had Eircom out to install a phone line

Options
  • 23-07-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,402 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, had done the above as couldn't see any evidence of a phone line anywhere in the apt.

Engineer arrived from kpn looking for the phone line in the apt which confused me as I thought I'd said there wasn't one.

Anyway, in the basement of the apt, there's an eircom box with lines moving from the box to all apps but still no idea where it is in the apt. Must be buried under the floorboards.

Engineer said he could not do anything else. Is there more he could or should have done?

Put in a new line? Use a cable finder to find where the current one is buried? Very frustrating to take a morning off for this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

noodler wrote: »
    Hey all, had done the above as couldn't see any evidence of a phone line anywhere in the apt.

Engineer arrived from kpn looking for the phone line in the apt which confused me as I thought I'd said there wasn't one.

Anyway, in the basement of the apt, there's an eircom box with lines moving from the box to all apps but still no idea where it is in the apt. Must be buried under the floorboards.

Engineer said he could not do anything else. Is there more he could or should have done?

Put in a new line? Use a cable finder to find where the current one is buried? Very frustrating to take a morning off for this.

It's not the techs responsibility beyond the DP (distribution point) in the basement. It's up to the owner to locate the cable wherever it is. They will then install it using that cable if it's up to the job, if not it's up to the owner to get an electrician to run a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,402 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's not the techs responsibility beyond the DP (distribution point) in the basement. It's up to the owner to locate the cable wherever it is. They will then install it using that cable if it's up to the job, if not it's up to the owner to get an electrician to run a new one.

Thanks for that.

I'm a sticky situation now then as I'm renting and eircom paying to get the phone line installed seemed to be dependent on me signing up for a year which I can't realistically do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

noodler wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I'm a sticky situation now then as I'm renting and eircom paying to get the phone line installed seemed to be dependent on me signing up for a year which I can't realistically do now.

It's up to your landlord then

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You have 10 days cooling off from when the line goes active.

Check with your neighbors, the developer probably had all the drop wires fitted in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,402 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ED E wrote: »
    You have 10 days cooling off from when the line goes active.

Check with your neighbors, the developer probably had all the drop wires fitted in the same place.

Well technically the line never went active if he couldn't find it I guess.

Could get a sparks mate to scan for the cable but then I'm into digging up wooden floors even if we narrow it down.

Sad to say best thing to do seems to try and cancel, argue the toss over the fact and engineer was out and try and live without broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Do that, the sparks will hook up an oscillator to it and should find it quickly enough.

Ken

Advertisement