Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 950 / 950XL? [Stock info/Stores/Networks etc]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just look at the other windows 10 thread and people talking about the buggy software. I have the same problems. End of. I hate the way people just try to deny it. If people are complaining about the buggy software then lets have it out. I want to know the truth before buying the phone.

We aren't here to tell eachother its all hunky dory.

I'm not the only one who has blank white pages when using Edge browser or things taking a long time to load. check the other thread and have a constructive discussion

Nobody here is telling people it's all hunky dory, in fact I believe I've been very honest with the flaws of the software. Comments like "not up to speed with iOS/Android" seem just designed to wind people up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Charged the phone up last night at 5pm (100%), got home at midnight to 'critically low'. Similar this morning, fully charged at 8am, 11am now and it's at 73%. I really don't have much on it yet, so I am fairly disappointed with the battery life.

Do not have the patience to keep going with this phone/WP10 at the moment and unfortunately I've started the return process.

I had high hopes for this phone and perhaps if I had more patience I'd stick it out a bit longer.

The phone is gorgeous, the camera photos are just incredible but WP10 is just no where near ready IMHO.

Thanks for the input. Back to Android for now.

Shame you couldn't wait for the next build, but good luck coping with Android!

It is a pity but I may come back to WP in a few months when the OS has matured somewhat.
    MJohnston wrote: »
    Shame you couldn't wait for the next build, but good luck coping with Android!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

It is a pity but I may come back to WP in a few months when the OS has matured somewhat.

I agree with Danica Skinny Specialization. Might have to go back to an iPhone which I hate to have to do. Tempted to try OnePlus x though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

Anyone got word of when the other carriers will have this? Meteors data limits are useless.

Three are doing the usual "keep checking the website" fob-off. Hopefully soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I gather that stock was expected to arrive in Three today. Not sure how long for it to hit their website/stores. No XL. Corporate pricing not available but imminent.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I gather that stock was expected to arrive in Three today. Not sure how long for it to hit their website/stores. No XL. Corporate pricing not available but imminent.

Sweet, as mentioned got myself a 950XL off Microsoft, but I'm going to use my pending upgrade to get OH a 950, as she is really fed up of Android, and is enjoying my old 930 at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

The phone is gorgeous, the camera photos are just incredible but WP10 is just no where near ready IMHO.

Thanks for the input. Back to Android for now.

You're right, it's not ready. You're running a beta version. It hasn't officially been released so I don't know why they put it on the new phones. It's not uncommon for phones to be released just prior to a new OS, You usually get a "Free upgrade to xxx" on the box. But putting a beta version on their new flagship phones is just plain stupid.

• Advertisement

Agree wrt40 but it's supposed to be close to completion and I don't believe it is.

The display dock arrived and the box is bigger than box for the XL! Btw, the dock is free with the phone from the MS Irish store. You get a voucher code and enter it as the promo code on the website. It was delivered in about 3 days although it said something like 9-12 weeks for delivery.

When I sent the phone back, they requested the dock back as well. The two orders are linked just an fyi.

I got my Display Dock today, and tried it out - https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153836873187941

Agree wrt40 but it's supposed to be close to completion and I don't believe it is.

The display dock arrived and the box is bigger than box for the XL! Btw, the dock is free with the phone from the MS Irish store. You get a voucher code and enter it as the promo code on the website. It was delivered in about 3 days although it said something like 9-12 weeks for delivery.

When I sent the phone back, they requested the dock back as well. The two orders are linked just an fyi.

Don't suppose you got to try out continuum via wifi? Just curious as to wether it works. I got the Surface Pro 4 and my plan was to use the TV as a monitor when I'm sitting down doing proper keyboard and mouse work. Fecking thing doesn't project to my Samsung TV. Samsung says the feature is broken in Windows 10 and I tend to agree with them as it works on another windows 8 device.

I've no doubt they will fix it, but this shipping things not ready malarkey is a right pain. They really know how to piss their customers off. The thing is people who buy these devices and return them because they don't work properly, they will forever have that image in their heads even long after Microsoft have ironed out all the issues and have a solid performing OS. There are already many, many people out there already for whom Windows 10 is crap and it will always remain crap in their eyes.

wrt40 - I tried Continuum via Miracast/Wireless Display and it worked perfectly. I was also able to cast from a Surface Pro 3 to a Wireless Display receiver too though. I have the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, and the Xbox One Wireless Display app.

wrt40 - I tried Continuum via Miracast/Wireless Display and it worked perfectly. I was also able to cast from a Surface Pro 3 to a Wireless Display receiver too though. I have the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, and the Xbox One Wireless Display app.

