Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 2016 6Nations/Junior World Cup

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭godzillaie

I would have though it was the change in the front row

It was the red card mostly, then the huge upgrade in the pack when Porter, Deegan and Gallagher were on the field.

I would have though it was the change in the front row

Odd that you are so shy to praise Coyle specifically when nearly all your posts on the board involve you praising him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bazvanchaz

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    How can you possibly say the red card was not the turning point of the game? It's literally one of the biggest impacting things which can happen in a game.

What I said was the red card along with Deegan coming on didn't improve the scrum and the breakdown, never implied those 2 coming on was the main turning point in the game. Ofcousre the red card had a bearing on how the game went but I was invited to pick that other guys post apart so that's all I was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MunsterMike

godzillaie wrote: »
    Odd that you are so shy to praise Coyle specifically when nearly all your posts on the board involve you praising him.
    And you with Porter and Vak we all see players that impress us . But like I said the introduction of new props made a difference . Credit where it's due .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

But he never said that Deegan or Gallagher or the red card improved the scrum. He never responded to your original post and didn't quote you. It's a fabricated argument.

bazvanchaz wrote: »
    What I said was the red card along with Deegan coming on didn't improve the scrum and the breakdown, never implied those 2 coming on was the main turning point in the game. Ofcousre the red card had a bearing on how the game went but I was invited to pick that other guys post apart so that's all I was doing.

Porter was the difference in the scrum, breakdown and in general play. Coyle had very little impact on the game and certainly wasn't the difference between the sides.

And you with Porter and Vak we all see players that impress us . But like I said the introduction of new props made a difference . Credit where it's due .

I think you'll find I am not on this board hyping one player in particular, unlike you and some other new posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bazvanchaz

No no, it was Coyle coming on. He was the changing of the result.

No not the changing of the result but coyle along with porter helped us control the scrum and the breakdown which led to us seeing out the game a lot easier than we had been which is what I've said all along so I don't know why I keep getting responses that make out like I said it was the main turning point of the game. Do you only do one sentence replies and don't bother adding any weight to your opinion?

Porter was the difference in the scrum, breakdown and in general play. Coyle had very little impact on the game and certainly wasn't the difference between the sides.

Don't think anyone said that to be honest , all that was said was the change in the props made a difference in the scrum .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sportmad2016

Surely the tight head stabilising the scrum even when the opposition prop tries to hinge and bore is the reason that the Irish side had a more controlled final 30 minutes. Coyle's contribution to this is significant as can be seen from his first scrum on about 60 minutes. The change in the front row at that stage was ctitical to allowing Ireland finish out the game. At that stage the front row was creaking badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

i reckon a combination of Porter and Vakh is far stronger than Coyle and Porter, Vakh was made to look a worse scrummager due to the fact Bollard was getting destroyed. When Porter and Vakh were on against New Zealand the scrum looked the strongest its looked all year.

What irritates me is how on earth Vakh wasnt picked by Carolan in the six nations he looks very good in this tournament.
    Anyone know what kind of player Cosgrove is ? , as mentioned already he's on stand by for gallagher

i reckon a combination of Porter and Vakh is far stronger than Coyle and Porter, Vakh was made to look a worse scrummager due to the fact Bollard was getting destroyed. When Porter and Vakh were on against New Zealand the scrum looked the strongest its looked all year.

What irritates me is how on earth Vakh wasnt picked by Carolan in the six nations he looks very good in this tournament.
    Anyone know what kind of player Cosgrove is ? , as mentioned already he's on stand by for gallagher

Cosgrove is a decent backrow, not the most athletic.

Cosgrove is a decent backrow, not the most athletic.
    I see, in what sense is he not athletic, is he at least a decent ballcarrier ?

I see, in what sense is he not athletic, is he at least a decent ballcarrier ?

In the sense he is probably only a 6, big enoug but not explosive athlete.

decent ball carrier.

If Gallagher is injured a back 5 of this could work:
    8. Deegan
    7. Boomer
    6. Aspil
    5.jones
    4. Ryan
    Risking the likes of Cosgrove in a cup Semi might not be the best idea

If Gallagher is injured a back 5 of this could work:
    8. Deegan
    7. Boomer
    6. Aspil
    5.jones
    4. Ryan
    Risking the likes of Cosgrove in a cup Semi might not be the best idea

that wont be it.

1. Porter
    2. McBurney
    3. Betts
    4. O'Connor
    5. Ryan
    6. Jones
    7. Aspill
    8. Deegan
    9. Kerins
    10. McPhillips
    11. Keenan
    12. O'Brien
    13. Daly
    14. Byrne
    15. Stockdale

Think Boomer added far more around the pitch than O'connor in the Georgia game despite being named man of the match , but that could be my slight bias of not liking light weight averagely physical second rows

And hes got a cooler name, even more of a reason to pick him

Think Boomer added far more around the pitch than O'connor in the Georgia game despite being named man of the match , but that could be my slight bias of not liking light weight averagely physical second rows

O'Connor got man of the match and is a natural second row, better player than Boomer is a 7.

There is almost 0 chance the pack you listed plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Redpill

Is it confirmed that gallagher is out for the semi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Redpill wrote: »
    Is it confirmed that gallagher is out for the semi?

