Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 950 / 950XL? [Stock info/Stores/Networks etc]

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Remote Desktop app for UWP is planned for technical preview in the next few weeks.

Remote Desktop via Continuum will be the real game changer for me personally. I already have a power house PC at home, Continuum dock plus this gives me full productivity from any screen with HDMI or DisplayPort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

liamog wrote: »
    The Remote Desktop app for UWP is planned for technical preview in the next few weeks.

Remote Desktop via Continuum will be the real game changer for me personally. I already have a power house PC at home, Continuum dock plus this gives me full productivity from any screen with HDMI or DisplayPort.

Do you VPN into your home PC? This could be a missing piece of the jigsaw. I tried this with Windows Phone 8.1 and a Netgear router, it's nigh on impossible. Windows phone really needs an OpenVPN app. Especially if they are going to promote the remote desktop universal app as a way to connect to a workplace or a home pc via continuum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

It should work with any L2TP type solution, I agree OpenVPN would be a welcome addition. I currently use ether.net for my connections and it can also handle OpenVPN connections in tandem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Very interesting news.

If Citrix could update their Client for Windows 8/RT with Continuum support, too, then that would make these phones a brilliant choice for businesses and Road Warriors (not the Mad Max kind, though). Instead of thin clients, it would be dead easy to publish apps and desktops so you plug the phone in, Continuum, and have full access to work apps and desktops.

circadian wrote: »
    It should work with any L2TP type solution, I agree OpenVPN would be a welcome addition. I currently use ether.net for my connections and it can also handle OpenVPN connections in tandem.

What is ether.net? Yes I Googled...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'd appreciate not being quoted out of context please!

Are you sure it was out of context? I don't think it was.
    You lamented that Microsoft have not yet come good on their promise of universal apps for xbox one.
    I concurred, and added that alot of MS users are lamenting MS not yet coming good on alot promises that they have made these past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Are you sure it was out of context? I don't think it was.
    You lamented that Microsoft have not yet come good on their promise of universal apps for xbox one.
    I concurred, and added that alot of MS users are lamenting MS not yet coming good on alot promises that they have made these past few years.

Yeah but editing it to put an exclamation mark in there etc was just a bit creepy. I definitely don't feel as strongly as you do using words like 'lamenting', or that they've broken lots of promises tbh. They have been busy trying to course correct the launch mistakes of the Xbox One, and now that they've mostly done this, I believe it's time for them to get UWP apps onto Xbox.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah but editing it to put an exclamation mark in there etc was just a bit creepy. I definitely don't feel as strongly as you do using words like 'lamenting', or that they've broken lots of promises tbh. They have been busy trying to course correct the launch mistakes of the Xbox One, and now that they've mostly done this, I believe it's time for them to get UWP apps onto Xbox.

Haha, sorry about that, the exclamation mark was the result of sloppy deleting because I'm typing on mobile. You did have an exclamation in there somewhere. I'm certain I didn't add that.

Anyway, hang on a little longer is the message from Microsoft again.

Yeah you've got to wonder what the excuse is for xbox apps. Its not market share. Ms are their own worst enemies. So much chopping and changing and rebooting that developers don't want to touch the platform with a barge pole.

UWP is it, everyone jump on board....Once bitten, twice shy.

Look at the new apple tv, which id a direct competitor to microsofts xbox one controlling your living room strategy. It gets launched with a boat load of apps. There's something about microsoft they just can't do business with software vendors.

wrt40 wrote: »
    What is ether.net? Yes I Googled...

Sorry got the name wrong https://www.softether.org/ they provide a and entry on their domain too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Has anyone hear tried the Lumia Screen sharing HD-10 and what have your experiences been? I have one myself and find it super handy especially when travelling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Has anyone hear tried the Lumia Screen sharing HD-10 and what have your experiences been? I have one myself and find it super handy especially when travelling..

I didn't even know that existed until I saw your post!

(Does a quick Google search...)

I really like the look of it and what it's capable of but bloody hell is it expensive. Did you pay about €85 for yours? That's how much I see it going for on MobileFun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Rsaeire wrote:
    I didn't even know that existed until I saw your post! (does a quick Google search...)

Didn't pay for it got one of them on launch at event. It's pretty cool I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Didn't pay for it got one of them on launch at event. It's pretty cool I must say.

Awesome!! Some people are just more fortunate than us mere mortals :P

The funny thing about the GD-10 is that when I first saw the Display Dock, I thought "I wish this was wireless". If Microsoft could marry the two devices together so that everything was wireless, I would definitely buy one. Wireless Bluetooth and mouse with wireless display technology? That's the future right there! Maybe if/when the Surface phone comes out next year we'll get it :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Awesome!! Some people are just more fortunate than us mere mortals :P

The funny thing about the GD-10 is that when I first saw the Display Dock, I thought "I wish this was wireless". If Microsoft could marry the two devices together so that everything was wireless, I would definitely buy one. Wireless Bluetooth and mouse with wireless display technology? That's the future right there! Maybe if/when the Surface phone comes out next year we'll get it :)

I've often though the ultimate goal is:

Dock similar to the existing display dock, with QI charging added to it, and then a wireless connection to the phone.

Simply place your phone on-top to activate it.

With aforementioned Citrix based client, or a secure Azure Remote Desktop. Most business users have everything they need.

Heck if they add Xbox One wireless controller support to it and activate the Xbox Streaming on Continuum then I'll even have console class gaming.

