Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events: what's on in South County Dublin?

• 23-07-2015 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

A thread for what's coming up in South Dublin is a good idea, as loads of local events are not being placed in online guides like entertainment.ie, dublintown.ie, visitdublin.ie, etc. It seems strange that people organise events and then don't publicise them online, but it's very common.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I came across signs on the street and road this evening for:

Céilí Mór, Cabinteely this Saturday (25 July 2015)

Anybody been to it in previous years? It looks lively in these pictures.

It starts at 8pm. Entry is free, and Saturday is forecast to be a sunny day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You could always use http://www.dlrevents.ie/. Good resource too

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

just heard about a new Balloons, Kites and Flight festival that's on next Saturday afternoon in Sandycove - details here

http://www.dlrevents.ie/atmosphere15.html

The Cabinteely Céilí is on tomorrow week, Saturday 28 July, beginning at 7:30pm and going on until midnight. Should be another great evening.

Céilí Mór 2018

Dancing at the Crossroads 2018

DLR's Summer of Heritage is unfortunately almost non-existent this summer according to its own website there. It was excellent in the past couple of summers with guided tours of Blackrock Park, the Quaker cemetery in Blackrock and so much else.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

I don't think the Summer of Heritage is massively reduced in size. The website doesn't make it very obvious but if you download the brochure on the bottom left there are 35+ events listed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

gaiscioch wrote:
    is unfortunately almost non-existent this summer according to its own website there. It was excellent in the past couple of summers with guided tours of Blackrock Park, the Quaker cemetery in Blackrock and so much else.

Posters up in Blackrock about the upcoming quaker cemetery tour. Limited to 30 places though, 1 hour long. Can't remember date though.

Awaaf wrote: »
    I don't think the Summer of Heritage is massively reduced in size. The website doesn't make it very obvious but if you download the brochure on the bottom left there are 35+ events listed.

I saw that Summer of Heritage pdf the other day - indeed several times in the past month - but each time I opened it there was 48 pages in it but only the cover page was showing so combined with the handful of events on the website I assumed they had to cut back events for budget reasons. After reading your post I downloaded it and sure enough there are 48 pages of events in it. Thanks!

Edit: Just checked the website again, and somebody in DLR must have put all events on the website since I posted above. Brilliant. Carrickbrennan Cemetery, Blackrock Park, Quaker Cemetery in Blackrock, Deansgrange Cemetery were all excellent tours a couple of summers ago. Monkstown Castle seemed like we had a last minute replacement guide so I'd like to do that again with a more informed guide.

Here's the link now: DLR Summer of Heritage 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

They were advertising this in Dundrum town centre:

www.explorium.ie/

Looks good for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

the kite festival is on in Newtownsmith (sandycove sea front) this Saturday 28th, all day I think.

the Dalkey Vintage Car Festival is on from 12pm on bank Holiday Monday, August 6th.

The DLR Bay 10k run is on the same morning. Starts at Newtownsmith, finishes at the Town Hall, there's a short course for families as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

the kite festival is on in Newtownsmith (sandycove sea front) this Saturday 28th, all day I think.

the Dalkey Vintage Car Festival is on from 12pm on bank Holiday Monday, August 6th.

The DLR Bay 10k run is on the same morning. Starts at Newtownsmith, finishes at the Town Hall, there's a short course for families as well.
    Think I read they aren't actually allowed to fly any kites at the kite festival because of the bray air show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Not a lot is going on, same old same old.

Advertisement