Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Interview for your own job

Options
  • 23-07-2015 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hey,

Where I work, there are multiple similar positions and half of them are going. Basically they are letting go some and doubling workloads on the remainders.

What they are trying to do at present is flush out voluntary redundancy requests which they state, they may or may not accept based on skill requirements. (Seems to be like they're waiting to see if the people they want to go will step forward but will refuse the requests of the others)

The current situation is that they want us to sign a form stating that
    a) "apply" to stay in your current role with extra workload and same job title so they can select who gets the jobs.
    or
    b) request voluntary redundancy.

I am of the opinion that I should not have to interview for a job that I already have. It's the exact same job title but with some extra and reallocated duties.

If they want to leave me go then fair enough but it would be compulsory redundancy and not voluntary.

Anyone have similar experience? Can you be forced to interview to keep your current job? I can understand having to interview for a slightly different position but seems wrong to me when you have a contract signed stating a full time permanent job title!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they want to leave me go then fair enough but it would be compulsory redundancy and not voluntary.

Anyone have similar experience? Can you be forced to interview to keep your current job?
    What's to stop them to let you go in the first year of your new contract, without having to give you squat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

the_syco wrote: »
    What's to stop them to let you go in the first year of your new contract, without having to give you squat?

To answer your question, I already have a full time permanent contract so it would not be a break of service.

What I'm wondering is about is the legality of making someone interview for a position they already hold as a full time permanent employee. It just doesn't seem right to me! Maybe it's a normal process in these circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you say you don't wish to interview for an new role, I don't see how this could in anyway affect your current job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

mickdw wrote: »
    If you say you don't wish to interview for an new role, I don't see how this could in anyway affect your current job.

they are replacing his current role with a different role op would be made redundant, I would say, as his current job will no longer exist.

It does seem unfair, they are forcing them to renegotiate their contract. I sure legally they have their bases covered.

OP: Are they Vendorising the lot of you? (will you still have a permanent contract with the company or will it be as a contractor?)

As far I'm aware it would still be a permanent position with same title but with additional duties. So technically not replacing the role, just cutting some similar roles.

My biggest issue is that they are saying I "must" sign a form that either states I want to apply for the position I already hold or else apply for voluntary redundancy. It doesn't seem right to me. I've already been doing my job (as have the others) so why make us apply for the fewer jobs and then interview and make a decision who they want to keep for the positions we already do. I.E they know us and should be able to decide who they want to keep from performances to date or else on last in first out or whatever other method.

I just feel that by signing the form one way or another is a bad idea! I don't see how not signing it will help but I just can't help feeling something isn't right about the situation. In my mind, the only part of the form should be whether you want to take voluntary redundancy or keep your current job.

I'm sure they've legally covered it though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

sheesh wrote: »
    they are replacing his current role with a different role op would be made redundant, I would say, as his current job will no longer exist.

It does seem unfair, they are forcing them to renegotiate their contract. I sure legally they have their bases covered.

OP: Are they Vendorising the lot of you? (will you still have a permanent contract with the company or will it be as a contractor?)

They cannot make the op do what they ask.
    The op does not have to apply for the new job and there is no way that an employee in a permanent position can be forced to either interview or apply for voluntary redundancy.
    The op is free to interview or do nothing at all, giving the company the option of making them redundant but no way should they be forced towards applying for voluntary redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I already have a full time permanent contract so it would not be a break of service.
    Once you're certain that you're not signing a contract for a "new" role that is different from yours due to the increased workload.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The op does not have to apply for the new job and there is no way that an employee in a permanent position can be forced to either interview or apply for voluntary redundancy.
    The op is free to interview or do nothing at all, giving the company the option of making them redundant but no way should they be forced towards applying for voluntary redundancy.

They can I know a few companies who "restructure" roles quite frequently and do this reinterview process.

OPs original role is no more and he/she is being asked to indicate if they want to apply for a different role, or request redundancy.

Once the original role is restructured, unless OP applies for it, it's redundant.

I know people who have gone through this process multiple times in the same company.

OP are you in the telecoms industry by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

Similar happened my OH. There were four on her team, two left so two of them were doing four peoples work, then they decided to advertise a senior and jnr role to do the work, with the candidate needing certain skills. My OH was in the company 10 years and could do her and most of the other lost positions job with her eyes closed while the other person was in the company and clearly struggled in her role and on several thousands less. However the other girl had one thing on her CV that my OH didn't have, experience with a certain group which was made clear was the main requirement. When she went for the interview it was clear she was to take the jnr role taking a 50% cut or redundancy, she took redundancy. Now she is in a new job happy out, and the girl who took the senior role has to work up to 20 - 30 hours extra some weeks as the jnr person hasn't a clue what they are at and being paid peanuts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I am of the opinion that I should not have to interview for a job that I already have. It's the exact same job title but with some extra and reallocated duties.

