Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What courses do you suggest?

• 24-07-2015 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

A very broad question, I know. :D

So I've done the L2 RYA and I would now describe myself as an "experienced beginner". I want to improve, primarily for leisure, but I see where racing comes into the scene and the positive impact it has on skills/handling.

I was thinking of taking this course: Competent Crew: http://www.inss.ie/yacht-programme/competent-crew-practical.288.html (probably next year, at this stage, the dates don't suit me), along with perhaps something like the Essential Navigation: http://www.inss.ie/shorebased-courses/essential-navigation-seamanship.306.html

Aside from actual time on the water, on as many different boats as I can, is there anything else anyone would suggest?

Is it, for example, worth progressing onto the Level 3 RYA?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    A very broad question, I know. :D

So I've done the L2 RYA and I would now describe myself as an "experienced beginner". I want to improve, primarily for leisure, but I see where racing comes into the scene and the positive impact it has on skills/handling.

I was thinking of taking this course: Competent Crew: http://www.inss.ie/yacht-programme/competent-crew-practical.288.html (probably next year, at this stage, the dates don't suit me), along with perhaps something like the Essential Navigation: http://www.inss.ie/shorebased-courses/essential-navigation-seamanship.306.html

Aside from actual time on the water, on as many different boats as I can, is there anything else anyone would suggest?

Is it, for example, worth progressing onto the Level 3 RYA?

I think (and I'm VERY much open to correction on this!) that the RYA levels are most useful if you're doing them with a view to getting an instructor qualification.

The two courses you've posted (both are widely available from other places although the INSS are very well regarded - and again, I've no connection to them, just have done courses in the past with them, as well as other schools) are how I'd advise to progress your sailing. The shorebased theory is quite a wide-ranging course, and a very interesting addition to the practical side of sailing - although a lot of it, if you're not using it regularly, you'll forget quick enough. Still, you'll at least know what you should know, IYKWIM.

As an adult recreational sailor, be it cruising or racing or both, I'd advise a progression through Competent Crew, Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper (now known as Yachtmaster Coastal) and on to offshore if that grabs you. You don't have to do each one, if you have the miles and the experience you can jump in at any level (the first qualification I got was Coastal Skipper). They're not particularly cheap things to do, especially if you do a preparation course before your practical test (which I would highly recommend) - but they're quite testing and certainly for me gave me confidence in myself and my abilities.

That's just my two cents on it. I'd be very interested to hear other opinions!

Best of luck with it - just keep on geting out on the water is the main thing - you never stop learning!

ETA - I've just actually read your links (duh) and the navigation one is like an introduction to nav. What I was talking about was the shorebased theory courses that are run in most clubs over the winter months - open to all comers - which are a requirement to do the practical yachtmaster exams. They'd be much more comprehensive than what's in the link you posted - but maybe as a recent starter in sailing it might be a bit much too soon? Although I suspect probably not. http://www.sailing.ie/en-gb/training/shorebasedtrainingcourses/shorebasednavigation.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've done next to zero training, some day I will do a coastal skipper and hopefully open ocean. I've seen people who are totally green do the day skipper and I have to wonder why, as crew they still needed to be shown what to do, where not to stand.... Starting out as crew, read the RYA books and get on the water as crew racing around the cans.... then do the training you'll know more going into it and take more in during the training. To me it's experience that counts and learning from others as you go before you call your self a skipper and take others out... (not saying you are going to do that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I think (and I'm VERY much open to correction on this!) that the RYA levels are most useful if you're doing them with a view to getting an instructor qualification.

As I work in education, this is something that has been at the back of my mind. I didn't do the RYA specifically to get onto an instructor track, I did them quite simply because they were available where I live. However, the thought of teaching sailing does appeal to me. However, I can't help but feel that is a long, long way off. :pac:
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Best of luck with it - just keep on geting out on the water is the main thing - you never stop learning!

Yeah, though I have to progress past the Laser Pico. I was out on one the other day in Malahide and I think it is time I stopped being such a scaredy-cat and just get over it and get onto a bigger boat like an SB20, or that catameran that I bought....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

As you progress through the Yachtmaster levels you'll need to accrue sea-miles as well, particularly for an offshore cert.
    Best way to do this is get involved with some of the ISORA racing and have the skipper sign a log book for you. It's also a great way to learn navigation skills, especially at night.

I really fear for a lot of boats if the GPS system ever goes offline, I think the people that can still navigate "old school" are in the minority these days.

What do you need Yachtmasters for? Someday when you're rich and famous, you might want to charter a boat on the Med or on a river in Germany or France, I'm pretty sure you need it for this. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As I work in education, this is something that has been at the back of my mind. I didn't do the RYA specifically to get onto an instructor track, I did them quite simply because they were available where I live. However, the thought of teaching sailing does appeal to me. However, I can't help but feel that is a long, long way off. :pac:

Yeah, though I have to progress past the Laser Pico. I was out on one the other day in Malahide and I think it is time I stopped being such a scaredy-cat and just get over it and get onto a bigger boat like an SB20, or that catameran that I bought....:o

Are you back living in Ireland or just on holiday?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you back living in Ireland or just on holiday?

Just on holiday for a few weeks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just on holiday for a few weeks.

Enjoy it!

Don't suppose you are about until end of August and fancy crewing in a 2 day cat race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

This rain stuff will be pretty new to you then.... :D

Stheno wrote: »
    Enjoy it!

Don't suppose you are about until end of August and fancy crewing in a 2 day cat race?

Unfortunately not. Heading back on the 18th of August.
    Steve wrote: »
    This rain stuff will be pretty new to you then.... :D

Stop. It's killing me. Had to turn on the heating in the house last night.

Stop. It's killing me. Had to turn on the heating in the house last night.

Grief!

• Advertisement
Advertisement