Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 950 / 950XL? [Stock info/Stores/Networks etc]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Griffinx

One benefit is that OTA updates can't be withheld by carriers.

The win phone 10 updates can happen without carrier testing..just got mine on locked Meteor 950 and I'm not on insider ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It's a cumulative update (bug fixes and performance improvements only). On the Windows insider fast track, they have just released the 10586.36 cumulative update for people to test before it gets released to the general population - it contains only fixes based on feedback from other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

Vodafone bottom of Grafton St just rang they have a 950 XL in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Griffinx wrote: »
    Just got the 10586.29 update on my 950,nice, dont see a lot of change... probably under the hood..anyone else?

I received the update on my Meteor 950. Unsure whether the operator matters as there's not one bit of branding on the device nor on the packaging but I received the update nonetheless.

By the way, is anyone else noticing that the phone freezes when taking a lot of pictures back to back and then it auto restarts? Mine has done it several times now and once even after today's update. Also, images are being saved to the internal storage and not to a microSD card so it's a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

AFAIK updates on W10 are no longer at the control of the operator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

jimmynokia wrote: »
    AFAIK updates on W10 are no longer at the control of the operator

They removed the mobile phone stack from the OS upgrades, so the part that the operators cares about rarely changes. This is why MS can bypass the carriers.

Just received my unlock code for my 950 XL (Vodafone) which I purchased for 17.99 on Adverts. Received 2 codes and second one worked. I saved around €50 purchasing from Vodafone. Unfortunately the free display dock is on pre order at Microsoft. Really enjoying the new phone. So much easier to handle than my 1520.

pastor wrote: »
    Just received my unlock code for my 950 XL (Vodafone) which I purchased for 17.99 on Adverts. Received 2 codes and second one worked. I saved around €50 purchasing from Vodafone. Unfortunately the free display dock is on pre order at Microsoft. Really enjoying the new phone. So much easier to handle than my 1520.

Can you say which seller on Adverts you bought this from please.

Can you say which seller on Adverts you bought this from please.

http://touch.adverts.ie/nokia/nokia-lumia-unlock-code-s-all-irish-networks/8614810#page-top

Has anyone received the new firmware update yet? Still nothing for me on unlocked 950 xl from Vodafone.

• Advertisement

pastor wrote: »
    Has anyone received the new firmware update yet? Still nothing for me on unlocked 950 xl from Vodafone.

Still waiting, last update was 5-6 days after release

Still waiting, last update was 5-6 days after release

Just noticed an article online in relation to the new firmware update that mentioned that you can get the updated firmware via the Windows Device Recovery Tool. Just checked and it does indeed offer the update. Just updating now. Might save you having to wait for the OTA update. I have just installed the update and I am currently restoring my most recent backup Took around15 mins in total. This process will erase you 950/XL and you will need to either reinstall a backup or start from stratch again.

http://www.technmauri.com/windows-device-recovery-tool-updated-for-lumia-550-950-and-376169

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Looks like another new firmware update is being rolled out for the 950 and 950 XL (01078.00027.15506.020xx) that addresses the following:
    • Stability and performance improvements
    • Improvements for SD memory card support
    • Improvements for automatic display brightness settings
    • Fix for a camera problem that was causing noisy images in low-light conditions for some users
    • Fix for a 4K video problem that was causing stripes to show up while playing back recorded videos for some users

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Looks like another new firmware update is being rolled out for the 950 and 950 XL (01078.00027.15506.020xx) that addresses the following:
    • Stability and performance improvements
    • Improvements for SD memory card support
    • Improvements for automatic display brightness settings
    • Fix for a camera problem that was causing noisy images in low-light conditions for some users
    • Fix for a 4K video problem that was causing stripes to show up while playing back recorded videos for some users

Anyone getting this yet? My 950 not picking it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

My understanding is that it's a phased roll out so not all devices will get the update at once, it might take a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Yes, my 950XL picked this up early AM today.

Has Anyone with a 950 got Shazam working? Mine just listens and listens and never gives a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Has Anyone with a 950 got Shazam working? Mine just listens and listens and never gives a response.

It will pick it up within 2 or 3 seconds after the first attempt

Davy wrote: »
    It will pick it up within 2 or 3 seconds after the first attempt

Wonder if there's something wrong with my 950

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Wonder if there's something wrong with my 950

Have you waited till you get 'Sorry I didnt catch that' ?

After this attempt it will pick anything up straight away

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Have you waited till you get 'Sorry I didnt catch that' ?

Never gets that far and back button doesn't work so I think the app has crashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Delete the app and install or try soundhound

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Delete the app and install or try soundhound

Known problem with shazam and the 950 , Soundhound ok but not as good recognizing as Shazam.

Anyway Ive Changed my regional settings to UK (sticks in my craw) and now use Cortana for music identification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Lumia 950 is €469 on Amazon Italy also if anyone wants to go down that route. Cheapest of all their European sites on my last check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

shamtastic wrote: »
    Lumia 950 is €469 on Amazon Italy also if anyone wants to go down that route. Cheapest of all their European sites on my last check.

With delivery to Ireland. That's nice...

Postage to Ireland listed as EUR 7,50 + 1,30 per kg

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Postage to Ireland listed as EUR 7,50 + 1,30 per kg

That's true, think it's a bit reduced via Parcel Motel in Belfast though. Still cheaper than the UK site all the same, at least it's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭darren2368

I just came across that too, great deal! What way does that work with the charger though, wouldn't it be an Italian plug? In which case I'd have go buy an Irish charger or use a converter?

• Advertisement

darren2368 wrote: »
    I just came across that too, great deal! What way does that work with the charger though, wouldn't it be an Italian plug? In which case I'd have go buy an Irish charger or use a converter?
    A travel converter would needed because it will come with a standard European 2-pin plug. The phone should also come with a USB cable that you should be able to use from a computer, or elsewhere.

Advertisement