Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 950 / 950XL? [Stock info/Stores/Networks etc]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its a small detail but coming from a 920 to a 950 I really like the way you can hide the navigation buttons to get more screen size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

CatInABox wrote: »
    That link is about Windows 10 on PC. The mobile build, which everyone here is talking about, was released on the 18th Nov.
    circadian wrote: »
    See above post, that's the PC version of Windows 10.

Yes I use windows but I also manage over 300 RHEL/Debian systems with large scale virtualisation.

Aye, very behind the times.

No need to keep feeding the troll lads, we all know he's a cabbage anyway.

I'm interested in how the 950XL is size wise to the 1520 I have, I'm accustomed top the larger screen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

Tazzimus wrote: »
    No need to keep feeding the troll lads, we all know he's a cabbage anyway.

I'm interested in how the 950XL is size wise to the 1520 I have, I'm accustomed top the larger screen :)

I have a 920 that is 3 years old. I am more than likely going to buy the 950 xl. My 920 has the windows 10 build on it but I find it still buggy. You reckon that is the hardware? Im not so sure.

For example email...replying or forwarding it keeps saying downloading and hangs for a long time.

You can all keep fluffing each others pillows or ignore the fact that the os doesn't appear to be up to speed with android or ios.

Look in the mirror and see who the real cabbages are lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I have a 920 that is 3 years old...You reckon that is the hardware?

I think you answered your own question there. Good luck running the latest version of iOS or Android on three year old hardware. Actually, in most cases, good luck even being allowed to install it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

MJohnston wrote: »
    Whoop, just checked and mine is too :D

Did you purchase that from the irish Microsoft Store?

If so, I assume it's the single SIM version?

• Advertisement

Did you purchase that from the irish Microsoft Store?

If so, I assume it's the single SIM version?

I did yeah, and I suppose so given that they don't mention dual SIMs at all

It's in my hands at the minute. Pics to follow. Initial impressions - really thin, really light, love the construction quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I have a 920 that is 3 years old. I am more than likely going to buy the 950 xl. My 920 has the windows 10 build on it but I find it still buggy. You reckon that is the hardware? Im not so sure.

I went from a 920 to a 950. Havent noticed an issues with email. It runs considerably faster than the 920.

Afaik win10 is only due to be (officially) ready to install on 920's sometime next year? So I would asssume its the hardware.

Photos here:
    http://imgur.com/a/0uuKE

A nice little surprise to start with is that they included two USB-C cables in the box! Great, because I have precisely zero at the minute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What version of windows phone is preloaded? Or did you have to update out of the box?

• Advertisement

What version of windows phone is preloaded? Or did you have to update out of the box?

Version 1511, OS Build 10.0.10586.0

I tried out Continuum with an old Miracast receiver I had lying about and my TV, and it feels like the future, honestly. Presumably I could pair up a bluetooth mouse and keyboard too (ones that don't require dongles anyway) and use those wirelessly. I didn't even do that much, I just pulled up the Weather app and it was the desktop version. It's weird how ****ing cool that is. Over time I hope they improve this feature even more (perhaps with an Intel based phone capable of running x86 apps?). Looking forward to getting the Display Dock to give this a proper try.

Iris recognition also feels like the future, but unfortunately not quite a future that's properly here yet. YMMV as I'm a glasses wearer, but it's a little bit hit and miss - when it does work it's instant and its truly amazing, but when it doesn't...well then you type your PIN in really. So it's not too bad, you just might find yourself contorting a little bit to get it right. I don't think it helps that the Iris camera is offset to the left of the device, so you've got to hold it slightly off-centre to your eyes, which isn't natural. That said, this is a beta feature, and being an MS Band and Xbox One owner, I know how powerful Microsoft can make features with software updates.

Camera is excellent, what can you say here? If you've come from a 930 expect similar superb quality, with vastly faster processing and focusing speed. Also low-light performance is much better too. If you've come from a 'lesser' model of phone - well you're really going to love this camera. I'll have to examine this in more detail, maybe get some comparison snaps. One thing I note off the bat is how much closer the macro focus works. There's an extra few centimetres of actual focus, plus a good 10-20cm of extra autofocus over the 930 (which was a pain in the arse to auto-focus for macro shots).

Also oddly it doesn't have the slow motion video that was enabled for the 930 recently, perhaps requires an app update for that.

Here's a comparison macro shot between the 950XL and 930:

H0xLHCF.jpg

The location of the camera on both phones was a bit different so I couldn't get the exact same angle, but you can see how the 950XL has much closer macro focus (this was both 'as close as it gets' basically), and a much better depth of field. Also note how that weird centre discolouration that always plauged my 930 photos has gone! 950's colours are much more accurate to the scene.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Three €100 more - that's a rip off! I have a pending bill-pay upgrade with Three, so I'm hoping they will offer the 950 at a reasonable upgrade price.

Yeah Ive an upgrade with Meteor that Ive been keeping for the 950.

Reviews arent that inspiring to be honest but I might use the upgrade if the phone is free!!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Yeah Ive an upgrade with Meteor that Ive been keeping for the 950.

Reviews arent that inspiring to be honest but I might use the upgrade if the phone is free!!

