Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Ivy

Options
  • 23-07-2015 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I have a 600mm high wall around my garden and instead of painting it we are considering planting a climbing ivy to cover both sides.
    When is a good time to plant it and how much space would you leave between each plant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A 2ft wall? Assuming you mean a higher wall, there are a couple of things to consider. Firstly Boston Ivy is not ivy (hedera) which is probably a good thing, but it is very vigorous. It is an attractive plant but will need a reasonable amount of care to keep it under control and looking tidy.

Also, as with any plant, if you grow it on a north facing wall it will put a lot of its energy into trying to get over the wall to the sun - it prefers sunny site and will not do so well north facing.

It will lose its leaves in winter, leaving a network of dormant vines on the wall. If you do decide to take it down it will leave a tracing of sucker marks on the wall, though these are not harmful to the wall.

You will not need too many plants - one will cover a very large wall fairly quickly. This does depend on which way the wall faces and how good the soil is. I suggest you plant them alternately on either side of the wall, maybe about 15 to 20 ft apart. It will also grow onto anything adjacent to the wall.

Advertisement