Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 2016 6Nations/Junior World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

There wouldn't as 20.5s wouldn't work just like 21s was a serious issue for Munster clubs which is why they changed to 20s in the first place.

Ye, obviously there would have been significantly less players under the catchment age of 20.5 then 20.................... That makes perfect sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Ye, obviously there would have been significantly less players under the catchment age of 20.5 then 20.................... That makes perfect sense
    And 20s still works better for more rural clubs. 16s/18s(19s for the schools)/20s. Leinster has 17s/18.5s(for clubs)/19s for schools/20.5s. 20s allows people at most 2 seasons of club rugby at age grade level with those who leave school older getting one season of age grade rugby. Why delay getting players into the open age teams when there is serious retention problems especially with clubs who are enticing so many to try make their 20s who then get disheartened and quit. If you change the age grade and work more efficiently on channelling people into open grade rugby its better for the sport.

And 20s still works better for more rural clubs. 16s/18s(19s for the schools)/20s. Leinster has 17s/18.5s(for clubs)/19s for schools/20.5s. 20s allows people at most 2 seasons of club rugby at age grade level with those who leave school older getting one season of age grade rugby. Why delay getting players into the open age teams when there is serious retention problems especially with clubs who are enticing so many to try make their 20s who then get disheartened and quit. If you change the age grade and work more efficiently on channelling people into open grade rugby its better for the sport.

My comment was sarcastic. It is physically impossible for more people to be under 20 then under 20.5.

You are entirely ignoring the point of the discussion. I'm deeply bored of these circles.

My comment was sarcastic. It is physically impossible for more people to be under 20 then under 20.5.

You are entirely ignoring the point of the discussion. I'm deeply bored of these circles.
    What am i ignoring? The Dublin clubs complain about the all Ireland being 20s not 20.5s. It isn't possible for the Munster sides to change to 20.5s as it doesn't work. 20s has its issues but it still works better than 20.5s which wont work like 21s didn't work.
    If Leinster sides want a "proper all Ireland" they must change their league to 20s like the other league. Anything else isn't going to work. If Leinster clubs are worried about potential drop out rate then they must look at their own recruitment and retention and what to do with their own metro/social/junior teams.

What am i ignoring? The Dublin clubs complain about the all Ireland being 20s not 20.5s. It isn't possible for the Munster sides to change to 20.5s as it doesn't work. 20s has its issues but it still works better than 20.5s which wont work like 21s didn't work.
    If Leinster sides want a "proper all Ireland" they must change their league to 20s like the other league. Anything else isn't going to work. If Leinster clubs are worried about potential drop out rate then they must look at their own recruitment and retention and what to do with their own metro/social/junior teams.

No thanks. Let's just cancel it and see who really loses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Well going by the amount of 20s fixtures cancelled this season 20s doesn't work in Munster either

Having Munster at 20s hasn't helped their drop out rate - the figures point the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Stainalert wrote: »
    Well going by the amount of 20s fixtures cancelled this season 20s doesn't work in Munster either

Having Munster at 20s hasn't helped their drop out rate - the figures point the other way

Cork Con 18 UCC 13
    UCD 21 Terenure 18

U20 Fraser Mc Mullan final in Portlaoise next Sunday at 2-30 pm. Should be a cracking game.

World Trophy is on at the moment in Zimbabwe. No Irish involvement in US squad like previous years..
    Round 1 results
    USA 44 Namibia 46, Spain 44 Hong Kong 8
    Uruguay 34 Fiji 38, Samoa 54 Zimbabwe 24

Round 2 Results
    Samoa 32 Fiji 8, Uruguay 50 Zimbabwe 22
    Spain 40 Namibia 22, USA 32 Hong Kong 12

Final group games are Wednesday before playoff games Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭croket

Ireland will face Wales, New Zealand and Georgia in U20 World Cup

Here is Georgia U20 extented squad :

PROPS
    Ushang Cheishvili (Aia Kutaisi)
    Rezi Dugladze (Lelo Saracens)
    Tornike Mataradze (Aia Kutaisi)
    Giorgi Melikidze (Stade Francais, France) - 2 caps
    Nika Neparidze (ASM Clermont-Auvergne, France)
    Guram Papidze (Qochebi Bolnisi)
    Lasha Tabidze (Union Bordeaux-Begles, France)

