Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Security

Options
  • 23-07-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I need some advice on what internet security to buy.
    It's for a home PC, I am currently using AVG but I don't find it much good as ads are constantly popping up and I feel its slowing down the computer.
    I used to have McAfee before this and it worked well but I can't remember what package I had. I have looked on their website but I am very confused with all the different kinds of security.
    Can anyone give me a bit of advice as to what package to go with or if anyone can suggest internet security better then McAfee please do. I'm willing to spend between €50-€100 for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

MusSpo13 wrote: »
    I need some advice on what internet security to buy.
    It's for a home PC, I am currently using AVG but I don't find it much good as ads are constantly popping up and I feel its slowing down the computer.
    I used to have McAfee before this and it worked well but I can't remember what package I had. I have looked on their website but I am very confused with all the different kinds of security.
    Can anyone give me a bit of advice as to what package to go with or if anyone can suggest internet security better then McAfee please do. I'm willing to spend between €50-€100 for it.

Avoid McAfee, if you're willing to pay I recommend you get a Norton Internet Security (not the bloated 360 package), it has a one months trial. Then get a 1yr serial on EBay for about €12. I was very anti Norton for a long time, made lots of money removing it, but was really surprised by their latest offering. Norton 360 is still a bloated POS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

I'm not sure a paid Anti virus is what you need, The adware and malware mostly get downloaded to your Pc by the user(you)with free software.

I would look for a Malware or adware remover like this http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy-Portable/3000-18514_4-75331484.html

Plus i will always download any free software from a site called cnet.com (The site you are being linked to above). Its a bit safer than just picking the first result on google. When downloading any software you will be prompt to accept this and that by clicking YES, Please pay attention at this point as this is when they sneak in the "free adware and malware"

I would start by removing any unwanted programs, run the spybot program. Let us know how you get on.

The very first thing is to install an adblock plug-in to your browser

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MusSpo13

Avoid McAfee, if you're willing to pay I recommend you get a Norton Internet Security (not the bloated 360 package), it has a one months trial. Then get a 1yr serial on EBay for about €12. I was very anti Norton for a long time, made lots of money removing it, but was really surprised by their latest offering. Norton 360 is still a bloated POS.
    Ok, ill have a look into norton. what is a pos?

MusSpo13 wrote: »
    what is a pos?

First definition here :p
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A Piece of sh1t.

Free antiviruses and Malware Scanners like the ones listed here should do you if you're a careful downloader. Never paid for or stole an AV yet and my PC is clean.

wylie wrote: »
    I'm not sure a paid Anti virus is what you need, The adware and malware mostly get downloaded to your Pc by the user(you)with free software.

I would look for a Malware or adware remover like this http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy-Portable/3000-18514_4-75331484.html

Plus i will always download any free software from a site called cnet.com (The site you are being linked to above). Its a bit safer than just picking the first result on google. When downloading any software you will be prompt to accept this and that by clicking YES, Please pay attention at this point as this is when they sneak in the "free adware and malware"

I would start by removing any unwanted programs, run the spybot program. Let us know how you get on.

Sorry I'm not very technical, what is malware and adware?
    Does that spybot program get rid of unwanted programs?

Haha! Here was me thinking it was a technical term!! :):)

The very first thing is to install an adblock plug-in to your browser
    what adblock plug in would you recommend?

A Piece of sh1t.

Free antiviruses and Malware Scanners like the ones listed here should do you if you're a careful downloader. Never paid for or stole an AV yet and my PC is clean.
    Thanks for the advice. I have asked before in computer shops about internet security but they all just want to sell the most expensive product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Four free things I like to do

1. Replace your hosts file with something like this.

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

2. Setup and configure a free OpenDNS Parental Control account and point your DNS to it.

3. Run the MalwareBytes (free) once a week at least - just be careful where you download from and you do not end up with some bloatware. https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

4. Run Microsoft's AV (Defender for 8.1 or Security Essentials for Windows 7). It's free and works fine.

Advertisement