Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hulk Hogan gone from WWE.... defeats Gawker!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

So they are reporting that he said that if his daughter was going to be riding some black man he'd rather it was a basketball player than some random producers son.

Is there a full transcript somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It's not the same, but the Ultimate Warrior was a fierce strong homophobe and even did talks on the issue and he got his HOF and the memorial award so... I even read that Warraior was accused of being a racist too but I cant see anything concrete from the quick look I gave.

Well, according to The Iron Shiek, Warrior got money for 'bluejobs and hamjobs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As much as I don't like Hogan in general (regardless of this thing) I think this should blow all over soon enough

Like this is a private conversation that was stupidly taped and he was talking about his daughter and clearly he got really emotional about it , I don't know obviously what he said was very very very wrong but I'm sure he regrets it , he should just come out on TV or something clarify the whole situation and apologize for it ...Only way really

Don't think this will blow over. It reminds me of the Ron Atkinson incident where he was caught on his mic making racist comments. He's apologized many times since - but no one associated with the sport has gone near him.

The only chance he has for any sort of redemption is to apologize profusely over and over and over again in as many places as possible. He'll have to devote months for this, and even then WWE won't be going near him any time soon. If he shows strong remorse, and is forgiven by black people close to him, then perhaps the wider public will give him a chance down the line. I'd still not be certain though.

Racism is in the public eye in the US in a big way right now after that shooting by the racist gunman in South Carolina, the debates about the Confederate flag, and the scary number of attacks on black people by the police force. He really couldn't have had a worse time for this to come into the public spotlight. That's why it was essential for WWE to act decisively, which they've done.

Whatever happens, he has tainted his name with this and that's a great shame - but it's his own fault. I doubt this is an isolated incident though as I suspect there are dozens of wrestlers, if not more, who hold similar views to Hogan. But the difference is Hogan has been caught and they haven't. Well, not yet at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 braniganl

Crap that Hulk will always be remembered for being a racist now. Not that surprising though considering the era he came up through the business in. Can't see WWE touching him again for a good few years. TNA will probably have him back, if they still exist in a years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I feel a bit sorry for him. I doubt he's really racist at all, seems to have been ranting in private about his daughter and misdirected it in anger.

Don't get me wrong he ****ed up but he ****ed up in private, and someone somewhere is profiteering from this, which isn't right either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,700 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

His lawyer David Houston confirmed to PEOPLE that he's officially resigned from the organization.

"He decided to resign from WWE because he didn't want to put them or his family through this," Houston told PEOPLE.

WWE, however, maintains that Hogan was fired: "WWE terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (a.k.a. Hulk Hogan). WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide."

“Eight years ago I used offensive language during a conversation. It was unacceptable for me to have used that offensive language; there is no excuse for it; and I apologize for having done it,” Hogan said in a statement exclusively to PEOPLE. The transcript featuring that conversation was published online by the National Enquirer.

“This is not who I am. I believe very strongly that every person in the world is important and should not be treated differently based on race, gender, orientation, religious beliefs or otherwise,” Hogan told PEOPLE. “I am disappointed with myself that I used language that is offensive and inconsistent with my own beliefs.”

http://www.people.com/article/hulk-hogan-racist-rant-statement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭briany

Kurt Angle always thought he had a HoF place safe. Until now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I hear ya. I in no way condone the hateful, ignorant words he spouted. That said, it's not really fair on him that something in his home, 8 years ago, was said in confidence, recorded without consent and the stuff got out into the public eye; it's not like he was backstage at a WWE event.
    His silver lining is that he has a stronger case against Gawker, who have cost him his job with WWE. Probably won't get that $100,000,000 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

So, Hogan's been Benoited?

11752629_662628087212908_3864862425443580357_n.jpg?oh=e37a3bb33cea6a6c5ca29a2e880b4105&oe=560E2FD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I can agree that eradicating him from history is wrong. WWE are being way over the top by doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭briany

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I can agree that eradicating him from history is wrong. WWE are being way over the top by doing that.

He'll only be erased from history until whenever the whole thing blows over, which may be tomorrow or may be never.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Mod edit: Offensive post

I'm no PC warrior by any means, but you're post is a poor reflection of any intelligence you might have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

This whole thing smacks of double standards by those offended.

Surely the fact that white people cant use the ****** word but black people can is double standards of the highest degree

Edit: Jesus even boards.ie has the word ****** in its swear filter ffs

Nope, not really. Firstly, black people vary on if they should even use the term, many do it as reclaiming a word that was traditionally used to insult. Secondly, it was a term that's associated with oppressing black people. White people using the term is far worse because the simple fact is they were oppressors of black people for centuries. It was used to denigrate and their rights were opposed and trodden, such terms were a part of that.

So nope, not a double standard. It would be a double standard if you were to ignore the entire historical background of the term. That's why it's taboo. Hogan uses the term to denigrate throughout that transcript btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Below Is some of what he is alleged to have said.

http://readtalkshare.com/2015/07/24/breaking-news-hulk-hogan-calls-the-rock-the-n-word-gets-dropped-from-wwe/

If it's true then he is absolutely finished, and rightfully so, horrible comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Below Is some of what he is alleged to have said.

http://readtalkshare.com/2015/07/24/breaking-news-hulk-hogan-calls-the-rock-the-n-word-gets-dropped-from-wwe/

If it's true then he is absolutely finished, and rightfully so, horrible comments.