HOOKERS
    Luka Goginava (Locomotive Tbilisi)
    Giga Khuroshvili (Armazi Tbilisi)
    Lasha Sajaia (Jiki Gori)

LOCKS
    Gaga Arabuli (Locomotive Tbilisi)
    Mihkeil Babunashvili (Aia Kutaisi)
    Demur Epremidze (Qochebi Bolnisi)
    Giorgi Javakhia (Lyon OU, France)
    Tornike Zoidze (ASM Clermont-Auvergne, France)

BACKROW
    Otar Giorgadze (ASM Clermont-Auvergne, France) - 2 caps
    Beka Gorgadze (Stade Montois, France) - 7 caps
    Vano Putkaradze (Batumi RC)
    Ilia Spanderashvili (Armia Tbilisi)
    Irakli Tskhadadze (Armazi Tbilisi)
    Giorgi Tsutskiridze (CA Brive, France)

SCRUMHALVES
    Gela Aprasidze (Lelo Saracens)
    Vasil Lobzhanidze (Armazi Tbilisi) - 15 caps
    Lasha Mamucharashvili (Locomotive Tbilisi)

FLYHALVES
    Giorgi Gulmagarashvili (Sharks Academy, South Africa)
    Davit Modzgvrishvili (Academia Tbilisi)

CENTRES
    Giorgi Gogoladze (Armia Tbilisi)
    Sandro Iluridze (Academia Tbilisi)
    Guram Kandaurashvili (Kharebi Rustavi)
    Giorgi Koshadze (Kharebi Rustavi)
    Tornike Managadze (Aia Kutaisi)

WINGERS
    Giorgi Kveseladze (Iunkerebi)
    Davit Meskhi (Armia Tbilisi)
    Lado Miminoshvili (Batumi RC)
    Luka Yurini (Lyon OU, France)

FULLBACKS
    Sandro Merkvilishvili (Armia Tbilisi)
    Mirian Modebadze (Aia Kutaisi)
    Rati Shanidze (Lelo Saracens)
    Irakli Svanidze (Jiki Gori) - 1 cap

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Number 137

I know they are a tier 2 nation, but it's impressive how many of those are already capped. No surprise that most of the foreign based players are forwards. Interesting that they have a back based in South Africa though. Lobzhanidze looked very decent at the RWC and I believe he is off to Brive next season. On the back of the JWT victory last season, Georgia will be no walk in the park.

• Advertisement

Are they all senior caps which are quoted?

Number 137 wrote: »
    I know they are a tier 2 nation, but it's impressive how many of those are already capped. No surprise that most of the foreign based players are forwards. Interesting that they have a back based in South Africa though. Lobzhanidze looked very decent at the RWC and I believe he is off to Brive next season. On the back of the JWT victory last season, Georgia will be no walk in the park.
    Theyre not all full international tests. Georgia wont be a walk in the park but its age grade rugby. Winning Trophy last year will have some effect on this year but theyre record in European under 18 championship last year where they drew with Ireland and Italy before beating both on penalties should have more of an influence on this years 20s IMO
    Don't think theyre all full tests included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

yup he was really, really good at the RWC and is joining Brive for 16/17 and 17/18 Season

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭croket

Theyre not all full international tests. Georgia wont be a walk in the park but its age grade rugby. Winning Trophy last year will have some effect on this year but theyre record in European under 18 championship last year where they drew with Ireland and Italy before beating both on penalties should have more of an influence on this years 20s IMO
    Don't think theyre all full tests included

That's full international tests
    Melikidze
    2016 : Germany, Russia (6 Nations B)

Giorgadze
    2015 : Emerging Italy, Emerging Ireland (Tbilisi Cup)

Gorgadze
    2016 : Germany Portugal, Spain, Russia, Romania (6 Nations B)
    2015 : Uruguay, Emerging Italy (Tbilisi Cup)

Lobzhanidze
    2016 : Germany, Portugal, Spain, Russia, Romania (6 Nations B)
    2015 : Tonga, Argentina, New Zealand, Namibia (RWC), Japan, Tonga (tests), Germany, Portugal, Spain, Russia, Romania (6NB)

