Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 950 / 950XL? [Stock info/Stores/Networks etc]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Anybody replace the screen on the 950?

Dropped mine and can't access the touch screen anymore. I can hear phone calls and what's app coming through but the screen is dead so can't answer.

I can't enter the pin code either to access the files through a PC so I can't get my photos either!! :(

Could you connect a USB keyboard to enter the pin? This is a Windows 10 feature isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Could you connect a USB keyboard to enter the pin? This is a Windows 10 feature isn't it?

I've downloaded the project my screen app to my laptop but now have the problem that the app only works with USB 2.0.

Have to run to an electronics shop today and get an extension cable. Hopefully that will do the trick.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/fix-project-my-screen-app-not-working-lumia-950-or-windows-10-mobile

Will give update later. If it doesn't work I think I'll try to replace the screen myself ordering the parts on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Lumia 950XL now €349 on Microsoft Ireland
    Microsoft Lumia 950 XL (Black)
    € 349.00 incl. VAT
    (was: €399.00) save: € 50.00
    Act now on this Limited Time Black Friday Offer - Get the discount and the Display Dock†!

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/en_IE/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-950-XL-Black/productID.326667200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

leck wrote: »
    Lumia 950XL now €349 on Microsoft Ireland
    If you're in the states this weekend, the Microsoft Store (online and in-store) are running a promotion: Buy a Lumia 950XL for $499 and get a Lumia 950 and a Display Dock for free
    • 5.7" WQHD display
    • 20MP camera with ZEISS optics
    • 32GB storage/expandable to 200GB via microSD
    • Compatible with GSM carriers6
    • Windows 10
    Free phone and dock

For a limited time, get a free Lumia 950 and Display Dock with purchase ($498 value).
    https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-950-XL--Unlocked/productID.326602300

If you're in the states this weekend, the Microsoft Store (online and in-store) are running a promotion: Buy a Lumia 950XL for $499 and get a Lumia 950 and a Display Dock for free
    That's a nice deal. At today's rate, that would be about €470.

Deal on Microsoft Ireland is Lumia 950XL and dock for €349, so for an extra €121 you would get a Lumia 950 in the US deal.

For those of you who've gotten the dock, how are you using it? I already have a Microsoft Display Adapter which works well to project my Lumia screen to TV. How does the dock compare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That's a nice deal. At today's rate, that would be about €470.

Deal on Microsoft Ireland is Lumia 950XL and dock for €349, so for an extra €121 you would get a Lumia 950 in the US deal.

For those of you who've gotten the dock, how are you using it? I already have a Microsoft Display Adapter which works well to project my Lumia screen to TV. How does the dock compare?

The dock has no quality drop off, no latency while controlling, more stable connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

950 XL is €279 on Amazon.de (sold by Microsoft)

That's so cheap that I had to buy it :p

You'll have to use a UK address as they don't ship to Ireland. So incl. postage and Parcel Motel charge it's working out at about €290

Linky
    Deal on Microsoft Ireland is Lumia 950XL and dock for €349

Only saw that today, and it is out of stock...

unkel wrote: »
    950 XL is €279 on Amazon.de (sold by Microsoft)

That's so cheap that I had to buy it :p

You'll have to use a UK address as they don't ship to Ireland. So incl. postage and Parcel Motel charge it's working out at about €290

Linky

Only saw that today, and it is out of stock...
    That's a good price. I ordered Lumia 950XL from Microsoft Ireland for €349 including dock.

I'm moving from Nokia Lumia 630 to this. This means moving from microSIM to nanoSIM, so going to snap edges off exiting TescoMobile SIM.

I'm bothered that I can't seem to back up settings+apps on old phone to OneDrive, keep getting an error message. Searched online and see this is a common problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Anyone used one of those Mozo replacement backs? Supposedly Good quality and the price is down to about $40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Anyone used one of those Mozo replacement backs? Supposedly Good quality and the price is down to about $40

I have this one. It looks very slick but be warned; the leather starts showing signs of wear after 6 months or so. I don't mind too much as it's leather on a phone so it was bound to wear away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

InTheTrees wrote: »

I have the brown leather one - looks fine, gets a bit darker with age but that's a good thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

i have the black one. In my opinion it really improves the feeling of the phone in the hand.

Alright. Thanks for those opinions. I'll get myself one. It'll be a good rejuvenation of the 950 after a year with it. The cheap plasticky original back was starting to get to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

950 is more or less within reach pricewise

Is the browser anything like rock solid ?

( Never did find a reliable browser to run on Denim )

Also, ( and weirdly ) is there any way a 950 can used as a USB dongle ( for a W7 laptop ) ?

The browser is reliable enough. If you are an heavy multitasker you can expect the reload of the websites when coming back to the browser.

Sometimes I get a blank page instead of the desired website, but this issue is less frequent in the most recent updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

On my 640 I found the browser in Win10 poor. It's vastly better than Win8. But it's still a lot worse than chrome on android.

Perhaps it's better on the 950 because it's faster than my 640. But I found a lot of sites just don't properly. Boards never worked well on my windows phones etc. Others might be ok with it. The way itv constantly reloads pages is so frustrating.

Chrome on android is much faster specially in the rendering.
    Edge still have a long way to go until catch up chrome in terms of speed and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Lads,

Hoping someone here can help me.

My Lumia 950's signal is gone shocking bad. Cant seem to get 3G at all where it used to.

