Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The dreaded dentist

• 24-07-2015 9:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

How are your experiences? As a teen I got braces from the dental hospital. €800 or I'd still be a can oper.

Fast forward a few years later. 'I'll just give you the filling'. No! 'Your teeth are ok but you need this..... 'No'.

But if you flipped through my dental history.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

What

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

py2006 wrote: »
    What

How are your experiences in the dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Is it safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If he wants to put stuff in my mouth he's the one paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the old health board dentists butchers turned me against the whole profession

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

no fillings here, an extraction of two alright. I dont mind the dentist at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I went for a dental trip recently, I quickly exited when I was asked to open wide and pull down my pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Thought the OP might be a reader of Paul Williams's books there for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

When he makes conversation with you but because your mouth is clamped open and full of spit the only response you can muster is an odd sort of a gurgle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Is it safe?

Is it secret?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

the old health board dentists butchers turned me against the whole profession

I think there's a whole generation in this country that feel like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I hate dentists (and doctors) and always have.

My GF is a dentist and gives me free dental care. Still doesn't make any difference to me when she has me in the chair and is looking around my mouth, my fear of dentists kicks in and it becomes a horrible experience.

In my Leaving Cert year I went to the dentist to get some fillings put in. One on both sides of my bottom set of teeth. Only thing was that said dentist didn't clean the teeth properly before they put the filling in and the decay continued under the tooth. To the point that both teeth shattered and the fillings came out.

To make things worse, the rot reached the nerves and I was starting to feel extremely bad pain below my eyes!

So I go back to another dentist who says that we can either go for a root canal, which will be expensive and unbelievably painful.. Or pull the teeth completely using a laser.

Guess which one I went for.

F*cking dentists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

My GF is a dentist and gives me free dental care. Still doesn't make any difference to me when she has me in the chair and is looking around my mouth, my fear of dentists kicks in and it becomes a horrible experience.

How much does she charge,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In my Leaving Cert year I went to the dentist to get some fillings put in. One on both sides of my bottom set of teeth. Only thing was that said dentist didn't clean the teeth properly before they put the filling in and the decay continued under the tooth. To the point that both teeth shattered and the fillings came out.

To make things worse, the rot reached the nerves and I was starting to feel extremely bad pain below my eyes!

So I go back to another dentist who says that we can either go for a root canal, which will be expensive and unbelievably painful.. Or pull the teeth completely using a laser.

Guess which one I went for.

F*cking dentists.

Root canals are unbelievably painful? No reason why they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Lost a lot of teeth in a motorcycle accident a couple of decades ago, even when wearing a helmet a facial impact has dire consequences :eek:

A decade later I travelled to the then Czechoslovakia for dental implants, sorely dissapointed I couldn't get a set like Jaws in the old James Bond movies :mad:

A few years on & every hip-hop star had 'grills', I was so pissed off :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How are your experiences in the dentist.

I've never been in a dentist. A dentist's, yes, but I'm afraid I have zero experience of being in a dentist to relate.

Sorry. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Developed a dry socket after getting a tooth extracted, anyone who had it will know what I'm talking about.

Never want to experience that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Lost a lot of teeth in a motorcycle accident a couple of decades ago, even when wearing a helmet a facial impact has dire consequences :eek:

A decade later I travelled to the then Czechoslovakia for dental implants, sorely dissapointed I couldn't get a set like Jaws in the old James Bond movies :mad:

A few years on & every hip-hop star had 'grills', I was so pissed off :pac::pac::pac:

Did you by any chance play in a band and gig at Molly Malone's in Prague in about 93, 94? I think I met you there, I worked at Molly's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think they're great, at least better than having British teeth or a bad case of death.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think they're great, at least better than having British teeth or a bad case of death.

i had a case of death once. but i got better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I can thank having an older brother, for helping me develop a fear of dentists from an early age.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

I got slapped by the school dentist when I was 6, gave me an irrational fear of them, roll on a good few years fockin hate them. I have to have a valium injection just to get my teeth cleaned now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

ScumLord wrote: »

I was just thinking of that one-way mission to Mars and was wondering how many dentists were going. Because DIY dentistry doesn't sound like a lot of fun:

Root canals are unbelievably painful? No reason why they should be.

This would have been back in 2003. Maybe it's different now? I didn't get far enough to find out.

This would have been back in 2003. Maybe it's different now? I didn't get far enough to find out.

Thats when i had my one. No worse than any filling i've had. local anaesthetics are wonderful things :)

MadsL wrote: »
    Did you by any chance play in a band and gig at Molly Malone's in Prague in about 93, 94? I think I met you there, I worked at Molly's.
    Didn't play in the band but did hang out at Molly's & party with them :cool: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Didn't play in the band but did hang out at Molly's & party with them :cool: :D

Thought so...small world. How's the teeth?