Svanidze
    2015 : Emerging Ireland (Tbilisi Cup)

BTW :
    Melikidze played 3 Top14 games for Stade Francais this season
    Javakhia played 2 ProD2 games for the champion Lyon (and was in the starting XV this week)
    Gorgadze played 9 (and started 7) ProD2 games with Stade Montois (mostly in 2016)

croket wrote: »
    That's full international tests
    Melikidze
    2016 : Germany, Russia (6 Nations B)

Giorgadze
    2015 : Emerging Italy, Emerging Ireland (Tbilisi Cup)

Gorgadze
    2016 : Germany Portugal, Spain, Russia, Romania (6 Nations B)
    2015 : Uruguay, Emerging Italy (Tbilisi Cup)

Lobzhanidze
    2016 : Germany, Portugal, Spain, Russia, Romania (6 Nations B)
    2015 : Tonga, Argentina, New Zealand, Namibia (RWC), Japan, Tonga (tests), Germany, Portugal, Spain, Russia, Romania (6NB)

Svanidze
    2015 : Emerging Ireland (Tbilisi Cup)

BTW :
    Melikidze played 3 Top14 games for Stade Francais this season
    Javakhia played 2 ProD2 games for the champion Lyon (and was in the starting XV this week)
    Gorgadze played 9 (and started 7) ProD2 games with Stade Montois (mostly in 2016)

That is definitely more impressive then anything any of our lads will have done realistically.

Samoa beat Spain in final of world under 20 trophy 38-32 today and will be in cup competition next year.

Any updates on warm up games for the world cup have been announced?

Niall Saunders exile who has been involved in a game or two in 6 nations added to Harlequins academy for next season.

Welsh named their squad
    http://www.fifteenrugby.com/world-rugby-u20-championship-wales-name-squad-for-junes-championship/

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Some great talent on display in Donnybrook last night in under 20s McCorry Cup final between Lansdowne & Trinity, Lansdowne won comfortably in the end but great standard and skill set shown by both teams, thoroughly enjoyed it as a neutral. Didn't see James Ryan but Max Deegan was seriously impressive carrying the ball

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Some great talent on display in Donnybrook last night in under 20s McCorry Cup final between Lansdowne & Trinity, Lansdowne won comfortably in the end but great standard and skill set shown by both teams, thoroughly enjoyed it as a neutral. Didn't see James Ryan but Max Deegan was seriously impressive carrying the ball

Didn't realise it was on. Saw the scoreline, I'd assume the trinity team was slightly weakened by celebrations over the last few weeks!

Not sure if Max Deegan played for them much during the year. Certainly would not have thought he would have had the 4 games pre semi's to play. Trinity probably a little bit more controlled then in years gone by at 20s, a very good side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Samoa beat Spain in final of world under 20 trophy 38-32 today and will be in cup competition next year.

That sounds quite encouraging for Spain. Shame they didn't qualify.

bilston wrote: »
    Rugby has always been strong in areas around border in Catalonia and Basque regions as well as Madrid. More they can get playing in France and push for top14, prod2.. Considering FC Barcelona has its own rugby club it would be fantastic to see a push for a Spanish team competing in French league under the Barcelona banner. Unlikely to ever happen but would be great to see

bilston wrote: »
    Rugby has always been strong in areas around border in Catalonia and Basque regions as well as Madrid. More they can get playing in France and push for top14, prod2.. Considering FC Barcelona has its own rugby club it would be fantastic to see a push for a Spanish team competing in French league under the Barcelona banner. Unlikely to ever happen but would be great to see
    That would be very cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That would be great. Both Biaritz and Perpingon* have played matches in Spain. Also they had a big crowd at the Copa del Rey recently. Hope it keeps growing. Maybe the Champions Cup final in Barcelona in a couple of years. I'd go to that.

*my spelling of both those cities is probably wrong.

