Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 950 / 950XL? [Stock info/Stores/Networks etc]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Halflifept wrote: »
    I tried to reboot, reset, manually search network, take out the sim card, and the network service never comes back. Only comes back with a complete software reset.

What version of Windows 10 are you running (Insider, etc)... and have you reported the issue in the feedback app?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

I'm on production .420 lastest stable.

This happens everyday when I go to the shopping center losing the network coverage and a reset usually solves the issue. Yes I did reported in the feedback app.

Tried a SIM card from another provider and worked. Seems to be some issue between the three sim card and the W10M.
    At the moment the three SIM card is in an android phone and is working flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote: »
    Microsoft US Store - free 950 with every purchase of a 950XL until 1/5/2016 - US and Canada stores only, both phones are unlocked
    looks like the student discount works too (if you're eligible) - so both phones for about $584 (+ tax I assume). They will accept Irish cc and delivery to US address.

this offer is back on until June 27th - only in the USA and Canada, I was just onto European support and this offer will not be available in Europe - I'm tempted to cancel my order for a 950 from the irish store and go for this...I'd just have to wait about 6 weeks till a relative brings it over..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is it worth a punt on a 950 now that I can get one free on Meteor?
    I need a change.Iphone never did it for me.And I feel like a change from Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It will certainly be a change.

Depends what you need it to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I need a change.Iphone never did it for me.And I feel like a change from Android.

Try the phone out first in a store if you can. Think about what apps and services you want (maps, email, music, etc) and make sure it's all there first :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

beauf wrote: »
    It will certainly be a change.

Depends what you need it to do.

I dont do facebook,etc.Calls,internet,music player etc. is really all I use my phone for.

Are the apps that bad???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I just moved up to a 950 from an older 920 (before that an iPhone).

The 950 is a nice phone, it's light, quick and has two great cameras.
    • Apps: With Windows 10 it's getting some more apps than before, but that hasn't really bothered me in the past (got used to the situation with the 920). The majority of big apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) are all there.
    • Calls are crystal clear (I'm on 3)
    • Texts do their thing. With the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on PC and Phone in the summer there are some nice text messaging where you can use your PC to make and answer texts (this should also integrate with Android phones with Cortana installed)
    • Groove Music is really good at the moment (the Your Groove playlists coming in the Windows 10 Anniversary update are a brilliant feature).
    • For internet Edge is decent, fast and constantly improving.

The main thing that could be said about the 950 is that it gets the job done - it just gets out of the way and does what it's supposed to do, but there are no real frills about it, no thrills and no stunning design.

Continuum is a very nice feature and really handy for things like quickly sharing your screen to sitting in a hotel room working with your e-mail, apps, Word or PowerPoint on the TV (or watching Netflix) in the room.

It was woefully overpriced at launch, but now it's down below £300 on Amazon it's certainly more attractive. I know you're getting it for 'free' on Meteor, but the price of free depends on your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I dont do facebook,etc.Calls,internet,music player etc. is really all I use my phone for.

Are the apps that bad???

The apps are just as good as the others when they're there. Edge is a great mobile browser, the email client is nice, and the music player is great imo (you can use the Microsoft one, or Spotify and a few other streaming apps).

The thing you won't get is some top line apps like Snapchat or Hailo. It has Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, etc. so there are plenty of apps (and that web browser for most other things too like Deliveroo). My wife and I really don't have any major missing apps, aside from Hailo (we use Uber instead), but if you're always switching to the latest and greatest popular apps, its probably not for you.

And as Fingleberries says, if you use Xbox and a Windows 10 PC, you'll get a lot of really fantastic integration between them.

My favourite thing is setting a location based reminder via Cortana at my desk at work (using the keyboard) and then getting the reminder on my phone later. An example would be telling Cortana "remind me to pickup milk next time I'm near Tesco" and then my phone buzzes when just that next happens. Really handy.

• Advertisement

I'll be getting a mozo back cover - is a screen protector needed? Is a case needed - would prefer not to have one if i get the mozo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'll be getting a mozo back cover - is a screen protector needed? Is a case needed - would prefer not to have one if i get the mozo...

I have a Mozo back cover (black leather with silver buttons on the sides) on my 950 and don't have a case.

Also, my 950 has a screen protector, even though reviewers and others state that mobile screens nowadays, thanks to Gorilla Glass, are less scratch-prone than ever before. It gives me peace of mind as if anything did happen to the screen, my first thought would be "should've bought that screen protector".

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I have a Mozo back cover (black leather with silver buttons on the sides) on my 950 and don't have a case.

Also, my 950 has a screen protector, even though reviewers and others state that mobile screens nowadays, thanks to Gorilla Glass, are less scratch-prone than ever before. It gives me peace of mind as if anything did happen to the screen, my first thought would be "should've bought that screen protector".

thanks - which screen protector? I usually only buy the invisible shield ones, but they don't have one for 950...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Rsaeire wrote: »

I have two scratches on my 950 xl :(

Nothing noticeable unless you go looking for them but they're there. No idea how it happened either as sharp or metallic objects go in one pocket and the phone goes in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

thanks - which screen protector? I usually only buy the invisible shield ones, but they don't have one for 950...