Stuck on Edge signal when my wife (same network-Samsung phone) has a perfect signal.

Driving me nuts.

Cant wait to shift the Lumia on and go back to Android.

Cheers,
    NBD.

ablelocks wrote: »
    I have the brown leather one - looks fine, gets a bit darker with age but that's a good thing...
    Halflifept wrote: »
    i have the black one. In my opinion it really improves the feeling of the phone in the hand.

Arrived today. I bought the black leather back.

Wow. Beautifully made, its like a new phone. It makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Anyone on the latest fast ring 15007, phone is practically unusable, continuously rebooting every 5-10 mins grrrrrrrr

• Advertisement

Have you tried a soft reset to see if fixes?

Yep and a battery pull

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Anyone on the latest fast ring 15007, phone is practically unusable, continuously rebooting every 5-10 mins grrrrrrrr

I'm on it (950XL) and it seems fine, no reboots so far.

Was still happening this morning, after some research switching on the battery saver and resetting the facebook app using the new reset feature seems to have worked. Think it was an overheating issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Just picked up a 950 XL as a replacement phone for the missus (from a 640). MS just keeps ticking over on Windows Mobile for masochistic sorts like ourselves. Most new features will be for business / enterprise users these days.

I know I've bought a two year old phone, The 950 XL is a decent phone, great screen, fast processor and gets the job done - while not being 1520 comically large. It is not worth the price tag Microsoft put on it at launch.

Personally, I'm not bothered about the Snapchat app gap or whatever it's called these days. Interestingly, because the unit came with base Windows 10 Mobile on it and then updated to Anniversary before I stuck on the Creators update I could see in the space of an hour or so how the OS has improved in many subtle ways that are nice. There are no major 'a ha' updates but it feels more polished.

To be honest, it just feels like it is more finished than the beta version that was actually released on the phone originally.

Now the experience is decent enough.
    But at end of 2015/start 2016 it was more a pre-release or alpha software than beta...honestly was the worst out of the box experience that I had with a smartphone.

MS keeps saying that these devices are for focused in business market, but only a masochist would recommend a unreliable device like these for a business man which usually does lots of travel and communication.

I will keep my 950XL to try the latest builds.
    The OS itself is improving now, but the ecosystem is dead.
    Very unhappy with some Nadella decisions...seems a good CEO for short term decisions but in long term will kill MS.

Well the 950 and the 950XL were literally released with pre-release software on them! Windows 10 just wasn't ready for them to ship, and they didn't want to ship them with Windows Phone 8 which at that time was pretty stable, but also fairly out of date. Had Windows 10 mobile been 1-2 months ahead of its schedule at the time, it would have been a very different out of the box experience.

The current situation is great though, as long as you don't care about apps. For me, it's still too difficult to leave Windows 10 mobile for any other OS, particularly Android, but even iOS.

As for Nadella - a lot of general consumers are unhappy with "his" decisions (more accurately the decisions of the Microsoft that he runs), but ultimately he's an extremely smart businessman (way more than Balmer) who knows where the winds are blowing and is steering MS in that direction. He's successfully negotiated the pivot from the company relying on the Windows OS money which was always going to disappear, cloud services like Office 365 and Azure are absolutely raking it in and those are future growth areas with a solid foundation, not some shaky revenue stream like Google's advertising money for example. The problem for us is that those successful shifts are away from the consumer Microsoft stuff that we've all loved like Band, Phone, etc.

The key for consumer products to come out of Microsoft from now on will be that they tap into and cross-play with these big revenue streams. Windows on PC went free because Microsoft know they'll make more money from people tapping into their subscription services and buying into their ecosystem. Surface continues to exist because of this too (as well as its own direct revenue) but it's also about reputation elevation and brand building - the more people go 'wow' at a Microsoft product, the more they'll think about using their services too.

They've put Phone on the backburner because it wasn't driving any of this stuff in great enough volumes to offset the production cost of the hardware. The software development costs must be close to minimal at this point with the shared OS core, so the OS software could continue indefinitely, but really they'll want to turn mobile into another Surface-esque brand-builder too, so they either do that or they eject completely. I'm naively hoping above everything else that they're secretly working on a way to make this a reality as a Surface Phone:

screenshot%20%28223%29.jpg?itok=C90v1ave

I do still believe that the future is trough mobile and MS isn't there...

The mobile market share is now more than the PC market, there is clear a trend, mobile keeps growing up and PC decreasing.
    At some stage MS will have to focus again in mobile in order to regain the lost share in PC market.

I think that the SF Phone will not be a game changer, its coming too late.
    The impact x86 mobile or x86 on arm could be minimal or none because the other mobile platforms were allowed to grow up to the stage that the standard user does not care about x86 apps.

The UWP are the way to go, one app, multiple devices. But bringing those apps from PC to Mobile is not working out at the moment, maybe with windows cloud things could change and force people to use store and at the same time bring the devs onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

UWP hasn't worked.

• Advertisement

Course it hasn't - there's been no reason for developers to have built for it at all up until very recently. There was not enough audience on Phone to use it. Xbox got the ability to run UWP very recently. Windows Cloud will be interesting, if it's Store-only apps and they target it at low-cost devices it could gain a lot of use, which would be another reason to create a UWP app. HoloLens in the mix too. It's only just getting started really.

Advertisement