Some of the squads are getting named so hopefully we may see an irish squad named soon enough

England: http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Bath-Rugby-duo-named-England-20-World/story-29249392-detail/story.html
    Wales: http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/11343.php#.VzClSU3JDcs
    Scotland: http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/16/05/09/scotland-under-20-squad-announced-world-championship

New Zealand and Australia played a two test series as warm up. Winning one game each
    NZ won game one 30-10 and Australia won 25-24 having led 22-3 at one stage before NZ scored 3 tries and Australia only won due to a late penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Bit surprised that Conor O'Brien isn't getting more plaudits.. Great hands, big, quick.. Am I missing something?.. Had a really good game in the AIL final and was comfortably our best back at U20s this year.. Yet Donal Lenihan and others were hyping up Shane O'Leary who I didn't think was particularly impressive during the six nations or the other day.. Carbury is something else though.

• Advertisement

hype101 wrote: »
    Bit surprised that Conor O'Brien isn't getting more plaudits.. Great hands, big, quick.. Am I missing something?.. Had a really good game in the AIL final and was comfortably our best back at U20s this year.. Yet Donal Lenihan and others were hyping up Shane O'Leary who I didn't think was particularly impressive during the six nations or the other day.. Carbury is something else though.

Do you mean Shane Daly? Either way, while Daly has done some things well, I agree that Conor O'Brien has been our best back. I was very surprised he started the championship on the bench.

I know there has been no official announcement yet, but World Rugby have a squad listed on their site.

David Aspil
    Ben Betts
    James Bollard
    Kelvin Brown
    Matthew Byrne
    Peter Claffey
    Will Connors
    Brett Connon
    Matt Cosgrove
    Shane Daly
    Max Deegan
    Shane Fenton
    John Foley
    Cillian Gallagher
    Conor Kenny
    Steven Kerins
    Paul Kiernan
    Robert Lyttle
    Adam McBurney
    Sean O'Connor
    Sean O'Leary
    David O'Mahony
    John Poland
    Andrew Porter
    James Ryan
    Jacob Stockdale
    Dan Walsh
    Conan O'Donnell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Here's the NZ squad.

http://nzh.tw/11636651

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Here's the NZ squad.

http://nzh.tw/11636651

I wonder which ones will be project players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Buer wrote: »
    I wonder which ones will be project players.

I wonder which ones won't be project players !

• Advertisement

20s play a Munster-Leinster selection in Donnybrook Saturday 2pm

20s play a Munster-Leinster selection in Donnybrook Saturday 2pm

Any word from that u20 practice game in Donnybrook on Saturday.

rughug wrote: »
    Any word from that u20 practice game in Donnybrook on Saturday.
    20s won 31-26. Munster will probably cover the game coming up in Thomond more so we will hear more ahead of/during that game.

Munster named their team for tomorrow.
    Mix of contracted, academy and club players
    D Ryan and Copeland will be tough test for 20s
    Munster A: Conor Kearns; Aaron Spring, Robbie Deegan, Paul Kiernan, Steven McMahon; Jamie Gavin, John Poland; Liam O'Connor, Niall Scannell Capt., Brian Scott; Evan Mintern, Donnacha Ryan; Robin Copeland, Dan Walsh, John Foley.

Replacements from: Adam Moloney (St Munchin's College), Shane O'Hanlon (UCC), Tony Cusack (Shannon), Ben Mitchell (UCC), Barra O'Byrne (UCC), Conor Oliver, Ben Kilkenny, Jason Higgins (Cork Con), Joey Purcell (Garryowen), Tom McHale (Cashel).

Irish 20s team for game in Thomond this evening

15 Jacob Stockdale
    14 Hugo Keenan
    13 Shane Daly
    12 Conor O Brien
    11 Terry Kennedy
    10 Bill Johnson
    9 Stephen Kerins
    1 Peter Meyer
    2 Adam McBurney
    3 Adam Kyle
    4 Sean O Connor
    5 James Ryan
    6 Greg Jones
    7 Kelvin Brown
    8 Max Deegan
    16 Vincent O Brien
    17 Philip Poillet
    18 Rob O Donovan
    19 Sean O Leary
    20 Conall Boomer
    21 David Aspil
    22 Johnny McPhilips
    23 Rob Little
    24 Brett Connan

7-7 25 mins gone
    Hugo Keenan with 20s try

Game finished 26-24 to Munster. Ireland got 3 late trys after lots of changes to each side....