I bought one of these. I like it and it works great. I used a ZAGG Invisible Shield previously for my Nokia Lumia 1020 but as it cost around €20+, I decided to save money and I don't regret it.
    I have two scratches on my 950 xl :(

Nothing noticeable unless you go looking for them but they're there. No idea how it happened either as sharp or metallic objects go in one pocket and the phone goes in the other.

Sorry to hear that! At least they're not that visible unless you go looking for it.

got my 950 - setting it up at the moment - it's upgrading to build .420. Anyone got any tips or advice on it?

it's bigger than i expected - thanks to fingleberries i didn't get the XL!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

Maybe do a reset after the update. To make sure that all temporary files or previous configurations files are gone to avoid incompatibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Hi Folks,

Quick query, my wife has her iPhone and iPad paired so when they're on the same wireless network she can have the phone charging down in the bedroom and make calls and texts through her phone. Can this be done with me SP4 and Lumina 950?

Thanks in advance,
    NBD.

Nabidana wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Quick query, my wife has her iPhone and iPad paired so when they're on the same wireless network she can have the phone charging down in the bedroom and make calls and texts through her phone. Can this be done with me SP4 and Lumina 950?

Thanks in advance,
    NBD.

The texting part should be possible as of August 2nd this year, as that's a feature that the Anniversary Update will enable with a related Skype update, but I'm not sure about calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Nabidana wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance,
    NBD.

Texting definitely works but the calls don't. You get a missed call notification and the option to reply.

Honestly though the whole thing is very clunky to use right now and, like a lot of stuff related to windows 10 (phone or otherwise) requires a few more passes before it's up to scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Texting definitely works but the calls don't. You get a missed call notification and the option to reply.

Honestly though the whole thing is very clunky to use right now and, like a lot of stuff related to windows 10 (phone or otherwise) requires a few more passes before it's up to scratch.

I would love to see a solution to this (unless one exists that I haven't heard of), the technology to do this must be there as you say you do get the missed call notification and an option to send a text as a reply, but I can't find how to use that text functionality proactively rather than reactively.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I would love to see a solution to this (unless one exists that I haven't heard of), the technology to do this must be there as you say you do get the missed call notification and an option to send a text as a reply, but I can't find how to use that text functionality proactively rather than reactively.

It was directly built into the Messaging app in Fast Ring preview builds for the last couple of months, but they're apparently removing that functionality for the Anniversary Update again in favour of an improved Skype experience for the exact same thing.

However, I believe Cortana will always let you send a text from your PC - try "Text [Contact Name]" and you'll be able to use it proactively.

I discovered that i can attach my phone directly to a magnetic vent mount without attaching the metal disc to the back cover - but could this damage the phone? There's obviously enough metal in the back cover to allow the magnet to hold the phone, but I suspect that long term use could cause problems...what do ye think?

I discovered that i can attach my phone directly to a magnetic vent mount without attaching the metal disc to the back cover - but could this damage the phone? There's obviously enough metal in the back cover to allow the magnet to hold the phone, but I suspect that long term use could cause problems...what do ye think?

It's fine, the metal is the inductive coil for the wireless charging function. I have a similar dock which is also wireless charging capable, and it's magnetically attached

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's fine, the metal is the inductive coil for the wireless charging function. I have a similar dock which is also wireless charging capable, and it's magnetically attached

right so, thanks.

actually, which dock do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ditto.

will be in need of a new one relatively soon as the grip on my current one is failing. Interested in any recommendations and Qi charging is a big plus for me (love my desktop Qi charger). I know, maybe i'm easily pleased, but its just so simple that its brilliant.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    ditto.

will be in need of a new one relatively soon as the grip on my current one is failing. Interested in any recommendations and Qi charging is a big plus for me (love my desktop Qi charger). I know, maybe i'm easily pleased, but its just so simple that its brilliant.

I wasn't going to bother with a qi charger, but as I am easily pleased, and if a desktop charger is that brilliant, which one do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I wasn't going to bother with a qi charger, but as I am easily pleased, and if a desktop charger is that brilliant, which one do you use?

Just the standard issue one which came with my 930. It's a DT-601 wireless charging plate. It's not perfect, and requires a plug out/back in every few days, but otherwise I love it.

Sit at desk, phone dropped on the plate, light on plate on, forget about it, get up, take phone and fully charged. Ok, all it's saving me is plugging a cable in, but seriously, I have just taken to it and think it's brilliant. It's the little things I guess.

right so, thanks.

I have the first-gen of these - http://www.theairdock.com/shop-by-device/ but unfortunately they don't ship outside of the US (I bought mine when I lived there).

• Advertisement

I'm trying to set up cortana - on build 10586.456; Region, Language, Speech and keyboard is set to US. I've restarted, and done a soft reset but no Cortana in the apps list. What am I missing?

edit: is it the time setting? I did set the time zone to arizona, turned off auto set date and time, but when i did a soft reset, it defaulted back to irish time? I've set it to Arizona now without doing a reset but still no Cortana....

edit 2 - got it - needed to tap the search button to get it started.

Advertisement