Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a energy meter

Options
  • 23-07-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭

Want to measure the energy consumption, on a temporary basis, on the customer side of an ESB meter.
    I have a meter and a CT but am a bit puzzled by the wiring requirements.

I was led to believe that all that was needed was an aux supply to the meter and the CT around the live from the ESB meter.
    The diagrams further down suggests that as well as the CT around the phase the phase and neutral both need to be tapped and connected to the energy meter.

In addition, what is the significance of the X on the line button the phase and neutral?
    Thanks

[I have uploaded the actual spec further down)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

Just guessing here C, can you post a link to the meter manual.

X looks like the load you are metering.
    2 & 5 are the meter hot power. 1 & 3 are CT signal.

The rest look like alarm or genset autostart control business.

[Edit]: Nevermind I see the model no. on the diagram.

"Pulsed output is available to send to PLC's data loggers and computers. Analogue mA output is also available."

Don't wire them if you aren't using them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks,
    The manual is a dog, its here
    http://www.productselection.net/MANUALS/UK/em26_im.pdf
    I want to do option 11, the Aux power is diagram 13 [ 1&3]
    The single CT is into 23 and 24

I would have though that if the aux power is used in 1 & 3 then I don't need 15 and 17

The data sheet is attached, what have is the basic version, note XX-XX at end

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnniebeegood

You had it right first time , 2 is live, 5 is neutral . The ct goes on the live phase of the load to be metered X. That's it. Phasen is german for phase. Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnniebeegood

You had it right first time , 2 is live, 5 is neutral . The ct goes on the live phase of the load to be metered X. That's it. Phasen is german for phase. Be careful.

Thanks, so if using the aux supply then I don't need to tap the phase.

I am just messing around with it settings wise before it is fitted next week, by a sparks, on a 94 sq wire so no question of tapping into that.

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    I want to do option 11, the Aux power is diagram 13 [ 1&3]
    The single CT is into 23 and 24

Yup, that's not the same diagram you deleted in the first post though. :p

Okay,
    I am always amazed at my own stupidity, especially when it comes to asking the right questions.

The wiring depends on the meter.

All energy meters require a reference voltage to do the math.
    Some have it keyed in so on 1 Phase you key in 240 and so on.

Others require a reference voltage to do the math and that is taken from within the electrical box, but does not require any cables to be removed.

The one I have does so the steps are as follows:

Split CT gets fitted around the phase in question
    the reference voltage is provided as described above
    the meter is programmed as required, including any aux power if required
    Restore power to meter
    start gathering data.

Thanks for all you help

I prefer shunted meters especially if it's a cumulative do-fer. CTs aren't as accurate.

I prefer shunted meters especially if it's a cumulative do-fer. CTs aren't as accurate.

heard about them ok, can u pm a make/model pls

I don't know any that you can put on the main incomer C. other than the standard traditional network meters, or even if that's sanctioned.
    I use DC meters a lot as coulomb counters.

The accuracy on the CTs isn't bad ~1% error (listed, probably a little higher in real life) or 10W per kW on a good one. Depends on what you're doing really whether you need the accuracy.

I have this saved on my watch list for a project I'm working on but I appreciate it's cheap Chinese gear and I'm not committing it until after I test it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-65-A-230V-50HZ-din-rail-Energy-meter-voltage-current-active-reactive-power-KWH-/252032489987?

I'll let you know how it works out but it'll be a while.

• Advertisement

I gather there is a 3 P shunt meter that can be used in the domestic situation to measure three separate usages: say sockets, oven, workshop or what ever and that it has 3 separate outputs, this one I have aggregates the 3 phases into one output

I think it assumes the phases are balanced though.

[Edit]...unless you wire 3 CTs

I think it assumes the phases are balanced though.

[Edit]...unless you wire 3 CTs

yes 3 CT's, e.g.: cooker,sockets, workshop

In passing, where does the data get time stamped like the ESB MRSO data, not in the energy meter so maybe the logger?
    ps
    must say am v happy with it even on the 16 sq: I can see the immediate effect of the big stuff such as
    her: electric oven, dryer, dishwasher etc.
    my: band saw, circular saw...:D

Careful C. meters can get addictive...I have meters on my meters..:rolleyes:
    ..not to mention the physical dangers of running about the house to check them while operating power tools :pac:

I recently installed a red voltmeter and a blue ammeter in the workshop but I think they have this bizarre 3d glasses effect because I can't focus on the two at the same time.

Most houses in Éire are single phase. 3P might be 3 pole.

addictive...
    My next plan is to stick a CCTV camera looking at the meters and display it in the kitchen with the others CCTV, cooker on: 2400 watts....:)
    Would be better than Coro/Eastenders but not fair city:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yes 3 CT's, e.g.: cooker,sockets, workshop

In passing, where does the data get time stamped like the ESB MRSO data, not in the energy meter so maybe the logger?
    ps
    must say am v happy with it even on the 16 sq: I can see the immediate effect of the big stuff such as
    her: electric oven, dryer, dishwasher etc.
    my: band saw, circular saw...:D

In 1/4 hour Meters the data is time stamped and stored in the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Want to measure the energy consumption, on a temporary basis, on the customer side of an ESB meter.
    I have a meter and a CT but am a bit puzzled by the wiring requirements.

I was led to believe that all that was needed was an aux supply to the meter and the CT around the live from the ESB meter.
    The diagrams further down suggests that as well as the CT around the phase the phase and neutral both need to be tapped and connected to the energy meter.

In addition, what is the significance of the X on the line button the phase and neutral?
    Thanks

[I have uploaded the actual spec further down)
    Is it 3 phase, is it a 1/4 hour meter ? If so the ESB will give you a pulse output for about 150 euro and you simple bring it into a data logger

ted1 wrote: »
    Is it 3 phase, is it a 1/4 hour meter ? If so the ESB will give you a pulse output for about 150 euro and you simple bring it into a data logger

Thanks Ted. the project metering is down at machine level so I was just trying to figure it all out in my own house first

Advertisement