Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Reserve Recruitment Stream (Rumours)

• 23-07-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm sure a good few of you are curious about this too. Has there been any development on the rumour that there will be a recruitment stream from Garda Reserve members like there was for Irish Speakers?

Also, while i'm at it, what's the timeframe for Garda Reserve, from Application to Graduation?

Just asking for the girlfriend so that she can get the best opportunity in the next recruitment drive.

Regards,
    Xios

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

I done my interview last week and am a GR. I did not receive any special treatment but if and when she does get to interview it will definitely help with her competencies. Just need to pass all the exams first

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

This could be the statrt of an internal recruitment policy and the path of recruitment from reserve rank to regular rank.

Minister of Justice Statement 19th Nov 2015
    I wish to put on record my appreciation for the contribution that those who volunteer for service as Garda reserve members make on a daily basis to the work of An Garda Síochána. Together with full time members, they provide vital assistance to communities across the country.
    Recruitment competitions for full time members of An Garda Síochána are open to all who meet the eligibility criteria set out in the Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) Regulations 2013.
    For those reserve members who meet these requirements, the 2013 Regulations provide that, as part of the competitive selection process "due recognition to any satisfactory service by the person as a reserve member" shall be given to such candidates as the Public Appointments Service (which has responsibility for organising the process) and the Commissioner, after consultation with the Minister for Justice and Equality, determine.As part of the planning process for the new Garda recruitment competition to be announced shortly, consideration is being given to how such due recognition may be given to the training and experience of reserve members.
    The Deputy may wish to be aware that of the 475 Garda trainees who have entered the Garda College since it reopened in September 2014, 88 were already reserve members of the Force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

Xios wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Also, while i'm at it, what's the timeframe for Garda Reserve, from Application to Graduation?

Regards,
    Xios

I applied in July 2014 and I am still waiting for a date for an interview. I don't think its going to happen for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

I really hope that they get this right at this stage . how it turns out is any ones guess. Will it be a separate stream similar to Irish or will reserves get extra marks at interview for years service.
    Should reserves even have to sit an interview? (thee biggest grey area of the process)
    assuming they get through all the test stage 1,2 and 3, and on the basis they already are vetted, and have done a medical for reserves should reserves have to sit an interview at all. they are already wearing the uniform (and not getting paid) and have been doing the job for a number of years and have received formal training and training (experience ) in the job.
    All this training, exp does need to count for something if not a significant amount.
    A reserve in the eyes of AGS is sufficiently competent to serve as a reserve alongside the full timers and so really doesn't need to be sitting an interview at all.
    should the age limit be lifted for reserves ?
    By the same token does a reserve need to be sitting aptitude tests.
    Should reserves with 5+ years experience as a reserve go straight as a trainee ?
    This is an opportunity for AGS or whoever is in charge of this process to come out of the shadows and make real and effective change that would be welcomed by many and besides all the right thing to do.

please lets get this debate going with thoughts and ideas---you never know who might be viewing and looking for ideas
    just my thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Copaholic wrote: »
    I really hope that they get this right at this stage . how it turns out is any ones guess. Will it be a separate stream similar to Irish or will reserves get extra marks at interview for years service.
    Should reserves even have to sit an interview? (thee biggest grey area of the process)
    assuming they get through all the test stage 1,2 and 3, and on the basis they already are vetted, and have done a medical for reserves should reserves have to sit an interview at all. they are already wearing the uniform (and not getting paid) and have been doing the job for a number of years and have received formal training and training (experience ) in the job.
    All this training, exp does need to count for something if not a significant amount.
    A reserve in the eyes of AGS is sufficiently competent to serve as a reserve alongside the full timers and so really doesn't need to be sitting an interview at all.
    should the age limit be lifted for reserves ?
    By the same token does a reserve need to be sitting aptitude tests.
    Should reserves with 5+ years experience as a reserve go straight as a trainee ?
    This is an opportunity for AGS or whoever is in charge of this process to come out of the shadows and make real and effective change that would be welcomed by many and besides all the right thing to do.

please lets get this debate going with thoughts and ideas---you never know who might be viewing and looking for ideas
    just my thoughts

Copaholic will you relax. One post per thread is enough.
    Your posting the same message in numerous threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

D Trent wrote: »
    Copaholic will you relax. One post per thread is enough.
    Your posting the same message in numerous threads[/QUOTES]

Sorry, but I only posted the same thing twice , one on the garda reserve side and one on this side as the same thread is on both sides.

This is a really big opportunity for reserve experience and training to be counted and recognised in a quantitative manner in the recruitment process as it has been lacking big time up until now and its important that it gets highlighted and contributions /ideas put forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

You have to be fair to both sides the general public and the reserves. I know many great candidates who couldnt join the reserves due to other commitments, That shouldnt mean they are disqualified from a future campaign.

The best way would be to have at least a 30 - 40% intake of reserves every campaign. I do think they should have to go through the same process though. I mean many reserves failed the first stages which is suprising but proves many shouldnt have just walked into the job.

Advertisement