MadsL wrote: »
    Thought so...small world. How's the teeth?
    Pearly white MadsL :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ever wondered what do dentists be thinking about when they are drilling your teeth?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Developed a dry socket after getting a tooth extracted, anyone who had it will know what I'm talking about.

Never want to experience that again.

This worked for me: Sterile needle, few jentle jabs around the top of the socket; blood (small amount) flows into the socket; almost instant relief.

Socket on bottom of mouth, obviously. If it had been on top, I would have inverted my head and got someone else to do the jabbing.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Had to have a root canal. Once. Never again. I'd prefer to be gummy than ever have one again.

Dentistry is way over priced in Ireland, along with Irish dentists running down foreign dentists as though the foreign dentists are putting wooden pegs in for implants.

Health board dentists butchered and terrified me in childhood. As an adult I only go if I really have to.

Had to have a root canal. Once. Never again. I'd prefer to be gummy than ever have one again.

Dentistry is way over priced in Ireland, along with Irish dentists running down foreign dentists as though the foreign dentists are putting wooden pegs in for implants.

Health board dentists butchered and terrified me in childhood. As an adult I only go if I really have to.

There is absolutely no reason for a root canal or indeed any dental procedure to be very painful.

I used to be terrified of dentists thanks to bad experiences in childhood. Then I found my current one and he is amazing. I had a root canal done. I sat back in the chair with headphones on and relaxing scenes of the sea on a screen in front of me.

Not a bother. If I needed another one in the morning it wouldn't cost me a thought on the pain front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

There is absolutely no reason for a root canal or indeed any dental procedure to be very painful.

I used to be terrified of dentists thanks to bad experiences in childhood. Then I found my current one and he is amazing. I had a root canal done. I sat back in the chair with headphones on and relaxing scenes of the sea on a screen in front of me.

Not a bother. If I needed another one in the morning it wouldn't cost me a thought on the pain front.

Agreed. My dentist told me root canal is only painful if you've an infected or abscessed tooth. Otherwise its no worse than getting a filling.

I had root canal (painless), a wisdom tooth out (quick and painless) and a scale and polish.
    I found the scale and polish the worst of the lot and even then it was only the injection in the top gum which hurt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I was just thinking of that one-way mission to Mars and was wondering how many dentists were going. Because DIY dentistry doesn't sound like a lot of fun:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32481442
    During an expedition to the Antarctic, Russian surgeon Leonid Rogozov became seriously ill.
    Being a surgeon, he had no difficulty in diagnosing acute appendicitis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It really does pay to get a good recommendation for a dentist, you really can't judge them all by one experience. I go to one who is absolutely lovely and I never feel remotely nervous going to him, he never hurts and I always feel totally calm. I've had really awkward wisdom teeth removed, all sorts, never a bother. He says a few words during the procedure like "don't worry it's going really well, you're doing fine, half way there now" etc which really helps.

Then a few weeks ago at easter I broke a back tooth and needed it filled and as my own dentist wasn't there I went to another in town. I got a real insight into why people hate the dentist. He had no manner, didn't speak to me once I walked in, talked about me to the nurse "God, would she ever just hold her mouth open!" etc rather than asking me to, didn't care that he was hurting me, told me the pain was just nerves and that I seemed really nervous. What I was was really uncomfortable. Then to top it off as he drilled n battered away he started telling me he'd had a patient earlier in the day who got so nervous during a procedure that she had a panic attack, became convinced she would die and fainted in the chair. I came out feeling I'd gone 5 rounds in the ring.

I would never just pick one at random out of the phonebook again, I'd get a recommendation. So if you have had a bad experience it really might be just a one off and go to a different person next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Lucky you.

Mine entailed 4 two hour sessions with the endodontist (one with the normal dentist prior), constant gagging from the cotton touching my tongue, a visit to A&E after the chemicals leached into my sinus cavity and caused acute sinusitis so severe that I couldn't walk and vomited if I moved my head.

All that and stripped of a grand for the pleasure. No thanks. I lost a month of my life to it, nearly a stone in weight and the knowledge that I'd never go through it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I get my teeth cleaned every 6/7 months.
    I got my first filling in January at the ripe old age of 27.
    I had one wisdom tooth pulled and need 3 more surgically removed but they'll sedate me for that.

That's about the extent of my horror stories

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36140189
    A Dutchman dubbed the "dentist of horror" has been sentenced to eight years in jail in France for mutilating the mouths of some 120 patients.
    The court in the central French town of Nevers heard that patients had suffered broken jaws, recurrent abscesses and septicaemia from van Nierop's work. He had drugged patients then mutilated them as they slept in his dentist's chair.

Advertisement