Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 2016 6Nations/Junior World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

I see Wales only beat Georgia by a point. Any idea what sort of team they put out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What do you mean by early? Theyre good but let see them at pro12 level first. Think how much either have played at A level never mind not playing pr12 yet.

I know its a great day for Irish rugby - but we are always slow to bring in young players to full international compared to Southern Hemisphere - thats all

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

How many of these U20's are at full provincial level even? I only recognise Stockdale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Thank you connemara man. Blushes :-)

No problem. He's a big advocate at heads up rugby. ( Sometimes it can be to the detriment of the result) but it's great to see it pay off for himself and the players.

A lot of their decision making was great today.
    Hopefully Johnston is on the mend I can't wait to see him at provincial level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

gazump123 wrote: »
    I see Wales only beat Georgia by a point. Any idea what sort of team they put out?

Picked a few second choice forwards. Not the best idea against Georgia at any level. The hit on their points difference has pretty much ballsed up their hopes of making the last four now, even if they beat NZ.

Ireland need to start their first choice pack, or very close to it against Georgia. Probably scope for squad rotation in the backs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

How does this tournament work?

There's 3 pools of 4 teams, so how many come out of the pools?
    Its a development competition.
    So it's a bit like 7s? With a Cup, Bowl, Plate kind of thing?
    1-4 playoff for the cup. 5-8 and 9-12 playoff for positions with 12th getting relegated to the trophy for next years competition.
    I like that system. They really should carry it through at all levels. Gives lower ranked and developing countries added incentive to compete.
    Not at all levels and happens in most competitions.
    thebaz wrote: »
    I know its a great day for Irish rugby - but we are always slow to bring in young players to full international compared to Southern Hemisphere - thats all
    They have access in terms of academies earlier or have more pro teams for players to get game time in.
    How many of these U20's are at full provincial level even? I only recognise Stockdale.
    A few others have played pro12 and theyre missing on some whove played pro12 in Conan O Donnell...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

A bit late to the party but what a fantastic result and performance. Just goes to show the importance of set piece and intelligent game management. Plus the value of a good goal kicker.

Johnston is a huge loss, 2 massive performances. Incredibly impressed with Porter at scrum time. Thought he was much squarer which allowed him to used the full extent of his power at scrum time. Max Deegan and Kerins the 2 other stand outs for me. All round top performance from pretty much everyone though. The scrum to win the last pen was incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Has Gregg Jones got any closer to securing a future in pro rugby? I know last year he was kind of in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Had a slight tear in my eye when I heard the final whistle, players showed a lot of balls to get that victory, really wish Sam Arnold was availible for the squad now as this Ireland team could really give this competition a rattle with a couple more inspired performances

• Advertisement

Thought a lot of the forwards have really come into there own in this competition after appearing to not really be up to it physically in the six nations, though David Aspil who hasnt really got a mention has been immense doing all the dogged unseen work around the park, hes really added something to the pack in this tournament

Thought a lot of the forwards have really come into there own in this competition after appearing to not really be up to it physically in the six nations, though David Aspil who hasnt really got a mention has been immense doing all the dogged unseen work around the park, hes really added something to the pack in this tournament

errlloyd wrote: »
    Has Gregg Jones got any closer to securing a future in pro rugby? I know last year he was kind of in limbo.

Not that I'm aware of. Pretty sure Deegan and Will Conors have ensured he'll get nothing from Leinster. Haven't heard any rumours of other provinces or anything overseas either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭godzillaie

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of. Pretty sure Deegan and Will Conors have ensured he'll get nothing from Leinster. Haven't heard any rumours of other provinces or anything overseas either.

wouldnt assume anything, Deegan & Connors are in for sure but Jones could make it.. although I'd say Nucifora would rather see him elsewhere..

There likely will be an exodus next season of Leinster senior backrows so wait and see there.

Had a slight tear in my eye when I heard the final whistle, players showed a lot of balls to get that victory, really wish Sam Arnold was availible for the squad now as this Ireland team could really give this competition a rattle with a couple more inspired performances

not with McPhillips at 10 they won't.

Arnold isn't really missed, would have been interested to see him next to O'Brien though.

Aspil has been good, not sure he is leinster academy level though.. Ulster should be looking at him.

Will Connors is missed though.

If Leinster were smart they'd take in Vakh to the academy, let him continue to work away with Clontarf and hope he develops further. Has only been playing TH for a year afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭croket

gazump123 wrote: »

Picked a few second choice forwards. Not the best idea against Georgia at any level. The hit on their points difference has pretty much ballsed up their hopes of making the last four now, even if they beat NZ.

Ireland need to start their first choice pack, or very close to it against Georgia. Probably scope for squad rotation in the backs though.

Most of the georgian team was second choices.
    In the front row, props Neparidze (Clermont) and Melikidze (Stade Francais) were on the bench, hooker Sajaia not even in the squad.
    At lock, Javakhia not in the teamsheet, Babunashvili on the bench, Georgia played with Epremidze (3d choice) and Giorgadze (backrower)
    In the backrow, 18-years old Spanderashvili was suprisingly in the starting XV.
    The star of the team, scrumhalf Vasil Lobzhanidze, was on the bench and came on the pitch as flyhalf
    centre Iluridze on the bench.
    At fullback, Svanidze (capped by the senior team) was not in the teamsheet, 18-years old Modebadze started.

Georgia would probably have won this game if they had put their best team.
    N8 Beka Gorgadze was immense, named MOTM, and in the Dream Team of the Day2.
    Georgia was very aggressive in defense, I can't remember how many knock-ons the welsh did thanks to georgian tackles.
    Also, even with this forward pack, Georgia destroyed Wales in scrum.
    I think the team was scared against the baby blacks and played at 200% against Wales.
    I'm looking forward to see what's will be the team who will face Ireland, but I hope to see the first choice team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

On holiday so just catching up on a few things now. Didn't see the match but just wanted to offer my congratulations to the Irish. Well done. Hopefully the kiwi boys can get their **** together and still make the semis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    On holiday so just catching up on a few things now. Didn't see the match but just wanted to offer my congratulations to the Irish. Well done. Hopefully the kiwi boys can get their **** together and still make the semis.
    i dont hope they make it to the semis whatsover

godzillaie wrote: »

not with McPhillips at 10 they won't.

Arnold isn't really missed, would have been interested to see him next to O'Brien though.
    How could you possibly say Sam Arnold hasnt been missed without seeing what impact he could have brought to the team? , daily has improved from game to game but is nowhere near as good as Arnold

i dont hope they make it to the semis whatsover

Everyone makes it to the semis.

• Advertisement

godzillaie wrote: »

Aspil has been good, not sure he is leinster academy level though.. Ulster should be looking at him.

Will Connors is missed though.

If Leinster were smart they'd take in Vakh to the academy, let him continue to work away with Clontarf and hope he develops further. Has only been playing TH for a year afaik.
    Never said he would make Leinster Academy lad , I'm giving him props on solid performances..., yep the best for his career certainly would be Ulster or perhaps Munster to compete with the likes of Conor Oliver, Dan Walsh etc. He would be behind a massive back log at Leinster.

How could you possibly say Sam Arnold hasnt been missed without seeing what impact he could have brought to the team? , daily has improved from game to game but is nowhere near as good as Arnold

O'Brien/Daly have made a good partnership.. Arnold really not missed due to their performance.

Never said he would make Leinster Academy lad , I'm giving him props on solid performances..., yep the best for his career certainly would be Ulster or perhaps Munster to compete with the likes of Conor Oliver, Dan Walsh etc. He would be behind a massive back log at Leinster.

I didn't say you did. You praised him for immense performances.. which is a bit much.. he has been good but not amazing.. He'd be better off at Ulster, not much competition at 7 there apart from Nick Timoney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Whatever happened to that English guy who played 8 for us a few years back. Ginger lad named Joyce. Think he was/is at Ulster?

funtime93 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that English guy who played 8 for us a few years back. Ginger lad named Joyce. Think he was/is at Ulster?

Still with Ulster. Not athletic enough really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

20s team for Georgia

15. Brett Connon (Newcastle Falcons/Exiles)
    14. Terry Kennedy (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    13. Jimmy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
    12. Paul Kiernan (UCC/Munster) (capt)
    11. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster)
    10. Johnny McPhillips (Queen's University/Ulster)
    9. Niall Saunders (Harlequins/Exiles)
    1. James Bollard (Dublin University/Leinster)
    2. Vincent O'Brien (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    3. Vakh Abdaladze (Clontarf/Leinster)
    4. Evan Mintern (Cork Constitution/Munster) *
    5. Sean O'Connor (Cashel/Munster)
    6. Greg Jones (UCD/Leinster)
    7. Conall Boomer (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *
    8. Kelvin Brown (Shannon/Munster)

Replacements:

16. Adam McBurney (Ballymena/Ulster)
    17. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)
    18. Adam Coyle (Naas/Leinster)
    19. James Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    20. Max Deegan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    21. Stephen Kerins (Sligo/Connacht)
    22. Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    23. Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

* Denotes uncapped player at Under-20 level

Risky team, could see us getting turned over by Georgia to be honest

Are we playing today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Are we playing today?
    Tomorrow. Then Monday and the following Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I get the need to rest players but jaysus, we saw what Georgia did to Wales second XV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

Match day squad
    Georgia - Ireland | Manchester City Academy
    15/06/2016 | 20:30 (Georgian time) – LIVE via Georgian Public Broadcaster Channel Two

Backs

15. Mirian Modebadze (AIA, Didi 10, Geo), 14. Lado Miminoshvili (Batumi, Didi 10, Geo), 13. Giorgi Koshadze (Kharebi, League 1, Geo), 12. Giorgi Kveseladze (Armazi, Didi 10, Geo), 11. Sandro Merkvilishvili (Armia, Didi 10, Geo), 10. David Modzgvrishvili (Academia, Didi 10, Geo), 9. Vasil Lobzhanidze - Cap (Armazi, Didi 10, Geo)

Forwards

1. Tornike Mataradze (AIA, Didi 10, Geo), 2. Lasha Sajaia (Jiki, Didi 10, Geo), 3. Lasha Tabidze (Bordoeux, Fra), 4. Mikheil Babunashvili (AIA, Didi 10, Geo), 5. Otar Giorgadze (Clermont, Fra), 6. Ilia Spanderashvili (Armia, Didi 10, Geo), 7. Giorgi Tsutskiridze (Brive, Fra), 8. Beka Gorgadze (Mon de Marsan, Fra)

Reserves

16. Giorgi Khuroshvili (Armazi, Didi 10, Geo), 17. Luka Goginava (Locomotive, Didi 10, Geo), 18. Giorgi Melikidze (Stade France), 19. Demur Epremidze (Kochebi, Didi 10, Geo), 20. Irakli Tskhadadze (Armazi, Didi 10, Geo), 21. Gela Afrasidze (Lelo Saracens, Didi 10, Geo), 22. Sandro Iluridze (Academia, Didi 10, Geo), 23. Rati Shanidze (Lelo Saracens, Didi 10, Geo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Could be pretty foolhardy putting a weakened team out to the Georgians

Georgia are +32 on Paddypower...
    ...bit high considering the two teams named..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

wp_rathead wrote: »

Absolutely lumping on that.

wp_rathead wrote: »

Probably not the place to discuss it but what does that mean exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It means you're betting on Georgia to win with a headstart of 32 points basically.

Hagz wrote: »
    It means you're betting on Georgia to win with a headstart of 32 points basically.

So if you put money on it and Ireland win 20-0, you'd win the bet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

yeh

ya just basically add 32 to Georgia's final score
    so if score was Ireland 30-5 Georgia, the score with the +32 would be 30-37 so you'd win your bet

• Advertisement

Anything up to a 31 point win for Ireland and Georgia win the bet.

Alternatively, you could bet on Ireland and anything from a 33 point winning margin upwards sees them win the bet.

They're 10/11 at +32 though. You'd have to put a fair bit on to win anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

The Georgians are always a tough test physically, but their half backs are particularly small. Obviously Lobzhanidze is a quality player, so we need to make the ruck area as untidy as possible for him and put him under pressure. However, Modzgvrishvili may be worth targeting with our big runners in the ten channel. There seems to be a theme of diminutive backs in their squad as Aprasidze and Shanidze on the bench are also small. The former is actually still u18 eligible.

Putting 200 euro on georgia at plus 32

returns 381.

They're 10/11 at +32 though. You'd have to put a fair bit on to win anything.

Even money (roughly) for a single game are grand as far as odds go. Double the money.

+32 seems crazy for the team we've put out. I still think we should win. We still have a good front row, been impressed with Vincent O'Brien from what I've seen when he's played. Back line looks a bit short on physicality and direction to me. Looking forward to seeing Terry Kennedy, hopefully he can produce some magic.

• Advertisement

Also, 3 English lads in the starting backline is a terrible sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Why? We have a large diaspora, and if it's a sign of young Irish lads living abroad wanting to come back and play for us, and that the Exiles system is working, why would we turn them down? Unless you're suggesting that they have no Irish heritage (I don't know, TBH) and we're poaching underage foreign talent...

wouldnt say it's a terrible sign but it's not encouraging that amount of backs we rely upon at underage level that are exiles... need to improve back development in every province.

Niall Saunders is there ahead of John Poland(Munster).
    Johnny McPhillips is there ahead of Andrew MaGrath(Ulster).
    Brett Connon is there ahead of David O'Mahony(Munster).

Zzippy wrote: »
    Why? We have a large diaspora, and if it's a sign of young Irish lads living abroad wanting to come back and play for us, and that the Exiles system is working, why would we turn them down? Unless you're suggesting that they have no Irish heritage (I don't know, TBH) and we're poaching underage foreign talent...

Most of the time the exiles aren't good enough to play for england and end up here.. now i'm not saying that is the case always but it certainly happens..

says a lot about this age group and the development done by the provinces or lack there of when backup 9 is a u19 exile and the backup 10 and 3rd choice 10 are both exiles.

None of the provinces could produce a decent outhalf for the 1996 age group.

Well regards the two "exiles" Niall Saunders is son of Rob Saunders, Irish international scrumhalf and Brett Connon's dad is a Dub, and his older brother played u18s for Ireland

Wouldn't call either English rejects

• Advertisement
Advertisement