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/22624.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Ireland u20 World Cup squad:

Backs (12):

Stephen Kerins (Sligo/Connacht)
    Niall Saunders (Epsom College/Exiles)
    Bill Johnston (Garryowen/Munster) *
    Johnny McPhillips (Queen's University/Ulster)
    Conor O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Jimmy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
    Paul Kiernan (UCC/Munster)
    Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    Terry Kennedy (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster)
    Matthew Byrne (Terenure College/Leinster)

Forwards (16):

Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)
    James Bollard (Dublin UniversityLeinster)
    Vakh Abdaladze (Clontarf/Leinster) *
    Adam McBurney (Ballymena/Ulster)
    Vincent O'Brien (Cork Constitution/Munster) *
    Conor Kenny (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    Benn Betts (Young Munster/Munster)
    Cillian Gallagher (Sligo/Connacht)
    James Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster) (capt)
    Sean O'Connor (Cashel/Munster)
    Evan Mintern (Cork Constitution/Munster) *
    Greg Jones (UCD/Leinster)
    Will Connors (UCD/Leinster)
    Max Deegan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Kelvin Brown (Shannon/Munster)
    David Aspil (St. Mary's College RFC/Leinster) *

* Denotes uncapped player at Under-20 level

Not considered due to injury:

Conan O'Donnell (Sligo/Connacht)
    Shane Fenton (Young Munster/Munster)
    Peter Claffey (Galwegians/Connacht)
    Sam Arnold (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    Jack Power (UCD/Leinster)

http://www.irishrugby.ie/mobile/news/37498.php

Delighted for Vakh, great to see his form rewarded. Not too many U20 double siding props win an AIL.

Overall I'd be pretty happy with that squad. I would have loved to see a midfield partnership of Conor O'Brien and Sam Arnold but not to be unfortunately. Bill Johnston will have a lot of pressure on him I reckon.

• Advertisement

Delighted for Vakh, great to see his form rewarded. Not too many U20 double siding props win an AIL.

Overall I'd be pretty happy with that squad. I would have loved to see a midfield partnership of Conor O'Brien and Sam Arnold but not to be unfortunately. Bill Johnston will have a lot of pressure on him I reckon.

How in the name of God was John Poland dropped. Saunders is very average, a bit like his Daddy was. And to parachute in Johnston for Connon could well backfire.
    Johnston is overhyped on the strength of getting a few Mickey Mouse warm up games for Munster last year .He did play behind a dominant Rockwell pack in Munster Schools Cup win in 2015 but even then he couldn't get their back line moving.
    Mc Phillips is flaky at the best of times so after not having played rugby for almost 6 months due to shoulder surgery Johnston will be looking forward to the swirling winds in Manchester.

rughug wrote: »
    How in the name of God was John Poland dropped. Saunders is very average, a bit like his Daddy was. And to parachute in Johnston for Connon could well backfire.
    Johnston is overhyped on the strength of getting a few Mickey Mouse warm up games for Munster last year .He did play behind a dominant Rockwell pack in Munster Schools Cup win in 2015 but even then he couldn't get their back line moving.
    Mc Phillips is flaky at the best of times so after not having played rugby for almost 6 months due to shoulder surgery Johnston will be looking forward to the swirling winds in Manchester.

I've seen nothing of Saunders but would consider Poland hard done by to be dropped. I aw a couple of the Johnston preseason games and was fairly impressed but not enough to really cast a solid opinion on him. I thought Connon was pretty poor in the 6N if I'm honest and am not too disappointed to see him dropped. Have to agree with you in relation to McPhilips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I would have taken Johnston over the other two, both were very average in 6N and the fact that McPhilips is over here in an academy already probably swung it for him, but there was not much to choose between him and Connan from what I saw.

Disappointed that Claffey has not made it and also that Arnold is not fit, he would have been our x factor. Would have like Jack Power to be there as well. Windows of opportunities for other players.

Georgian squad for world championship.
    From croket post in another thread..
    PROPS
    Nika Neparidze (Clermont/FRA)
    Giorgi Melikidze (Stade Fran ais/FRA) - 2 caps
    Lasha Tabidze (Union Bordeaux-B gles/FRA)
    Giorgi Mataradze (Aia Kutaisi)

HOOKERS
    Luka Goginava (Locomotive Tbilisi)
    Giga Khuroshvili (Armazi Tbilisi)
    Lasha Sajaia (Jiki Gori)

LOCKS
    Mikheil Babunashvili (Aia Kutaisi)
    Giorgi Javakhia (Lyon/FRA)
    Demur Epremidze (Qochebi Bolnisi)

BACKROW
    Beka Gorgadze (Stade Montois/FRA) - 7 caps
    Otar Giorgadze (Clermont/FRA) - 2 caps
    Giorgi Tsutskiridze (Brive/FRA)
    Ilia Spanderashvili (Armia Tbilisi)
    Irakli Tskhadadze (Armazi Tbilisi)

SCRUMHALVES
    Vasil Lobzhanidze (Armazi Tbilisi) - 15 caps
    Gela Aprasidze (Lelo Saracens)

FLYHALVES
    Rati Shanidze (Lelo Saracens)
    Davit Modzgvrishvili (Academia Tbilisi)

CENTRES
    Sandro Iluridze (Academia Tbilisi)
    Guram Kandaurashvili (Kharebi Rustavi)
    Giorgi Koshadze (Kharebi Rustavi)

WINGERS
    Giorgi Kveseladze (Iunkerebi)
    Davit Meskhi (Armia Tbilisi)
    Lado Miminoshvili (Batumi)

FULLBACKS
    Alexander Merkvilishvili (Armia Tbilisi)
    Mirian Modebadze (Aia Kutaisi)
    Irakli Svanidze (Jiki Gori) - 1 cap

Will Connors is out of squad due to ankle injury. Conall Boomer called up in his place

Will Connors is out of squad due to ankle injury. Conall Boomer called up in his place

Very disappointing for Will Connors. Has anyone seen much of Conall Boomer? I saw he was in Oz last year.

Team to play Wales tomorrow. Kick off 5.30pm

15. Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    14. Matthew Byrne (Terenure College/Leinster)
    13. Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    12. Conor O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    11. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster)
    10. Bill Johnston (Garryowen/Munster)
    9. Stephen Kerins (Sligo/Connacht)
    1. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)
    2. Adam McBurney (Ballymena/Ulster)
    3. Conor Kenny (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    4. Cillian Gallagher (Sligo/Connacht)
    5. James Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster) (capt)
    6. Greg Jones (UCD/Leinster)
    7. David Aspil (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    8. Max Deegan (Lansdowne/Leinster)

Replacements:
    16. Vincent O'Brien (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    17. Vakh Abdaladze (Clontarf/Leinster)
    18. Ben Betts (Young Munster/Munster)
    19. Sean O'Connor (Cashel/Munster)
    20. Kelvin Brown (Shannon/Munster)
    21. Niall Saunders (Epsom College)
    22. Johnny McPhillips (Queen's University/Ulster)
    23. Jimmy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)

I really hope Conor Kenny makes more of an impact physically in this tournament. He is a giant of a man, but never really seemed to impose himself physically during the Six Nations. At the other end of the spectrum I've been very impressed whenever I've seen Stephen Kerins play, I just hope the forwards can generate clean ball. Kerins is a diminutive 9 and if it's slow ball, I'd fear he could struggle to dig it out. Perhaps that's why Niall Saunders got selected ahead of John Poland? He offers something different, while Poland is another small scrum half and offers more of the same.

Wales U20 v Ireland
    Rhun Williams (Cardiff Blues); Tom Williams (Ospreys), Joe Thomas (Ospreys), Harri Millard (Cardiff Blues), Keelan Giles (Ospreys); Daniel Jones (Scarlets), Reuben Morgan-Williams (Ospreys); Corey Domachowski (Cardiff Blues), Dafydd Hughes (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Shane Lewis-Hughes (Cardiff Blues), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Tom Phillips (captain, Scarlets), Shaun Evans (Scarlets), Harrison Keddie (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Replacements: Liam Belcher (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Fawcett (Scarlets), Leon Brown (Newport Gwent Dragons), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Josh Macleod (Scarlets), Declan Smith (Scarlets), Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues), Billy McBryde (Scarlets)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Looking forward to seeing Bill Johnston, heard good things about him

Advertisement