Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 950 / 950XL? [Stock info/Stores/Networks etc]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Griffinx wrote: »
    Has anyone got the 950Prepay in any of the Meteor stores? Can't find it in stock anywhere and its not online with them either.

You can buy it direct from Microsoft or retail outlets such as clove.co.uk or amazon etc. There is no advantage to buying it from a mobile operator, in fact they are likely to restrict it in some way especially when it comes to software updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

wrt40 wrote: »
    You can buy it direct from Microsoft or retail outlets such as clove.co.uk or amazon etc. There is no advantage to buying it from a mobile operator, in fact they are likely to restrict it in some way especially when it comes to software updates.

The advantage is price...You cant beat Meteor on this one €469

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Griffinx wrote: »
    The advantage is price...You cant beat Meteor on this one €469

Well that's an incentive alright :) Where do you see it for sale for €469?

wrt40 wrote: »
    Well that's an incentive alright :) Where do you see it for sale for €469?

Its in the Meteor Christmas catalog also priced in store at €469 even though they didn't have them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭circadian

Anyone get theirs from three yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Does anyone happen to know the price of the 950 in CPW on Meteor Billpay upgrade on the Super 4G plan? CPW don't have it on their site and Customer Support can't tell as a result. Plus, the stores aren't picking up...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Does anyone happen to know the price of the 950 in CPW on Meteor Billpay upgrade on the Super 4G plan? CPW don't have it on their site and Customer Support can't tell as a result. Plus, the stores aren't picking up...!

Same price as meteor have it

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Same price as meteor have it

Cheers! :)

I think I'll go in after work and get it so. I really wanted the 950 XL but since Meteor don't/won't stock it, I guess the 950 will do. Coming from the 1020, I'm looking forward to using an overall faster device that also doesn't take an age to take a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Cheers! :)

I think I'll go in after work and get it so. I really wanted the 950 XL but since Meteor don't/won't stock it, I guess the 950 will do. Coming from the 1020, I'm looking forward to using an overall faster device that also doesn't take an age to take a picture.

There is still a small delay taking pictures to be honest but nothing like the 1020

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

jimmynokia wrote: »
    There is still a small delay taking pictures to be honest but nothing like the 1020

There's absolutely no delay from shot-to-shot for me on the 950XL, like literally zero. It does all the processing in the background, and so it's just lightning fast.

I would estimate about 1 second between having the phone fully locked, pressing the camera button the first time, and then being able to press it the second time to take a photo.

This is with RAW photos enabled too. Easily the fastest Windows phone I've had for taking photos. 950 can't be much different.

• Advertisement

I ended up getting the 950 in black from Meteor as CPW had no stock. I haven't opened it up yet but when I do, I'll no doubt end up taking a load of pics to test out the camera; just like I did 2 years ago when I got my 1020 :D I love new phones, especially when they're FREE*.

*I know it's not really FREE as I'm tied to a contract and will end up paying Meteor back some of the cost of the handset etc, but you get the sentiment all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I ended up getting the 950 in black from Meteor as CPW had no stock. I haven't opened it up yet but when I do, I'll no doubt end up taking a load of pics to test out the camera; just like I did 2 years ago when I got my 1020 :D I love new phones, especially when they're FREE*.

*I know it's not really FREE as I'm tied to a contract and will end up paying Meteor back some of the cost of the handset etc, but you get the sentiment all the same.

Hope you enjoy it!

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's absolutely no delay from shot-to-shot for me on the 950XL, like literally zero. It does all the processing in the background, and so it's just lightning fast.

I would estimate about 1 second between having the phone fully locked, pressing the camera button the first time, and then being able to press it the second time to take a photo.

This is with RAW photos enabled too. Easily the fastest Windows phone I've had for taking photos. 950 can't be much different.

Are you saving too internal or external memory?
    Have you tried taking 4 or 5 in quick succession? Thats when I notice it happening but I have it saving to the card

Yeah looks like there's a 2 second delay after taking 5 in a row, which is odd, but maybe that's the limits of the background processing. This is to internal memory.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The display dock is back in stock if anybody is looking to claim one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

950 got latest update as Insiders have, without Windows Insider, 10.0.10586.29 same as desktop WinX.
    There's an update for Outlook after OS update - finally linked inboxes in Outlook :)
    I'll post a brief hands on review in next few days as I'll have been using the phone for over a week by then.
    So far, so good once I got over the underwhelming feeling when I unboxed the 950...

