Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 2?

• 23-07-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Which of these is better for reading from?

I checked them out in the store earlier and the mini seemed great to hold but the iPad Air was a lot better for reading - will be using iBooks a lot.

Also in general which one is better?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

chops018 wrote: »
    Which of these is better for reading from?

I checked them out in the store earlier and the mini seemed great to hold but the iPad Air was a lot better for reading - will be using iBooks a lot.

Thanks.

I would go with the iPad Air 2. It is a much newer model and have a slightly better screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Cheers.

Another question - do you "have" to give your fingerprint for security on the newer iPads or can you ignore this and keep to a passcode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You can ignore it and keep a passcode instead, but the fingerprint is really handy. Another vote for the Air 2 here, because it really is a fantastic machine that'll take off with iOS 9.

But I mean at the start when you first buy it, can you ignore the finger print then or do you have to put it in at first and you can turn it off later?

Personally I don't want either.

Anyway I do like the compactness of the iPad mini and it does fit nicely into the hand but the iPad Air seems like it would be much better to read from and that's what I need so....

Just wondering if there is any argument to be made for the mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

If it's mainly for books get a nice kindle a lot cheaper and a whole lot better for reading...I do use my iPad Air 2 but I find my kindle much better.
    Your other question is yes you can ignore the fingerprint option complety

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    If it's mainly for books get a nice kindle a lot cheaper and a whole lot better for reading...I do use my iPad Air 2 but I find my kindle much better.
    Your other question is yes you can ignore the fingerprint option complety

Thanks.

It's not for novels etc, I would actually love a Kindle for that btw.

Starting professional training and a lot of the material is put on the iPad through iBooks.

You can get the iPad mini for free (well, included in the fees) or you have the option of paying extra for the iPad Air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Well in that case I would definitely go for the bigger iPad and get a 64gb spec...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Thanks.

Spec wise iPad Air 2 is better.
    This is how iPad mini compares to full size:
    Mini 1 = iPad 2 (mini 1 launched 1,5 years after iPad 2)
    Mini 2 = iPad Air (launched same date)
    Mini 3 = iPad Air + touchID. The most pointless one, the extra money is for touchID only, no improvement in spec to the mini 2. It does not have the improved spec that the air2 has on the air1.
    So if you get a mini the 2 is the one to get, the only argument for the mini is price. It's a obviously also down the the size you prefer.
    Had the mini1, the air and now the air2, never feel like it's too big so won't be going back to the mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'm doing a lot of research at the movement and am reading quite a lot on my iPad Air 2, it's perfect. Also needed to photo pages from a book in the National Library the other day then read them as photos later, again perfect given the screen size. Also reads very well in landscape mode too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Antibac wrote: »
    I would go with the iPad Air 2. It is a much newer model and have a slightly better screen

define better?

iPad Mini 2 has a better pixel density, but it's slightly less brighter than the Air 2. Both screens have compromises.

I'd go for the Air 2, the Air 2 gets better multi-tasking with iOS 9 (note I'm a current iPad Mini 2 owner).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I'd an ipad retina, heavy yoke, before upgrading to the mini 2. I love the mini. It's very easy to read PDFs on, and very light.

I wouldn't say no to a new Air though.

Maybe worth waiting a while to see if there are any new hardware updates with the next conference/keynote? Think it's October for the Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

I'm the same as chops018 with the option of the upgrade. A lot of the documents will be on iBook so needed to know what's best for reading but does anybody know what the battery life between the two is like? Or if anybody has a keyboard and types on it would you use it instead of laptop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Battery life is about the same.

Laptop replacement? No, just no. Writing and editing on an iPad is pretty painful, even with a keyboard, though iOS 9 will improve things. Generally speaking when someone tells me they are getting a keyboard with their new iPad, I tell them the iPad probably isn’t for them. Not that a keyboard add-on isn’t nice to have but it shouldn’t be something you feel you need.

Battery life is about the same.

Laptop replacement? No, just no. Writing and editing on an iPad is pretty painful, even with a keyboard, though iOS 9 will improve things. Generally speaking when someone tells me they are getting a keyboard with their new iPad, I tell them the iPad probably isn’t for them. Not that a keyboard add-on isn’t nice to have but it shouldn’t be something you feel you need.

Thanks I was hoping I would not need my laptop as much with the iPad Air but guess that won't be an option.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

sorchauna wrote: »
    Thanks I was hoping I would not need my laptop as much with the iPad Air but guess that won't be an option.

I have a Logitech slim keyboard for the iPad, and find it very useful. Great for taking notes in meetings etc. Certainly means not having to drag the laptop with me all the time. I wouldn't be writing novels on it, mind you.....

whiterebel wrote: »
    I have a Logitech slim keyboard for the iPad, and find it very useful. Great for taking notes in meetings etc. Certainly means not having to drag the laptop with me all the time. I wouldn't be writing novels on it, mind you.....

That's the kind of typing I'll likely be doing on it so will look into that keyboard.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Logitech

I have these on both iPad 4 and Mini 2. In truth I use the mini much more these days as it is so neat. Better than a kindle during the day (apart from bright sunlight) and very easy to transport in an inside jacket pocket.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Logitech

I have these on both iPad 4 and Mini 2. In truth I use the mini much more these days as it is so neat. Better than a kindle during the day (apart from bright sunlight) and very easy to transport in an inside jacket pocket.

So you would recommend a mini?

So you would recommend a mini?

Yes, I would. Better on the bigger iPad to watch movies and the like, but for everything else I just prefer the mini. I won't replace the iPad 4 when its had its day, but certainly would the Mini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

doubt it, the ipad 3rd/4th gen were quite thick. the Air 2 is really think. also the keyboard build quality looks terrible. I'd get this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Universal-Mobile-Keyboard-Layout/dp/B00KA95UNS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438174290&sr=8-3&keywords=microsoft+bluetooth+keyboard+ipad and an Apple Smart Leather Cover.

doubt it, the ipad 3rd/4th gen were quite thick. the Air 2 is really think. also the keyboard build quality looks terrible. I'd get this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Universal-Mobile-Keyboard-Layout/dp/B00KA95UNS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438174290&sr=8-3&keywords=microsoft+bluetooth+keyboard+ipad and an Apple Smart Leather Cover.

Thanks. But I am looking for a cover/keyboard type thing - preferable bluetooth.

Also I would like the cover to be able to stand in Portrait mode as we will be using iBooks for notes etc.

Thanks. But I am looking for a cover/keyboard type thing - preferable bluetooth.

Also I would like the cover to be able to stand in Portrait mode as we will be using iBooks for notes etc.

€100 but well worth it.......http://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/product/ultrathin-air?crid=1608

Advertisement