Yeah I'm sure it works with their own adapter and apps :) It's supposed to be a standard so it should work with everything.

That works both ways though - if it works with other adapters and apps, why isn't it working with Samsung's? Could be Samsung's issue too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Another stupid question.anyone know if a sony smart watch 2 will work on the 950???

Id be lost without it.

Awwwwhh :(

It looks fantastic. The idea of the technologies working together is super but they just need more time. I just hope that a large group of users don't get turned off it as I was and MS continue to fine tune it all.

Thanks for sharing the video btw.
    I got my Display Dock today, and tried it out - https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153836873187941

Awwwwhh :(

It looks fantastic. The idea of the technologies working together is super but they just need more time. I just hope that a large group of users don't get turned off it as I was and MS continue to fine tune it all.

Thanks for sharing the video btw.

Yeah, it's a bit early days with Continuum now, but I reckon it'll be something great in a years time. I think, or hope, Microsoft understand that Continuum could be their one life-raft in the mobile world, because nobody else is doing anything like it yet.

That works both ways though - if it works with other adapters and apps, why isn't it working with Samsung's? Could be Samsung's issue too!
    True. But it highlights a common problem with Microsoft being incapable of working with other companies to get their connected devices, apps etc working on Windows devices.

• Advertisement

wrt40 wrote: »
    True. But it highlights a common problem with Microsoft being incapable of working with other companies to get their connected devices, apps etc working on Windows devices.

That seems a bit unfair given how cross-platform they've been in the last year, in fact I would say they work more than any other hardware manufacturer on ensuring cross-connectivity. Apple don't give a **** at all unless you own other Apple products, for example. Samsung aren't much better.

Another question for those who have one of these, does continuum work via USB? There is a windows program called "project my screen" that lets you cast your phones screen to a PC via USB. Don't see why this shouldn't be possible to do with continuum and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected to the phone.

wrt40 wrote: »
    Another question for those who have one of these, does continuum work via USB? There is a windows program called "project my screen" that lets you cast your phones screen to a PC via USB. Don't see why this shouldn't be possible to do with continuum and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected to the phone.

I posted a video above of it working via USB!

Continuum works either via Wireless Display/Miracast, or wired via the USB type C connector.

The latter you can do with MS' official Display Dock, or you can just buy a USB-C to HDMI cable.

If you use the Display Dock you can also use its 3 USB ports to connect keyboards, mice, or other peripherals (presumably printers work too, I haven't tried, but they work wirelessly so I can't see why not).

If you don't use the Display Dock you can still connect a keyboard and mouse, but they would need to be bluetooth devices capable of connecting without the need for a dongle. I don't know any specific keyboards that can do this (I'm sure there are plenty) but I do know that the Arc Touch mouse definitely does it.

I posted a video above of it working via USB!

Continuum works either via Wireless Display/Miracast, or wired via the USB type C connector.

The latter you can do with MS' official Display Dock, or you can just buy a USB-C to HDMI cable.

If you use the Display Dock you can also use its 3 USB ports to connect keyboards, mice, or other peripherals (presumably printers work too, I haven't tried, but they work wirelessly so I can't see why not).

If you don't use the Display Dock you can still connect a keyboard and mouse, but they would need to be bluetooth devices capable of connecting without the need for a dongle. I don't know any specific keyboards that can do this (I'm sure there are plenty) but I do know that the Arc Touch mouse definitely does it.
    Oh yeah I saw that, what I mean is plugging directly into the PC. Windows 8 can do it but it just mirrors your phones display. All that is needed is the continuum part to enlarge apps to full screen and keyboard and mouse connectivity via Bluetooth (which is supposed to be there with GDR2 firmware I think it was called, but maybe not out yet or blocked by carriers).

Reason I ask is that it would be handy for the likes of connecting to a work PC for doing personal stuff.

Oh right. Hmm, don't believe that works at the minute anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Perhaps a weird one, but if you plug in a USB hub (e.g. Using OTG) will it charge the device while also letting the phone use the peripherals?

Yep! Edit: oh wait, you don't mean the Display Dock. I'm not sure about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Vodafone now listing both 950 and 950XL in black on bill-pay and payg on their online store!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Vodafone now listing both 950 and 950XL in black on bill-pay and payg on their online store!

Finally, been holding onto my upgrade waiting for them to stock it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Neffa2 wrote: »

Nothing about the dock though.

Advertisement