Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale agreed - booking deposit

Options
  • 23-07-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

We verbally were told yest that our bid on a house was accepted. EA was due to email us something and then we'd paying booking deposit? Day and a half later and zero... I know the vendors wanted more money so I'm getting nervous now something is going on in the background. How long does it usually take EA to request the booking deposit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 wenbo

I paid booking deposit the same day we got sale agreed. Then EA posted instructions to both solicitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Arranged same day here too. Had to push everyone every step of the way to close quickly though. Keep on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Crap, that wasn't what I wanted to hear. Have a horrible feeling something's going on :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Don't wait for them to ring/write you, just ring and ask how to pay the deposit and then pay it, if you wait on EA's you will be old and grey and homeless!! You have to chase down and pin these guys most of the time. Ive bought, sold and am buying again and its been same every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dbop2003

I think we paid our booking deposit the next day. But we did go sale agreed late, 4pm or so the day before. We also met the agent at the house and went through it, so we had a list of things that needed to be cleared out. Don't panic, phone them tomorrow, bet it'll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

We paid our booking deposit almost a week later, EA was not in a rush, we had other business to do, still I remembered and called EA to remind about the deposit, but house went Sale Agreed on the 3rd day on myhome, before deposit paid. Don't be nervous just call them and ask how can you paid the deposit. Anyway it doesn't mean a lot, the deal can be broken at any time until contracts exchanged, no matter deposit paid or not. Relax at this stage, there are much more coming up, which will worry you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Yellowhen we have been sale agreed 3 times :eek:
    We had to pay booking deposit straight away and show long approval. I would worry about it though as the other poster said a booking deposit means nothing until contracts are exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Definitely ring them this morning, they possibly got your email wrong and they're waiting on you to reply.

Don't lose hope yet, best of luck with the purchase!

Called them yest re incorrect email and still nothing.rang again this am and got secretary. We've a lot riding on this... Can't close our own sale without it. This better be the last time we move......

By the way is showing your loan approval to the selling agent the norm? Do you have to show them a copy of your AIP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 wenbo

We didn't show any proof of finance (FTB, Galway). We got sale agreed middle last month. Tried to push every step and now we are on closing stage. We are supposed to get the key by next week. But thanks to the RACING week, another week delay.
    yellow hen wrote: »
    By the way is showing your loan approval to the selling agent the norm? Do you have to show them a copy of your AIP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There's no reason to be in a hurry to pay booking deposit... It doesn't protect you from anything.

3DataModem wrote: »
    There's no reason to be in a hurry to pay booking deposit... It doesn't protect you from anything.

I know it doesn't but morally a loose chain is being woven between you and the seller and it's slightly (and I do mean slightly) more difficult to throw you under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

I know it doesn't but morally a loose chain is being woven between you and the seller and it's slightly (and I do mean slightly) more difficult to throw you under the bus.
    No it doesn't.

bidiots wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

I disagree. I am the seller also and once those wheels start in motion, I am less likely to mess someone around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I disagree. I am the seller also and once those wheels start in motion, I am less likely to mess someone around.

Yellow hen- unfortunately that is you.
    You may be honorable and intend to do the right thing with your potential purchasers- it doesn't mean other sellers are the same. Honor is a commodity in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Yellowhen the agents (two agents on two houses) said to us that until they won't put sale agreed online or on sign until booking deposit is paid and proof of funds was shown.

The whole thing is just so stressful on one occasion we were told we were sale agreed at 11am and at 2.30pm I was told they went with a higher offer!!! I was literally on my way to get the booking deposit!

Yellow hen- unfortunately that is you.
    You may be honorable and intend to do the right thing with your potential purchasers- it doesn't mean other sellers are the same. Honor is a commodity in short supply.

I still disagree.... I think there are a lot of people who would find it harder (but not impossible) to stop the process once it starts. It's human nature that the minute, the potential buyers become human with a family and needs and wants just like seller, you feel a slight sense of commitment to them.

Millem wrote: »
    Yellowhen the agents (two agents on two houses) said to us that until they won't put sale agreed online or on sign until booking deposit is paid and proof of funds was shown.

The whole thing is just so stressful on one occasion we were told we were sale agreed at 11am and at 2.30pm I was told they went with a higher offer!!! I was literally on my way to get the booking deposit!

The whole process is a farce and we've met total idiots who I would love to report to someone but who cares really? The agent we used to sell our house was a gent and no nonsense. We never pleased and begged and lied to get more money from potential buyers. A young couple with a small baby bought our house and I remember ho exciting it was first time round...I would never try to pee in that parade for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PetuniaT

Check your spam or junk folder on your email. I had this problem before on one of the four occasions I've been sale agreed in the last year. It had filtered into my spam folder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

I have been asked for proof of funds too by EA and gave them a statement to the effect that I have the funds for deposit, stamp duty and solicitors fees. I don't think the EA, who is representing the seller should know my personal finance details.

Advertisement