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    950 got latest update as Insiders have, without Windows Insider, 10.0.10586.29 same as desktop WinX.
    There's an update for Outlook after OS update - finally linked inboxes in Outlook :)
    I'll post a brief hands on review in next few days as I'll have been using the phone for over a week by then.
    So far, so good once I got over the underwhelming feeling when I unboxed the 950...

I still haven't gotten that update, even though I'm on the fast ring of Insider builds :(

Anything from three yet? Still no phones for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MickH503

MJohnston wrote: »
    I still haven't gotten that update, even though I'm on the fast ring of Insider builds :(
    Apparently Microsoft are aware of some 950s not getting the updates and are investigating. I had same issue and did a hard reset this morning and got the .29 update straight away after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

MickH503 wrote: »
    Apparently Microsoft are aware of some 950s not getting the updates and are investigating. I had same issue and did a hard reset this morning and got the .29 update straight away after that.

They are aware of it, and I'd expect an update in a day or so.

In the meantime, one possible solution (which I haven't tested myself) is to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to restore your phone to the latest version... http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Well what do you know, I can use Continuum on my Amazon FireTV stick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'm off tomorrow and heading into town to get the last of my chrimbo presents. There's loads of Vodafone shops around. I'm due an upgrade..................

Picked up my 950 from Meteor yesterday and I'm liking it so far..initial thoughts are windows 10 is a great improvement, lot of new settings and options. Some apps don't work eg MetroMail which I used a lot. Some of my existing USB chargers haven't got enough power to charge my 950. Here maps and Drive are gone, don't know how good the replacement Navigation app is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I see meter got it now amd it is very reasonable priced.
    99eu on with 40eu per month. Iam really really tempted to get it. I am due update since November of 2014... And I am not going with android again as no point. Same os and only physical changes from my experia z.

No snapchat on it weirdly enough. Wtf with that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ok so I've been using the 950xl for a couple of days alone and feels it's a good time to give a verdict.

I was using a 1520 then a 640 in the past months all already running Windows 10 so I was pretty much used to the os and it's missing apps. Saying that, there are no apps I particularly miss now that Ulster Bank released.

The screen is a little smaller than the 1520, but I've dropped the display scaling so I actually get more content on the screen. The clarity on the display is amazing, I'm really glad to be back to a OLED screen as I love how the black's look.

Windows Hello is a great feature and I've gotten very used to unlocking the phone just by staring at the winky face, it feels very futuristic and even works in complete darkness.

I've not really dug into the camera l, but it should be at least as good as the 1520, though the few pic I've taken have been much faster.

The device feels thinner in the hand than the other Lumia's. The plastic back does not feel as cheap as the old plastic on the Samsung galaxies, the charging is really quick, looking at about an hour for a full charge.

I would recommend anybody that picks up the 950 or XL in the next couple of days do a hard reset before setting up the phone fully. There is a known issue with installing the .29 build which improves battery performance. I expect MS to gave this fixed however in the next few days.

If your on an annual upgrade cycle then I would recommend this over the 1520, if you are on a two year cycle and are currently on a 1520/930 then I'd probably wait till next Autumn for the rumored Panos Panay Surface phone.

I'll add feedback on Continuum after my dock arrives.

Went in, Vodafone wanted 370 for an upgrade... 370.. And I'm not on a low tariff plan either. That's ridiculous.

How long did you have 1520 for?

Bout a year and a half or that. I#d expect that price for an upgrade after 3 months or something but not after a year and a half on the red super extra tariff.

While they generally have decent coverage, their pricing is stuck in 2009.

I'm guessing you weren't trading in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 silvelu88

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Bout a year and a half or that. I#d expect that price for an upgrade after 3 months or something but not after a year and a half on the red super extra tariff.
    I had my 1520 since April 2014 and upgraded it few days ago to 950 for 99.99. Did you go to the store or checked it online? You better do the latter, I would assume the store rep is misinformed.

Edit. I also kept the 1520, so the trade would be free I believe.

Advertisement