The thing about the reviews is they're nearly all focused on people who aren't using WP yet. If you are already using it, these are great upgrades. If you're on Android and iOS, they still might be, it just depends on what you're looking for from a phone. Most of the complaints would be on the software side, from a hardware perspective, the 950 and XL are top class imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Any ideas when its being released on Meteor?

I am raging. I received my XL today and the packaging it came in is torn to shreds and the plastic covering the phone is scratched to sh*t. FFS. Going to inspect it closely before I decide if I'll send it back.

Another poster mentioned this Sat for meteor?

I am raging. I received my XL today and the packaging it came in is torn to shreds and the plastic covering the phone is scratched to sh*t. FFS. Going to inspect it closely before I decide if I'll send it back.

Wow - there was a small hole in the outer white bag that the box for mine came in, but thankfully no other damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

I'd be sending that back to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Ok, took a closer look at the phone and it appears there are no scratches on the screen. I called MS to log a complaint and they were nice enough. They logged the problem and I'm due a call back. the rep told me to go ahead and use the phone anyway and if I find a problem they'll replace it.

So I've been using it a few hours. Coming from an Android it's a very different OS obviously. One thing that's REALLY annoying is the text scaling. For example I've reduced the text size in the settings/display to 100% and still the text size in some apps is huge. WhatsApp is one app, I can only see about 4 or 5 lines of messages.

Didn't realise that Windows Phone doesn't have WPS. So ended up entering a ridiculously long wireless key.

More to follow over the next few days. I'll take a few snaps as well tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

So I've been using it a few hours. Coming from an Android it's a very different OS obviously. One thing that's REALLY annoying is the text scaling. For example I've reduced the text size in the settings/display to 100% and still the text size in some apps is huge. WhatsApp is one app, I can only see about 4 or 5 lines of messages

So that's an app problem. Basically, nearly all the apps in the store are for WP7-8 and they're not aware of the scaling in Windows 10. My bus app looks kinda hilarious on Win10 mobile!

All the newer "Universal" (UWP) apps should scale and change size accordingly, but it'll take months before most apps are updated (if at all).

The keyboard is getting on my nerves. It swipes sometimes but not others. In Edge browser you can't swipe a website address, you gotta old school it and type the address.

I cannot tell what app I'm in sometimes. If I get a message and open it, I've no idea if it's a text, skype message or WhatsApp. They look the same to me.

There are some strange problems with notifications. Missed calls etc, aren't showing on the lock screen but emails are showing.

(Above are more WP10 issues rather than the phone itself)

The phone itself I think is gorgeous, it feels really nice in the hand, even with the plastic back.

Having issues with the Band 2 disconnecting. It worked flawlessly with my S5, so going to try reset it.

The keyboard is getting on my nerves. It swipes sometimes but not others. In Edge browser you can't swipe a website address, you gotta old school it and type the address.

I cannot tell what app I'm in sometimes. If I get a message and open it, I've no idea if it's a text, skype message or WhatsApp. They look the same to me.

There are some strange problems with notifications. Missed calls etc, aren't showing on the lock screen but emails are showing.

(Above are more WP10 issues rather than the phone itself)

The phone itself I think is gorgeous, it feels really nice in the hand, even with the plastic back.

Having issues with the Band 2 disconnecting. It worked flawlessly with my S5, so going to try reset it.

It's weird actually, in some ways W10 on my 950XL actually feels a wee bit more buggy than the same build on my 930! Im hoping they'll have another insider build coming in the next month for a few things. First and foremost is the swipe keyboard bug in Edge where it wont add a new word unless you manually type a space first. Bizarre too because it works perfectly everywhere else in the OS.

It's weird actually, in some ways W10 on my 950XL actually feels a wee bit more buggy than the same build on my 930! Im hoping they'll have another insider build coming in the next month for a few things. First and foremost is the swipe keyboard bug in Edge where it wont add a new word unless you manually type a space first
    . Bizarre too because it works perfectly everywhere else in the OS.

So was I wrong? I have alot of the same problems on the w10 build on my 920. Hardware or software...you decide?

I still want to get the 950xl but waiting for more reports on stability.

Band 2 disconnecting doesn't sound good

So was I wrong? I have alot of the same problems on the w10 build on my 920. Hardware or software...you decide?

You were describing much more serious problems than anyone here, so I suspect it's still your hardware having issues, if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I haven't had any issues with the band disconnecting, it doesn't work with whatspp notifications but everything else working as it should be.

You cant compare 920 in fairness, a 930 runs W10 very well and better than the 950

Davy wrote: »
    I haven't had any issues with the band disconnecting, it doesn't work with whatspp notifications but everything else working as it should be.

You cant compare 920 in fairness, a 930 runs W10 very well and better than the 950

Just look at the other windows 10 thread and people talking about the buggy software. I have the same problems. End of. I hate the way people just try to deny it. If people are complaining about the buggy software then lets have it out. I want to know the truth before buying the phone.

We aren't here to tell eachother its all hunky dory.

I'm not the only one who has blank white pages when using Edge browser or things taking a long time to load. check the other thread and have a constructive discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Griffinx

Meteor have the 950 up on their Bill pay section..no sign of it Prepay. I thought they were supposed to be selling it for €469???

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/microsoft-lumia-950

Advertisement