Anyone have similar experience? Can you be forced to interview to keep your current job? I can understand having to interview for a slightly different position but seems wrong to me when you have a contract signed stating a full time permanent job title!

Thanks.
    Your current position is being made redundant and will no longer exist; that means you either apply for the new role (and as it's different in work details it is not your current role) or you will go through compulsory redundancy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

My biggest issue is that they are saying I "must" sign a form that either states I want to apply for the position I already hold or else apply for voluntary redundancy.

Based on what you have said, your current position will no longer exists in the future, regardless of what you think and you have three choices:

- Apply for one of the new positions
    - Apply for voluntary redundancy
    - Do nothing and await compulsory redundancy

Now keeping in mind that voluntary redundancy usually offers better terms than compulsory redundancy, I suggest you make a decision on options one or two before they pencil you in for option three.

Ok thanks everyone!

Stheno wrote: »

OP are you in the telecoms industry by any chance?

Pharma!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It may not technically / legally be a different role. It's pretty logical that people who don't let go will have to assume extra responsibility or workload to cover the people who left, and the OP has said that they are cutting a certain number of the same role. Not the position altogether.

Anyway - @Jjjjjjjbarry, what outcome are you hoping for? Do you want to stay, despite the extra workload? If so, then I'd say to swallow your pride and re-apply for it. They did this in a previous company of mine which was unionised up the jacksie, so if they got away with it there, it'd make me think that it's above board. It felt crap at the time, so I do sympathise.

What they're doing is stressful for everyone involved - but if you want to stay, it's not a fight I'd pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

To answer your question, I already have a full time permanent contract so it would not be a break of service.

What I'm wondering is about is the legality of making someone interview for a position they already hold as a full time permanent employee. It just doesn't seem right to me! Maybe it's a normal process in these circumstances?

It's perfectly legal. Organisations usually do it as one way of selecting people for redundancy (the other being an excel sheet with criteria). Whether it feels right or not is your own personal view, companies are entitled to make employees redundant provided they follow due process. TBH I think this way is fairer - at least you have an opportunity to get a new role by doing a good interview rather then just getting a letter and having no way to influence the selection process.

To answer your question your role is being made redundant. You'll be entitled to statutory redundancy. If you apply for one of the new roles you may get it. If not, you'll be entitled to statutory redundancy as you are still being let go as your role is being made redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Though technically correct I don't think you understand what the company is doing here. He can refuse to sign anything. In which case he will get statutory redundancy. Typically signing the letter to apply for voluntary redundancy means that you get statutory + X weeks for years served (or whatever).

OP - read the offer letter or terms. In all likelihood you have three potential outcomes:
    1. Go for interview and either get new role or not and get Statutory + extra.
    2. Apply for voluntary and get Statutory + extra.
    3. Don't cooperate and get Statutory on it's own.

In all likelihood if you apply for voluntary or apply for the role you will sign a legal waiver for any future legal action. It's in the companies interest therefore to make the cherry reasonable. It's usually not in your interest to not cooperate in a redundancy process as unless they are complete idiots it's hard to mess up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

micosoft wrote: »
    Though technically correct I don't think you understand what the company is doing here. He can refuse to sign anything. In which case he will get statutory redundancy. Typically signing the letter to apply for voluntary redundancy means that you get statutory + X weeks for years served (or whatever).

OP - read the offer letter or terms. In all likelihood you have three potential outcomes:
    1. Go for interview and either get new role or not and get Statutory + extra.
    2. Apply for voluntary and get Statutory + extra.
    3. Don't cooperate and get Statutory on it's own.

In all likelihood if you apply for voluntary or apply for the role you will sign a legal waiver for any future legal action. It's in the companies interest therefore to make the cherry reasonable. It's usually not in your interest to not cooperate in a redundancy process as unless they are complete idiots it's hard to mess up.

I know people in one company who have gone through this six times in three/four years as part of constant reorganisation of the company.

Extremely stressful to go through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Stheno wrote: »
    I know people in one company who have gone through this six times in three/four years as part of constant reorganisation of the company.

Extremely stressful to go through

Yep.

This is exactly what happened at the last company I worked at in the UK.

~ Interviewed and tested for your new job
    ~ Await results
    ~ Get new job and attend some sort of launch meeting
    ~ Interview direct reports for their new jobs
    ~ Decide who goes and who stays whilst taking guidance from above and carry on with the day to day job
    ~ Inform the lucky / unlucky

We went through this at least three times. Stress doesn't seem to do it justice :(.

Thats why I'm now farming in the wild west - never been happier, or poorer.

thanks all.

Applied and luckily/unluckily got to keep my job but with new duties to be loaded on yet.

Sad to see colleagues being let go when clearly the workload is still there. We all know as we've been busy doing it!

thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement