Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 2016 6Nations/Junior World Cup

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭godzillaie

9 exiles played for Ireland underage this year:

1 Prop: Fergus O'Brien(U18)
    1 Backrow: Jonjo Fanning(U18)
    2 Scrumhalves: Niall Saunders(U19/U20), Alex Crocker(U18)
    1 Outhalf: Johnny McPhillips(U20)
    1 Centre: James Newey(U18)
    3 Back Three: Brett Connon(U20), Conor Wharton(U18), Ollie Brown (U18)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

I don't have a problem on an individual basis and no problem with it on a theoretical basis but I think it says something pretty awful about what we are doing if we can't produce players of a high enough calibre to play this level. 1 OH from a year is not good to see, particularly seeing as he is a year young so in essence there is no Irish produced OT this age group. If we're honest the chances are if these guys were good enough they'd be playing for England in general.

I like the exiles system and have no issue with exiles playing for Ireland.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem on an individual basis and no problem with it on a theoretical basis but I think it says something pretty awful about what we are doing if we can't produce players of a high enough calibre to play this level. 1 OH from a year is not good to see, particularly seeing as he is a year young so in essence there is no Irish produced OT this age group. If we're honest the chances are if these guys were good enough they'd be playing for England in general.

yeah it's a poor year in terms of the provinces developing homegrown scrumhalves and outhalves at this age group.

Leinster have had a player at each position at u20 level nearly every year and this year they don't.

Connon woudn't be there if it wasn't for injury both to Johnston and Jack Power.
    Saunders is viewed as the best irish scrumhalf at his age grade - 1997. Now is that because he is excellent or because how poorly irish rugby is at developing scrumhalves i'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

godzillaie wrote: »
    None of the provinces could produce a decent outhalf for the 1996 age group.

F*ck me I feel old now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Also, 3 English lads in the starting backline is a terrible sign.
    Saying English lads is a bit unfair... Exiles are normally quite strong at under 18 level and then as some get offers from premiership/other sides in England we don't see them as much at under 19/20 level. Great to see more coming through
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Why? We have a large diaspora, and if it's a sign of young Irish lads living abroad wanting to come back and play for us, and that the Exiles system is working, why would we turn them down? Unless you're suggesting that they have no Irish heritage (I don't know, TBH) and we're poaching underage foreign talent...
    We're not poaching anything and you have to be irish qualified to play for them and therefore anyone playing will have irish parents/grandparents. Its a good system to have

I don't think you can say we're doing anything wrong just because in 1 specific age group that 2 players for a main position are exiles players.
    I don't think you can say at all that if good enough these players would choose England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Mathew Gilsenan was the outhalf when this team were u18 what happened to him? injured ? not god enough?. Also is strange to look back and see how players have developed from the FIRA u18s which ireland came second in. Jonny Guy was starting ahead of Greg Jones (a year young), Colm Mulcahy was centre (what happened to him?), and Jordan Larmour started on the wing (exceptional talent).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Also Charlie Cregan had a great tournament

We're not poaching anything and you have to be irish qualified to play for them and therefore anyone playing will have irish parents/grandparents. Its a good system to have

That's exactly what I was saying.

Mathew Gilsenan was the outhalf when this team were u18 what happened to him? injured ? not god enough?. Also is strange to look back and see how players have developed from the FIRA u18s which ireland came second in. Jonny Guy was starting ahead of Greg Jones (a year young), Colm Mulcahy was centre (what happened to him?), and Jordan Larmour started on the wing (exceptional talent).
    He was outhalf on the schools side that year. Maybe he simply hasn't progressed like others have. Larmour was still in school so wasn't eligible for 20s.
    The youths and exiles players are also eligible for 20s and these wouldn't have been playing on that FIRA team
    Zzippy wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was saying.
    I assumed that and meant to add something else but ....

Gilsenan failed to improve, ended up as backup 10 for leinster u20 this year.
    Mulcahy tore his ACL twice since that tournament.
    Larmour and Guy should be involved next year.
    Charlie Cregan missed a lot of time with injury.

Everyone bar Larmour played for UCD u20's this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rocko

Have Georgia many changes from the first 2 games?

+32 seems crazy alrite

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dropped to +30 already with us all lumping on it :D

i reckon it might drop another couple of points before kick off

Rocko wrote: »
    Have Georgia many changes from the first 2 games?

