Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips on ucd access to arts and human sciences

Options
  • 24-07-2015 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have any useful information i would need to no before starting this course? Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Sn@kebite

My understanding is the UCD access program is part time so you won't get BTEA on a part-time course. So hopefully you will be able to support yourself for the course (i think it's one year long access course.)

Apart from that I don't know. I only applied for the full time ones (DIT, TCD, Maynooth Uni).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I'm not sure if the process for applying to access to arts is the same as access to science and engineering (which is what I did), but if it is, just be ready for the interview. Thomond and her team are lovely and very helpful but, depending on demand, you might get a grilling in the interview... Just be sure of what you want to do, and why you want to do it. Basically, sound like you have a plan of which the access course is just the first step. They need to know that you're committed and not doing this on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cocopops2015

Can anyone tell me from experience, if i am on jobseekers allowance and start studying an access course at ucd for 2 mornings a week will i be cut 2 days money?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tcoogan

Hi there, did you get sorted out on this, I see you asked some time ago? You shouldn't be cut though, increasingly the officers in Intreo are delighted when people take on an Access course where there is guaranteed progression to third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

you have to go into your local sw office and fill out the part-time learning form. they shouldn't have a problem with you doing the course as it is only 2 mornings per week so you are still avail for work. they don't dock you any money either. i did it last year and (due to unforseen circumstances that meant i only completed 1 semester) and doing it this year :)

• Advertisement

I haven't heard any word yet on start dates etc? Do you no anything about it?
    hdowney wrote: »
    you have to go into your local sw office and fill out the part-time learning form. they shouldn't have a problem with you doing the course as it is only 2 mornings per week so you are still avail for work. they don't dock you any money either. i did it last year and (due to unforseen circumstances that meant i only completed 1 semester) and doing it this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tcoogan

Hi there, start dates and timetables are in your course booklet. But all Access to Arts & Human Sciences courses will begin the week beginning Monday, 21st September. The information session for in-coming students will be on Thursday, 10th September at 6.30pm, and all students will receive a reminder email about this, with instructions on locating the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

this is a great course, very good tutors and a good study methods tutor. this will be of huge benefit when you start your degree course. i did it in 2011-12 and just graduating from maynooth next wednesday with an upper 2:1 in history and geography startin the hdip now. without the access course i very much doubt i would have even got near the front door of maynooth let alone thrive there! good luck id say u will be a huge success!

Thanks a million!

Looking forward to starting it.... What way does it work with courses after the access course if I do the access course in UCD can I chose. Course in my college or just UCD?

I'm interested in doing secondary teaching after the access course and was wondering why would be the best route to take.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    this is a course, very good tutors and a good study methods tutor. this will be of huge benefit when you start your degree course. i did it in 2011-12 and just graduating from maynooth next wednesday with an upper 2:1 in history and geography startin the hdip now. without the access course i very much doubt i would have even got near the front door of maynooth let alone thrive there! good luck id say u will be a huge success!

the Access course gives u straight admittance to UCDs Arts BA if you get an average of over 60%, which is acheivable espically if your doing subjects you are passionate about. the coursework is very much up to first year college level so if you are able for it you will definitly be able for the degree. you make your choices through the CAO as any student so put your preferred college at no.1 for me this was maynooth just because i lived near it and knew a few there. personally i think i scraped a 60% and got offered a place in UCD, but i also got a call up for an interview in maynooth before i had the results of the Access exams, i had the xmas results and the fact that i was after doing it most definitly helped. i did well in the interview as well basically because i really had a huge love for geography and history and every answer i gave was easy to answer when asked about the academic subjects. so a few weeks after i got my place in maynooth and never looked back. i loved the two subjects i did for the BA and thats why i really want to teach them. if you have genuine passion for what your doing then it is easy enough. i hope im not being blase about it, it takes work and discipline but id say im preaching to the converted! are u travelling far to the course? i came from south west Meath about 2 hrs travelling by bus, they look on the south county Dubs when i used to tell them!

• Advertisement

this is a great course, very good tutors and a good study methods tutor. this will be of huge benefit when you start your degree course. i did it in 2011-12 and just graduating from maynooth next wednesday with an upper 2:1 in history and geography startin the hdip now. without the access course i very much doubt i would have even got near the front door of maynooth let alone thrive there! good luck id say u will be a huge success!

Can I ask who you had for Study Skills?

if be travelling about an hour from home I'm from Wexford ... The subjects I chose to study are English and history.

I have an information evening on the 10th sept what does this involve?

Hey I'll see you on the 10th. It's really straightforward and easy. You'll meet Thomond and some of the tutors if they are free. Get a breadown on the whole Access programme and pathways forward, find out what classrooms you are in and for what days etc. It's very informal and friendly. Just bring a pen and a notepad to make some notes. And a smile :)

Dr. Nicky O'leary nice woman, great to give study advice and all sorts of help in going to college.

Are you doing the chess to arts and human science this year? ☺️

Do we get student cards or a ucd email etc?
    hdowney wrote: »
    Can I ask who you had for Study Skills?

Hey I'll see you on the 10th. It's really straightforward and easy. You'll meet Thomond and some of the tutors if they are free. Get a breadown on the whole Access programme and pathways forward, find out what classrooms you are in and for what days etc. It's very informal and friendly. Just bring a pen and a notepad to make some notes. And a smile :)

Dr. Nicky O'leary nice woman, great to give study advice and all sorts of help in going to college.

Nicky is a lovely woman and very helpful and full of advice

Are you doing the chess to arts and human science this year? ☺️

Do we get student cards or a ucd email etc?

I am. You do. I replied to your pm there with info :)

Hello could anyone tell me when do you register for this course? Receive student cards pay fees etc

Where do you get your student number if you are an access student ?

Ok so I'm very confused as to when I register for the access course in ucd??

I no that there is an information evening next week are we told then ?

Did you go to the info evening last night? Thomond said the tech bods don't have the Access programme up on the system yet so nobody has been able to register/pay fees/upload UCard pic etc. They are hoping to have the system up and running for us to register next week. See since we are last back this year they have been dealing with the students who started last week etc and put us on the back burner.

Advertisement