Out of the entire tournament I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Redpill

Out of the entire tournament I read.

Shame hes impressed all tournament but atleast hes still has another year at this age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ireland U20s:

15. Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins / Ulster)
    14. Matthew Byrne (Terenure / Leinster)
    13. Shane Daly (Cork Con / Munster)
    12. Conor O’Brien (Clontarf / Leinster)
    11. Hugo Keenan (UCD / Leinster)
    10. Johnny McPhillips (Queen’s University / Ulster)
    9. Stephen Kerins (Sligo / Connacht)
    1. Andrew Porter (UCD / Leinster)
    2. Adam McBurney (Ballymena / Ulster)
    3. Ben Betts (Young Munster / Munster)
    4. Sean O’Connor (Cashel / Munster)
    5. James Ryan (Lansdowne / Leinster) Captain
    6. Greg Jones (UCD / Leinster)
    7. David Aspil (St.Mary’s RFC / Leinster)
    8. Max Deegan (Lansdowne / Leinster)
    Replacements
    16. Vincent O’Brien (Cork Con / Munster)
    17. James Bollard (Dublin University / Leinster)
    18. Adam Coyle (Naas / Leinster)
    19. Evan Mintern (Cork Con / Munster)
    20. Kelvin Brown (Shannon / Munster)
    21. Niall Saunders (Harlequins)
    22. Brett Connon (Newcastle Falcons)
    23. Jimmy O’Brien (UCD / Leinster)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope we win today, it's a massive achievement to beat The current u20 6 nations champs and the all blacks. We seem to struggle against Argentina in very grade at world cups but hopefully we will get that monkey off our back today

All the attention is on the soccer lads this month and feel sorry for these u20 lads as only die hard rugby fans know it's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

5.30pm today on Sky Sports 3 and TG4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Number 137

Los Pumitas: 1. Rubén Ricco, 2. Gaspar Baldunciel, 3. Santiago Medrano; 4. Franco Molina, 5. Ignacio Calas; 6. Marcos Kremer, 7. Mariano Romanini, 8. Vicente Boronat; 9. Patricio Baronio, 10. Domingo Miotti; 11. Julián Domínguez, 12. Santiago Mare, 13. Juan Cruz Mallía (cap), 14. Tomás Malanos; 15. Bautista Delguy.

Suplentes: 16. Román Pretz, 17. Santiago Pulella, 18. Gonzalo Del Pazo, 19. Conrado Roura, 20. Bautista Stávile, 21. Lautaro Bazán, 22. Martín Elías, 23. Nicolás Osadczuk.

I'm slightly concerned about the impact our bench brings. The odd injury we've had has mean't that our depth is being tested, and now our bench looks average enough. Are there any game changers there? For example, Del Pazo on the Argentine bench is a big powerful ball carrier who usually makes an impact. I'm not sure we have a player like that. I think this will be our toughest game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I'd have like for Terry Kennedy to be in the 23 shirt, definitely brings an impact in attack and covers the back three better than those on the benches.

I thought Kennedy looked good in attack against Georgia, but I can understand why they go with Jimmy O'Brien at 23. He covers both centre positions and could do a job at ten, while Connon can cover full back. Is Kennedy an out and out winger or can he play full back too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Number 137 wrote: »
    I thought Kennedy looked good in attack against Georgia, but I can understand why they go with Jimmy O'Brien at 23. He covers both centre positions and could do a job at ten, while Connon can cover full back. Is Kennedy an out and out winger or can he play full back too?

He's played more at fullback than wing. I'd have had O'Brien in the 22 shirt and Kennedy wearing 23.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Wales getting trounced by New Zealand. 19-0 after 6 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jesus.

You think the All Black's are a bit pissed off with how this tournament has gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Jesus this a whitewash. Wales getting absolutely obliterated. Disallowed try but NZ streets ahead in the first half 35-5

Nightmare for Wales 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wales have looked like they are getting worse by the game in this tournament. I'm not so sure that the All-Blacks are as good as they are looking in this one.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wales have looked like they are getting worse by the game in this tournament. I'm not so sure that the All-Blacks are as good as they are looking in this one.

Wales looked like a tired team today ! Nothing like the Wales that played the 6 nations .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

really looking forward to this - Ireland have done great so far - but was massively impressed by the young Pumas at the main WC - should be really interesting - ever since Connachts victory , Irish rugby has been on the rebound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Haha McBurney's drawing of Porter...I see what he did there...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

cant get near a tv for this, if anyone is posting about the game could they include scores please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The auld nerves starting to tingle now!!
    This Argentinian team have looked really good throughout the 3 group games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Argies looking very emotional. Hopefully prone to a few mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Argies look up for this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Pumas rightly hyped up for anthem!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Argies very emotional. That or they all forgot to use the toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Try for Stockdale. Up the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Lovely cross field kick by McPhillips. Nice try. Great start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

good start by Ireland

just saw Georgia beat italy, be great if the Georgians were added to the U20 6Nations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Try Ireland. Jacob Stockdale.

Ireland mauled into the Arg 22 and got a penalty advantage. Kicked a crossfield kick and it eventually landed into Stockdale's hands and he fell over the line.
    Conversion made.

Ire 7-0 Arg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Good start, will have settled the nerves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭A-Train

Great start

Advertisement