Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Al Porter ruin Colm Hayes' career?

Options
  • 23-07-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I think Colm Hayes is a great presenter and will be greatly missed. It was downhill ever since Al porter joined 2FM. How on earth did he bag himself such a big gig with no radio experience? The over the top camp humour was mildly funny at the start but gets boring very fast.

"There is talk of me getting my own slot and 2FM will be announcing quite a line-up change in September. It will all be revealed then."

I presumed that with Colm moving to weekends they would drop Al (as it doesn't work) but from that article it seems he will be getting his own show.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

tsofitch wrote: »
    I think Colm Hayes is a great presenter and will be greatly missed. It was downhill ever since Al porter joined 2FM. How on earth did he bag himself such a big gig with no radio experience? The over the top camp humour was mildly funny at the start but gets boring very fast.

"There is talk of me getting my own slot and 2FM will be announcing quite a line-up change in September. It will all be revealed then."

I presumed that with Colm moving to weekends they would drop Al (as it doesn't work) but from that article it seems he will be getting his own show.

He ruined his own career moving to the graveyard of radio that is 2fm. Haven't liked anything he's done since the strawberry alarm clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

No.

Colm Hayes killed Colm Hayes' career by being sh*te.

He's been on a downward spiral since joining 2FM, starting with a passable breakfast show that ultimately failed, a horrific TV show that bombed, a piss-poor Gerry Ryan replacement attempt mid-mornings, and finally the crowning turd in the punchbowl that was drive-by.

He may well be a fantastic presenter, but he was out of place on 2FM from the very start. Al Porter may have hastened the decline, and for that at least Porter deserves some kudos*.

*Alright, that might be a bit harsh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tsofitch

He was fantastic on strawberry alarm clock and still think he is good. Just doesn't suit the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Red Fred

It was Colm Hayes who brought Al onto the show and encouraged the powers that be to offer him a contract. Personally I think Hayes is the master of his own demise. The breakfast show went stale after a while (as a lot of breakfast shows do) and it was downhill from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Can't blame a guy for moving to a national station.

He was headhunted so the terms would have been favourable.

It just didn't work.

Who wouldn't jump at the chance after putting in the effort over the years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 XtraStrong

Colm is a great presenter. 2FM just didn't suit him which was a pity.

The Strawberry Alarm Clock with Colm hosting was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 4 band radio

He is decent on weekend breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Have to say I never liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    a horrific TV show that bombed

I remember that. Was very much under the impression 'oh yeah these are supposed to be good' even though the show seemed to have 0 entertainment value.

It was like a show presented by two people who had the rte director standing on stage holding a gun to their back. They didn't seem relaxed presenting it.

On the plus side, he made a fair bit of money. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Who is Cagney without Lacey?
    Who is Torvill without Dean?
    Who is Colm without Jim Jim?

From what I got, when they were headhunted to 2fm they were good. I think Colm stuck a knife in Jim's back though. Colm was offered a solo show at a good time but Jim was offered a once a week slot on xfm if memory serves. Serves Colm right, Jim went back to what he knows and is still doing a good job of it, Colm gets P45.

• Advertisement

I've never heard Al Porter's show, I usually only have time for RTE 1, Newstalk and internet radio. Must give him a try.

Heard him, in a different context, on Derek Mooney, many moons ago.

Is he also the fella of the Curry Sauce ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Al Porter

Is he also the fella of the Curry Sauce ad?

No, that's one of the lads from Foyle, Arms and Hogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, Conor mc Kenna. Does a lot of voiceover work too.

Advertisement