I've often though the ultimate goal is:

Dock similar to the existing display dock, with QI charging added to it, and then a wireless connection to the phone.

Simply place your phone on-top to activate it.

With aforementioned Citrix based client, or a secure Azure Remote Desktop. Most business users have everything they need.

Heck if they add Xbox One wireless controller support to it and activate the Xbox Streaming on Continuum then I'll even have console class gaming.

From a business perspective, your main worry is sensitive data or intellectual property. If they were able to implement mobile data management into Azure they'd be flying. Wipe business data in the event of someone going AWOL or device lost/stolen. It's a big cost to currently implement this, if it was bundled in with Azure and enterprise management, even for an increased fee, it would still be hard to say no.

I'm all for scalesble virtualised enviroments with phones doubling as remote thin clients. You can even do graphic intensive work on servers these days with NVIDIAs Kepler GPU for blades range.

I think Continuum could be massive, from a business consumer perspective at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

So any decent reports?
    Thinking of Switching from Android to windows phone..
    Might change from my Note EDGE

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

It's a long story, but I'm a Three customer, and want to stay with Three.

Vodafone are the only operator selling the 950 XL though.

Rather than buying an unlocked phone from Microsoft online directly, can I walk into a Vodafone shop, ask them for a phone and then to immediately unlock it for me?

(Or, are there any disadvantages to doing that rather than just buying it direct from MS?)

Player 2 wrote: »
    It's a long story, but I'm a Three customer, and want to stay with Three.

Vodafone are the only operator selling the 950 XL though.

Rather than buying an unlocked phone from Microsoft online directly, can I walk into a Vodafone shop, ask them for a phone and then to immediately unlock it for me?

(Or, are there any disadvantages to doing that rather than just buying it direct from MS?)
    If they're selling it PAYG then you could buy it and wait for the unlock code to come out. But if you were to do that you'd be as well to just buy it from MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

€699 direct from Microsoft though, vs. €630 from Vodafone (plus, no waiting for delivery).

Assuming I can actually unlock it; I'm not sure what extra I'd get by buying it online from MS?

• Advertisement

Player 2 wrote: »

Assuming I can actually unlock it; I'm not sure what extra I'd get by buying it online from MS?

Well, you're not sure you can unlock it, and if you can, how much would it cost?

One benefit is that OTA updates can't be withheld by carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Unlocking PAYG phones *generally* involves spending at least €100 in pre-pay credit before you can do so. Lumia phones have been relatively easy to unlock via sending your IMEI over a website (I did that with my old Lumia 1020) for usually about €20-50, but I don't know if you can unlock by that method with these phones just yet (sometimes it takes a while before codes become available). So you'd be waiting to buy yours from Vodafone, which means you might miss out on the free Display Dock offer (which ends when stocks are gone, or 31st January, whichever comes first), which is worth about €100.

Your choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

Picked up a 950 XL today from Vodafone in Dundrum. The shop on Adverts that I used to get an unlock for my 930 have replied that they can provide the unlock no problem for €17.99.

Spent yesterday trying to buy the XL in town and Dundrum was the only store that had stock in Dublin. The Grafton St Vodafone store had two on order and were hoping to have them in on Saturday. Meteor in the Ilack Centre had a 950 for €469 and Vodafone Henry St had the 950 for € 549.

I have not had a chance to play with it yet and will post initial impressions after the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Was in Vodafone in Swords today and they knew nothing about the XL. Told me that it will be available sometime in the New Year and that no Vodafone stores currently have them. That's obviously untrue going by what's posted above.

Is there any way to find out which Vodafone stores have them in stock? Tried calling a couple, but they don't answer. The irony isn't lost on me.

Tropheus wrote: »
    Was in Vodafone in Swords today and they knew nothing about the XL. Told me that it will be available sometime in the New Year and that no Vodafone stores currently have them. That's obviously untrue going by what's posted above.

Is there any way to find out which Vodafone stores have them in stock? Tried calling a couple, but they don't answer. The irony isn't lost on me.

It took a few days but I got the best information from the lads in the
    Vodafone store on Grafton St. They told that Dundrum had one 950 XL left I rang the number and they agreed to hold it for me until today. Check Grafton St tomorrow as they may have got stock in. They did answer the phone when I called.

I just ordered the free display dock. Was not able to order without a sim card in the phone (maybe this is for the Vodafone model only?). Luckily I had an old Vodafone sim. Hopefully it will arrive for Christmas. Loving the phone so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Eventually ordered one on the Vodafone site. Doubt I'll see it before Christmas.

Also ordered one of these http://ie.mobilefun.com/55624-mozo-microsoft-lumia-950-xl-genuine-leather-flip-cover-cognac.htm

Tropheus wrote: »
    Eventually ordered one on the Vodafone site. Doubt I'll see it before Christmas.

Also ordered one of these http://ie.mobilefun.com/55624-mozo-microsoft-lumia-950-xl-genuine-leather-flip-cover-cognac.htm

That Mozo case looks amazing. Ordered a cheap case for the time being but will get a mozo in the next month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It's lovely but in fairness it would want to be for 60 EUR. :eek:
    pastor wrote: »
    That Mozo case looks amazing. Ordered a cheap case for the time being but will get a mozo in the next month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Griffinx

Just got the 10586.29 update on my 950,nice, dont see a lot of change... probably under the hood..anyone else?

Advertisement