+32 seems crazy alrite
    They made 10 or 11 changes between the NZ and Welsh games. Reading elsewhere the Georgians are targeting their fourth and fifth games more than these games and they'll have more of their first choice side out against us as they prep to try not finish 12th which I think they will. They'll beat either Italy, Japan if they've to play either.

Saying English lads is a bit unfair... Exiles are normally quite strong at under 18 level and then as some get offers from premiership/other sides in England we don't see them as much at under 19/20 level. Great to see more coming through
    I don't think you can say we're doing anything wrong just because in 1 specific age group that 2 players for a main position are exiles players.
    I don't think you can say at all that if good enough these players would choose England

I agree to some extent on everything you've said but let's be honest in the majority of cases they are born in the UK and live their whole life their unless they're signed for a province. I would strongly imagine if 90% of them were offered places in English age grade stuff they would take it over exiles.

I agree in relation to your comment on poaching and agree that's it's a good system to have and this year if anything has proved that.

I don't think it's a huge cause for concern was just saying it really is not a great sign and hopefully will not continue.

I'm fairly concerned about todays game.. not much experience at this level in the starting team apart from Greg Jones, Johnny McPhillips & Hugo Keenan.

Will almost certainly need bench to pull out the win.

I'm fairly concerned about todays game.. not much experience at this level in the starting team apart from Greg Jones, Johnny McPhillips & Hugo Keenan.

Will almost certainly need bench to pull out the win.
    Definitely think we'll need the bench but it is a very strong bench in fairness and should be the winning of the game. I reckon we'll win by 10-15 with a try or 2 late on.

Definitely think we'll need the bench but it is a very strong bench in fairness and should be the winning of the game. I reckon we'll win by 10-15 with a try or 2 late on.

Hopefully, I expect the georgia scrum to be dominant given their performance to date.
    Think we will win but it will be close.

Bookies are miles off.

if they get thunderstorms over there, which forecasts are threatening, it could be quite close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    if they get thunderstorms over there, which forecasts are threatening, it could be quite close

If there are thunderstorms in Manchester I'll go nuts! I'm on my way to the Etihad... :/

• Advertisement

If there are thunderstorms in Manchester I'll go nuts! I'm on my way to the Etihad... :/

accuweather has thunderstorms between 5 and 7

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/manchester/m15-6/hourly-weather-forecast/329260?hour=17

what time are the roses on at?

She bangs the drums? Waterfall? ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There was a match the other day had to be called off because of thunder and lightning. They have to wait 30 mins after lightning before returning to the field. In the end they had to agree to continue the match at a later date.

Line now +29

Line now +29

down to +27 now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

James Ryan out as precaution, Cillian Gallagher replaces him on the bench. If anyone was on at +32, wouldn't be bad idea to get on at -27 now. Chances are you'll lose 9% of initial investment doing this but anywhere in the 28-31 range and both bets are up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Score updates would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Is this on the red button on sky or just on TG4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Score updates would be appreciated :)

The phrase full credit to Ireland has been said about 15 times by the analysts from Wales and New Zealand. The bitterness is soothing.

Baby blacks coach has gone full Ronaldo "we need to learn to play teams who don't want to play rugby".

Surely the old fashioned pushy shovey physical style is rugby? This fancy stuff the Kiwis do is something else entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Is this on the red button on sky or just on TG4?

It's on sky sports4

• Advertisement

Ominous scrum from Georgia

Georgia try from the scumhalf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Not a great start from Ireland, knock on under no pressure, then poor enough defence for the try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Scrum-Half Saunders looks very good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Nice try.

Keenan gas scores, tough kick to come. 7-5. Tmo checking too

Georgian checked for a punch and kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Could be a Red for Georgia as well.

Great finish, try? Tmo

Ref checking for a bit of violent play

Try Ireland much better play, some lovely hands.

Georgia player could be in trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

great try and passage of play despite some hard tackling from georgia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Red for that?? Yellow at most was nothing in it

Red card. It was a weak kick, but I think any kick is a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Georgia +32 backers devastated by a Georgian red card.

That's his afternoon over

Try given

Red card 8 mins gone for Geogia player

Did anyone see a different Georgian player kick an Irish player in the head there?

EDIT: Never mind, saw it from the other angle and he didn't make contact.

Scores level at 7

Was there another kick towards the head just after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

A nothing kick but a kick nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

A-Train wrote: »
    Red card 8 mins gone for Geogia player

What was the offence?

Advertisement