Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 950 / 950XL? [Stock info/Stores/Networks etc]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

ablelocks wrote: »
    I'm trying to set up cortana - on build 10586.456; Region, Language, Speech and keyboard is set to US. I've restarted, and done a soft reset but no Cortana in the apps list. What am I missing?

edit: is it the time setting? I did set the time zone to arizona, turned off auto set date and time, but when i did a soft reset, it defaulted back to irish time? I've set it to Arizona now without doing a reset but still no Cortana....

edit 2 - got it - needed to tap the search button to get it started.
    In the Anniversary Update (due 2. August) you will be able to switch your phone back to Ireland and just enable to Cortana language to EN US and it should just work without going through all the hoops like now. At least that's how my 950 is set up at the moment (on the latest Insider build)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Are these worth getting over a 1520 or am I as well to hang on a it longer at this stage? Cracked the screen on my 1520 so trying to decide if i should get it fixed or get the upgrade seeing as I can now

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Are these worth getting over a 1520 or am I as well to hang on a it longer at this stage? Cracked the screen on my 1520 so trying to decide if i should get it fixed or get the upgrade seeing as I can now

I would say so. I upgraded to the 950XL from my 1520 and never looked back. Windows 10 mobile was a mess at first but it is now very stable and I am enjoying using it. I am on the fast ring and it has been very exciting getting all of the builds and testing them.

The differences from the 1520 are that the 950XL has a much better screen it really is gorgeous, the slightly smaller size is easier to handle, Windows 10 mobile is now pretty good and I am using it as my daily driver, the fast charging via the USB C, continuum (which I use regularly), the camera, faster processor, Cortana (with the region independence) and i am sure that I have missed loads of other advantages and features.

The price has come down quite a bit and there are a few for sale on adverts.

pastor wrote: »
    I would say so. I upgraded to the 950XL from my 1520 and never looked back. Windows 10 mobile was a mess at first but it is now very stable and I am enjoying using it. I am on the fast ring and it has been very exciting getting all of the builds and testing them.

The differences from the 1520 are that the 950XL has a much better screen it really is gorgeous, the slightly smaller size is easier to handle, Windows 10 mobile is now pretty good and I am using it as my daily driver, the fast charging via the USB C, continuum (which I use regularly), the camera, faster processor, Cortana (with the region independence) and i am sure that I have missed loads of other advantages and features.

The price has come down quite a bit and there are a few for sale on adverts.
    Was talking to one of my mates that has one and I think I'll go for it.
    Already been using Win 10 and Cortana on it so well used to them by now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

In the Anniversary Update (due 2. August) you will be able to switch your phone back to Ireland and just enable to Cortana language to EN US and it should just work without going through all the hoops like now. At least that's how my 950 is set up at the moment (on the latest Insider build)

yep, that worked.

• Advertisement

lumia 950 price drop to £249 and 950xl to £339 with free display dock on the Microsoft UK store

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭losttheplot

ablelocks wrote: »
    lumia 950 price drop to £249 and 950xl to £339 with free display dock on the Microsoft UK store

Can you buy from Microsoft UK store or any other country Microsoft store and get delivery to Ireland?

Can you buy from Microsoft UK store or any other country Microsoft store and get delivery to Ireland?

I have bought from MS UK but not from other Euro MS stores. no problem with free delivery to ireland from UK, but i did need to use postcode RG6 1WG in billing address - not sure if that is still the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

• Advertisement

TBi wrote: »
    doesn't include free dock though

Nice Irish rip off Ms :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

TBi wrote: »
    doesn't include free dock though

Might be claimable via the Lumia Offers app, but probably not worth the risk as can be ordered from the other stores Germany, italy etc with the free dock for €299 and Should arrive with UPS in 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭losttheplot

Davy wrote: »
    Might be claimable via the Lumia Offers app, but probably not worth the risk as can be ordered from the other stores Germany, italy etc with the free dock for €299 and Should arrive with UPS in 3 days

Took the plunge after a visit to the French store. Order has gone through for Dual Sim 950 and free dock for 299 delivered. 10-12 week wait for the dock.

Davy wrote: »
    That app never works for me when I go into it

just a heads up that the dock is back for free with the 950 (299) and the 950xl (399) on the microsoft ireland store

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Hi,

does anyone know what's the best 950 holder in a car?

Getting a rental without built in sat nav so will be using maps on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

dogbert27 wrote: »

Can't answer your question but just a reminder to download your maps offline if you haven't done so already

(assuming you are traveling abroad in this setup which you describe)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Hi,

does anyone know what's the best 950 holder in a car?

I use something like this pushes into the air vent, so you can move easily from car to car. I picked up in TKMax for 6 or 7 quid, came with 2 disks so one is on the 950 and one on my satnav. Make sure you get the large disk version (mine is 4cm in diameter) no issue keeping the phone in landscape or portrait position.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I use something like this pushes into the air vent, so you can move easily from car to car. I picked up in TKMax for 6 or 7 quid, came with 2 disks so one is on the 950 and one on my satnav. Make sure you get the large disk version (mine is 4cm in diameter) no issue keeping the phone in landscape or portrait position.

I've seen enough broken air vents in cars to know to avoid these like the plague. I just got one that you can stick onto the windshield, it had wireless charging and everything, but I don't use it as the GPS + wireless charging made my 930 too hot to hold afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If you knew you'd have a CD player in the car, there are a few mounts that use the CD slot to attach to. I used one of these for years as the car also had an AUX-port so I never used the CD player anyway!

Alternatively, there's a thing called the Air Dock that I bought when I lived in the US and still use because it's excellent, but they're not for sale in the UK or Ireland unfortunately.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    I've seen enough broken air vents in cars to know to avoid these like the plague. I just got one that you can stick onto the windshield, it had wireless charging and everything, but I don't use it as the GPS + wireless charging made my 930 too hot to hold afterwards.

Yeah that's my one concern with using the phone for maps, it gets way too hot, don't know what damage it will do long term!

kenu airframe+ is what i use for my 950

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Has anyone purchased a replacement / spare battery for the 950?

I had thought about it seeing as how ****e the battery life is on it. My 1520 would still outlast it and that's 2 years old now

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

The quad hd resolution is overkill and takes all the battery.

My 950 barelly gets to end of the day with moderate usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Halflifept wrote: »
    The quad hd resolution is overkill and takes all the battery.

My 950 barelly gets to end of the day with moderate usage.

That's odd as my 950 lasts me all day with moderate usage, e.g. email sync, listening to music, sending/receiving SMS/IM, making/receiving calls for a couple of hours throughout the day. Generally, I have about 25-30% battery left at the end of the day.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    That's odd as my 950 lasts me all day with moderate usage, e.g. email sync, listening to music, sending/receiving SMS/IM, making/receiving calls for a couple of hours throughout the day. Generally, I have about 25-30% battery left at the end of the day.

ditto for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

I have a Nokia Lumia 630. What would the Lumia 950XL offer over that? I presume it's unlocked so I could use on TescoMobile?

It's now €399 on Microsoft Ireland site, including dock. Is price likely to drop for Black Friday?
    https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/en_IE/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-950-XL/productID.326667200

It's better than the 630 in every way.

If you still like Windows.

• Advertisement

Anybody replace the screen on the 950?

Dropped mine and can't access the touch screen anymore. I can hear phone calls and what's app coming through but the screen is dead so can't answer.

I can't enter the pin code either to access the files through a PC so I can't get my photos either!! :(

Advertisement