That's been confirmed as fake already, but the supposedly real dialogue is still pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

They should bring back Zeus and make an angle out of this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Add him to the list Ron Atkinson, Mel Gibson, he's finished in the industry.
    If theres anything a closet racist hates its been associated with an open racist.

I do think the Benoit style removal like he never existed is a bit knee jerk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 G Spark

I don't like Hogan but this PC **** is going too far. Words can be said in anger or frustration but they don't always reflect who the person really is or what their beliefs are.

Fair play to Virgil though, he saw the opportunity for some easy publicity and a chance to endear himself to Hogan and he took it. He might get a few bookings out of it.

I wonder if this could change the direction of New Day in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I don't like Hogan but this PC **** is going too far. Words can be said in anger or frustration but they don't always reflect who the person really is or what their beliefs are.

Fair play to Virgil though, he saw the opportunity for some easy publicity and a chance to endear himself to Hogan and he took it. He might get a few bookings out of it.

I wonder if this could change the direction of New Day in any way?

Standard "PC gone mad" post.

What a disaster for Hulk Hogan! A real childhood hero for so many. I'm not that surprised given his recent antics and the WWE is right to get rid of him in my opinion. The quick definitive action by WWE has to be commended.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,700 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A big push for all African American wrestlers in the coming weeks.

Standard "PC gone mad" post.

What a disaster for Hulk Hogan! A real childhood hero for so many. I'm not that surprised given his recent antics and the WWE is right to get rid of him in my opinion. The quick definitive action by WWE has to be commended.

Rubbish. People are far too easily offended these days and the media is always waiting to jump all over this kind of nonsense. WWE did the right thing from a corporate point of view but that's what is expected these days. One little slip and the lynch mob gathers.

I'm sure we have all said things at various stages of our lives that could be considered offensive but when you are in the public eye you will be lambasted for it these days.

A big push for all African American wrestlers in the coming weeks.

It's possible.

Ron Simmons got a world title to counter racism claims in WCW I seem to remember.

Rubbish. People are far too easily offended these days and the media is always waiting to jump all over this kind of nonsense. WWE did the right thing from a corporate point of view but that's what is expected these days. One little slip and the lynch mob gathers.

I'm sure we have all said things at various stages of our lives that could be considered offensive but when you are in the public eye you will be lambasted for it these days.

You've made similar comments to Hogan's? Because I haven't.

You've made similar comments to Hogan's? Because I haven't.

Don't twist my words, that's not what I said. :rolleyes:

I'll repeat it though and maybe you will read it more carefully this time as you sit atop your high horse.

There are things people say, about everything and anything that others will be offended by but they are only words. It could be race, religion, sex, whatever you can think of! These witch hunts are just boring now.

If you can be offended by the words you have heard then you should also be willing to listen to the words that constitute an apology.

Don't twist my words, that's not what I said. :rolleyes:

I'll repeat it though and maybe you will read it more carefully this time as you sit atop your high horse.

There are things people say, about everything and anything that others will be offended by but they are only words. It could be race, religion, sex, whatever you can think of! These witch hunts are just boring now.

If you can be offended by the words you have heard then you should also be willing to listen to the words that constitute an apology.

Specific to what Hulk Hogan said, I believe it's not acceptable. WWE has black employees and fans. They don't have to tolerate that and will take encouragement from the management moving so swiftly to terminate his contract. A message that racism will not be tolerated.

I presume you know there's a big issue of racism in America for the last 300 years or so.

Specific to what Hulk Hogan said, I believe it's not acceptable. WWE has black employees and fans. They don't have to tolerate that and will take encouragement from the management moving so swiftly to terminate his contract.

I presume you know there's a big issue of racism in America for the last 300 years or so.

Well presumed... :rolleyes:

The words were said in anger. People say things in anger that they regret later. Have you ever sworn at somebody and felt bad about it later? It happens but it's not the end of the world. Hogan should have been given the chance to explain himself before being axed like that. The vilification being directed towards Hogan is totally OTT but then again, OTT seems to be the new normal these days.

Remember too that this is coming from a company that has in the past and is presently running angles which are clearly race related. There have been many xenophobic angles in WWE/F through the years too but it's ok if they do it because then it's "just a storyline".

Well presumed... :rolleyes:

The words were said in anger. People say things in anger that they regret later. Have you ever sworn at somebody and felt bad about it later? It happens but it's not the end of the world. Hogan should have been given the chance to explain himself before being axed like that. The vilification being directed towards Hogan is totally OTT but then again, OTT seems to be the new normal these days.

Remember too that this is coming from a company that has in the past and is presently running angles which are clearly race related. There have been many xenophobic angles in WWE/F through the years too but it's ok if they do it because then it's "just a storyline".

When people are angry they lob racist slurs but they aren't racist? Ok.

It's not vilification, it's just calling Hogan an ass, which he seems to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lest we not forget seeing X-Pac and Road Dogg blacked up.....

Or....Goldust

Or The Mexicools....

Advertisement